Home
Posted By: rufous New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
I am considering buying a new binocular, hoping to upgrade from my current Swarovski 8x30 SLC that I bought new in 1996.

My primary use is for birding.

One that I am seriously considering is the Vortex Razor HD. I would probably go with the 8x42. It would be better certainly in at least having a closer focusing distance and larger exit pupil but beyond that I am not sure how much of an improvement it would be if any.

I would appreciate some feedback on the Vortex compared to my Swarovski and any other new binocular I should consider. Thanks!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
The Razor HD will be better optically than that SLC. I had the same SLC BTW, but it was made in 2006. The Tract Toric is, however, at least as good as the Razor for far less money. The Toric is fantastic.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
It would be worth checking out the Leica Trinovid 8x32. I really like mine. Regarding birding, they have a very close focus distance. I was a bit leery due to complaints about FOV compared to others, but it has yet to be an issue for me.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
May I also suggest looking at a Meopta MeoStar or a Kowa Genesis?
Posted By: tomk Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
fwiw, in the late 1990's Swaro made some significant coating changes and have been since--as would suspect everyone else has been doing same.

Imagine a bunch of mid-price binos would easily compete view-wise today with a 1996 vintage Swaro. Would be best to try them out. Things like the eyecups, eye relief, focuser and diopter adjustments that you prefer are important, too. Swaro has had the controls down for a long time. Had tried some mid-level stuff that while the glass itself was fine, the creature features were not.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
There's quite a few options out there for similar money that are as good or better than the Razor. Check out the Meostar, Tract Toric, Nikon Monarch HG, and Zeiss Conquest HD. If you are near a large retailer, it really helps to be able to handle numerous pairs.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Those Kowa binoc's and the Meopta I did not bother with cost $800 or so!

I can see really well with the binoc's I got in Walmart (Bushnell) that are less than $100!

Your in Old Bethpage NY. Any woodchucks there these days?
We see Woodchucks here smile
Posted By: 338rcm Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
Wouldnt own Vortex binos BTDT

check out Dougs Meoptas
Give a call, it's our pleasure to discuss options with you
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
We see Woodchucks here smile

Maybe it's your Meopta binoculars?

I don't see as many as years before?

Hensoldt Nacht Diayts 8X56's as good as Meopta's?

cool
Posted By: Ringman Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
Originally Posted by Savage_99

I can see really well with the binoc's I got in Walmart (Bushnell) that are less than $100!

Where's the "like" button?
Posted By: 338rcm Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/16/18
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Where's the "like" button?

I'm sure you would get the "like" button and the "help I' ve fallen and can't get up " button confused
Posted By: rufous Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/18/18
I decided to order the Vortex Razor 8x42. Found them at a really good sale price. Hopefully they will be as good as most of the reviews I have read and actually be an upgrade to my old Swarovskis.
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Wouldnt own Vortex binos BTDT

check out Dougs Meoptas

No more Razors for me either, epic fail in lowlight
Posted By: skeen Re: New binocular upgrade? - 07/18/18
Originally Posted by rufous
I decided to order the Vortex Razor 8x42. Found them at a really good sale price. Hopefully they will be as good as most of the reviews I have read and actually be an upgrade to my old Swarovskis.

Good to hear. I've owned their Talon and Viper binocs and they were a fair value for under $500. The Razors, of course, will be a step up and I've read lots of positive reviews.
© 24hourcampfire