Home
Posted By: Hiaring8 New NF Offerings - 09/18/18
Looks like they are now offering the 3-10x SHV with Illumination and a F1 ATACR 4-16x50....

They should sell a bunch of the 3-10x42 SHV with illumination!
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: New NF Offerings - 09/18/18
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Looks like they are now offering the 3-10x SHV with Illumination and a F1 ATACR 4-16x50....

Indeed.
I do wish they had an exposed elevation turret option on the 3-10 shv. Maybe next year.
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: New NF Offerings - 09/18/18
Looking forward to getting my hands on that new ATACR when it comes out.
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: New NF Offerings - 09/18/18
Too bad they aren't offering the 4-a reticle with illuminated dot here in the US. It states "Europe only." It's simply personal preference, but I don't care for the illuminated cross of the Forceplex.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: New NF Offerings - 09/18/18

I'll be buying one as a primary hunting scope.
Posted By: aheider Re: New NF Offerings - 09/18/18
I’m a fan of the SHV line and their forceplex reticle. I just wished they offered the 4-14 in a 42mm or at least something less than 56mm.... seems huge on a hunting rifle.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
too bad there isn't a 30mm tube ATACR model. the 34mm tube is for the guys running 22" low profile dub wheels on a lifted truck. simply no need for the larger tube. no more elevation adjustment than the NXS line just added size and bulk.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18

Yes, they will & one of them will go to me. Love the ones I have & they will be better with the illumination.

MM
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Indeed.
I do wish they had an exposed elevation turret option on the 3-10 shv. Maybe next year.

I'll say "Me, too" on the turret. Leave the windage capped.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...e-30mm-tube-3-10x-42mm-illuminated-matte
Posted By: RHutch Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
too bad there isn't a 30mm tube ATACR model. the 34mm tube is for the guys running 22" low profile dub wheels on a lifted truck. simply no need for the larger tube. no more elevation adjustment than the NXS line just added size and bulk.

The current 4-16x42F1 doesn't weigh any more than the current 3-15 NXS that does have a 30mm tube.
Have you ever considered that possibly the design (short with higher power) may benefit from a larger tube?
I'm not an engineer so can't comment as to fact BUT I am smart enough to know that a quality manufacturer such as NF has proven to be, may have an edge over what we think the design should be. There are a bunch of 34mm tubes out there. Maybe there something to the prescription that benefits from it.

Toss up another useless playground scope review and regale us with your insights.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
34mm tubes are also stronger.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I wasn't aware of NF 30 mm tubes failing. its marketing, a guy that owns an optics company told me that often times they put the exact same internals into the larger tube scopes, he has even seen 1" internals put into 34 mm tube scopes. ala burris XTR. people need to stop and look at what they are getting besides weight and bulk from a 34 mm tube. I contend its nothing. its adding at least 3 ounces, limiting mounting options and adding bulk needlessly. again this is for the bigger is better crowd. 20# PRS rifles etc. I am not seeing optics companies marketing strong scopes and more robust internals with 34mm, I would think if it is indeed either scope companies would tout it.
Posted By: starsky Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
NF doesn't strike me as a gimmick-orientated company, but keeping beating the piss out of that dead horse.

I wasn't aware of NF 30 mm tubes failing. its marketing, a guy that owns an optics company told me that often times they put the exact same internals into the larger tube scopes, he has even seen 1" internals put into 34 mm tube scopes. ala burris XTR. people need to stop and look at what they are getting besides weight and bulk from a 34 mm tube. I contend its nothing. its adding at least 3 ounces, limiting mounting options and adding bulk needlessly. again this is for the bigger is better crowd. 20# PRS rifles etc. I am not seeing optics companies marketing strong scopes and more robust internals with 34mm, I would think if it is indeed either scope companies would tout it.

