Home
Posted By: centershot Opinions on Weaver K6 6-38 - 12/27/17
Anyone have experience with these? Would like to try a fixed 6X rifle scope and Leupolds are getting pretty expensive. Wondering if this would be a worthy option. Thanks.
Yes, it's a good option. A bit tight on eye relief at times. A bit short on tube-mounting-length, which can make it a tight to impossible fit on some long actions.
I have a bunch of the Weaver classic K and V series scopes. I also have a bunch of Leupold VX-I's and II's. Aside from the shorter eye relief that DakotaDeer mentions, I consider the Weaver's better than the Leupold's. Optically they are pretty close to dead even but the Weaver's adjustments are clearly better.
The 6x38 works very well on a short action Rem 700. To use it on a Win M70 FWT short action, I had to use a reverse front Leupold base. It's all because of the long taper of the front tube and the short eye relief. Optically, they are just a shade below the Leupold FXII 6x36, but I like the Weaver duplex better than the Leupold wide duplex.

I no longer have any 6x38s but do have several 4x38s. They have a little more eye relief plus they work really well on a .22 rifle. Parallax is set at 100 vs 150 for the Leupold.

Here's the rub: try selling a Weaver vs a Leupold. I like the Leupold best. It is a slim, and trim rig. Much smaller than the Weaver. Resale is better too.
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Opinions on Weaver K6 6-38 - 12/28/17
Whichever way you go, you will like your straight 6X. On a pain old "huntin' rifle", it's all you need. Not to offend anyone, but if you think you need a 6 - 24X with a BDC reticle and side focus to kill a whitetail at 300 yards, what you really need is to learn to shoot.
Posted By: pointer Re: Opinions on Weaver K6 6-38 - 12/28/17
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Yes, it's a good option. A bit tight on eye relief at times. A bit short on tube-mounting-length, which can make it a tight to impossible fit on some long actions.
This mirrors my limited experience with the K6. I mounted one a 243 RAR for the boys. I was able to get it set properly for them, but there's not a lot of wiggle room left. It's a bit less forgiving to get behind than some other scopes I've used, but still easy enough. My 7yo was able to find this yearling doe at 151yds... laugh
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr
Love the photo ! That's what it's all about right there. Bob
DakotaDeer pretty much summed it up. I bought two, but was only able to use one because of the limitations he mentioned. I suspect that long objective appeared fairly recently. Anyway, I ended up putting mine on a .22 that needed an upgrade and like it there.
Posted By: szihn Re: Opinions on Weaver K6 6-38 - 12/29/17
I think very highly of the K4 and the K6.

I personally like the 4 better and I am also fond of the old K3 and K2.5
I wish Weaver would return to making such scopes in 2X and 3X also.

But my own rifles now have quite a few k4s on them, and my 404 Jeffery has a K2.5

If I could have them make a "dream scope" for me it would be a 30MM tube with a 40MM objective. 4X magnafaction. Spring tempered stainless tube and a reticle that had 4 MOA dots or dashes, going to the bottom of the scope's field at 6:00, so I could use it to figure my own drops with the loads I use. Fast and easy to dope your drops that way, and super easy to learn and remember.

If Weaver made such a scope I'd buy 6-8 of them right off. Maybe more. I's take off some of the scopes I have now and sell them to the folks that think gadgets are cool, and replace them with the scope I just described.
This would be a HUNTERS scope. No crap hung all over inside, no variable power settings, no adjustable parallax ring, no stupid target turrets. Just a sight that never fails and is rugged as a splitting maul.

Such a sight is good for shotguns with slugs, 30-30s, 270s, 300 ultra mags, 408 ChyTacs and everything else that you HUNT with. A scope is supposed to be a SIGHT and the shooting is up to the shooter to learn. KISS rule all the way.

All that fancy stuff does have a place in shooting, but not very often in hunting. It's just more stuff to make mistakes with. As a guide I have seen such mistakes so many times that I can't believe others are not demanding the same kind of scope I just described.

The K4 and K6 are the closest thing to it on the market today.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Opinions on Weaver K6 6-38 - 12/29/17
I don't know about where you guys buy your rings and bases, or what you prefer...

But as far as a K 4 or K 6 not being able to be put on a long action...

The ones I have, have all spent time on long action rifles...predominantly
model 70s...but also Rugers..

on the Model 70s, I just used Weaver rings and Leupold rifleman bases...
Weaver also offers an extended base and ring, which I have used on a couple of
long action Model 700s over the last 30 years...

I've owned as many Weaver K series and V series as I have Leupold scopes...
The Weavers had better tracking on the adjustments for sure...

and then when I bought mine, the K series was $99 and the V series was usually $119, unless on sale
for $99.. via Mid South or Natchez...
Originally Posted by Seafire
I don't know about where you guys buy your rings and bases, or what you prefer...

But as far as a K 4 or K 6 not being able to be put on a long action...

The ones I have, have all spent time on long action rifles...predominantly
model 70s...but also Rugers..

on the Model 70s, I just used Weaver rings and Leupold rifleman bases...
Weaver also offers an extended base and ring, which I have used on a couple of
long action Model 700s over the last 30 years...

