Home
Posted By: 338rcm Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Last scope I sent in for a reticle change cost me $70.Called yesterday and was told $200

WTF??
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Special charge for the pole dancer reticle?

That is pretty steep.
Posted By: hangunnr Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Had one done last spring for $60, was quoted $175 last week.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Dont see the custom shop being to busy in the future
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
I'm trying to reach Leupold about a reticle change, called and was 14th in line and didn't feel like waiting. Sent 2 emails so far and nothing but crickets.
Maybe I'll change to some other manufacturer's reticle.
Posted By: 700xcr Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Yep, they doubled in price. Was quoted $75.00 last spring and called last week and was quoted $150.00 to install a German #4 in a M8 2.5x IER scout scope and $200.00 to change a VX3 2.5-8x36mm German #4 reticle.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Unreal, that is way to expensive. They'll be losing my business.
Posted By: berryns Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
150-200.00 is way too much. I was thinking about a german #4 too.

Ohh well.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
If their quality, tracking, and zero retention issue continues on its current trajectory, the cost of changing the reticle will be the least of Leupold’s concerns. Seems like they are having substantial problems across the board, and are trying to either squeeze a few extra dollars out of their customers, or just trying to dissuade them from sending anything back to them other than for repairs. This certainly does not bolster my confidence in them, nor give me any level of comfort that they are making progress fixing whatever is wrong with their more recent products. A number of scope mfgs have trended this way, and subsequently sunk to the bottom of the barrel, few of which have recovered. I really loved my Leupolds, and do not want to jump on any bandwagon here regarding the recent issues, but the more things i see, hear, and read about them, the more im looking away from their products due to distrust. With the shot show coming up, i hope some of the folks there really take them to task, and maybe they can get them to pull their heads out of the sand, and back on track (no pun intended).

Craig
Lame.

They also gave me the run around a while back about not being able to change reticles any longer on older scopes - and I'm not talking '60s era Leupolds, the one I was inquiring about was made in the '90s.
Posted By: RGK Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Lame.

They also gave me the run around a while back about not being able to change reticles any longer on older scopes - and I'm not talking '60s era Leupolds, the one I was inquiring about was made in the '90s.

Not good. I sent an older M8 3X to them last year for a heavy duplex. They sent me a brand-new 3X from the custom shop w/heavy duplex instead. I was a charged $68 and change. Not looking good at Leupold lately. Their customer service was what always made the difference for me. Looks like that's gone now, too.
Bob
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Just called Friday looking for my ring parts, while I had Leupold on the phone asked about changing Reticle on a 6 X 42 Duplex to LRH they quoted me $125 had to be a post 89 scope. Was not custom shop so quote may have been wrong.
kk, I just had it in mind the scope was a 90's model, but I could sure be off. Though something else that's always been annoying about Leupold is how different employees will give out different info!
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Yep. I use to pick up Dot or Duplex reticle on the cheap,and have them changed out to the old CPC. $56 before shipping. That was a few years back. Quick turn around too.
Posted By: JimH Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Just sent in a 6x33 a.o. compact that the previous owner had sent to Premier and had super fine crosshairs installed.Ask to have German # 4 reticle installed and was quoted 70.00$.Received a call from Leupold saying they could not work on my scope,so instead were sending me a new 6 x Hunter Competition with German # 4-FREE-- ALL COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!
Originally Posted by JimH
Just sent in a 6x33 a.o. compact that the previous owner had sent to Premier and had super fine crosshairs installed.Ask to have German # 4 reticle installed and was quoted 70.00$.Received a call from Leupold saying they could not work on my scope,so instead were sending me a new 6 x Hunter Competition with German # 4-FREE-- ALL COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!

Do you recall the year? Would have been a letter in the serial number as a prefix or suffix.

