Home
Posted By: SurlyBob New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/13/18
The first gun I built in gunsmithing school (TSJC, 1992) was a .338 Win Mag for hunting elk in Colorado. The scope I put on it was what I could afford at the time being a self supported student. Went elk hunting one season (unsuccessfully) and haven't been in elk country since. Now I'm in Kentucky for good and will be putting in for the elk draw until I can't go any more. I am a proficient shooter, but will limit myself to 500 yards (and considerably less if possible) on any animal nowadays.

I need some recommendations for a new scope for my .338 WM with a max budget of $1K. I am not a scope snob, meaning I don't care where it is made, etc. I just want the best performing piece of glass I can get for the $. Any real world assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Leupold VX 111 3.5-10x40
I had one of those on a tactical rifle, but sold it to a buddy. Perhaps it's time to get another. Thanks for the quick reply.
Look at Meopta too, give Doug at Cameraland a call. He will hook you up
Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV.
Posted By: GF1 Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/13/18
Leupold M8 4x or 6x
Posted By: Ray Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/13/18
Originally Posted by SurlyBob
The first gun I built in gunsmithing school (TSJC, 1992) was a .338 Win Mag for hunting elk in Colorado. The scope I put on it was what I could afford at the time being a self supported student. Went elk hunting one season (unsuccessfully) and haven't been in elk country since. Now I'm in Kentucky for good and will be putting in for the elk draw until I can't go any more. I am a proficient shooter, but will limit myself to 500 yards (and considerably less if possible) on any animal nowadays.

I need some recommendations for a new scope for my .338 WM with a max budget of $1K. I am not a scope snob, meaning I don't care where it is made, etc. I just want the best performing piece of glass I can get for the $. Any real world assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I hunt moose in Alaska, and one of my .338WMs has had a Leupold matte Vary-X III 2.5-8x since the early 90's. This scope is a little on the short side for my LOP. However, it should be just fine for others (my arms are on the short side, too). I have never had to take a shot that required more than 4-6x. All depends on how far your self-imposed shooting distance is (300 yards for me on moose). The other .338WM rifle (new) has a Leupold VR-X 3-9 x 40 FireDot #4 reticle. The reason why I prefer the low end of the power side to be 2 to maybe 3x is because sometimes moose (or something else, for that matter) can be close, and I want a field of view as wide as possible.

For $1K you could always buy a better scope than the one I have on my rifles.
Posted By: memtb Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/13/18
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Leupold VX 111 3.5-10x40

Yes! What he said! memtb
Zeiss 3.5-10x44
Posted By: Andy3 Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/13/18
VX-3i 2.5-8x36 Leupold with the Boone and Crockett reticle, fills the bill for me. From dark timber to 500 yards and low light conditions. Plus, it's lightweight to handle the recoil of stout loads....with plenty of eye relief.

The bad news is, it looks like Leupold has dropped that combination from it's lineup. WTF?

Andy3
3 x 9 or 3.5 x 10 Meopta, Luepy, or Zeiss. A couple nice used Kahles 3 x 9s in the classifieds now.
Look at Meopta too, give Doug at Cameraland a call. He will hook you up

The Meopta MeoPro is a great choice. I'm in all day Monday so give me a call, 516-217-1000, and I for sure will hook you up.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV.

AGREED X2 I just ordered another Niteforce 3-10x42 from midway
Posted By: Brad Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/13/18
When I was a 338 WM devotee, all mine wore the simple Leupold 2-7x33. I think that scope, a 6x36 or 2.5-8x36 are ideal.

I'd get some sort of aiming marks like the LR duplex or B&C reticle. However, Leupold has stupidly ditched dots and the B&C in the 2.5-8, so you may have to search a bit.

Or just get a Burris 2-7x35 with ballisitc plex:

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/fullfield-ii-riflescopes-series/fullfield-ii-riflescope-2-7x35mm
Originally Posted by Brad
When I was a 338 WM devotee, all mine wore the simple Leupold 2-7x33. I think that scope, a 6x36 or 2.5-8x36 are ideal.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've had a half dozen 338's over the years; all wore either e Leupold 2-7 or a 2.5-8.................none broke, all worked.

