Home
I think I'm tired of carrying the weight of the 10x42.

Will 8x32s do it all, almost?

Meaning - will the performance drop from an alpha 10x42 to an alpha 8x32 be small enough that:

A) I won't care or notice
B) I'll be happy to have shed some weight and heft

Mostly interested in the Ultravid 8x32 and the Swarovision 8x32. Both feel beautiful in hand. Favoring the ELs for the nod to Swarovski's history of impeccable customer service.
Certainly they will.

A. You may not care or notice...I would.
B. Of course.
I have had to use my wife's 8x30 Swaros on a couple of hunts, and I missed my 10x42s--especially as the sun went behind the mountains. But then, as a working biologist/ranch manager, I carried the 10x42s every day and used them constantly--in the pickup, on horseback or afoot. Still do even though I am pretty much retired.
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Meaning - will the performance drop from an alpha 10x42 to an alpha 8x32 be small enough that:

Mostly interested in the Ultravid 8x32 and the Swarovision 8x32. Both feel beautiful in hand. Favoring the ELs for the nod to Swarovski's history of impeccable customer service.

BTDT - and had the earlier versions of both optics you're considering. And went back to 42mm as my main optic. smile
You will definitely notice a difference in performance at dark-thirty.

Are you currently using a harness or neck strap?

Harness
I think it depends upon your hunting methods. For desert mule deer, we used to drive the ranch two tracks, looking for targets. You could see for miles. I used a Swarovski 8x30 SLC successfully to spot deer, a spotting scope to evaluate them, then stalk, sometimes around two miles, carrying the 8x30 and my rifle. I was happy with my tools. I also used the same binocular while hunting white tails, unless I was using a small pocket binocular. Your method may or may not be compatible with a smaller glass.

Best wishes,

Jack
Last fall when I had to send my 10x40 ClassiC's in for service I used my SLC 7x30 which I normally use for back east woods hunting.

Really worked well out here in the west and I wondered why I need 10x40's.
Method for whitetails is elevated box blinds and picky shooting. Rarely shoot near last light unless its a deer that was out earlier for evaluation of age class, etc. Same with first light. If a deer slips off before I can evaluate, then he slips off.
I'm an oddball and like the 8x42 Swarovski SLC. My belief is slightly more depth of view and brightness. But that doesn't solve your shed weight requirement. 8x32 Alpha likely pretty good, just never owned any.
I have Leica 7x42 and Nikon 8x32. Neither have been as good to my eyes at seeing far as a fair bino in 10x42. Now I love the 7x42s for timber/brush hunting and still us them for all hunting because I don't have any 10 powers. The Leica's are still heavy by todays standard to. Bought them 10 year ago.
I brought the 8x32 Leica binos and the 10x25 Swarovski binos for birding and while I like the fov with the 8x32's, the one that I take on my walk every day has been the 10x25's.

I’ve used nothing but 8x30/32’s for over 30 years... so the answer is “yes.”

EL’s don’t work for my eyes (rolling ball effect), but if the overly flat field doesn’t bother you, it’s a superb glass. I use Ultravids, but Leica is slated to release an 8x32 Noctivid this year. Might be worth the wait as the finest 8x32 yet.
I use 8x32's [finally got a set of Leicas] for most hunting and have mostly satisfied.

I only miss the 10 x 42s when I am trying to verify racks on small bucks at 200 yards or more. I don't hunt much country where that is a problem.
Good input Brad. Looks like I need to wait and see what Leica will bring.

Dancing Bear --- I guess I break a rule here, as that kind of distance would usually mean I'm tossing up a scope to get a better look. Bc all my scopes are min 10 power or more.

Fair number of folks recently talking about the weight of their binos......

Like Brad, my primary binos for the past 25 years are my 7x30 or 8x30 SLC's which have both been updated, or (drum roll) my 1st gen Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26. With my SLC's I've glassed a lot with other folks who have the 42mm alphas and don't feel disadvantaged.

