Home
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
Considering trying a lw 8x32 bino. I regularly use 7x42's and love them but they are HEAVY...short trips and when seated I don't mind, longer hikes up the mountain still hunting they start wearing on my neck. Often use 6.5 IF's but wouldn't mind a little more umph some days.....

Tell me what you're using and what you like about them. I've never spent time with 8x32's so I've no experience with them.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
May I suggest the Leica 8x32 Trinovid HD?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
My vote.

https://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-vic...u5cft3QIVSo1-Ch2LRw7eEAQYAyABEgIg8PD_BwE

Perhaps Doug could hook you up with these as well - just couldn’t find on his website.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
It would be our pleasure to smile
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 is unbeatable IMHO in the 8x32 class of binos...
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
Leica is like Rome. All roads lead to it...
Posted By: micky Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
Doug cut me a great deal on the Less expensive Meopta 8x32. Meobrights maybe. I would recommend them. I can only imagine the upper line of Meostar.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
I've used Nikon Monarch 7 series with great luck on the small ones.
Posted By: Grady8541 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

^^^ this
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18

Bought my wifey a pair of Vortex Viper HD 8x32. I steal them a bit. Of course, the Ultravid HD will be better at 3x the coin.
Posted By: centershot Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
Originally Posted by 30338
I've used Nikon Monarch 7 series with great luck on the small ones.

Me too, don't feel undergunned at all. At $350 they are a great value.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
My wife loves her Leica 8x32's, as do everybody who is lucky enough to get to use them, but My daughter prefers her 8x32 Swarovski EL's and I prefer my 8x30 Swarovski CL's due to their compactness and lightweight. I put them on I. The morning and wear them all day.
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
I have owned a Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN set for something like 14 years now. Great glass. A couple years ago I picked up a pair of Cabelas, Meopta, 8x32 HD used and they are great glass for the $$$. Both are small, light, compact, very durable and offer great views. You would have to spend double or more to get a very small improvement in view over what these models offer.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
8x32 Meopta Meostar from Doug
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/04/18
I have been pleased with my Pentax DCF SP 8x32;good value
Posted By: 65BR Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Same for me, in the past, Pentax did a great job for me, many great options.

That said, Leica was the best to my eyes when I compared, but I would want to do compare all the latest models of Leica and Swaro, for ergonomics and optics if I wanted the best, price aside. If carrying much, I do like the 8x32 for size/weight and performance, covers a lot of ground.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
The Leica 8x32 Ultra's are my go-to glass for all western and AK hunting. If I need more, I'll bring the spotter. I do appreciate the Duovids but not their weight on backpack hunts.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Originally Posted by 338rcm

These had caught my eye. Main reason was I like the Meopta 7x42's I've been using for several years....but as mention, they are heavy. I really don't know anything about the 8x32 version aside from specs. Their FOV is impressive.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Looks like there are lot of options. Feel free to add pro's/con's on any of the suggestions. I'm about 50/50 on glasses/contacts so eye relief can matter when I'm wearing glasses. I appreciate good glass, FOV, and depth of field when still hunting.

Doug will be the first option when purchasing.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18

Weight is not an issue with the Meostar 8x32
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
I love my Swaro 8x32's. Get to a good store and try them all side by side if you can.
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
I like my Swarovision 8x32s

But 3 pages without a mention must mean they lack some love.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18

I will 3rd this.
The Leica Ultravid 8X32 HD is stunning, and built like a tank.
I have the 8X42, but if I ever buy again, it will be these.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
I have a pair of Swarovski 8x32 EL and a pair of Leica 8x32 Ultravid, both non HD. If I had to choose, it'd be the Leica.......
Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Leica...
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18

I have owned all the Alpha glass at one time or another and started as most do with 10X40 in both Leitz and Zeiss Classics. When Swarovski came out with the EL, I bought the 10X42. At a FNAWS banquet I looked through the 8.5X42 and bought those. Next came the Leica Ultra Vids and I bought them but went back to Swarovski EL. Then Swarovski introduced the Swarovision, so I got those. Next were Swarovski Rangefinding EL in 8X. Then I went to the 10X. The next purchase was the Leica 10X Geovid HD-B after 2 years I went back to the Swarovision EL rangefinder. Then in search of a smaller pair I tried Swarovski 8X32 EL. Then I upgraded to the 8X32 Swarovision. Leica then introduced their 8X32 in HD+ so I bought those. Then I switched back to the Swarovski EL Swarovision and that is what I use today.

All that said, I have literally spent 10’s of thousand$ on this stuff and used them in the field, not looking at bars on the wall at Cabelas and consider the Swarovski 8X32 the best due to those circumstances. I would also say that other than the Rangefinding binoculars, Leica puts the same image in a smaller package than Swarovski, but for ease of use I always came back to Swarovski...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
I'd think an 8x32 would make great saddle bag glass?

Posted By: Brad Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
And BTW if you’re patient, the 8x32 Noctivid should appear this coming year. Hopefully.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Originally Posted by Brad
And BTW if you’re patient, the 8x32 Noctivid should appear this coming year. Hopefully.

Those would be awesome...I was looking at the 8x42 version but maybe I should hold off. I suppose there isn’t any confirmation out there that they will be coming out?
Posted By: evans1010 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Cabela's Euro HD! They are what dreams are made of to me in the field.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
I really like my Leupold BX3 Mojave 8x32's. They are nice and light (17 oz's) and the glass is excellent.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I regularly use 7x42's and love them but they are HEAVY...short trips and when seated I don't mind, longer hikes up the mountain still hunting they start wearing on my neck.

