Home
I have a pair of Swarovski binoculars (8x30 EL. For past several years I have used Crooked horn shoulder straps and bingo shield. Elastic is getting a little sloppy so I was thinking about replacing it. Wondering if there is anything better out there now? Whist is your favorite setup?
for a lightweight pair of binocs I would go with the rick young outdoors rig. Heck if you wear a coat or thicker shirt they are probably the way to go even at that. I run that harness on my light binocs. for my EL range binoculars, I just bought a sitka harness. Its got have strap and half stretchy material. the buckles are on the strap material, I am hoping that don't move once adjusted. when I had the crooked horn I used electrical tape to lock the length adjusters in place. I didn't get a rick young harness for these because I often wear them on archery hunts where its hot and I am in a base layer. The thin shock cord of the rick young harness I think might dig into me.
I like my FHF Gear harness. I tried the AGC KISS, but thought it was way too bulky.
Yeah, check out the Rick Young harness. I just got the basic lightweight harness with the dual accessory clip.
I’m using it on 8x30 Leicas.
My son used these bow hunting last year. Real handy and a rangefinder can be attached to the clip. Check out the you tube videos.
I'm another Rick Young harness user. They don't look fancy but sure are easy to slip on and once on, work great. I have them on both Steiner binos. And one of them is the old Steiner Hunter series. 7+50. Heavy binos. No complaints.
AGC for me.
AGC
FHF
Marsupial Gear
Badlands XL Pouch. 😎
Tagged.
I've only got the FHF, and have no complaints. The other brands were too bulky and awkward feeling, or were nothing more than a cover. The FHF fits all my needs and the small pocket is great for keeping a spare dope chart handy.

The Crooked Horn and other brands of elastic straps worked OK, but in any wind the elastic straps would vibrate like violin strings, making glassing pretty much impossible.
OP,

I think I use the same ones you do. No complaints. They are cheap and work well.
Another vote for the Rick Young harness.
Another vote for the Rick Young harness.
You must be a democrat......
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You must be a democrat......

Lol, why would you say that?
he voted twice for the same candidate, duh.....
Kuiu Binocular Harness for me I have the Marsupial and Rick Young which are all good but the Kuiu is best

https://www.kuiu.com/gear/bino-harness/bino-harness/80010.html
I run 3 different binos.....8x30, 10x42, and 15x56. I've swapped over to the Rick Young harness, on all of them. No worries about the round cords digging in, even with the 15x56's. I add the crooked horn bino shield, on bad weather days.

A neat feature of the Rick Young harness, is you can loop the harness around the objective end of the binos, when you belly crawl or go prone for your shot. Keeps it tight against your chest. Simple, but effective.

Andy3
Originally Posted by Andy3
I run 3 different binos.....8x30, 10x42, and 15x56. I've swapped over to the Rick Young harness, on all of them. No worries about the round cords digging in, even with the 15x56's. I add the crooked horn bino shield, on bad weather days.

A neat feature of the Rick Young harness, is you can loop the harness around the objective end of the binos, when you belly crawl or go prone for your shot. Keeps it tight against your chest. Simple, but effective.

Andy3

How is the harness after wearing it all day, for multiple days in a row?
Originally Posted by bersh

Andy3

Never noticed any difference. But, it's usually pretty cold and I'm wearing several layers. Most of the time with a jacket. Haven't done multiple days in hot weather....so, over a t-shirt there may make a difference?

Andy3
Originally Posted by bersh

Andy3

Never noticed any difference. But, it's usually pretty cold and I'm wearing several layers. Most of the time with a jacket. Haven't done multiple days in hot weather....so, over a t-shirt there may make a difference?

Andy3

Nope.
AGC.
Tag
AGC for my 10-x40's, Marsupial for the 32's.
I either use FHF or the Rick Young Harness.
Another vote for the Rick Young Harness. I use it with two binos, one is my Leica Geovid 10x42, the other a lightweight Leupold Rogue 8x. I have the quick-connect thingies on both pair, so changing them back and forth is very easy and fast.
Rick Young for me.
I tried to like a couple of the popular products mentioned above but much prefer the simplicity and carry flexibility of the RYO version.
AGC. I have one with the front pocket which holds rangefinder, release when archery hunting, and piece to mount binos to my tripod, side mesh pockets which has a lighter and wind checker, and a bottom pocket for compass, archery repair kit, small med kit, fire starting materials, and havalon blades, and finally a flat pocket on the back with maps, tags and licenses, and my tyto knife. The stretch fabric on the top is great for holding diaphragm calls.

I like that it provides full protection of my binoculars but is still easy to use one handed. Last hunting trip was super dusty, my buddy with the kuiu harness had dust all over the ocular lenses of his binoculars. Mine were perfectly clean.
My vote also for the Rick Young. Love the simplicity. I don't need a pack full of crap on my chest. Binos secured with multiple wear options - Rick Young harness does it all and does it comfortably.
I noticed that RYO also makes a neoprene quick-access bino cover now, to go with their harness. I will be trying it soon.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I noticed that RYO also makes a neoprene quick-access bino cover now, to go with their harness. I will be trying it soon.

I have one and it works very well with my 8x32mm
Same. I have the neoprene cover. Does a nice job of protecting the binos from dust, debris and scratches
The Rick Young harness is great. I'm a convert.

I'm not crazy about the cover. I usually tuck my binos under my outermost layer of clothing for protection and reduce the bounce when I need to move quick.
Originally Posted by SKane
Rick Young for me.
I tried to like a couple of the popular products mentioned above but much prefer the simplicity and carry flexibility of the RYO version.

You just like the free panic whistle.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by SKane
Rick Young for me.

You just like the free panic whistle.
[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

That was indeed the deal-sealer.
I"m a RYO fan too, but I also really like the AGC system.
My buddy has always used the Badlands with the magnetic closure. Anyone else tried it and compared with the ones listed?
AGC for me too, I use a Kodiak cub and a kiss. The rain cover works awesome for me since I spend a fair bit of time hunting and scouting in SW Alaska. I like being able to keep a few extra things in the pouches in case I want to drop my pack for a stalk or something. I usually keep a lighter, rangefinder, havalon knife and a few extra rounds in it. I’ve also found that I can set it up well with my gunfighters inc kenai chest rig so they don’t interfere with each other even if I’m wearing a pack.

The Rick young thing looks cool but it’s just too rainy and brushy where I hunt, that thing would never work for me.
I have the rick young set up and it's a great product, but last year I switched to the marsupial and I've been very happy with it.
I have looked at them now and like the Badlands and Marsupial.

Badlands may have the edge as better dust proof

Oops

Oops
© 24hourcampfire