Home
Posted By: Timbermaster Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
Which of the wacky cz rings do you guys like for your cz 527’s? Just picked up a 22 Hornet and am planning on mounting a Leupold 6-18x40 with AO. I am considering the Warne Permanent Attach rings but wanted to check with the experts here and see what you are liking.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
Unless the bolt handle is different or altered your choices on scopes are limited. Link below shows new style bolt handle. Cant find one for a LH 527.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/productdetail/40110_bolt-handle-527-new-style
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
My Grendel came with Warne rings in the box.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
They must have changed the bolt handle on the new 527,s. Old model bolt handle you had to use hi rings.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=45242.0
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
Still need high rings possibly. The new handle helps considerably. But if your scope has a larger eye piece the bolt knob might still hit even if the shank of the handle will clear. I mounted a zeiss 2x7 terra on my 223 527. Med rings came with the gun but at .55 they are higher than most high rings. Knob of the bolt rides just below the widest point of the eye piece. Clearance is barely seeing light between the scope and knob.Lower rings would have the knob hitting the scope. As it is right now I can only cup the bolt knob with the very edge of my hand and work it with out hitting the scope with my hand.

That said this particular scope is rather beefy through the eyepiece. But it was super cheap and needed a home. Next time I get a deal on a scope with a smaller eye piece such as leupold I might replace it. Thinking even then Warne med at .535 would be the lowest option.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
Talley low rings for CZ's are lower than CZ made rings. They are plenty strong if you install them according to instructions.
Had a set of CZ 1" rings come with one of my rifles. Bought the Warne 30 mm and 1" QR rings. Very happy with them.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
DIP rail and the rings of your choice
Posted By: BWalker Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
I use Leupold rings. They are the lowest outside of Calhoons, which I dont believe are made anymore.
Posted By: z1r Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My Grendel came with Warne rings in the box.

Mine as well and they have been just fine with the Bushnell 4500 3-9x40 I mounted. My Hornet Lux came with CZ rings and they work fine. I'll probably change out the bolt handle on the Hornet and my 223 someday soon but don't actually have any clearance issues now.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
I found the lowest possible ring set up was to use a piccatinny base and low Weaver rings. Had to get the new bolt handle to clear the scope. Original won't with scope set that low. I get good cheek weld, like this set up better than any other and I tried several combos. This vintage Leupold 3-9 works well.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here's a link to the DIP base. Nicely built unit with all 5 star review. I'd write a 5 star review.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1133585

DF
Thanks for all the info gentlemen.
Posted By: RGK Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
Calhoon makes a very nice set of steel machined rings that mount very low. You'll need a lower bolt handle (an easy fix), but these are great rings.
Bob
Posted By: BWalker Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
Originally Posted by RGK
Calhoon makes a very nice set of steel machined rings that mount very low. You'll need a lower bolt handle (an easy fix), but these are great rings.
Bob

I dont believe he is making anymore. Its also worth noting the newer 527's come from the factory with the high clearance bolt knob.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
I seem to remember a company that would modify the 527 bolt handle allowing the use of lower rings. Does anyone remember or know who this outfit is and have a link to their website?
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/21/18
Calhoons is the website you are looking for . Makers of 19 caliber goodies .

I have warne QD medium rings on my hornet ... with a leupold 2-7 . I've got the redesigned bolt and tons of clearance
Thanks mucho! Can you give me a little help, other than calhoons? A search hasn't helped much.
Never mind. I think I found it.
Calhoon is a great source for 527 info. Not too much about that gun he doesn’t know. Good guy to talk to.

DIP rail with low .9” Low Weavers, the lowest I could come up with.

My gun is an older one, I had to get new low bolt handle. Swap out is easy.

DF
Forgot to note, CZ handle is cheaper than Calhoon alteration, IIRC.

DF
Here is my rifle. Would anyone be able to tell me if this is an upgraded bolt handle? I have no info on it as it was a pawn shop score. Rifle was manufactured in 2007.

[Linked Image]
At Mackey Sagebrush's suggestion I used Tikka factory rings on my two year old LH 527. Gives about 3/32" clearance with the 6x36 Leupold I'm using now, picture is with the K12 I used for load work up; wouldn't work with one of the big Euro oculars. I don't think they have changed the bolt handle on the lefties as they have on the RH models.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/22/18
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Here is my rifle. Would anyone be able to tell me if this is an upgraded bolt handle? I have no info on it as it was a pawn shop score. Rifle was manufactured in 2007.

[Linked Image]

From what I can see, probably the older version.

If you could measure from the bolt body to where the bolt handle clears the ocular, maybe someone here could answer that question.

DF
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/22/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Calhoon is a great source for 527 info. Not too much about that gun he doesn’t know. Good guy to talk to.

DIP rail with low .9” Low Weavers, the lowest I could come up with.

My gun is an older one, I had to get new low bolt handle. Swap out is easy.

DF

mine is a lefty. will that be a problem for him?
Check with CZ on the left handed version.

Calhoon can alter it, but cost is gonna be more than the CZ unit, IIRC.

DF
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/22/18
Thank you.
Posted By: RGK Re: Which rings for cz 527 - 02/22/18

DF

Give them a call; they're pretty nice people. Lots of 527 info even if you don't buy from them. If you need a pair, I have an extra set of them here.
Bob
Originally Posted by RGK

DF

Give them a call; they're pretty nice people. Lots of 527 info even if you don't buy from them. If you need a pair, I have an extra set of them here.
Bob

Be sure you have some time when you call. James will talk your leg off... grin

He's passionate about his work. I enjoy visiting with someone who really knows his stuff.

DF
© 24hourcampfire