You get a stronger tube and potentially more erector travel. You also get more weight, bulk, cost, etc. While it's true that 34mm tubes aren't ideal for every setup or scenario, it's also true that they're not all for show, as you often claim. Just because it's possible (don't know who your "optics company owner" is...) that some companies put 1" or 30mm erectors in 34mm tubes, that doesn't mean that they all do, nor close.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
Jordan, do you compete with a 20lb PRS rifle? What is the average weight of a competition build PRS rifle? I’m referring to the guys and gals who are running and gunning from various shooting positions. Just curious. 😎
The two that I use are between 15-17 lbs, which is probably about average. The weight doesn't seem to prevent us from hitting stuff from improvised and often difficult positions. At the same time, I don't have 34mm tubed scopes on my sheep rifles...
These are hunting forums not prs forums last time I checked. Yep 34 mm is, all show some model atacr’s have less erector travel than the 30 mm nxs line. Don’t get me wrong I love nightforce but it catering to a crowd here
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
I'm curious about the illumination on the 3-10x42. NF makes (at least) 2 different types of illumination that I have/use and they are VERY different.

The first is on the NXS line and it is NOT daylight visible but can be set very low. No washout on lowest setting in darkest light. Even on the brightest setting it is hard to find in dark woods on an overcast day....it's low. It is be changed from red to green.

The second is on the NX8 and it is daylight bright...VERY bright. It's lowest setting is pushing it for low light use as it's still somewhat bright.
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'm curious about the illumination on the 3-10x42. NF makes (at least) 2 different types of illumination that I have/use and they are VERY different.

The first is on the NXS line and it is NOT daylight visible but can be set very low. No washout on lowest setting in darkest light. Even on the brightest setting it is hard to find in dark woods on an overcast day....it's low. It is be changed from red to green.

The second is on the NX8 and it is daylight bright...VERY bright. It's lowest setting is pushing it for low light use as it's still somewhat bright.

You bring up a very good point. I was actually thinking about giving one of these a try at some point, but I have no use for illumination that is overpowering in low light/moonlight conditions and have never had a need for daylight-bright illumination, either. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully these will have the darker illumination curve.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18

You were the one who mentioned the PRS crowd and rifles. I just wanted to check what you said since your posts tend to be full of inaccurate information. 😎
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
I really like the NXS style for dusk/dawn but would like it to be daylight visible on the top end to help the thinner inner plex stand out against tangled backgrounds and brush. Looking forward to trying one and seeing how they did it.

According to specs it looks like the scope did gain a little weight (22.1 oz vs 20.8 oz) with the illumination even though it lost the parallax setting.
Posted By: SKane Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by Beaver10

You were the one who mentioned the PRS crowd and rifles. I just wanted to check what you said since your posts tend to be full of inaccurate information. 😎

Not to mention a company could build CC eeeeeerrrrrrr DD (Debbie Downer) the perfect optic to suit his taste, deliver it to his doorstep – along with a 6ft-truck-bed full of cash and he'd beotch because the money wasn't stacked and counted.
Posted By: coleridge Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18

I 100% agree with this statement, but since it appears it went over like a fart in a whirlwind; I'll wish for an NXS model with ATACR glass...

What I really wish for is the 2.5-10x42 NXS size upgraded to 4-16 (or there abouts, at very least 3-12) with ATACR glass, even if they made it slightly bigger, I could live with it, even if it finished in the 25-26oz range. (illuminated 2.5-10 NXS is ~20oz)
These are hunting forums not prs forums last time I checked. Yep 34 mm is, all show some model atacr’s have less erector travel than the 30 mm nxs line. Don’t get me wrong I love nightforce but it catering to a crowd here

This is why many people here don’t take you seriously. You get these crazy ideas that are inspired by a very specific and fringe scenario, and proclaim them as universal truth. Who is this “optics company owner”, and what sort of credibility does he have when speaking of how manufacturers build scopes? You’re basing your entire claim on a “he-said, she-said” rumor.

