Home
Do Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica make a scope for small game hunting? Something comparable to the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR is preferred. I have looked at several online websites over the last week or so and have not found anything similar to the Leupold EFR scopes.
Pardon the drift, but most, I think would classify a 6.5-20 as something other than a small-game scope, EFR or not. Maybe it's a terminology difference. Small game to me generally means small edible mammals or even some birds, as opposed to varmints, often shot at long range.

Don't know about the brands you mention because they're out of my "range". Try the airgun sites for ideas. Those guys use a lot of PA scopes, using the focus for guessing range IIRC in Field Target.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Higher end small game scopes - 05/21/18
What are you hunting, and the range?
I would use the same scope I used for big game.
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm
Do Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica make a scope for small game hunting? Something comparable to the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR is preferred. I have looked at several online websites over the last week or so and have not found anything similar to the Leupold EFR scopes.

I don't like much over 10x on my rabbit rifle, so settled on a Zeiss C series 10 x 36 ao.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Higher end small game scopes - 05/21/18
Essentially any AO scope will work. Those with a 25 yard minimum distance may be a bit better than those with a 50 yard minimum. EFR is better yet but not truly necessary. Most fixed parallax rimfire scopes are set around 60-65 yards or so. Anything shorter is an improvement up close, just a question of how much improvement.

The 6.5-20x EFR is a nice scope. Sometimes too heavy for a svelte rimfire. I believe Midway still has some VX II compact 3-9x RF specials with AO, CDS, and their windplex horizontal crosshair. Damned nice little scopes.

Tom
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I don't like much over 10x on my rabbit rifle, so settled on a Zeiss C series 10 x 36 ao.

How are the optics and mechanics on the Zeiss 10x36C? I've always been intrigued by that scope.

This is the second C series I have owned and am very pleased with it, when I sighted it in it clicked straight to where I wanted it, and is a joy to use on the Brno 22lr.
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Essentially any AO scope will work. Those with a 25 yard minimum distance may be a bit better than those with a 50 yard minimum. EFR is better yet but not truly necessary. Most fixed parallax rimfire scopes are set around 60-65 yards or so. Anything shorter is an improvement up close, just a question of how much improvement.

The 6.5-20x EFR is a nice scope. Sometimes too heavy for a svelte rimfire. I believe Midway still has some VX II compact 3-9x RF specials with AO, CDS, and their windplex horizontal crosshair. Damned nice little scopes.

Tom

We have several of both sized EFRs, and prefer them to all others we have tried. I was just hoping there was something between the two Leupolds in magnification that was at least as good in quality. I have not found a foreign scope of sufficient magnification that will focus less than 50 yds. I am surprised by this, as at least Swarovski used to market a very nice Field Target scope for air rifles.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Higher end small game scopes - 05/25/18
I have two Leupold 3-9 EFR Scopes. The older is badged as an Ultralight. The new one is badged as a .22 scope. I can't see any difference in them except the newer one may have better coatings and maybe a little brighter. I have had the older one on a .22, a springer air gun, then a .243 for years, until recently then back on a .22. The new one will go on a .22. They focus down to ten meters and up to infinity. I can't imagine the need for more X's for small game as I visualize such.

Jack

Tom

We have several of both sized EFRs, and prefer them to all others we have tried. I was just hoping there was something between the two Leupolds in magnification that was at least as good in quality. I have not found a foreign scope of sufficient magnification that will focus less than 50 yds. I am surprised by this, as at least Swarovski used to market a very nice Field Target scope for air rifles.

You can adjust the parallax o a Leupold scope yourself.
https://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/33-adjusting-parallax-on-non-ao-scope.aspx
BlackBranchFarms: I own four Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scopes and indeed they are an amazing tool!
But three of them are on centerfire Rifles. The fourth is on a rare Kimber S/V/T heavy barrel Rifle in 17 Mach2. This Kimber with that scope is a Ground Squirrel killing MACHINE!
I don't think I would recommend the 6.5x20 EFR Leupold for "all around" small game Hunting though.
That Kimber with the 6.5x20 EFR scope would be slightly difficult to Hunt more traditional small game animals with (Rabbits, Grouse etc).
If I was looking for a "high end, small game scope" I would definitely set my sights on a Leupold 3x9 Compact with adjustable objective (EFR).
I have a couple of these 3x9 EFR's on rimfire Rifles and they are the cat's meow!
They are hard to find though and somewhat pricey (though much less than an EFR 6.5x20 Leupold).
The Du-Plex reticle in my 3x9 EFR's is very pleasing to me and again I highly recommend one.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by bcraig

Tom

You can adjust the parallax o a Leupold scope yourself.
https://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/33-adjusting-parallax-on-non-ao-scope.aspx