I've tried the 42mm binos, but decided I don't like big honkers around my neck...........
I'm a died in the wool 10x42 guy, and have been since 1971. I will have to admit, the more I use my 8x30 SLCwb, the more I like it. I also really like the Cabelas Euro 8x32HD. If you don't mind dropping the coin, that Leica Brad refers to is supposed to be top notch, as is the Zeiss FL.
I have owned and hunted with many high end bino's in 10x25, 8x30, 8x32, 8x42 and I like My Swaro EL 8x32's the best, to Me they are the best of both worlds not too heavy and very good optics........Hb
I too prefer 10x when hunting western country. but I do have some of the 8x32 cabelas euro HD's, now that I don't wear glasses anymore, holy crap they have great optics I also have some 10x32 HD's as well, trying to decide which ones I am keeping. the thing I like about that model of Euro HD is they seem to fit the eye sockets in my face, better than the larger x42 binoculars out there. If I wasn't carrying RF binoculars all the time, ie my EL range swaros, I might just go with either the 8 or 10x32 binculars. They are way way smaller, very handy. so to answer your question on 8x32's yeah they can do it all, but I think you need to shell our more money for quailty than a 10x42.
A 32mm objective cannot surpass a 42mm objective at 1st and last light. With that said there are fine x32's available and the Leica and Swarovski certainly are at the top of that list, however, i would stongly suggest you take a look at the Kowa 8x33 Genesis. Here is a Kowa Genesis 8x33 vs Swarovski 8x32 EL Binoculars review posted on another forum.

As always, please feel free to give us a call to discuss what may be the best option for you.
I have the Leica 8x32 HD and they are probably as good as some older generation 8x42. I carry 8x20 Leica for "emergency" and when I intend on glassing, the 8x32. I have bigger glass, but my fetish for weight reduction keeps those in the truck.
Here's a good resource as well;

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x32.html
Thanks JG. I've spent some time there reading.

Not sure what to think about the Swaro 8x32 review - not highly thought of. That said - my eyes love the edge clarity. I'm a picky observer and that perfection to the edge of the Swarovsion is something I notice. Rolling ball doesn't seem to bother me.

Current glass (might help the discussion) is 10x42 Meopta HDs. Wonderful view, and almost alpha. I like the size of the bino (overall length) but they are quite heavy.
I had no idea what the hell a rolling ball was, so I had to look it up.

Recently, the globe effect has been linked to the peculiar properties of human visual perception,[3] which adds a certain amount of barrel distortion to the visual field.[4] The amount of barrel distortion is subject to individual differences, which explains the fact that the perceived intensity of the globe effect varies significantly between different observers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_effect
I bought a demo pair of 8x32SV's before my last trip to Namibia in 2016, intending to take them with me. The view is amazing, but my sample had one major problem that I could not get over. It had terrible glare control when glassing in the general direction of the sun. You may try that next time you look through some and see if yours does the same. I've heard it mentioned a by a few other people as well. Otherwise they are superb IMO.

My 10x42 Meopta HD's are excellent, like yours. I have shorter, thick hands and they are a little bulky to me, but they are extremely well built, tough, and have great optics.

Good luck in your search.
Originally Posted by Big_Red
I'm an oddball and like the 8x42 Swarovski SLC. My belief is slightly more depth of view and brightness.

You are not alone. (that's where I landed)

OA-
If the 8x32 makes your socks go up and down, then that's the one you should get - particularly if weight savings is the major factor.
I always found the open barrels on the EL a little handier (than the Leica) - better immediate sight picture too.
Good input.

The weight isn't a huge factor, I've just been wondering if I can get buy with a little smaller, little less weight, little less mag, and still be a happy observer and hunter. Probably the only way to know is to buy and try. Likely pick up a well known alpha incase I don't like what I see and want to pass them along in the classifieds.
I prefer a harness and good 10x42 binoculars i just see better with 10x42 for me
As a (primarily) backpack/mountain hunter, the additional weight/size of a 40/42mm bin is a deal killer, and a harness is as well. The beauty of the 32mm is you can tuck them under your arm, or let them hang on your chest solo. Or, you can fasten them tight with a sternum strap... they’re just far simpler. I’ll give up the lost 4 minutes of viewing twice a day... I’ve yet to have that matter.

I certainly love the view of a 7x42 or 8x42, I just don’t want them around my neck for most of what I do.

Everything is a compromise weighted one way or another...

Everything that guy named Brad just said.

I can't stand bino bras and bino buckets, one more thing to carry and to get in the way. Or 8lb rifles with scopes big enough to use as a toilet drain for that matter. Not for the kind of hunting I do........
Originally Posted by Brad
As a (primarily) backpack/mountain hunter, the additional weight/size of a 40/42mm bin is a deal killer, and a harness is as well. The beauty of the 32mm is you can tuck them under your arm, or let them hang on your chest solo. Or, you can fasten them tight with a sternum strap... they’re just far simpler. I’ll give up the lost 4 minutes of viewing twice a day... I’ve yet to have that matter.

I certainly love the view of a 7x42 or 8x42, I just don’t want them around my neck for most of what I do.

Everything is a compromise weighted one way or another...

