Home
I’m relatively new to western hunting and am looking to increase my effective range. Thus far I have been limiting myself to 300 yard maximum shots. I have stalked closer on a couple occasions when I haven’t been sure of the range. It seems a rangefinder would be useful for confirming distance and extending my range when getting closer isn’t possible. I have never owned a rangefinder.....

Can aanyone recommend a good, basic rangefinder that could range deer at 500-600 yards? I don’t want to buy junk, but definitely don’t need some milspec unit that costs 2k. Are there any high quality, but older used units I should keep an eye open for? I’m hoping that because I don’t need to range 1000 yards that I can get a higher quality shorter range model. Recommendations? I do understand that the ratings are for large reflective targets.

Unfortunately I need to uprgade some other equipment as well (sleeping pad, bag, clothing) so I’m trying to keep price somewhat reasonable.
Cheers!

KT
We have a deal on a Zeiss PRF 8x26 for only $399.99. IMO, for that price, it is a great buy on a great unit.
the deal Doug has above is a good one, and I would keep an eye out for used leicas in the classifieds.........I picked up a like new 1600B for a song here last year.........
Cry once, used Leica will get you there.
What used Leica models would suffice for my needs, ranging deer at 500 yards? What price range would I be looking at for said used Leica?
If your are really looking to save $$ the Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC has served me very well for Coues hunting in AZ. Think it is at least 6 years old now and it covers the ranges you talked about.

Not saying I wouldn't like to upgrade, but I can't complain at all about it's function.
The new Nikon image stabilized 3000 has my interest.

John
Hard to beat the Sig Kilo thats out now. They really raised the bar in LRF performance.
Doug @ Cameraland was a big help for me, fortunately my Leica was an easy fix.

Bear in mind all the RF I looked at had only a 2 year warranty.
We just got in one of each, demos in awesome condition:

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2700-B #40545 for $699.99

Leica CRF Rangemaster 1600 #40537 for $449.99

Only 1 of each, so if you're interested please give us call, 516-217-1000
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I guess I may need to hold off longer so that I don’t end up buying junk. I have been prioritizing other stuff (pack, boots, sleep gear etc) that would keep me from getting out and hunting at all. I’ve gotten by without a rangefinder for years so I guess I can last a bit longer if needed. Thanks again for the recommendations.
Vortex Ranger 1000 does just fine.
leica, ziess or swaro, buy used if you have to. save your money on the various junk bushnell's leupolds, nikons and vortex units. also when and if you upgrade the top 3 brands will keep their value much better.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
leica, ziess or swaro, buy used if you have to. save your money on the various junk bushnell's leupolds, nikons and vortex units. also when and if you upgrade the top 3 brands will keep their value much better.

The Swaro Laser Guide has to be bought used.........Want to ask why? Let me guess, you spoke to a Swaro rep and he said they are still being made.

OP, whatever you get, make sure the company has outstanding customer service. Most if not all electronic stuff only has a limited warranty (2 years). I am convinced that my long out of warranty Swaro Laser Guide would get fixed by Swaro for little to no cost because of their customer service.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

The Swaro Laser Guide has to be bought used.........Want to ask why? Let me guess, you spoke to a Swaro rep and he said they are still being made.

OP, whatever you get, make sure the company has outstanding customer service. Most if not all electronic stuff only has a limited warranty (2 years). I am convinced that my long out of warranty Swaro Laser Guide would get fixed by Swaro for little to no cost because of their customer service.

I'd bet on you being right about Swaro.

I'd also state that my Leupy 1200i has been much better than the two POS Leica 1200's I had. Neither one would range in low light, or past 500'ish in good light.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Vortex Ranger 1000 does just fine.

I used a friends vortex last week and it worked well. I don't know if other mfgr.s have a an honest lifetime guarantee on the entire unit.

mike r
Another vote for the Vortex Ranger. If warranty is important to you, go with Vortex. They are the only company that has a lifetime warranty on their rangefinder. Again, if warranty matters, avoid Leica like the plague. There are a lot of horror stories about Leica warranty, and I am one of them. I have a Vortex Ranger, and just disposed of my Leica CRF 1200.
I ran the Vortex and Sig side by side in rain, fog, sun, early, late, blah, blah....only different was vortex stopped at 1000 yards. And trying to get the Sig to read "way out there" rarely worked. I'm talking highway signs and buildings from the top of another building.

Round bails at 1,000 did fine with both.
....and don't worry, Stick will be along soon to me I'm wrong.
Vortex has the best warranty so lowest used risk, the Sigs are very good and so are the Leupold models. Don’t go hunting in open country this year without a range finder, I’ve gotten great service from a Bushnell a Nikon, and now a Leica. You can buy a new Leupold on sale for less than $200 that will do everything you need.

When you get to your morning spot set your 300 yard circle and if you are sighted in at 200 yards with a modern caliber every shot inside that is point & shoot. That is a huge time saver and can be the difference between success and failure.