I just looked on the Nightforce website and compared like models of NXS with ATACR, and one single model of NXS had EQUAL vertical travel with the ATACR. For every other comparison the ATACR had more vertical.

Additionally, who’s to say that an extra few ounces is a greater disadvantage than the extra tube strength and erector travel is an advantage? Just because you may think so, that doesn’t make it true for everyone, nor all hunters. Hardly a marketing gimmick.

As I said, a 34mm tube isn’t ideal for every rifle, but it definitely has its place. On a rifle set up for mainly stationary shooting with relatively little hiking, it’s great.
Posted By: pointer Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
And many of the guys commenting the opposite of you appear to have much more hunting experience than you. Though you did get that one coyote...
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by SKane
Not to mention a company could build CC eeeeeerrrrrrr DD (Debbie Downer) the perfect optic to suit his taste, deliver it to his doorstep – along with a 6ft-truck-bed full of cash and he'd beotch because the money wasn't stacked and counted.

laugh

DF
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
I’m gonna tote this all over the WY countryside in about a week
10 lbs ain’t a big deal for the return
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Impossible.

grin
Posted By: kingston Re: New NF Offerings - 09/19/18
You’re a tougher man than me. I draw the line at 9lbs. 15.71oz.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18
I can respect those rails and rings, look stout. Gotta bed a Seekins rail soon on my 30-06.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18
Originally Posted by kingston

[Linked Image]

When do we get to hear about that TT?
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18

why don't you say what is inaccurate? jordan has stated his disagreement with me,which I am good with. although he still admits 34mm isn't for everyone. This is the classic pattern here when all else fails attack the messenger and say that is inaccurate without any substance to the statement. prove me wrong and I will thank you for doing so. Look I don't need anyone's approval. I don't need to post pics of animals or whatever to prove anything to anyone. if everyone got on here an agreed about everything with no debate how useful would the forum be? not very much, I point out group think and pack mentality. when it comes to optics people seem to defend their purchase with their life. I on the other hand will admit if my scope sucks or my 40k brand new truck was a POS. I don't care, again I need no justification on my purchases. If you purchased an over weight bulky ATACR 34mm tube scope hey its your perogative. I simply point out 34mm is BS and marketing for 99% of applications, most notably hunting. the 100 MOA that a 30mm NXS tube scope has will get pretty much any worthwhile long range rig out past 1 mile.

this is a hunting forum and I assume guys come here to about hunting optics. this 30mm tube NXS seemed to get the job done in the worst possible conditions.[Linked Image]

So if the 30mm tube NXS will get you beyond a mile why do you need 34mm?
if the 30mm tube NXS will take a bullet through the freaking erector assembly and still hold zero why do you need 34mm
-if the 34mm is going to add at least 3 ounces why do you want it in a hunting scope?
if the 34mm scope has less and more expensive scope mounting optics why do you want it?
if the 34mm is more bulky why do you want it?

ok at what point is 34mm a step back and bring more negative to the table in a hunting rig?

pure and simple its a marketing ploy to keep up with the bigger is better crowd, but you can't handle the truth.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18

pure and simple its a marketing ploy to keep up with the bigger is better crowd, but you can't handle the truth.

Jesus Christ. It’s how you get high magnification, great glass, a great eyebox, good eye relief, and forgiving parallax in a 12 inch long scope.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18
Big guns in the mountains...

No hill for a climber.

DF

[Linked Image]

why don't you say what is inaccurate? jordan has stated his disagreement with me,which I am good with. although he still admits 34mm isn't for everyone. This is the classic pattern here when all else fails attack the messenger and say that is inaccurate without any substance to the statement. prove me wrong and I will thank you for doing so. Look I don't need anyone's approval.

We just try to keep you accountable, and hope that you will do all in your power to not repeat the mistake.

grin
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

It’s how you get high magnification, great glass, a great eyebox, good eye relief, and forgiving parallax in a 12 inch long scope.

