Home
I am considering buying a Karl Kaps 6x42 and this reticle is supposed to be available. I'm thinking it would work pretty good in poor lighting. I believe it has a thin cross hair connecting the horizontal segments. Any opinions? RJ

https://www.kaps-zielfernrohre.de/en/
[Linked Image]
I like it.
I like it, too. I checked the website and it's clearly more bold that their #4 so I think it would be pretty sweet.
I'm not crazy about it, but viewing the options it looks best. The others look way too thin.
I’d hunt that.
Yeah, I would, too
Looks pretty good but I'd want to look through it and compare it to a #4 first. The #4 is the standard low light reticle by which all others are judged. I don't ever trust reticle pictures in brochures or on the internet, for some reason they never seem to get the proportions right in the pictures. You really need to look through them first.
What's the latest euro to dollar conversion rate? And have you ordered from them before? And I think that reticle would work fine
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Looks pretty good but I'd want to look through it and compare it to a #4 first. The #4 is the standard low light reticle by which all others are judged. I don't ever trust reticle pictures in brochures or on the internet, for some reason they never seem to get the proportions right in the pictures. You really need to look through them first.

Your right about having to actually look through them. If the three available look like the pictures then this is the only useable one, but no telling what they really look like. They also have a number 1.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just the thing for tigers in the puckerbrush.

Attn: RevMike!
You guys have a good point about looking at that reticle "in person". It does present a problem. I don't know anyone (or local store) that has this scope with this reticle, or this scope, or even a Kaps scope.

Bull64, the Euro conversion rate today is 1 Euro to $1.17, so 645 Euro would be $754.65 It appears that this is Kaps company wedstore. I have not bought from them before, but would not hesitate to do so. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Optics Trade in Slovenia. They are top notch to do business with. They list this scope, at the same price, but only list the #1 and #4 reticles (the heavy bars on the #4 look a bit thin for my liking). I will email Optics trade to see if they can get it in this "Invarient" reticle

I suppose it is a gamble to order it without actually looking at it first. I'm not in that big of a hurry. Maybe the thing to do is email Kaps and ask them some questions about the retical, Are the horizontal points connected by a thin cross hair?, Does the reticle appear exactly as in their picture? If yes and yes, see if they would give me a 100 percent refund if I was dissatisfied with the reticle.

I have read a couple of places that persons owning this scope and the Meopta 6x42 say the Kaps is clearly better than the Meopta. I have a new Meopta 6x42 and I really like that scope. RJ
I'm not certain you can actually buy from them if you live in the U.S. I was looking at the 4x a while back and the "Shipping Not Available" icon lit up. I didn't go further into it because I was just window shopping.

If so, that's a shame. If you find out differently, let us know please.
Pappy, you may be correct, but since I live in Romania, I can order anything they sell. RJ
Sorry. Didn't recognize you in your Sunday outfit.🤦‍♂️

Good deal. They look nice.
I had an old Redfield with that reticle. It was great for low light and quick shots. Worked well on targets too. The only thing I didn't like was if any hold over is required the lower post obscures the target too much. In situations where hold over is not used, shorter ranges or dialing in, it would be a great reticle. Short of thermal scopes or some lighted ones I think it is about ideal for short-medium range hog hunting. It can black out on you but the posts center the eye much like a peep sight so you can shoot sort of instinctively even if you don't have an ideal sight window.
I don't like it that much because the pickets are a little fine at the ends, a bit like the old B&L tapered crosswires that seemed to solve the problem of the growing reticle in FFP variables. I guess you can imagine where the middle is, though, unlike a #1 picket that is too sharp, in which case the important point tends to disappear in poor light.
You don't have to imagine it. In very low light whether you lose the finer crosshair of a 2cd plane #4 or the center tip of a 3-post #1, your eye finds center. You can think your way out of it, however..

I also like the #1 3-post with a sharp point, rather than a rounded one. I tend shoot a bit high on game with a #1 but it is not an issue concentrating on a paper target. When the light gets lows enough and the point fades, center matches the horizontal bars. Personally, would like to see the point just below horizontal.

