Home
Hi friends.
I would like to get a rangefinder which has these minimum properties:
- Waterproof or water-resistant in heavy rain
- Can reliably range a deer at 600-700 yards (in most field conditions)
- Good company behind the device with great customer service
- Clear optics with an adjustable eyepiece
- Preferably has illuminated display of yardage, but not a show-stopper if-not
- No limitations on cost

What are you using, if anything, that would fit these requirements and is your recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

Old Crab
Zero issues with my Sig
I have had a Leica for about nine years. It’s the 900 model. It has been flawless.
Think they make a 1000 or 1200 model instead of the 900 these days.
Leica went down for me in less than 2 years.. Vortex has been great for the last 5.. Just the luck of the draw I guess.
I really like my Zeiss PRF 8x26. Illuminated, fast to range, seems consistent and accurate and no problems. I just changed my first battery after 4 years.
Pick up a Leica 2700 from Doug at Cameraland, and you won't have to worry about CS issues. I'm betting that unit will range deer at 700 yards in terrible conditions...
Thanks to all for the great recommendations.... much appreciated!

Old Crab
Sig Sauer 2000. Great value and great ranging.
For those looking we still have the following Sig Rangefinders available from the store's inventory that we recently purchased:
Sig Laser Rangefinders

SOK85401 (SIG SAUER optics KILO0850 Laser Rangefinder) $149.99

SOK12601 (SIG SAUER optics KILO1250 Laser Rangefinder) $229.99

SOK12602 (SIG SAUER optics KILO1250 Laser Rangefinder) $249.99

Please give a call to place an order, 516-217-1000
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Pick up a Leica 2700 from Doug at Cameraland, and you won't have to worry about CS issues. I'm betting that unit will range deer at 700 yards in terrible conditions...

In a what's the highest quality both optically as well as electronically I'd say the Leica 2700-B would be the finest
I've owned 5 range finders to date and used many others. What I've learned is the Leica are best for ranging to a small spot. The Sig and Bushnell have a larger target spot. The small spot allows you to range to a point that is visible through a much smaller opening. I stopped using my Leica 1200 after purchasing the Sig Kilo 2000 which is much smaller.

For varmint shooting I have found nothing better than Leica's Geovids with their integral range finder, although I find them too heavy for big game hunting and the glass in mine are not as good as my Lecia 8x32 binos.

Leica service has been abysmal; they refuse to provide reasonable service for my "gray market" binos. Binoculars I purchased in Germany that Leica USA refuse to honor. Others have had better success with their USA purchased products.

I've learned animals are not very reflective, dah, so if you first don't succeed pick another point close by and hit it.

If I were to purchase another at this time I would go with Doug's suggestion of the Leica 2700-B
Great info.....
Thanks, Boise.
No more Leica for me. They refused to warranty or repair at my expense a CRF 1200 rangefinder that was less than a year old. I bought a Vortex Ranger 1000 about four years ago, and while it has a lifetime warranty, I have never needed it. If I were to buy another rangefinder at this time, it would be a Sig 2400 or a Vortex 1600. But not a Leica.
The first rangefinder I had was a Bushnell....it went tits up about a month after the warranty expired.....and I wasn't at all bothered that they wouldn't fix it under warranty.....but their estimate to repair was actually greater than the cost of buying a new one......well.....I said good bye to Bushnell.....I now own a Leica and have used it trouble free for several years.....I bought it used from a man that posts here on the fire and he has since purchased a binocular with range finding built in.....also Leica....
Just did get the Vortex Ranger 1300. Haven't had much chance to play with it yet but I did range grass in a field at 694 yards, in the rain. Ranged a cow at 527 yards. I have read about Vortex being slow to give a yardage but haven't really saw that yet. Did read about Sig having a few issues a year or so ago. That and the Vortex warranty got me to spend my money on the Vortex.

Should work for me.
YMMV.
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
No more Leica for me. They refused to warranty or repair at my expense a CRF 1200 rangefinder that was less than a year old. I bought a Vortex Ranger 1000 about four years ago, and while it has a lifetime warranty, I have never needed it. If I were to buy another rangefinder at this time, it would be a Sig 2400 or a Vortex 1600. But not a Leica.

It’s really concerning that Leica did that. Wow!
In the past couple of years Leica has really reinvented their entire customer support team and way of doing things. They are not the Leica CS of 5 years ago. I think you'd have no issues with Leica service moving forward
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
In the past couple of years Leica has really reinvented their entire customer support team and way of doing things. They are not the Leica CS of 5 years ago. I think you'd have no issues with Leica service moving forward

Good to know.
My next ranger finder will likely be a Leica. I currently have one of their older 1200 models, which works for my present purposes. I have been extremely pleased with the Ultravid HD 7x42's that I have had for several years, and am happy with the ERi and Magnus scopes that I purchased fairly recently. I would certainly give their newest rangefinders a try.
Tagging this for future reference. Right now I use a handheld gps and measure distances with that.
SIG Kilo 2200 MR. up to 1300 yards on deer, 1600 on trees and a reflective target up to 2 miles. OLED display, auto brightness. It’s hard to beat.
Leica may have changed their CS. I certainly hope so. Be that as it may, that doesn't help me with the nine hundred bucks they stiffed me out of in 2007. I know that was a while back, but I have a tendency to remember things like that.
A Leica pin master would cover you and can be picked up reasonably. Barry
I really like the Leica 900 that Doug hooked me up with several years ago when they were a close out. Can’t speak to Leica customer service, as I haven’t needed it. I can routinely range past 700 yards, it is simple and quick with a narrow beam. I haven’t even had to change the battery, but suspect I will soon just for insurance.

I have used some ranging binoculars, and so far, have found them heavier than I want around my neck. When they lighten a bit more I’ll consider them, but for now color me happy with the 900s. And btw, all the fancy extra ballistic stuff in some of these things is just gack. I want a fast and reliable reading, period. Anything else gets in the way.
Originally Posted by dave284
Just did get the Vortex Ranger 1300. Haven't had much chance to play with it yet but I did range grass in a field at 694 yards, in the rain. Ranged a cow at 527 yards. I have read about Vortex being slow to give a yardage but haven't really saw that yet. Did read about Sig having a few issues a year or so ago. That and the Vortex warranty got me to spend my money on the Vortex.

Should work for me.
YMMV.

I have a ranger 1000 and have ranged elk to about 650 but not reliably in all conditions. I would guess the 1500 does a better job past 500 yards. I've no issues with the time it takes to pull a range.
© 24hourcampfire