Not a backpacker, but I agree on the first and last bits of light. First light, you are going to have lots more to work with. Last light, often too late to shoot many or most times.
If you shop for some 32mm binocs it is not only the weight but also the size that makes them handy. I've been hunting with an old pair of Zeiss ClassiC 8x32 for example, and they are small enough I can stuff them into the pocket of my parka. So I suggest paying close attention to size, some 8x32 are almost as large as 8x42s.

In regards to the loss of time viewing dusk and dawn, in MHO you can see well enough to shoot with a danged ole Leupold scope within the legal time frame of most situations from 30 minutes before or after sunset. So, yes you can still see during legal light with a high end 8x32 binoc. Although a 42mm will be a little brighter. Also, I've learned that I used to think of legal light as being darker than it really is.
This past season I was in Kansas hunting with an outfitter that had some aps on his smartphone that could forecast the direction of wind, and the exact time of sunset locally. When hunting out of state I pay extremely close attention to legal light because I believe that local game wardens drink coffee with their local hunting buds who complain about out of state hunters, and they more than likely would not pass a chance to charge an out of stater with a violation for even ten minutes of light. Anyway I noticed that stopping at legal light I didn't really need a flash light for part of my hike back to the pick up point

Happy Hunting
Had the SV8x32 and they were fine. I liked the size, but settled for the 8x42SLC. I liked them better than the SV8.5x42. Never had the rolling ball effect, but just liked the SLC's better.
Good input.

The weight isn't a huge factor, I've just been wondering if I can get buy with a little smaller, little less weight, little less mag, and still be a happy observer and hunter. Probably the only way to know is to buy and try. Likely pick up a well known alpha incase I don't like what I see and want to pass them along in the classifieds.

While not wishing to muddy the waters even more, I'll throw this one out there - only because I traveled this route as well in my 7-8 year, never-ending quest to catch my tail. laugh

The Leica 8x42 is the most compact of the full-size alphas. It'll check a couple of your boxes - just not the weight issue.
I wouldn’t wanna handicap myself with 8-32’s, pack a few more ounces, worth it for the trade off...
Originally Posted by SKane
[quote=OutdoorAg]

While not wishing to muddy the waters even more, I'll throw this one out there - only because I traveled this route as well in my 7-8 year, never-ending quest to catch my tail. laugh

The Leica 8x42 is the most compact of the full-size alphas. It'll check a couple of your boxes - just not the weight issue.

The Tract Toric I saw was pretty small too. Also in the 25-26 oz range IIRC.

42mm binos continue to become smaller and lighter, maybe one of the these days..........
To All,

While I'm FAR from an expert on telescopes & binoculars, one of our local TX Master Naturalists is a retired manufacturer's representative for a binocular company.

He said, during our TMN training course classwork, that the diameter of the forward lens should, if divided by the power, equal or exceed 5, to be "fully suitable" for birding, viewing team sports or hunting.
He further said, that he believed that 7x35, 7x50 or 8x40 binoculars were "the best all-around choice" for such activities.

yours, tex
While the 8x32 size is nice and I do like the old 8x30 SLC's I have for mn. deer hunting, when it comes to serious glassing sessions out west, for me a little more weight is actually an asset as it settles things down . I did go with a marsupial bino harness this year and ended up liking it teamed up with my 10x42 geovids, I guess their weight never seems to bother me, even on backpack hunts. Folks talk about that first/last 5 minutes of the day regarding shooting light, but for me the big advantage is perhaps seeing an animal before shooting light in the morning and getting started on a stalk. Out west I'll take the 42mm every time.
To All,

What I'd like to find/buy is a pair of the 7x35 military surplus binoculars, with the built-in range-finder, of the sort that we had when I was in the Army.

yours, tex
It's been posted many times before that some people's pupil's cannot dialate past 5mm, especially older guys. That negates the need for heavier and bigger glass such as the 7x35, 7x50, etc.
8x32's for me, if they won't cut it - neither will a 10x42. Time for a spotter. I have the Nikon Monarch 7's, I recommend you take a look through a set before you spend big $ on an alpha. You may be pleasantly surprised at what $350 will get you.
If I could have an 8x30/2 with an LRF on board, it's all I'd ever use afield.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's been posted many times before that some people's pupil's cannot dialate past 5mm, especially older guys. That negates the need for heavier and bigger glass such as the 7x35, 7x50, etc.

Correct, get's worse as one ages too!
Have a set of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and Leica 8x32. The 32 is the favorite, but the 42's light-up more. 73 here, but the 42's win the race every time. There is light that hits your pupil then there is light that floods the entire eye. And from here there is a difference. Bigger wins and there is more to it than an increase of .5 in the magnification.