I had this happen with an older 4x recently. Leupold sent a new 4x to replace an M8. In that particular case it was fine, as they replaced it with essentially the same scope. I would personally be a bit ticked off if I sent a nice sveldt 6x33 with friction turrets and got back a much larger 6x42 with target turrets, even if the new scope is an "upgrade". Or did Leupold change the target turrets out to finger click adjustments on the 6x42? Or did the 6x33 have target turrets to begin with?
Posted By: nuguy Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Sounds to me like they are doing away with repairing scopes or even doing reticle change in scopes. It seems like they are just sending you new scope made with the other reticle instead and charging you $200 to cover it. I’m sure it doesn’t cost them much too much to make the scope to begin with. It would save a lot of money not paying people to do repair/reticle work. Probably why they aren’t repairing older scopes because they are somewhat different and easier to replace ones they currently have ability to make. Who knows but it sure sounds like someone else is in charge at Leupold and is changing everything that everyone liked about them.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Damn, are they trying to run all of us off?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Glad I got my 3-9x40 and 1.5-5 with #4.
I guess I'll have to sell the varix 2.5-8 when. I find one with a #4 already onboard.
Posted By: JimH Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by JimH

Do you recall the year? Would have been a letter in the serial number as a prefix or suffix.

I had this happen with an older 4x recently. Leupold sent a new 4x to replace an M8. In that particular case it was fine, as they replaced it with essentially the same scope. I would personally be a bit ticked off if I sent a nice sveldt 6x33 with friction turrets and got back a much larger 6x42 with target turrets, even if the new scope is an "upgrade". Or did Leupold change the target turrets out to finger click adjustments on the 6x42? Or did the 6x33 have target turrets to begin with?

Yep,would love to have the 6x33 to put on a 52 Winchester, but I only gave 100.00 for it, so not complaining.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Got my first #4 reticle this fall. Kinda on the fence about it. It will likely grow on me. It's in a Meostar,and it's VERY fine in the center. Very course in the other areas. Never dealt with the Leupold #4.

I'm trying to stay in love with Leupold. Over all their products are OK. My rangefinder is top notch. I flat love the Alumina flip ups. Even my VX3i is pretty decent. Like I have stated here in recent times,their in house services are going to he!!.
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
That's interesting. I sent my old 3X in for a Heavy Duplex and received a call that the scope had qualified for a replacement. I asked the guy if they could put a Heavy duplex in it with a matte finish, and was told they come that way. Didn't cost me anything.
I've been following this constant stream of complaints about Leupolds for years. What it always comes down to is the ones with complaints have a general lack of knowledge about scopes in general and Leupolds in particular. On top of that, you get shooters who try to tell you that their favorite brands never break or have issues. Nonsense. They all do. Sometimes it's because of poor mounting practices. Place the rings in the wrong place and/or tighten them up too much and you have problems. With any hunting scope.
Then there are the guys that expect perfect tracking from a hunting scope. I met a guy once who bought three quality tactical/target rifles. Being low on money, he put an expensive Nightforce on one, and they put a couple of VX3's on the two others. And he expected them to do as well. Good luck out past 400 yds. with your dialing.
The real problem with Leupold is they make everything from cheap stuff all the way up to as good a scope as anybody makes for military use. Ever wonder why the military uses and has used so many of their scopes for many years ?
No, if you buy a Leupold, make sure it's made to do what you need it to do. Frankly, if I were to recommend to them to improve anything, it would be to point out to their customers what they are designed to do and what is asking too much of one. They make a scope to fit almost anyone's needs. But if your needs are very demanding, and the shooter needs to understand what that means, then be prepared to pay for it or to accept some design trade offs. E
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by nuguy
Sounds to me like they are doing away with repairing scopes or even doing reticle change in scopes. It seems like they are just sending you new scope made with the other reticle instead and charging you $200 to cover it. I’m sure it doesn’t cost them much too much to make the scope to begin with. It would save a lot of money not paying people to do repair/reticle work. Probably why they aren’t repairing older scopes because they are somewhat different and easier to replace ones they currently have ability to make. Who knows but it sure sounds like someone else is in charge at Leupold and is changing everything that everyone liked about them.

I wonder what they do with all the "old" scopes that they replace with a new one?

