Home
Posted By: Below_par The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/22/18
So,

Who's had the most experience with these and what are your thoughts? Thinking seriously about one in a 3-15x44 illuminated firedot. Mainly interested in low light performance and tracking.

How's it go at dusk compared to say a Zeiss Conquest or Swarovski Z5?
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/22/18
Have 2, a 1-5 and a 2-10. Both CDS Firedot. No issues at all yet, owned them about a year now. I do not twist turrents much. Also have 2 Zeiss Conquest scopes to compare since you specifically mentioned them. The VX-5 scopes are the clearest and brightest scopes I own. I have compared them at dusk and dawn to the better scopes I own and no that list does not include super high end Swarovski, Scmidt & Bender, Nightforce or Zeiss Diavari. But it does include Bushnell 4200's, Nikon Monarch's, Leupold VX-3's and the already mentioned Zeiss Conquest's.

Have owned Leupold scopes for over 40 years. The only problems I have had in that time was an ocular lens on a Vari X 3 came loose and a power ring on a LPS that became very hard to twist. Both issues were taken care of promptly and to my satisfaction by the Leupold lifetime warranty. Neither caused an issue during a hunt.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/22/18
Mine's an amzing scope to look through. Given time, it may turn out to be a good one as well.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Mine's an amzing scope to look through. Given time, it may turn out to be a good one as well.

Have you dropped it on a concrete floor from a 10 foot step ladder or driven over it with your truck?
Posted By: Motown Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/22/18
If you dont need the ZL or Illuminated Reticle this is a pretty good deal on the 2-10. Im thinking about ordering to try them out.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202235710438
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/22/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have you dropped it on a concrete floor from a 10 foot step ladder or driven over it with your truck?

No, and since that would require me to climb up on my roof in the first case and push my poor old truck over it in the second, I'll just have to content myself with shooting a bunch of .308s from the rifle it's on.

Sorry to let you down.

No, and since that would require me to climb up on my roof in the first case and push my poor old truck over it in the second, I'll just have to content myself with shooting a bunch of .308s from the rifle it's on.

Sorry to let you down.

Doesn't sound like you have tested it to 24hour standards grin

Thinking one would look good on my T3x 30-06 VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2
Posted By: C_ROY Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/22/18
Would this model be an improvement over the VX-6? I bought a copule of the VX-6 2-12x42mm Matte Duplex CDS scopes when Cabelas had a deal on them about a year ago.
Posted By: Below_par Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/22/18
Sounds good. I had a S&B zenith on the rifle previously which was exceptional, but was just way too heavy. Willing to compromise a bit on glass quality, but want to hear some opinions before i make the purchase.
Posted By: Motown Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/22/18
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Would this model be an improvement over the VX-6? I bought a copule of the VX-6 2-12x42mm Matte Duplex CDS scopes when Cabelas had a deal on them about a year ago.

From what I have heard the VX5 is the same as the VX6. They have the same glass and internals. I believe the only difference is the VX5 has less bells and whistles.
Posted By: nuguy Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/23/18
I think the VX-6 had a little closer spaced PLEX opening if I remember right.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/23/18
I bought one a few months ago with the Fire Dot Duplex for my late night moose hunts and the CDS feature. I will find out first hand how it does with dialing as soon as this Alaskan weather warms up. If it and a couple VXi CDS capable scopes I have prove to dial reliably I will get a VX5 3-15 for a unfired Legendary Arms Works .300 Win. Mag. I have. I will also go with the Wind Plex reticle and wish I had on the 2-10 I put on my .338 Winny.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/25/18
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I bought one a few months ago with the Fire Dot Duplex for my late night moose hunts and the CDS feature. I will find out first hand how it does with dialing as soon as this Alaskan weather warms up. If it and a couple VXi CDS capable scopes I have prove to dial reliably I will get a VX5 3-15 for a unfired Legendary Arms Works .300 Win. Mag. I have. I will also go with the Wind Plex reticle and wish I had on the 2-10 I put on my .338 Winny.

Wish you luck with your Legendary Arms Rifle, I have one in .308 Win. shoots great. I put a NF NXS 2.5-10X42 MOAR with Digillume Ret. On it.
So far everything is working great.

Take care
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/26/18
I liked the features of the 3-15x44 illuminated firedot duplex enough to get three of them.
I do wish the duplex was the one they had on the website and the box they came in. It is wide and thin. I'm hoping that the illumination will make up for this shortcoming in bad light.
But I can't find any scope that has everything I want, and this is as close as I can get for now.
So far so good with tracking, but time and weather has kept me from really testing them out.
I did get a 3-15 SWFA SS to do the discount double check on them.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/26/18
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I liked the features of the 3-15x44 illuminated firedot duplex enough to get three of them.
I do wish the duplex was the one they had on the website and the box they came in. It is wide and thin. I'm hoping that the illumination will make up for this shortcoming in bad light.
But I can't find any scope that has everything I want, and this is as close as I can get for now.
So far so good with tracking, but time and weather has kept me from really testing them out.
I did get a 3-15 SWFA SS to do the discount double check on them.

