Home
Posted By: 79inpa best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
i'm looking for a set of elk hunting binoculars in 300 to 500 dollar range. They should be around 8x magnification. What you guys recommend. Hey doug and other others!
I'd certainly take a look at the Meopta Meopro HD in that price Range. Doug's got 'em.
Zen Ray.......awesome.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
Zen Ray is out of business
Posted By: kingston Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
LOL!
Posted By: kingston Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
Zen Ray Warranty

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/85535-zen-ray-optics.html
Posted By: basdjs Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
I've been really happy with the upper end Nikon Monarch's...either 5 or 7 depending on your budget. They work well if you wear glasses too because of the eye relief.
Posted By: Ringman Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Zen Ray.......awesome.

I bought some 7X36 when I was going to upgrade. They were not as good on my optics chart as the Nikon 7X35.
You don't get what you pay for. You get what you shop for.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
ask Doug
Posted By: bwinters Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
I bought Minox, several pairs actually, from Doug 6-8 years ago and have been really happy with them. They are right around $500 back then. Might be a tad more now.
Under $500.00 my top pick is a Meopta Meopro.
There's quality offerings from Hawke, Leupold, Athlon and Steiner but my go to in that price range is the Meopta.
Please feel free to give me a call to discuss what would be best for you.
Posted By: skeen Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
I have no experience with Meopta, but for under $500 I'd look real hard at Nikon Monarch 7s.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
Do I want 8 or 10 power?
8 power.

Up the budget and get the Meopta Meostar instead.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
There are those here that know a lot more about elk hunting than I do, I have been on 3 elk hunts with 2 being successful, but like many here lack of experience does not stop us from our opinion.

I have used both 10X and 8.5X binoculars while elk hunting and in my opinion if you are using your binoculars for only finding elk and then making a stalk then the 8X will see as many elk as the 10X and maybe more in thicker cover. I think in most cases 8x will tell you if there is a bull in the herd as will as a 10X will, and the 10X will not be enough to tell you if the bull is a good bull or not over the 8X. Without a spotting scope you will need to get closer once you find the elk to evaluate a bull with either binocular so 10X is not much help. Also you will find it easier to glass for long periods of time with an 8X vs 10X, especially if you do not have a lot of experience with binoculars. Others here I am sure use their binoculars enough to be able hold the 10X steady for long periods of time but I am not one of those.

If you also carry a spotting scope the the 8X would be preferred because you will find the elk with the binocular and evaluate with the spotting scope anyway.

Just my opinion and others will disagree, and that is fine.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
There are those here that know a lot more about elk hunting than I do, I have been on 3 elk hunts with 2 being successful, but like many here lack of experience does not stop us from our opinion.

I have used both 10X and 8.5X binoculars while elk hunting and in my opinion if you are using your binoculars for only finding elk and then making a stalk then the 8X will see as many elk as the 10X and maybe more in thicker cover. I think in most cases 8x will tell you if there is a bull in the herd as will as a 10X will, and the 10X will not be enough to tell you if the bull is a good bull or not over the 8X. Without a spotting scope you will need to get closer once you find the elk to evaluate a bull with either binocular so 10X is not much help. Also you will find it easier to glass for long periods of time with an 8X vs 10X, especially if you do not have a lot of experience with binoculars. Others here I am sure use their binoculars enough to be able hold the 10X steady for long periods of time but I am not one of those.

If you also carry a spotting scope the the 8X would be preferred because you will find the elk with the binocular and evaluate with the spotting scope anyway.

Just my opinion and others will disagree, and that is fine.

I agree with the above.
Posted By: CWT Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
I have the 8X42 Meopros I bought from Doug. They are very good especially for the price.
I've got a set of Pentax 8X43 DCF SP's new in the box you can have for $350 shipped.

Very good glass for not very much money.....

PM me for pictures...
Posted By: bowmanh Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
Depends where you are hunting. If it's in very open country the 10x might be an advantage. In much of elk country there is a mix of timber and open areas and in that environment an 8x is probably just as good, maybe even a bit better in heavy timber. I prefer 10x for hunting mule deer in the open, but for elk in the timber I like 8x just fine.
This is a really good price on a great binocular. I've had mine for years and they are really good. If I wasn't such a bino whore already these would be coming my way.
Posted By: rifletom Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
Swift Audobon 8.5x44 roofs are damn good glass. right at $400. Very good glass.
Have to admit, that deal from "oldslowdog" for the Pentax is tough to beat. I have one of those. Also, very good glass.
Originally Posted by skeen
I have no experience with Meopta, but for under $500 I'd look real hard at Nikon Monarch 7s.

