Home
Posted By: okie john Forever Binoculars - 08/31/18
I bought a pair of Leica 7x42 binos about 10 years ago and promptly quit paying attention to other binoculars. They gave great service but I want to replace them with something smaller and lighter, possibly an 8x32. Budget is about $1k but could double for the right reasons.

What's the latest thinking on glasses in this category?

thanks,

Okie John
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Forever Binoculars - 08/31/18
May I suggest you take a peek at the Kowa Genesis 8x33's. Check out this Swarovski EL vs Kowa Genesis review by a member of another forum.

It would be my pleasure to discuss optics options with you
Posted By: Brad Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/01/18
Originally Posted by okie john
I bought a pair of Leica 7x42 binos about 10 years ago and promptly quit paying attention to other binoculars. They gave great service but I want to replace them with something smaller and lighter, possibly an 8x32. Budget is about $1k but could double for the right reasons.

thanks,

Okie John

The Leica 8x32 Ultravid is about all you need to know about 8x32’s... or, you can wait til next year for the 8x32 Noctivid.
Posted By: kingston Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/01/18
The 7x42 and 8x42 Leica Ultravid HD Plus are uniquely compact for 42mm class binoculars. I went with the 8x42, when making similar considerations. Sometimes, I regret not selecting the 7x.

I also have the Meopta Meostar HD 8x32mm wearing Cabela’s name. They’re a fantastic bargain.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/01/18
Originally Posted by Brad

thanks,

Okie John

The Leica 8x32 Ultravid is about all you need to know about 8x32’s... or, you can wait til next year for the 8x32 Noctivid.

^^^^^
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/01/18
Originally Posted by kingston
The 7x42 and 8x42 Leica Ultravid HD Plus are uniquely compact for 42mm class binoculars. I went with the 8x42, when making similar considerations. Sometimes, I regret not selecting the 7x.

I also have the Meopta Meostar HD 8x32mm wearing Cabela’s name. They’re a fantastic bargain.

Why 7x or 8x bins? I’m throwing darts, but is it because hunting in a dense forested or treed environment the magnification isn’t needed? Serious question 😎
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/01/18
The Zeiss 8 x 32 FL's are great, really bright. If you get a used pair, it will be close to 1K.

The Kowa Prominars 8 x 33 binoculars are really nice too.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/01/18
1k?? dude meopta meostar's not even a question. tank like build quality. if you wear glasses eye relief is a tad short. I have some 10x42's HD's I haven't ebay'd yet let me know if interested.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Why 7x or 8x bins? I’m throwing darts, but is it because hunting in a dense forested or treed environment the magnification isn’t needed? Serious question 😎

Yes, my home hunting grounds are hardwood timber and small farms in the foothills of the Appalachians in Pennsylvania. These forests are selectively cut and dense. This environment favors FOV, brightness, and contrast.

I’ve got 10x Geovids for out west. grin.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/01/18
Your hunting grounds sound like a Doolittle Painting on steroids...😁😎
Maybe without the indians and horses. Lol.
Posted By: okie john Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/01/18
These forests are selectively cut and dense. This environment favors FOV, brightness, and contrast.

This, exactly.

Okie John
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/02/18
On a 1K budget I would give the Kowa's a good look, I recently found a bargain on a pair of Meopta Meopro 8x32's and I was not impressed at all so I promptly sent them back ...I have never handled a pair of the newer Meostar bin's so they may be the chit for all I know......Good luck....Hb
Posted By: battue Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/02/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Brad

thanks,

Okie John

^^^^^

For size, picture and weight these are excellent. Can't say I have a beater rifle, but these would qualify as my beater binoculars. During hunting season they are either around my neck or lying on the 4Runner passenger seat.
Posted By: ssphoger Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/02/18
I have a Swarovski 8x30 CL and can't think of a better bino (I have handled and used about everything out there!)
Right arround 1k
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/02/18
Have had most mentioned, I like the Meopta Meostar 8x32 the best
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/02/18
For the fun of it I wanted to try a vary power binoc.

The Leupold 7/32/X32mm's are so neat!

They go to 12X and hold steady!

Leupold 7/32X32mm Switch Power binoculars.

Posted By: SKane Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/02/18
Many good options in that price range, although some options will need to be gently used. You didn't mention if you wear eyeglasses, some of the options are right at the minimum for eye relief with glasses.