Thank you for that. interesting read.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BlackBranchFarms: I own four Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scopes and indeed they are an amazing tool!
But three of them are on centerfire Rifles. The fourth is on a rare Kimber S/V/T heavy barrel Rifle in 17 Mach2. This Kimber with that scope is a Ground Squirrel killing MACHINE!
I don't think I would recommend the 6.5x20 EFR Leupold for "all around" small game Hunting though.
That Kimber with the 6.5x20 EFR scope would be slightly difficult to Hunt more traditional small game animals with (Rabbits, Grouse etc).
If I was looking for a "high end, small game scope" I would definitely set my sights on a Leupold 3x9 Compact with adjustable objective (EFR).
I have a couple of these 3x9 EFR's on rimfire Rifles and they are the cat's meow!
They are hard to find though and somewhat pricey (though much less than an EFR 6.5x20 Leupold).
The Du-Plex reticle in my 3x9 EFR's is very pleasing to me and again I highly recommend one.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes Sir, that is what we use most of the time. They are a good compromise, but the field of view is not really good enough for fast moving squirrels nor is the power enough for eye ring shots in late sesaon when they are further out. I was hoping there was something a little better out there, but I guess squirrel hunters are a dying breed and there just isn't anything out there.

Thanks to every one who contributed.

I have a 2-7 Kahles rimfire that I’m quite fond of. No A/O, but about perfect for squirrel hunting.

The suggestions of the Leupold EFR series are good. I have a couple of the 3-9 version. I don’t need or want higher power than that. They have A/O and can be focused really close. I have a 50’ indoor rimfire range over my carport/shop. The A/O allows perfect parallax setting.

DF
Zeiss made a 3=9X40 Conquest that was parallax adjusted to 50 yards.There are still some around. The Nightforce 2.5-10X42 NXS has parallax adjustment to 10 yards. There may also be some of the newer tactical type scopes that have parallax adjustment for close range.

My personal favorite rimfire hunting scope for squirrels is the Leupold VX2 4-12 AO with fine duplex. It is light and will focus to about 25 yards on 12X and closer on lower power.
We've been over this ground before in your earlier thread, but the Tract Tekoa 3-12 focuses to 15 yards, has 34+ feet fov. Comes in
T-plex and a bdc model, 42 & 50mm objectives. Very sharp and clear, accurate adjustments. Side focus, lots of diopter for older eyes. Weighs about 20oz. $574 list, $402 for demos if there are any left.

I prefer the Leupy 3-9x33 ao for the compact size. Longest shot I ever made with one was 50 yards, but that was easy. Sorry I let that one go, but they're making more, I hear.
good call Pappy.

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Better glass than a VX6, incredible reticle, solid, repeatable, focus down to 10 yds, lots of internal adjustment. Not cheap, but less than a VX6HD.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
We've been over this ground before in your earlier thread, but the Tract Tekoa 3-12 focuses to 15 yards, has 34+ feet fov. Comes in
T-plex and a bdc model, 42 & 50mm objectives. Very sharp and clear, accurate adjustments. Side focus, lots of diopter for older eyes. Weighs about 20oz. $574 list, $402 for demos if there are any left.

I prefer the Leupy 3-9x33 ao for the compact size. Longest shot I ever made with one was 50 yards, but that was easy. Sorry I let that one go, but they're making more, I hear.

Unfortunately, I believe Leupold has stopped making the smaller EFR scope. At least I can't find them anywhere.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Zeiss made a 3=9X40 Conquest that was parallax adjusted to 50 yards.There are still some around. The Nightforce 2.5-10X42 NXS has parallax adjustment to 10 yards. There may also be some of the newer tactical type scopes that have parallax adjustment for close range.

My personal favorite rimfire hunting scope for squirrels is the Leupold VX2 4-12 AO with fine duplex. It is light and will focus to about 25 yards on 12X and closer on lower power.

Thank you for the recommendation. I am interested in the Conquest scopes.

Can you tell me a little about the Nightforce? For example, is it available with a plex or No. 4 type reticle? Thanks!
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Better glass than a VX6, incredible reticle, solid, repeatable, focus down to 10 yds, lots of internal adjustment. Not cheap, but less than a VX6HD.

This is interesting, as I have contemplated their scopes before. I believe I could see the triangle reticle well, but would likely have trouble with close shots where I have to hold over the target. Do you find that to be true?
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Thank you for the recommendation. I am interested in the Conquest scopes.

Can you tell me a little about the Nightforce? For example, is it available with a plex or No. 4 type reticle? Thanks!

The Nightforce is nearly $2000. My point was though that some of the tactical scopes will focus very close.I wish I could put a Nightforce NXS on a great rimfire,but alas,my pocket is light.