But I also really like the package that is the NF SHV 3-10x42, just wish the reticle was a little heavier; I have a couple with the MOAR version.

MM
Posted By: hanco Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/13/18
Leupold VXIII. 4.5 x14 x50.
2.5-8X36 LEUPOLD
Mine is getting a zeiss HD5, 3-15X50 mostly because that's the one I have available right now. Probably more than I need at the high end but it'll work.
MontanaMan,

Nightforce has had a heavier, plex-type reticle they call the Forceplex in the 3-10x42 SHV since last year--and now offers a 4A reticle as well.
Posted By: Andy3 Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/13/18
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
MontanaMan,

Nightforce has had a heavier, plex-type reticle they call the Forceplex in the 3-10x42 SHV since last year--and now offers a 4A reticle as well.

Mule Deer, I checked the NF website and saw this....

The Nightforce™ 4A reticle adds a high degree of precision to a classic hunting design. Posts at the 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions bring the eye quickly to the target, but unlike many heavy, bulky plex-style reticles, the 4A provides an exceptionally clean, uncluttered field of view. This makes it ideal for running game, as well as on stationary targets, virtually anywhere in the world. (Not available in North America)

I guess its a German #4 reticle that is truly made for Germans (or....other than North Americans!). Maybe that will change?

Andy3
I'm guessing it will, if enough Americans say they're interested. NF seems to listen to what potential customers want.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
MontanaMan,

Thanks........guess I do remember reading about that reticle, but I haven't seen it in person.

I actually do like the MOAR configuration, I just wish the hash marks were just a wee tad heavier.

MM
I used a 1.5-5x20mm Leupold for 12 years on a .338 Winny, then I switched to the 2.5-8x36mm Leupold for around 20 or more years. Last year I mounted a 30mm VX-5HD 2-10x42mm with illuminated Fire Dot reticle on my .338.

I may go back to the 2.5-8x36mm with the Duplex and CDS feature. It is a good set and forget scope for hunting big critters.
Posted By: memtb Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 05/14/18
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I used a 1.25-5x20mm Leupold for 12 years on a .338 Winny, then I switched to the 2.5-8x36mm Leupold for around 20 or more years. Last year I mounted a 30mm VX-5HD 2-10x42mm with illuminated Fire Dot reticle on my .338.

I may go back to the 2.5-8x36mm with the Duplex and CDS feature. It is a good set and forget scope for hunting big critters.

We used the 2.5-8 Leupold for 20 plus years on our rifles ( no failures), easily good for 400 yard shots on big game. They are now used as a back-up System ( in Leupold QD System). About 5 years ago we went to the 3.5-10 Leupold with CDS. We’re getting older, and potentially shooting farther! The little bit of extra power helps for addition distance or for long shots on smaller targets ( coyote, etc.)...with minimal loss of FOV on close shots. memtb
Another vote for 2.5-8x36 leapold, and on for a 6x36 leapold with long range reticle. Both light weight with good eye relief.
Had to resurrect this thread to ask a question. I've noticed that the Leupold line has gone from the VX3 to the VX3i. Are they comparable or are there differences that matter, good or bad? I ask because I know I can buy the new stuff almost anywhere, but if the old stuff is significantly better then I will have to search the used market.

Thanks again for all of the replies.
The VX3i is improved optically and lower priced
SurlyBob,

Based on your number of posts I presume you are new here, so welcome. There are some real helpers here.

As far as scopes go I heartily recommend Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. The reticle moves the amount corresponding to the clicks every time I move it. I now have three. They are crystal clear throughout
their magnification range. They edged out Swarovski z5 5-25X52, Leupold VX-6 4-24X52, Minox ZA 5HD 5-25X56,
Vortex Razor 5-20X50, and Zeiss Conquest HD 5-25X50.
Nikon Monarch3 4-16x42mm mildot on my .338 WM.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...monarch-3-4-16x42-side-focus-mildot.html

Posted By: Dre Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 06/25/18
Tract 2-10 or 3-15. Pending on Your style of hunting.
I love having 2-10. Comfortable In thick to open country all in one
Leupold VX 111 3.5-10x40