Your rangefinder is not nearly as critical as your rifle scope - it’s OK to save money on that purchase - the difference in yardage reads between a bargain Vortex or Leupold or Sig and the most expensive models is seldom more tha 2 yards.
Forgot to say my rangefinder upgrades were to take advantage of better technology and that I sold my perfectly functional older units.
One more - forgetful this AM. I consider myself to be an excellent rifle shot. The only shots that I had missed were in the same canyon. It was 150 yards shorter shot than I had estimated. Even a cheaper rangefinder is better than 99% of hunters guesses past 250 yards.
I have a Leica 1200 and an older Nikon Monarch 850. Neither has ever failed and work just fine. I’ve had numerous hunting buddies bitch about Leupold and Bushnell on about equal regularity with those who praise them. I would buy the best rated brand you can afford.
Originally Posted by specneeds
One more - forgetful this AM. I consider myself to be an excellent rifle shot. The only shots that I had missed were in the same canyon. It was 150 yards shorter shot than I had estimated. Even a cheaper rangefinder is better than 99% of hunters guesses past 250 yards.

At least you're humble about it. smile
I’ve been using a Leupold 1000 TBR DNA, (not sure model exactly), Since 2013 and it has worked great for me. No problem ranging Stone sheep and goats out to 700 yds. In Wyoming I was able to range an antelope buck at close to 700 yds moving through the sage brush. It still works fine and affordable.
I understand waiting to buy top three quality, but if your gonna do that get a used "junk brand" with arc to use in the meantime. Missing sucks. Coues are little guys and hard enough to hit without guessing if that is 350 or 450yds. And there are plenty of range finders that can tell you that for not too much $$.

If you'd ask this question a year ago I think there'd a been a chorus of SigKilo2000 responses. Has the shine completely worn off those?

Kent
Only difference I could see was the warranty.
I live in Southern Idaho where open county is common. I use a Nikon Aculon - $139 from Cabelas. It ranges off animals to about 300 yards, trees and rock to about 450. If the Aculon won't range it, I need to get closer.
Last year we brought in the Velocity Rangefinders to have a decent entry level rangefinder. They offer 2 models,

A 660 yard @ $99.99 and the 1100 yard version for $129.99. These are good units, made in China, that get the job done.
A bunch of members here purchased them and seem to have been pleased with the purchase. For an entry level unit it's a great deal
Thoughts and opinions....
Which would be a better purchase, sig kilo 1250 or vortex ranger 1300? How does the velocity 1100 that doug mentions above compare? Is there something better in the less than $300 range? For those who didn’t read my first post, I’m looking for a rangefinder that can reliably range deer at 600ish yards.

I have been watching the classifieds but haven’t seen many used come up.
Thanks! KT
If you like we still have a new Sig Kilo 1250 from that store we bought the inventory from for only $169.99. If you're interested give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks Doug. Is the kilo 1250 decent for what I’m looking for? Better options in the under $300 range? Do you know if the 1250 will reliably range deer at 600 yards?
I think 600 yards is not going to be an issue. I think this unit will be dependable for you
Sorry for the appalling lack of modesty but If I said that my groups looked like a shotgun pattern and buck fever was my middle name - how could I blame poor range estimation for shooting over the top of 2 nice bucks.

I’m lucky enough to have a 225 yard range and a 490 yard rock in my backyard. Both grandfathers spoiled me with time and ammunition starting before I turned 5. Dad made me shoot a B.B. gun about ten thousand times to get any 22 ammo and living way out in the sticks certainly helped. After shooting that much over 50 years it would be pathetic if I wasn’t reasonably competent.

That awful range estimation after 250 yards is very common and Doug’s under $200 Sig will be a great tool for the OP. All the target turrets, range calibrated reticles and Ballistic calculators that make long range easier don’t really matter if you guess wrong on the actual distance.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
If you like we still have a new Sig Kilo 1250 from that store we bought the inventory from for only $169.99. If you're interested give us a call, 516-217-1000

That sounds like a hell of a deal. If I did not already have the Leupold Rx 1200i TBR DNA, I would be hoping you passed on this deal so I could have a shot at it.

Just a couple of thoughts. Most laser range finders are rated on reflective targets. One will be very disappointed if he expects a 1200 yd range finder to read on a deer at 1200 yds. It will read on a car, or a possibly a light colored rock at that range, but not a hairy critter.

My Leupold 1200 seems to be reliable on cows, horses, trees, and rocks out to 700 to 800 yds. Now I am jonesing for the Leupold 1600, but it ain't happening. The Leupold Rx 1200 i TBR or 1600 TBR calculates and corrects for uphill and downhill shots. Thus TBR for true ballistic range. It also features stored trajectories for many different cartridges and will give a readout of holdover in inches, or correction in mils or moa.
A Leupold RX 1200 TBR DNA Has done everything I have asked it to do out to 800 yards.

Then a little sign said - "get closer."
© 24hourcampfire