How did you test the tracking?
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 02/26/18
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

How did you test the tracking?

Sighting them in and seeing if they hit the target at the ranges I feel comfortable shooting in the field. With the time I had that was out to 600 yards. Sorry, no box or tall tests yet.
Then I went hunting.
Since then just limited load development, weather permitting. And it hasn't been permitting much lately.
Posted By: azjim Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/10/18
I really like the features, weight and price on the VX5 HD. Has anyone had the chance to really test the tracking on theirs? thanks Jim
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/10/18
If my CDS Leupolds work out for dialing/tracking I will get a 3-15 with the Impact 29 reticle for my 5.56 Creed AR.

I asked Leupold about some other reticle options for my VX5 2-10 and they have nothing "custom" to offer. Speaking of the Custom Shop, I am beginning to think they may never get that web page up and running. It used to be easy to navigate, not any more.

What I want for Alaska is a medium thick illuminated German #4 with mildot reticle hash marks out to 800 yards and CDS capability. Other wise I want to point and shoot and use the scopes reticle for hold over.

I would be ok with the Illuminated T-MOA they offer on their VX6 2-12 scope. Even their Illuminated B&C reticle is better then any thing in the 2-10 VX5 line. But they choose not to offer it for the VX5 line.

Of course if the CDS scopes I have dial correctly for elevation who needs hash marks and complicated reticles, right?
Posted By: peeshooter Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/10/18
Test them no, use them yes. I have a 2-10 and a 3-15. Last season I used the 3-15 and dialed to shoot a cow elk at 677 yards and back to zero perfect at the range. A week later shot a Mule Deer running uphill at 417 using holdover. Back at the range still perfect zero. Pics in long range hunting forum.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/11/18

🤣😂🤣 “Bulletproof” to Oldelk means literally shooting a round at Your Leupold to see if it bounces off...Failed! 😎
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/11/18
Damn scopes, all of them a pain in the butt. All they do is inflate ones ego and make them think it is ok to shoot past 200 yards at a beautiful creature, made by God for our use and responsible stewardship.

They make a rifle heavy, upset the balance and fail at the worst possible times. What good are they for putting meat on the table? Do they make us better hunters, trackers, woodsmen, outdoorsmen?

Lets puke them out of our lives. Lets become men again, providers and good hunters. guys whose sole aim is filing the freezer with meat. Lets all get a good aperture sight with a front sight that has a flat post.

Lets get real and not shoot past 200 yards. Lets forget about the 1,000 yard club, the mile club, the 2 mile club. Lets be hunters and rifle men! Lets be part of the 200 yard Club!

Sounds like a noble cause to me!
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/11/18
Damn scopes, all of them a pain in the butt. All they do is inflate ones ego and make them think it is ok to shoot past 200 yards at a beautiful creature, made by God for our use and responsible stewardship.

They make a rifle heavy, upset the balance and fail at the worst possible times. What good are they for putting meat on the table? Do they make us better hunters, trackers, woodsmen, outdoorsmen?

Lets puke them out of our lives. Lets become men again, providers and good hunters. guys whose sole aim is filing the freezer with meat. Lets all get a good aperture sight with a front sight that has a flat post.

Lets get real and not shoot past 200 yards. Lets forget about the 1,000 yard club, the mile club, the 2 mile club. Lets be hunters and rifle men! Lets be part of the 200 yard Club!

That’s called Bow season!
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/11/18
Ha ha Cub,

I am not sure at my age I am man enough for bow season. I so wish I had listened to my wife long ago and been a stealthy bow guy. Especially since almost every year a legal bull passes through my yard during hunting season!

I have much respect for bow hunters, when they don't require a "special season" for their choice of weapons............
Posted By: WRO Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/11/18

Self righteous much?
Posted By: borden811 Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/12/18
Originally Posted by WRO

Self righteous much?

Unable to detect sarcasm much?
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🤣😂🤣 “Bulletproof” to Oldelk means literally shooting a round at Your Leupold to see if it bounces off...Failed! 😎

Don't all the turrett twisters here do the same?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: The verdict on VX-5HD's - 04/14/18
Yep, they sure do...That’s why Loops, with turrets, can’t find much love here...I don’t spin, so my Leupold scopes work well for me. Thanks for playing Oldelk...😎
© 24hourcampfire