This is interesting, as I have contemplated their scopes before. I believe I could see the triangle reticle well, but would likely have trouble with close shots where I have to hold over the target. Do you find that to be true?

They have duplexes (or crosswires) with red and green dots.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Higher end small game scopes - 05/30/18
FWIW, I have shot some SMALL groups at 25 yds on a 22 mag with a Leupold 2-7x, OEM.....parallax for centerfire.

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Better glass than a VX6,

I like Trijicon scopes, too. But not sure their glass is "better" than a VX-6.

Just me.

DF
Here's a .22 Mag T Bolt with VX-3 1.75-6x33. It's not 50 yd. parallax but with the .22 Mag, 100 yd parallax is probably better.

DF

[Linked Image]
I like that combo Dirtfarmer, what reticle do you use with it?
I just use a 4 power leupold scope for small game works great for squirrel huntin.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Duplex.

I traded for this gun, set up like you see it. It came with the Leupold Alumina covers. I've made a couple of trades with Cabelas, knowing they are going to "take their half out of the middle".. In this case, a set of Alumina covers is about $100 from MidwayUSA. They didn't seem too concerned, I was glad.

I've been known to trade them a gun I wouldn't sell here on the Classifieds or to a friend, if you get my drift... They act like they know everything, let'em figure it out...

DF
My 2 favorites are both Leupolds and discontinued. VX ll 4x12 AO and Varix lll 4.5x14. Both have AO and can be had with fine duplex reticle. Keep an eye on ebay 'til you find one but I might out bid ya. Ha,Ha
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Duplex.

I traded for this gun, set up like you see it. It came with the Leupold Alumina covers. I've made a couple of trades with Cabelas, knowing they are going to "take their half out of the middle".. In this case, a set of Alumina covers is about $100 from MidwayUSA. They didn't seem too concerned, I was glad.

I've been known to trade them a gun I wouldn't sell here on the Classifieds or to a friend, if you get my drift... They act like they know everything, let'em figure it out...

DF

Most of the guys in the gun library are too smart by ½.

Duplex.

DF

Most of the guys in the gun library are too smart by ½.

They trade hard, expecting the customer to “take a bath”.

I like taking a “bath” on a deal with them, without getting “wet”.

Their overall superior, smug attitudes sets them up for “special treatment”, not too unlike old fashioned horse trading.

DF

Just me.

DF

Neither Glass or Eyebox are better then a Leupold
Here is an example of the type of thing I am looking for, just not sure how close it focuses or how large the dot is.

https://swfa.com/swarovski-3-18x50-z6i-30mm-riflescope-6.html

Just me.

DF

I am. I did a thorough, side-by-side comparison late one afternoon. One thought the VX-6 was very sharp, until the same target (fine print) was viewed with the Trijicon. It was easy to see the difference.

I have only the MOA Dot, but I've looked at the triangle. It is not a problem to hold over with either.

I can't imagine anyone having trouble seeing the MoA Dot. It is smaller than the triangle, but very bright.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Just me.

DF

Neither Glass or Eyebox are better then a Leupold

Eyebox is pretty much a function of exit pupil, which is simply obj. dia. divided by power, but I would say the VX6 and the Trijicon Accupoint were tied in that regard. However, to get Leupold glass that is as sharp and clear as the Accupoint you have to buy a Leupold HD, which are usually around $1,500+.

I have only the MOA Dot, but I've looked at the triangle. It is not a problem to hold over with either.

I can't imagine anyone having trouble seeing the MoA Dot. It is smaller than the triangle, but very bright.

I am not sure of the optical laws envolved, but sometimes bright dots show flare and are hard to use. I think this is caused by my astigmatism, but I don't know why it is worse in some scopes and not others. I would worry about the dot reticle but I believe the triangle reticle would be useful.
I had no trouble with flare in Hawkes or a Leupold I used for a few years. I adjust the brightness to the lowest level it's visible at and focus carefully.

Reflex sights can be a bit trickier since they don't focus (none I've seen anyway). For the sharpest dot in those, I use weak reading glasses that essentially correct my distance vision a touch. Again, the brightness setting is key.
I am not sure of the optical laws envolved, but sometimes bright dots show flare and are hard to use. I think this is caused by my astigmatism, but I don't know why it is worse in some scopes and not others. I would worry about the dot reticle but I believe the triangle reticle would be useful.

The Accupoints do not have batteries. They have a port (window) where ambient light comes in, which is then carried to the reticle by a fiber optic. You can run the port wide open, or you can close it off completely, or anything in between.

The "flare" you are talking about is usually not a problem with them, but can be if the port is in direct sunlight. It takes about 2 seconds to turn the ring to restrict the light coming in. Problem solved.

My favorite scopes are my NF's, but not for hunting. The Trijicon with the fiber optic dot is my favorite for hunting.
© 24hourcampfire