My brother sent in a 6X that he's had for years (fogging I think??), they replaced it with a 2.5X8 - no charge.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
That's interesting. I sent my old 3X in for a Heavy Duplex and received a call that the scope had qualified for a replacement. I asked the guy if they could put a Heavy duplex in it with a matte finish, and was told they come that way. Didn't cost me anything.
I've been following this constant stream of complaints about Leupolds for years. What it always comes down to is the ones with complaints have a general lack of knowledge about scopes in general and Leupolds in particular. On top of that, you get shooters who try to tell you that their favorite brands never break or have issues. Nonsense. They all do. Sometimes it's because of poor mounting practices. Place the rings in the wrong place and/or tighten them up too much and you have problems. With any hunting scope.
Then there are the guys that expect perfect tracking from a hunting scope. I met a guy once who bought three quality tactical/target rifles. Being low on money, he put an expensive Nightforce on one, and they put a couple of VX3's on the two others. And he expected them to do as well. Good luck out past 400 yds. with your dialing.
The real problem with Leupold is they make everything from cheap stuff all the way up to as good a scope as anybody makes for military use. Ever wonder why the military uses and has used so many of their scopes for many years ?
No, if you buy a Leupold, make sure it's made to do what you need it to do. Frankly, if I were to recommend to them to improve anything, it would be to point out to their customers what they are designed to do and what is asking too much of one. They make a scope to fit almost anyone's needs. But if your needs are very demanding, and the shooter needs to understand what that means, then be prepared to pay for it or to accept some design trade offs. E

Yes I definately expect a scope to track properly for sight in. Bushnells track properly in my experience leupolds don’t.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Not good news.
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Last scope I sent in for a reticle change cost me $70.Called yesterday and was told $200

WTF??

$120 for a LRD

$200 for a B&C

Hardly makes it worth it.

I have a 2-7 that I'm debating whether to send off for a LRD or just sell it...
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

WTF??

$120 for a LRD

$200 for a B&C

I was told prices start at $200

This thread wasnt intended to bash Leupold as I have good luck with their scopes, just questioning the drastic price increase for reticle changes
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
I was just quoted $200 to install M1 knobs on a Mark IV and another $225 to do a reticle change. For that kind of money, I'll just sell it, put $400 to the proceeds and buy a Nightforce SHV.

I was told prices start at $200

This thread wasnt intended to bash Leupold as I have good luck with their scopes, just questioning the drastic price increase for reticle changes

I called Leupold last week and asked specifically about a 2-7 for a LRD and a 2.5-8 for a B&C. CS asked what was the prefix or suffix on the scopes. It sounded as though if either one was made before the late 80's it couldn't be done.

I've heard that before, so I'm assuming that something changed in the Vari-X II and III lines at that time.

The charge for the recticle change doubled on Jan 1. I think it's a bit much, but maybe that's what it's costing them.

And I'll still be using my Leupolds on all my lighter hunting rifles. Just ebay'd a VX-1 3-9 with LRD for $139. Too hard to resist........ crazy
Posted By: Brad Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

$120 for a LRD

$200 for a B&C

Casey, here's a better alternative:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1035913-REG/leupold_110795_vx_2_2_7x33_lr_duplex.html
Posted By: nuguy Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Yeah easier just to buy a new scope.
Brad,

That seems to be the going price for the VX-2, 2-7's and 3-9's with LRD. I've seen that price on a couple other websites. A VX-2, 2-7 with LRD sold on "But it now" ebay for $175 last weekend. I can also buy a 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 with B&C for $390 to my door on a few websites.

Secondly, I have VX-1's and a VX-2 in 2-7, and the difference in quality of view is not noticeable except in a couple circumstances, and even then it's really small. One nice thing about the three 2-7's I've bought in the last two years is the usual stupidly stiff magnification ring is now MUCH easier to turn. I don't know if Leupold has changed something in the 2-7's or I just got lucky.