That's what I have on my whelen and 338....
My Winchester 70 Classic 338 wears a VX3i 3x9x40. For some reason the 2.5x8's and the 3.5x10's are more expensive than the 3x9's (sales I assume) and I don't see enough difference to make up the $ difference if I were to be buying one new.
I don't have the experience that many here on the fire have for elk hunting, but I've hunted in AZ, CO, ID, and SD for elk.
Most places where I've hunted a 6x would be ideal. But now and then I've been in thick timber and a lower powered scope would be better IMO.
I don't think I've ever needed 9x while elk hunting. But I like the larger objective lenses for light gathering. The largest bull I've shot was just walking into thick timber right as legal shooting time started (30 minutes before dawn). I needed the light gathering for that one shot. If it were not for the light gathering issue a 2x7 would be fine for me. If I stayed out of the thick woods a FX2 6x Leupold would be great.
I like my Bushnell scopes and never have had an issue with them, but I don't have any on heavier kicking rifles, so I can't speak to that.
After reading what MD wrote about Burris Fullfield II scopes and how they handle recoil, I certainly would consider one of those.
I'm planning on a muzzle loader hunt in NM and am planning on using a 50 caliber Remington 700 Ultimate muzzle loader, it will wear a Leupold M8 4x or perhaps a Leupold VX 3 2.5x8 that I took off a 338 I bought a few years ago and sold recently. I'll do some practicing at dawn and dusk with those two scopes before I decide for sure. Good luck with your 338 and your elk hunting.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV.

I just purchased this scope from Midway USA for less than $900.00 I will be putting this new Nightforce scope on my 7 rem. mag for my moose hunt in Alaska,best scope for the money I feel. good luck,Pete53
Originally Posted by Cutlass1971
Another vote for 2.5-8x36 leapold, and on for a 6x36 leapold with long range reticle. Both light weight with good eye relief.

My favorite scope and it also rides on my 338..
Originally Posted by Bugger
My Winchester 70 Classic 338 wears a VX3i 3x9x40. For some reason the 2.5x8's and the 3.5x10's are more expensive than the 3x9's (sales I assume) and I don't see enough difference to make up the $ difference if I were to be buying one new.
I don't have the experience that many here on the fire have for elk hunting, but I've hunted in AZ, CO, ID, and SD for elk.
Most places where I've hunted a 6x would be ideal. But now and then I've been in thick timber and a lower powered scope would be better IMO.
I don't think I've ever needed 9x while elk hunting. But I like the larger objective lenses for light gathering. The largest bull I've shot was just walking into thick timber right as legal shooting time started (30 minutes before dawn). I needed the light gathering for that one shot. If it were not for the light gathering issue a 2x7 would be fine for me. If I stayed out of the thick woods a FX2 6x Leupold would be great.
I like my Bushnell scopes and never have had an issue with them, but I don't have any on heavier kicking rifles, so I can't speak to that.
After reading what MD wrote about Burris Fullfield II scopes and how they handle recoil, I certainly would consider one of those.
I'm planning on a muzzle loader hunt in NM and am planning on using a 50 caliber Remington 700 Ultimate muzzle loader, it will wear a Leupold M8 4x or perhaps a Leupold VX 3 2.5x8 that I took off a 338 I bought a few years ago and sold recently. I'll do some practicing at dawn and dusk with those two scopes before I decide for sure. Good luck with your 338 and your elk hunting.

Never seen a VX3i 3-9x40, something new?
What kind of reticle are you looking for? Do you use MPBR, holdovers, or dial you turrets? I'd be happy to help guide you through our catalog. https://athlonoptics.com/product-category/rifle-scopes/
Posted By: osix Re: New scope for a .338 Win Mag - 06/27/18
Mine wears a Swarovski Z3 in 3-9x36 with a 4a reticle; prefer it to the 2.5-8x36 leapold it wore previously.
Any 2.5-8X that will mount on medium height rings from a manufacturer that offers a lifetime warranty and uses fairly thick center crosshairs in their duplex reticle. My latest Leupold's center cross hairs are a bit thin for a big game rifle, but my recent Burris scopes are more like my original Leupold VariX3's reticle.
© 24hourcampfire