Home
Posted By: Buckhunter30 Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Hey guys what would be a good scope option for a Ruger no. 1 in 375 h and h?
Posted By: RGK Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Leupold 3X FX II fixed-power with a heavy duplex. Excellent eye relief and glass. Simple and rugged; all you need and nothing more.
Bob
Posted By: TBS Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
A good friend of mine struggled to get a scope that was just right for his no.1 in 375. He tried a leupold straight 4 power, a leupold 2.5 to 8 vIII and could not get the eye relief right. I let him borrow my Weaver V3 Japan version and he is now in scope heaven. He bought it and i replaced it with a Hawke from Doug at Cameraland.
Posted By: hanco Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Leupold VX III. 3.5x10
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Originally Posted by hanco
Leupold VX III. 3.5x10

That's my standard answer, but maybe not for a .375. The 3x sounds right, if they still make it. The last time I tried to peruse the Custom Shop, the build-a-scope thingy was gone.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
I can use the Leupold 3.5-10 on a No. 1, but only up to about 5X. I run out of eye relief past 5X using extension rings.. I want to like No. 1s, but I have never been successful at scoping them. after five or six copies, I gave up.

Good Luck,

Jack
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
I have the 3.5-10 still in rings for my 1V, but currently it's wearing a Hawke 8x56, which just barely works with 4" of ER. No extension rings available in the height needed for that stovepipe.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
i had a 1.5-5 vx3 on mine. Its a great combo. I took it off and put it on my marlin 45/70 and replaced it with a 3-9x40 conquest. The bigger scope is prob more versatile but I prefer that 1-5. I put warne QR rings on it so if I wanna use irons I can
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Leupold 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 both sound great. My 375 wasn't a #1 but the 2.5-8 was a nice compromise
Posted By: Phoneman Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
yes a 2.5-8 is a fine scope, forgot about them. I have one on a 30-30.
Posted By: eblake Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
The Leupold 1.5 to 5 works great on my #1. The straight tube helps a lot with eye relief, even with the offset rings.
My favorite remains a 6x36 Leupold. You can reverse the rear sight so it folds to the rear and use low rings.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Originally Posted by Buckhunter30

What do you intend to use your .375 for?
If plains game, US big game, etc. is in your plans, and maybe Africa dangerous game at some point, I recommend the Leupold VX3 2.5-8. I have this scope on my Ruger Hawkeye African, .375 Ruger, and it has worked very well for all of the game just mentioned. It is lightweight, durable, and has lots of eye relief.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
My favorite is the Weaver 2.5 like the one on the 45-70 - on the right. (That old Burris 2.5X on the 9.3 is my second preference, followed by the Leopold 2.5X.)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hookeye Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Originally Posted by Bighorn

What do you intend to use your .375 for?
If plains game, US big game, etc. is in your plans, and maybe Africa dangerous game at some point, I recommend the Leupold VX3 2.5-8. I have this scope on my Ruger Hawkeye African, .375 Ruger, and it has worked very well for all of the game just mentioned. It is lightweight, durable, and has lots of eye relief.

Proly need offset rings..........which look ugly.
Posted By: JGray Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
I have a heck of a time getting scopes mounted back far enough for eye relief on No. 1's so use straight tube low power variables with a rear offset ring. My preference is the Nikon 1-4x20 due to the longer tube and 4x max has never been an issue. The No. 1H 375 H&H is one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
My favorite is the Weaver 2.5 like the one on the 45-70 - on the right. (That old Burris 2.5X on the 9.3 is my second preference, followed by the Leopold 2.5X.)

[Linked Image]

The configuration of the left scope, position of turret, length of tube, is about ideal for the #1, which isn't an easy gun to scope, especially if you like your scope set back a bit. Unfortunately, most scope aren't built like that.

I got a picatinny rail, used low Weavers on mine. Not the prettiest, but it does allow the scope to be positioned correctly for me without dogleg rings.

If Ruger had made their quarter rib with the rear ring base over the receiver, these problems wouldn't be an issue.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
I used a Leupold 3-9X Vari X II on my last one. I didn't have any issues with scope positioning or eye relief. It was at the limit of rear-ward positioning, couldn't have gone farther back, but it was entirely satisfactory. It could be that because I tend to crawl the stock, it worked for me but wouldn't for someone else who did not crawl the stock, so no promises.

I'm pretty sure I had an older (friction adjust) Vari X III 2.5-8X on my first #1 .375 for a while. We're talkin' about 30 years ago but I think I had eye relief issues because the scope tube was too short to set the scope back far enough.

I would look really hard at a Leupold 1.5-5X for more flexibility but I really like more magnification on a .375 that is going to be used as a general purpose rifle. 3-9X is as useful on a .375 as it is on an '06.

Tom
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
For those of us who don't stock crawl, who like a more heads up shooting position, scoping with optimal eye relief can be a night mare.