Which is why I'm leaning towards sending in that VX-1 2-7 and shelling out the $120 plus shippiing. cry
Posted By: rost495 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18

If you think L won't hold up to dialing, WHY DO THEY MAKE CDS then?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Which makes me think the 2 I have problems with I should just sell before everyone finds out they ain't worth a flip like the old ones were. And the one I have 6x42 with a thick duplex that I wanted knobs and regular duplex on for a sheep rifle, well I guess I"ll just have to sell it too.

Damn the luck as they say, but I generally am so slow at trying to get things done I get screwed often.

At least they are replacing scopes for some for no charge. Maybe I should try that first. Then sell the new ones.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/21/18
Wow. Seems like not that many years ago I was quoted $40 for a reticle change. I have two Leupolds I was thinking about having changed. So much for that.
Casey, I have a new VX2 2-7x33 LRD with the lack of ocular lock ring, and indeed its power ring is easier to turn. Unlike what they’ve done to the VX3(i), I really like the new VX2’s.
Originally Posted by Brad
Casey, I have a new VX2 2-7x33 LRD with the lack of ocular lock ring, and indeed its power ring is easier to turn. Unlike what they’ve done to the VX3(i), I really like the new VX2’s.

You mentioned before you don't like the 3i. What don't you like about them compared to previous generations?
Casey, the i-version’s OA mounting length is just enough shorter than the non-i version it won’t fit an M70 LA with the Talley x-Lows I prefer. I find the power knob unecessarily large (that’s where the mounting problem comes from). I find the power designation #’s on the power ring crude and fugly, and on a more minor note, I dislike the squared-off tacticool machining on the windage/elevation housing compared to the older, elegant, round machining.

Needless to say I bought up some older VX3 2.5-8’s and 3.5-10’s. I have one VX3i 2.5-8-36 I paid $280 for which is going on a 22lr.
I thought the larger knob on the power ring would be an asset, but it's not. I actually like the knob better on the earlier generations better too. I use mine on low power or high power, but never in-between. I always thought manufacturers should just skip the magnification adjustment between low and high and make a switch from low to high power.... whistle

I use smaller width rings so I haven't ran into that problem but I can see where others could.

The 3i's definitely aren't as svelte...
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18

WTF??

Interesting. Maybe a bean counter found out they were losing money?
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by 4th_point

WTF??

Interesting. Maybe a bean counter found out they were losing money?

The bean counter must be lining his own pockets at current prices
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
The old prices for reticle and turret changes seemed more than fair considering skilled labor costs in Beavertown. I'm surprised that it went as long as it did. Can't imagine them making any money with the old price structure.

Sorry to hear about the situation for all the Leupo fans.
Posted By: bersh Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
The old prices for reticle and turret changes seemed more than fair considering skilled labor costs in Beavertown. I'm surprised that it went as long as it did. Can't imagine them making any money with the old price structure.

I have a feeling that the previous model wasn't about making money, but providing service to their customers. I'm not sure how much work and cost is actually involved in receiving and processing a scope, disassembling, installing new reticle, purging & whatever other steps are needed to reassemble, function testing, repackaging, and shipping back on their dime is, but I have a feeling it's more than $70 and has been for quite some time.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
I have no problem with Leupold raising prices, but that is quite the increase
Posted By: hangunnr Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
I’ll still use them for changes in my high end scopes. It makes little sense to put $200 into a reticle change in a $250 dollar scope but the same amount for a change in a $1000 dollar scope to make it exactly how I want it is much easier to accept. The $60-$75 they used to charge was a steal, I don’t blame them one bit for raising the prices.
Posted By: battue Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by bersh

I have a feeling that the previous model wasn't about making money, but providing service to their customers. I'm not sure how much work and cost is actually involved in receiving and processing a scope, disassembling, installing new reticle, purging & whatever other steps are needed to reassemble, function testing, repackaging, and shipping back on their dime is, but I have a feeling it's more than $70 and has been for quite some time.