I ordered one from my local gun store. I offered him the opportunity to look through it first. After a couple minutes he said,
"I wish I hadn't looked through that!" They are great. They are certainly better than anything he had in his store.
Might look for a used tract toric it would be a huge upgrade over the meopro's
If you don't mind used, I have a pair of Made in Germany Minox 8x43HG that I will sell for $500.00.
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr

I own both and agree. The Torics are a significant step up.
Originally Posted by elkaddict

Good info.

Good info.
Posted By: javman Re: best binoculars under 500 - 06/06/18
Sightron III, great glass.

The original Toric UHD 10x42 are on closeout for $531 since they came out with a Schott version
Posted By: 79inpa Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/05/18
I ordered the 8 power by 42 meopta meopros. Only I got an open box pair from doug for 380. available on his website!
Posted By: Dre Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/06/18
Doug you sold zen rays. whats the story?
Posted By: norske Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/06/18
I'm with olddog. Doug sold me a set of 8X43 Pentax DCF SP binoculars years ago. That led to a Pentax spotting scope, a Pentax DSLR and 4 lenses. I'm happy with all of them.
If you haven't checked out the Athlon Optics, the Cronus 8.5x42 might interest you. We use an extra low dispersion glass, and E2ES (to give you a great image even on the edges of the glass). These have a long eye relief of 22mm as well.
Originally Posted by Dre

Zen-Ray seems to be gone. It was an independent by an individual who worked with mfg's in China. He made nothing, to the best of my knowledge, just imported under his brand name. He offered good quality at a lower than the competitions price.
Like any new company there's a risk of them not making it. In the last few years there's a slew of new start up's. Some are very well financed and have the ability to become the next name brand.
Some direct to consumer companies have started popping up. I guess we shall see what becomes of those.
Posted By: tomk Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/06/18
Meopta is a huge company and been making good glass for a long time...and not just manufacturing for Meopta. I imagine they will continue to do so.

Considering the worldwide competition, engineers aplenty and no secrets to the sourcing of components, would surprised that at any given area of price point a "huge" advantage could exist.

And if it does, companies that don't make profits go tits up with time.
Posted By: Dre Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/07/18
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by Dre

Zen-Ray seems to be gone. It was an independent by an individual who worked with mfg's in China. He made nothing, to the best of my knowledge, just imported under his brand name. He offered good quality at a lower than the competitions price.
Like any new company there's a risk of them not making it. In the last few years there's a slew of new start up's. Some are very well financed and have the ability to become the next name brand.
Some direct to consumer companies have started popping up. I guess we shall see what becomes of those.

Thanks for the reply.
I convinced my buddy to buy a pair of their 10x42 HDs two or so years back.
Reading the other link provided sounds like their warranty is MIA.
You have some info on this? I don’t want to get questioned if something does happen.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/07/18
Dre, Zen Ray is out of business, history, gone, shut down.
I understand that, so they had no warranty service back ups?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/07/18
I don't think so. In reading about it over on Birdforum, their facebook page is offline and nobody answers any phones.
And this is why I am Afraid to buy tract optics. As much as I want to! And they said they do have a back up service/warranty. But look now at zen ray.
Might also have to stay away from Athlon, hawke, and bunch of others I can’t think of right now.
I know it’s not Doug fault, but selling products with out some sort of a guarantee back ups, me not like taking another chance to be SOL
Another vote for Pentax. I've had the 10x40 DCF WP for many years and I have been extremely happy with them. The glass is vey clear and sharp. For the price, they're hard to beat.
Posted By: WAM Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/07/18
Just like Alpen optics; walk in, shut down websites and walk away. No warranty..
Posted By: Shag Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/07/18
Got a lot of chitt going on, a lot of money going out and I'm gonna dump $215 on Cabelas 10x42 HD Bins. Amazing stuff. A little heavy but clarity and eye comfort money! Save hundreds..
We do our best to take care of the members here. We have all kinds of deals we cannot openly post. Always feel free to give us a call and we can work with you to get you the best optics in your budget
Originally Posted by Dre
And this is why I am Afraid to buy tract optics. As much as I want to! And they said they do have a back up service/warranty. But look now at zen ray.
Might also have to stay away from Athlon, hawke, and bunch of others I can’t think of right now.
I know it’s not Doug fault, but selling products with out some sort of a guarantee back ups, me not like taking another chance to be SOL

Just to address a few of your concerns.

Hawke has been around a long time. It is a VERY well established company out of England who is very well respected and known in the AirGun world. No worries at all

Athlon, is EXTREMELY well funded, and IMO, and in 5 years will be a major player right there with Nikon, Leupold, Vortex and Bushnell. Most likely surpassing some of the regular brands. They are building their company wisely by listening to what is said on these forums and responding in kind. The launch of their new Ares ETR, Cronus Tactical Spotter as well as their pricing compared to others is proof of this.