New, I'd recommend the 8x32 Meostar or Kowa Prominar without hesitation. And there are no flies on the Maven B3 8x30 either (far more budget friendly too).
The Swarovski 8x30 CL (my opinion only) is not worth the price they command - unless you want to pay a premium for poor field-of-view. *grins*

Concerning second-hand options - the Swarovski EL (pre-SV), Zeiss FL's and Leica Ultravid in 8x32 should all be right around your budget.
One note concerning the Leica 32mm - if you have deeper eye sockets, fitment might not be the best for you. I had an 8x32 and while it was, IMO, the purest view between it and the EL/FL (had all three), I could not settle in behind it without some shifting around.

Lastly, and kingston eluded to it already, the 7x42 Leica you currently have is not much taller in height than many of the 32/33mm options - lighter, yes, more compact - not by much.

Please consider hanging onto your 7x42 until after you've solidified your 8x32/33 pursuit. BTDT. laugh
Posted By: SKane Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/02/18
Originally Posted by Savage_99
For the fun of it I wanted to try a vary power binoc. I have had them all, Incl. Swarovski!

The Leupold 7/32/X32mm's are so neat!

They go to 12X and hold steady!

Leupold 7/32X32mm Switch Power binoculars.

Yeah, you had an ancient copy of Swarovski. And there's a reason the Leupold switch-power is no longer offered. wink
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/04/18
I had the Meostar 8 x 32's for awhile. While the view is pretty good, the eyecups were too small, and kept "falling" into my eye sockets, making i difficult to get a steady picture. The Zeiss Conquest HD's and Kowa's would be my favorites for around 1K.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/05/18
I love my Zeiss FL 8x32's
Posted By: Huntz Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/06/18
I have a pair of 8X32 Conquests that I really like.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/07/18
SKane,;

What's the reason? You remain on ignore for other wrong answers! LOL
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/09/18
If brightness is a requirement you will be better off with a 8x42.

With the compact and lighter 8x42's today there is no need for the 32mm IMO.

Leica Ultravid HD or HD plus models in 7x42 and 8x42.
Zeiss Victory FL in 8x42, discontinued but can find used.
Swarovski SLC HD in 8x42
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/09/18
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I love my Zeiss FL 8x32's

I agree.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/10/18
In the world of binoculars you will not go wrong with the top of the line from Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski or Kowa. It comes down to what feels the nicest in your hands and which looks best to your vision and fits your face the best.
They are all technically superior to most of our abilities to see.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/10/18
Another vote for the Leica Ultravid 8x32s. They’ve been great from the rainforest to up in the alpine for me. Some reviewers complained about FOV but I haven’t had any issues. Their lens covers are also superb for rainy days.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/10/18
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
In the world of binoculars you will not go wrong with the top of the line from Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski or Kowa. It comes down to what feels the nicest in your hands and which looks best to your vision and fits your face the best.
They are all technically superior to most of our abilities to see.

And I could never afford Zeiss when I was young and impressionable.
Posted By: WildWest Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/10/18
I have had the Zeiss binocs for ever. Lol 40 years about
Posted By: prm Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/10/18
I was talking with a PH while out hunting and he had a very worn set of Zeiss binos. He had them for years and said they'd even been back to the factory and completely refurbished once or twice (I forget...). Completely recoated, everything. I was impressed with the durability. He uses them almost everyday and said they are a PHs most important tool. While watching animals he'd describe the characteristics such as the texture of the rings at the base of a Waterbuck's horns, he looked for to age animals. I'm not a bino snob, but I was impressed and gained a greater appreciation for glass.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/10/18
Originally Posted by WildWest
I have had the Zeiss binocs for ever. Lol 40 years about

When I was a lad Zeiss was the absolute pinnacle of elegance and form...now if I want that on a rifle I find I have to source older Zeiss.

Fortunately they still make good binoculars.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/10/18

thanks,

Okie John

I'd also include the Cabelas Euro (Meopta) 8x32 HD's. They're within a hair of the Z,L,and Swaro's at a fraction of the cost. In the 32mm class glass, the SV's have no peer, but even a mint used one may stretch your budget some.
Posted By: turkish Re: Forever Binoculars - 09/10/18
Do the Conquests stack up to the competition here, as a forever bino? I could buy a pair of those now or keep saving for something more $$. They’re lacking in the warranty area, huh?
© 24hourcampfire