With all the Leupold beetching that goes on here, perhaps they said raise the price to what it costs, we get bad PR no matter what we do.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
As usual, the market will decide if it's too high or not. Leupy techs will be sitting around twiddling their thumbs, or be stacked up with work. We'll see.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
Glad I had Leupold install their German # 4 in my spank new
FX-3 6x42 matte 1 1/2 year ago for $65.00 plus tax!
I would not pay $200 to do it now.
Just buy a Meopta 6x42 with their German # 4
Posted By: nuguy Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
Maybe it’s cheaper if you order the scope from custom shop with prefered reticle I don’t know but to up the price for a reticle change to 3x the cost is ridiculous. I believe Swarovski charges $200 for a reticle change but they are all expensive scopes. Makes no sense to charge $200 for a reticle change in a $200 scope.
I knew years ago when Leupold went from vx3 to 3i and prices seemed lower on brand new scope something was wrong. Oh well we’ll see how it turns out. You would think as large as Leupold is one of its reps would comment on some of the forums somewhere and address all the complaints.
Posted By: battue Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by nuguy
Maybe it’s cheaper if you order the scope from custom shop with prefered reticle I don’t know but to up the price for a reticle change to 3x the cost is ridiculous. I believe Swarovski charges $200 for a reticle change but they are all expensive scopes. Makes no sense to charge $200 for a reticle change in a $200 scope.
I knew years ago when Leupold went from vx3 to 3i and prices seemed lower on brand new scope something was wrong. Oh well we’ll see how it turns out. You would think as large as Leupold is one of its reps would comment on some of the forums somewhere and address all the complaints.

Ya right. He could address the complaints, but if you didn't agree with the message, you would run him off right after the tar and feathers.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/23/18
Originally Posted by JGRaider
As usual, the market will decide if it's too high or not. Leupy techs will be sitting around twiddling their thumbs, or be stacked up with work. We'll see.

JGR,

Custom Shop and repair people were one and the same, at least that was my understanding. They were plenty busy with both, but that was a few years ago. Things may have changed since I've been there, and maybe I didn't have the full scoop.

Jason
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/23/18
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn, are they trying to run all of us off?

Yep, then they'll wonder why people left them.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/23/18
I've been following this constant stream of complaints about Leupolds for years. What it always comes down to is the ones with complaints have a general lack of knowledge about scopes in general and Leupolds in particular.

Not even close.

Leupold has big problems as of late.

I’ve got older ones that work great. I’ve got newer ones too. Some work, some don’t.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/23/18
I got this email from the custom shop today

Cost for the change to a post and duplex in your scope would run 200.00 plus any applicable taxes.

If you choose to have the work done, box the scope up including a note stating the work to be done along with your contact/shipping information. Once received we will call you to confirm the work and to collect payment via debit/credit. You will find our return address in my signature line below. Turn time currently is approximately 5-6 weeks.
Posted By: Scooter700 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/24/18
I asked them about the price increase and here is their response! "We have changed our retrofit pricing through the Custom Shop as of the first of the year. We hadn't really adjusted prices for about 8-9 years, so it was a bit past due. Some reticle change costs have increased more than others. If you'd like a quote on any particular scope and reticle install, contact our Custom Shop at 1-888-629-4811 8-4 PST, M-F, or by email at [email protected]."
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/24/18
If you really care this change, you should send an email to the CEO, Bruce Pettet, and express your concern. This is the sort of little thing that drives long time customers away and heralds the beginning of the end.

[email protected]
Posted By: TWR Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/24/18
I called a few months ago and inquired about having a German #1 installed in my VX6, custom shop guy says sure we can do that, $60 send it in.

I did and a few weeks later I got a call that said they could not do it but here's a list of what we can do. She proceeded to list the various reticles for $60 which included 2 or 3 if I remember correctly. The rest of what they could do in the VX6 were considerably higher. I told her to just send the scope back as is, she paused and said her supervisor said they could do the SPR or one other for $60 since that is what I was quoted. I chose the SPR and all worked out but someone needs to get everyone on the same page out there.
Posted By: Scooter700 Re: Leupold reticle change? - 01/24/18
"This is the sort of little thing that drives long time customers away and heralds the beginning of the end."
260Remguy, you nailed it!
© 24hourcampfire