Same here with the Leupold 6x36 vs 6x42 rifle scope. The 42 wins.

Equivalent quality of glass being a given.
Will 32 do all or nearly all as 42 = NO

Binos are as important as the Rifle is.
Binoculars must be easy on eyes so not to tire me for I may spend many hours with a Binoculars to pick a Moose’s ears in a willow thicket at 50 m or Wolves at edge of forest at 1000 m, and to find Animal at long distance when they are most active in low light of early morning and late evening or at night so I know there is an Animal in the area (and this is solo purpose of “early” or “late” glassing), it helps me to find-out it is a Buck or Doe, is the Moose heavily covered with ticks, to find distant tracks in snow, and to examine the land between me and Animal for I have much better chance for a successful stalk if I know ridges and depressions I have to pass.

You was wise enough to choose Leica Binos and to conclude Binos are not a place to save money, so use your smartness to answer your own question with Y/No on above purpose of the Binos.

It is better to hunt with $500 Rifle and $2000 Binocular then vice-versa. NEVER GO HUNTING WIHOUT BINOCULARS.
Beside 10x42 I also have Zeiss-ED 10x25 which can be used to just scan the area during bright light.

A little added mass of 200 g (or weight if you like), 560 vs 760 g helps to stabilize the hands.
If i needed to remove 200 g from all i carry, to get food for my wife and me, I will remove my underwear much rather than skimp on Binos, or find that 200 g somewhere else. If convenience bothers you due to size, 32 and 42 are not that much different in size (less than 1 inch in length), but you still find a way to carry what you need for your Hunt for that can change your Hunt a lot, not just Binos.

IF YOU ARE IN CONDITION TO GET LEICA 32 OVER 42, GET IT AND CARRY BOTH. The 42 is to use long time glassing, not just at low light, and 32 will make you well tired for same time. You must never regret to carry Binoses. If tired, stop and rest plus glass, and get into better shape.
Read above again and think about 10x32, you will need it. But make sure you have Leica uvid 10x42 already.
OP
"... Both feel beautiful in hand. Favoring the ELs for the nod to Swarovski's history of impeccable customer service."

Customer service is not much of help when you need it. You will be far from them... I bought Leica HD-plus and first think I did upon opening the box, was to toss the warranty-card into garbage. That is my experience with many Leica products.
I have 10x42 Leica Ultravid HD's. Truly phenomenal glass that have served me well since 2011. My favorite glass in the blind.

That said, I won't hike with them anymore. I've gone to 8x32 and 10x32 Zeiss Victory FL's and absolutely love them for spot and stalk. I've glassed with them for hours at a time with no complaints.

x32's for me. Plenty good well into illegal shooting light where I'm at.
Out West I would use a 10x over an 8X 99 out of 100 days in the field. The one day I wouldn't is after a slight stroke.
We have a old 8x32 Leica BA that is still a great glass. It still will be 50 years from now, I imagine. Designated birder and all-around glass to grab. The exit pupil (aperture) of 4 is ok for me. And was mentioned above, if my camp is on my back, the 8x32 is the glass that goes. But there is more alpine behind me than ahead of me. Daughter uses a fantastic 8x32 EL for everything and I suppose I could borrow that for an upgrade...:)

Unfortunately it usually takes me a few months of comparing of peer glass side by side to learn them and decide, so walking into a store for a looksee and picking one didn't work so well. Have found use a place for an 8x32, 8.5x42 and 10x56 on the gear list for binos to be worn. Like chainsaws there is that power to weight ratio to ponder, complicated by view attributes and brightness. FWIW, overall, overtime--an EP around 5 seems to be the most effective combination of power, brightness and weight for 90% of the hunting situations, I enjoy. That puts me into heavier glass for a 10x than I may occasionally want to tote, though I always use a Crooked Horn bino harness, even for the 8x32 walking around at home.

But there is a lot to be said for using only one binocular--you never suffer from knowing what advantages another glass can provide...
Many older guides on Yukon and Alaska use 8x32 or 8x25, or 10x25. It is not because it is more useful than 10x42 over-there. They just know where and when to find some specific animal so no need 10x, and they do not need to glass a "long time" so 25 or 32 is OK.
But if a Hunter is not one of above than 10x42 is much more useful.
Originally Posted by myYukon

Good grief...
I like my 10x25 because I can fold them over and fit in my shirt pocket. Traveling light is most enjoyable.
A lower power would definitely be easier to look through for an extended time, but the 10x25's are dynamite for getting a closer look at something.
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by myYukon

Good grief...

+1....that's putting it nicely.
© 24hourcampfire