When we 1st brought in Zen-Ray, and announced we were carrying it due to popular demand, we stated that it was a privately owned company and if anything ever happened to the man who owned it we felt the company would disappear. Unfortunately, it seems that is what happened.

Saab was around a long time and many people loved them. Saab is no longer around as an auto company and parts are very difficult to find. Unfortunately some brands go out of business. Many car brands have disappeared since I was a kid. Some no names become huge and some brands that when we were kids that were 'go to' brands seem to be falling into the shadows. When I was a kid GE was THE brand, nowadays it seems they're hardly there when looking for appliances.

Nobody ever thought that Leupold would not own 80% of the scope market as they did 20 years ago. Nobody ever thought that Nikon and Canon would be behind Sony in the photo industry with the most popular highest quality cameras.
Things change.We do our best to stay on top of these changes and be here to assist you.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Athlon, is EXTREMELY well funded, and IMO, and in 5 years will be a major player right there with Nikon, Leupold, Vortex and Bushnell. Most likely surpassing some of the regular brands. They are building their company wisely by listening to what is said on these forums and responding in kind. The launch of their new Ares ETR, Cronus Tactical Spotter as well as their pricing compared to others is proof of this.

Seems like Athlon is just putting out a bunch of the same old tactical crap that every other manufacturer is making. Still no one has built something along the lines of a hunting version of the SWFA 3-9, which we’ve been harping about for years. When a manufacturer builds that scope (and it actually stays in line and tracks), then I’ll think they’re listening to the hunters.
thanks for the reply Doug. but I did not see this.
"we stated that it was a privately owned company and if anything ever happened to the man who owned it we felt the company would disappear. Unfortunately, it seems that is what happened."
Originally Posted by Dre
thanks for the reply Doug. but I did not see this.
"we stated that it was a privately owned company and if anything ever happened to the man who owned it we felt the company would disappear. Unfortunately, it seems that is what happened."

We mentioned it when we started carrying it and we mentioned it when folks called in to discuss ZenRay vs other brands.

"Seems like Athlon is just putting out a bunch of the same old tactical crap that every other manufacturer is making. Still no one has built something along the lines of a hunting version of the SWFA 3-9, which we’ve been harping about for years. When a manufacturer builds that scope (and it actually stays in line and tracks), then I’ll think they’re listening to the hunters."

Not looking to get into a whole long discussion on SWFA vs the world as I am not versed in their private label scopes. I do understand that they are good quality or guys wouldn't always speak so highly of them. SWFA scopes have a great reputation and following. Nothing bad to say about it.

I do know that Athon offers some similar product to other mfg's, however, they do so at 20-40% less $$$. They also offer a few different reticle options that aren't being offered by the hoards of other mfg's. I also believe that their staff offers amazing customer service and the quality control of their products is top rate vs some companies who need to live by their warranty as they have shotty quality control and there's ALWAYS posts about how great the warranty is because when their xxx failed the company took care of it. I think the best warranty is the one you've never used because you never had an issue.

I think their Argos 2-10x40 - BDC 600 for only $199.99 is a slammin' value and a great scope. I also think that if you've read this Argos BTR review you'd agree that for under $400.00 this scope is tough to beat.

There's no "best brand" for all products. Some companies excel at one thing and others at a different thing. That's where we try to advise you and are always happy to talk with you about what would be best for your use.
We are also here to assist with any brand we represent, if you have any issues, whether you purchased it from us or not. That's what customer service and being a supporting vendor here means.
For scanning the valley down below here the old Bushnell 7x35 WA's are fine and only weigh 21 oz.

If it mattered I could say I saw it with the Leupold 7/12 switch powers that weigh 26 oz.

I hope my Hensoldt 8X56's are in the camp?
Back to the OP's question:

Again, get 8 power Meopta Meostar HD. You'll be happy and not have regrets.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: best binoculars under 500 - 07/08/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Back to the OP's question:

Again, get 8 power Meopta Meostar HD. You'll be happy and not have regrets.

Where can you get Meostar HDs for $500????
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Where can you get Meostar HDs for $500????

I'd be interested to know that as well.

The best price I've found on the MeoPro 8x42s is $479.95.

The best price I've found on the MeoStar 8x42s is $788.00
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
8 power.

Up the budget and get the Meopta Meostar instead.

Think you guys missed the part where DakotaDeer said "up the budget."
But watch the classifieds. When Cabela's closed out their version it was awfully close ... they come up here from time to time.
Here are the Bushnell 8 X binoculars that I would buy:

Bushnell 8X

© 24hourcampfire