But some of us have to be re-trained after every coffee break. So I do prefer a #4, because I can't screw things up in those split second reaction moments hunting whitetails...:)

If a guy learns to use these old mechanical reticles and adjusts power to fit the situation, they are every bit as effective as illumination over most short to medium hunting ranges and possibly more effective at short range in very low light. The old boys knew what they were doing. IMHO, a very fine illuminated dot does have a precision advantage at longer yardages than the mechanical stuff in poor light.
S&B has a similar reticle that I have on a 1.5 x 6 x 42 S&B scope on a .375 Ruger. It is fast to get on target and easy to see in thick stuff. It is perfect for this rifle and it's intended use which can be close quarters in thick brush and the need for speed. I will warn you, it is not a target reticle and your groups will probably grow in size which can be disappointing at the range. But when you get over that and realize it is a field scope designed for less than ideal hunting conditions, and it works damn good for that job, you'll once again be happy with your purchase.

My go to reticle has always been the German #4 but I recently purchased a Swarovski 1x6x24 Z6 EER with the German 4 with the circle that I am really liking a lot. I am thinking I would pick this over the 3 poster any day of the week.
I wish Nightforce had it.
Lit up of course.
I live in Hawaii and I have ordered a Kaps 4 x 36 with #4 reticle at the cost of $631.00 USD. Kaps e mailed me and said my order is being "processed". That was 4 weeks
ago. Their web site informed me that this scope is a 4-6 week waiting period. And do ship to Hawaii.

It is an interesting fixed power in a 30 mm tube, so it probably has more w/e adjustment range.

I own Kahles fixed 4 x 32 and a 4 x 36, they are no longer made, as is the S & B 4 x 36. So I'll try the Kaps. Euro talk groups rank the Kaps close to the S & B and better
than the Meopta in like models. (6 x 42).

I'll let the forum know how the purchase goes.
I know several retired military men who were stationed in Germany during their time in the service.They all raved about the Kaps optics...
I like the Invarient, it "looks" bolder. I've got a ffp 3-12 Docter and it looks like a sharpened fence post on 12 power.
Originally Posted by tomk
You don't have to imagine it. In very low light whether you lose the finer crosshair of a 2cd plane #4 or the center tip of a 3-post #1, your eye finds center. You can think your way out of it, however..

I also like the #1 3-post with a sharp point, rather than a rounded one. I tend shoot a bit high on game with a #1 but it is not an issue concentrating on a paper target. When the light gets lows enough and the point fades, center matches the horizontal bars. Personally, would like to see the point just below horizontal.

But some of us have to be re-trained after every coffee break. So I do prefer a #4, because I can't screw things up in those split second reaction moments hunting whitetails...:)

If a guy learns to use these old mechanical reticles and adjusts power to fit the situation, they are every bit as effective as illumination over most short to medium hunting ranges and possibly more effective at short range in very low light. The old boys knew what they were doing. IMHO, a very fine illuminated dot does have a precision advantage at longer yardages than the mechanical stuff in poor light.

My humble apologies, tomk; by 'imagine' I meant 'your eye finds center', and it does, being a neatness Nazi.

Not so sure about your liking of sharp pickets in #1 reticles, though. Within my largish collection of scopes with #1 reticles, only some have the picket tip centrally located on the thickness of the sidebars. More seem to have the tip line up with the upper edge of the sidebars, which can droop over time, unfortunately.

Obviously my education has been neglected, as I have never seen a #1 picket with a rounded top. My favourites do have a blunt picket, however, but not so blunt I can't shoot sub-MoA groups with them on occasion. I like having the blunt picket top central to the sidebar thickness, because sidebar tops then become a useful reference for mid-range shots where the impact may be three or four inches high.

I agree with you on the utility of these old reticles. Being one who worries about the erosion of ethics posed by electronics in hunting, I think that when you can no longer see the top of a (blunt) #1 reticle against your target, maybe it's time to go home for supper.
Leupold is rounded...next to Leica's ...

Zeiss #11 was a neat reticle with the center's top at center of horizontal

Been dinking around with a #2 Zeiss, but it just isn't as thrilling as I thought it might be... they all work fine considering where we came from--would have been interesting to read the reasoning from the designers
Make sure and double check the eye relief if it could be a problem.
© 24hourcampfire