I've owned as many Weaver K series and V series as I have Leupold scopes...
The Weavers had better tracking on the adjustments for sure...

and then when I bought mine, the K series was $99 and the V series was usually $119, unless on sale
for $99.. via Mid South or Natchez...

Sent you a PM Seafire.
Posted By: Shag Re: Opinions on Weaver K6 6-38 - 12/29/17
Big Weaver straight 4 or 6 guy. But at dusk and dawn even a leupold vx-1 wins.
Originally Posted by Shag
Big Weaver straight 4 or 6 guy. But at dusk and dawn even a leupold vx-1 wins.
Haven't compared a K-4 or K-6 side by side with one of my vx-1's but have just recently compared a V-10 and a VX-1 side by side at dusk and the V-10 was slightly but clearly better. Have also compared my K-2.5 and VX-1 1-4X20 side by side with the VX-1 set at 2.5x and the K-2.5 wins without a doubt.
Shag,

I ran a new 6x38 through my night-time chart test in 2014, and it rated better than a new Leupold VX-2.
Originally Posted by centershot
Anyone have experience with these? Would like to try a fixed 6X rifle scope and Leupolds are getting pretty expensive. Wondering if this would be a worthy option. Thanks.

I tried one and thought it fell too far short of the Leupolds, besides the attractive price. Eyebox was too tight, critical IIRC.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I consider the Weaver's better than the Leupold's. Optically they are pretty close to dead even but the Weaver's adjustments are clearly better.

But-don't-sight-them-in-the-cold-because-they-tend-not-to-move-until-they-warm-up-sometimes.
I have that scope and like the optics but the eye relief is just too short for a long action bolt gun...this is most important to me in selecting a scope and is the main reason I like Leupolds. Although it seems to work fine for other shooters.

On a short action bolt gun I could live with it, but why?....the eye relief is still too short for me even on a short action.

What these Weavers have going for them is decent optics and light weight at a cheap price. The K6X38 sits in it's box now. Though I am seriously thinking of mounting it on a Ruger 77/22 squirrel rifle.
Absolutely for the price the K6 is an excellent option to a Leupold FX II 6x36 but id still rather have the Leupold as it is a superior scope as it should be for twice the cost.......Hb
Posted By: micky Re: Opinions on Weaver K6 6-38 - 12/31/17
I think they are both really good scopes. With the limitations I put a K6 on a Howa mini in 7.62x39 and a FX-ii on a Remington 721 in 300 h&h. Both work very well.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Opinions on Weaver K6 6-38 - 01/01/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Originally Posted by Blackheart
I have a bunch of the Weaver classic K and V series scopes. I also have a bunch of Leupold VX-I's and II's. Aside from the shorter eye relief that DakotaDeer mentions, I consider the Weaver's better than the Leupold's. Optically they are pretty close to dead even but the Weaver's adjustments are clearly better.

My thoughts also.
Like the OP I have been mulling over the same dilemma for my Winchester M70 FW in .30-06. While most of my scopes are Leupold variables, I recently acquired a pre64 M70 with a late 40s Weaver K4. That old Weaver scope is bright, easy to use and easy to adjust after all of these years. When I look at the price of a Weaver versus Leupold I am certainly drawn into the Weaver direction. I just wonder about the quality and reliability of the new Weavers versus the old.

I really like the idea of a fixed power 4x-6x scope. Simple, put it up and use it, don't have to worry about what power to set it at. Easy to say, but I have never used my old K4 in a hunting situation yet. My late season cow elk tag should give me the opportunity to try it out.

My shooting experience and ability probably limits me to under 200 yards, maybe 300. At 200 4x does not seem to be an issue. At 300 the advantage of the variable would seem to kick in for me. Which makes me think maybe 6x might better option.

As someone pointed out you cannot beat the look and resale value of the gold ringed Leupold. But then again, I have not sold any of my rifles!

Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
The 6x38 works very well on a short action Rem 700. To use it on a Win M70 FWT short action, I had to use a reverse front Leupold base. It's all because of the long taper of the front tube and the short eye relief. Optically, they are just a shade below the Leupold FXII 6x36, but I like the Weaver duplex better than the Leupold wide duplex.

I no longer have any 6x38s but do have several 4x38s. They have a little more eye relief plus they work really well on a .22 rifle. Parallax is set at 100 vs 150 for the Leupold.

Here's the rub: try selling a Weaver vs a Leupold. I like the Leupold best. It is a slim, and trim rig. Much smaller than the Weaver. Resale is better too.

Resale isn't as bad as it seems, I've sold several "Classic" K4 and V9 scopes, usually for around 80% of new price. Keep in mind, there is a pretty fair range as far as new price, it pays to shop around a bit.

For what it's worth, I have a total of ONE scope mounted that is NOT a Classic K4(Burris FFII 3-9x40) on my personal rifles. The K4 seems to work fine on a long action(M98, M70). At the limit for eye relief though think you would need offset front ring for the K6's shorter eye relief on a long action. I do like their "Dual X" better than the Leupold plex.
© 24hourcampfire