You're wasting your time, as am I. Some people prefer to remain in ignorance... wink
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18
Typical PRS rig...This is a “Hunting Forum” don’tcha know. A lot to like right there. Happy it all worked out for you. 😎
My comment regarding your “Accuracy” is based on many of your past posts that show you have limited first hand-knowledge or experience doing what you post about. You routinely cite opinions like they are hard facts; they are not. Facts require more than a cursory google search, or at the very least, acknowledging your opinion is subjective and limited. 😎
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

No hill for a climber.

DF

[Linked Image]

DF, Good job on “Photo Shopping” that 7m/08 😬 Nice heavy bodied ram, too. 😎
These rifles are breeding like rabbits. 😎
Posted By: joshf303 Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18

[Linked Image]

Another Playground review would be EPIC....

Nice rigs men. Those EH1s are tits,even on a hunting rifle..... Grin.....
Posted By: SKane Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18

[Linked Image]

Yes, let's hear it. Including in-depth, brass-tacks commentary on the name and logo. whistle
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

No hill for a climber.

DF

[Linked Image]

DF, Good job on “Photo Shopping” that 7m/08 😬 Nice heavy bodied ram, too. 😎

If you didn't recognize him, that's Don Jr. with his big LR rifle on a mtn sheep hunt. Don't think I'd be packing that thing up there; looks heavy.

I guess he's a Hoss...

Reportedly he has property in upstate NY with range where he reloads and shoots. Doubt he gets up there as much as he did before his Dad became President.

Libs hate him, his hunting including Africa, killing animals. Not bad for a city boy raised in NYC.

DF
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: New NF Offerings - 09/20/18
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Walmart Special. wink
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: New NF Offerings - 09/21/18

S&B PMII 3-12x50 on my rifle weighs just under 26 ounces. 34mm scope, 13.2 mils on the erector gets the bullets from my hunting rifle way out there. Oh and it’s FFP in case you want to badmouth that also. Oh and it has a P3 reticle with another 5 mils available. Haven’t missed an animal with it yet....
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: New NF Offerings - 09/21/18
don jr had a sherpa pack that thing in there. my long range hunting rigs are at least 10#'s ie not light, but there needs to be a reality check at some point about the weights of some of these scopes we are seeing. its not uncommon to see scopes approaching 3#'s these days. I see IOR actually has a 40mm tube scope. weight,size and bulk needs to be a consideration

kimber 7, I probably would like the p3 reticle and looked at that one as one I would like in S&B. nothing wrong with mildot, I hope it makes a comeback actually, I think mildot is seem by many as too boring these days. its also usually a decent low light reticle as well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New NF Offerings - 09/21/18
don jr had a sherpa pack that thing in there.

Maybe.

That thing looks heavier than 10#'s to me. Could be a NF scope from what I can see.

My hunting bud packs a Sendero, loves that gun. I asked him why he packed such a heavy rifle, and I'm talking stalking pronghorns, etc.

His comment, " I know what it'll do when I get it there". Maybe that the way Don Jr. thinks.

Seemed to have worked for him. Sendero works for my bud.

DF
Posted By: fredIII Re: New NF Offerings - 09/23/18
[quote=cumminscowboy]too bad there isn't a 30mm tube ATACR model. the 34mm tube is for the guys running 22" low profile dub wheels on a lifted truck. simply no need for the larger tube. no more elevation adjustment than the NXS line just added size and bulk.

🐎 💩
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: New NF Offerings - 09/24/18
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Too bad they aren't offering the 4-a reticle with illuminated dot here in the US. It states "Europe only." It's simply personal preference, but I don't care for the illuminated cross of the Forceplex.

Bobby I agree 1000%! There are a few websites online that you can order this scope from that are stored based in Europe. I just haven’t had the $16-1700 available for a scope yet to do so. Maybe you should buy one, hunt with it for a while and a report on it then contact me when you’re ready to sell it! smile

Randall
© 24hourcampfire