DF
Posted By: Buckhunter30 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Thanks guys I was going towards the Leupold 1.5-5 can you help me with a scope mount and ring set up?
Posted By: JGray Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Ruger factory rings work fine for me.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/23/18
Thanks guys I was going towards the Leupold 1.5-5 can you help me with a scope mount and ring set up?

Not mine but this might work for you.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12876270/leupold-vari-x-iii-1-5-5x20
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/24/18
I think Warne makes rings for them if you don't have the factory rings.
Posted By: RGK Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/24/18
Ruger No 1 (7x57), Warne QD rings and a Leupold 1.5-5x. Nice combo.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/26/18
I guess I'm a "crawler" (which may be why I like e'm as low as possible), but that makes forward mounting more favorable, which seems more adaptable to easier access for unloading/reloading.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/26/18
Biggest question remains as to the use you intend for the rifle. For me, except for the Leupold 1.5-5x (seems they are built tougher for heavy caliber rifles), I would stick to a fixed power as I have had many failures of variables on heavy kickers. The 3x is a dandy, as is the old long tube Leupold 4x28, and even the 6x36. I mount them as JGray describes above, with an extension ring on the rear.
Posted By: Jeremy783 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/26/18
You will need the offset rings if your short armed unless your eye relief is about 5 inches
Posted By: Jeremy783 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/26/18
Or a really long tube scope
Posted By: Buckhunter30 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/27/18
Anyone else on bases and rings for this?
Posted By: rj308 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/27/18
If you like low, use Leupold low Ruger type scope rings. They are a lower than lower than factory Ruger low rings. I use them on my K1A 6.5 Swede with a Leupold VX-3 1.5x5. It's a sweet set-up, and you can get the eye relief you need. RJ
Posted By: rj308 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/27/18
The Swede
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pete53 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/27/18
I started putting on a picatinny base and rings on my Ruger no. 1`s that I hunt with so I can now for the last ten years use Nightforce scopes , believe me NightForce builds a much better scope.
Posted By: Buckhunter30 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/27/18
What's a common base for these?
Posted By: JGray Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/31/18
I think most folks use either factory or other manufacturer's Ruger rings (like the Leupold posted above) to mount directly to the dovetailed rib already on the rifle. One exception might be the No. 1 heavy barreled varmint configuration with no rib - that takes separate bases where I typically see Weaver style bases used. If going a different route, a couple of other options have already been mentioned above (picatinny rail). One I don't think that has been mentioned is the Ruger to Weaver adapter that Burris makes allowing Burris or Weaver style rings to mount to the factory dovetailed rib.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/31/18

Pick the power range you need on any Minox ZA-5 series if they're still available, dandiest amount of continuous eye relief I've ever peered through.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 05/31/18
Originally Posted by rj308
If you like low, use Leupold low Ruger type scope rings. They are a lower than lower than factory Ruger low rings. I use them on my K1A 6.5 Swede with a Leupold VX-3 1.5x5. It's a sweet set-up, and you can get the eye relief you need. RJ

I used a set of those to mount a little Leupold 2.5 on the .45/70 I had a couple years back. Those rings, however, won't tighten properly on the bases of my 1V. The bases must be narrower than the rib. Two sets of Ruger rings fit fine.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 06/02/18
Originally Posted by eblake
The Leupold 1.5 to 5 works great on my #1. The straight tube helps a lot with eye relief, even with the offset rings.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

Besides, the 1.5-5 is MEANT to be on a .375....
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 06/02/18
Originally Posted by rj308
The Swede
[Linked Image]

NICE!

DF
Posted By: Fotis Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 06/03/18
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Leupold 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 both sound great. My 375 wasn't a #1 but the 2.5-8 was a nice compromise

this
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 06/03/18
I use a 1.5-5 on my 275R. Needed a straight tube scope to clear the rear express sight. Its a good fit for the rifle overall.
Posted By: tx270 Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 06/06/18
I run a 2.5-8 VX3 on my 1A and think it fits well.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 06/06/18
The 2.5-8X and 2-7X Leupolds wouldn't work for me unless I ran two offset rings.
In keeping with the eurotrash look, I just used one.
Old M8 4x has a long tube.......still used offset ring to make it more comfy.
Moved slightly more rearward since.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hookeye Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 06/06/18
FWIW

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/hd-ruger-no.-1-picatinny-scope-mount-ambidextrous/

Replaces the rib, is not the stack on type sold by EABCO

https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-Number-One-Scope-Mount--Slip-Over-Weaver-Style_p_14160.html
Posted By: rifletom Re: Scope for Ruger no. 1 - 06/06/18
I put a Leupold VX II 3x9 on my No.1B[30-06]. I called Ruger and had them send me a set of extension rings. These work like a champ. Not sure they still do that, as this was a few years ago. Just an idea.
© 24hourcampfire