Have you considered a better way to carry the binoculars that you already have and love, instead of trying for a slightly lighter set? A set of 8x32, around your neck, isn't going to be comfortable either. But if you want an excuse for new optics, that is understandable.
Appreciate the feedback and information from all.

Originally Posted by 4th_point
I regularly use 7x42's and love them but they are HEAVY...short trips and when seated I don't mind, longer hikes up the mountain still hunting they start wearing on my neck.

Have you considered a better way to carry the binoculars that you already have and love, instead of trying for a slightly lighter set? A set of 8x32, around your neck, isn't going to be comfortable either. But if you want an excuse for new optics, that is understandable.

I'd prefer not to purchase right now. Regarding carry style, I'm sure that one of the nice bino bra's would help. I hate to lose my ability to use my HPG bag but it might be worth it. I saw someone make mention of using the HPG bag to hold the bino's and I need to give that a try. In the end, the 7x42's I use now are ~32 oz's....the 8x32 Meostar's are ~21 oz's and much smaller.
Posted By: Ready Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Steiner Nighthunter 8x32 all the way. Thank me later ;-)
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
The bino bras do help but I've learned to hate wearing the fugging things, so I don't any longer.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I really like my Leupold BX3 Mojave 8x32's. They are nice and light (17 oz's) and the glass is excellent.

I bought a pair of the bx4 Pro Guides in 8x32 and am really impressed. I use them allot more than I thought I would. They're a solid pick in that price bracket
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The bino bras do help but I've learned to hate wearing the fugging things, so I don't any longer.

The Rick Young harness is simple, easy to use and versatile, and so comfortable I barely know I'm carrying binos.
Originally Posted by Wrapids

The Rick Young harness is simple, easy to use and versatile, and so comfortable I barely know I'm carrying binos.

Never heard of it until now.... Looks like a winner. I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks!

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18

How do they work under a jacket? I've also found the side to side sucks with many.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18

How do they work under a jacket? I've also found the side to side sucks with many.

I've used the harness under a jacket and find it works quite well, though I might use the pushbutton stop to adjust a bit, but very easy to do - no buckles or such to mess with.
Posted By: SKane Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/05/18

I'm right there with you.
The RYO product is the bee's knees – easy adjustment, multiple carry options and quick on-off for swapping layers etc.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
Thanks gents.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
I have swaro 10x32 EL. and have looked at the 8x32.
Both are very good
Posted By: waterrat Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
May I suggest the Leica 8x32 Trinovid HD?

The Best Out There,,IMHO,,,
Or should I say my favorite!
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
I'm po. I like my Leo Yosemite's. They show me the deer in front of me.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
I'd prefer not to purchase right now. Regarding carry style, I'm sure that one of the nice bino bra's would help. I hate to lose my ability to use my HPG bag but it might be worth it. I saw someone make mention of using the HPG bag to hold the bino's and I need to give that a try. In the end, the 7x42's I use now are ~32 oz's....the 8x32 Meostar's are ~21 oz's and much smaller.

I hear what you're saying. I used the HPG chest purse for the first time this archery season and loved it, but only had my LRF in there and no binos. A 21 ounce bino around the neck would suck, but I don't know if the chest purse is the right solution.

Never used the RYO boob straps, but spent some time talking to the DIL at a hunting show about them.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
How are you guys who use the Rick Young Harness keeping the dangly bits of the harness on your back from snagging on stuff? Cutting it off and keeping the harness at one length? I bought one several years ago off of recommendations here, and after the excess cordage became ensnared in brush and what not for about the twentieth time, I tossed the harness, deciding it was the binocular version of a butt out tool.
Posted By: tomk Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
Leica or Swaro. The new issue Swaros have improved over the original EL. Try both, if you can, I could live with either. Both top of the line.

The RY harness looks like the ticket. Thinking would cut some get a couple of them & cut the excess off one for fall & one for winter. Maybe. I like the way he secured them with the strap over the objective. That is an issue with the Crooked Horn flipping up the bino. One thing is for certain--I don't wear a bino strap around my neck...sheit can happen on inclines...
Posted By: horse1 Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
Originally Posted by 338rcm

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Looks like there are lot of options. Feel free to add pro's/con's on any of the suggestions. I'm about 50/50 on glasses/contacts so eye relief can matter when I'm wearing glasses. I appreciate good glass, FOV, and depth of field when still hunting.

I have the pre-HD and HD models of 8x32 Meostars. Both can easily be used with glasses and give a full FOV with the eye-cups spun down.

On-board LRF has become a crutch to me so I don't have the experience with L/Z/S pure binocs to give an accurate representation about how the Meopta's stack up optically.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18

Until something comes along that makes these look like they are broken I shall be staying with them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
I'm with JStuart, Zeiss 8 x 32 FL's. The Kowa 8 x 33 Prominars are really nice too.
Posted By: TWR Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/06/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
How are you guys who use the Rick Young Harness keeping the dangly bits of the harness on your back from snagging on stuff? Cutting it off and keeping the harness at one length? I bought one several years ago off of recommendations here, and after the excess cordage became ensnared in brush and what not for about the twentieth time, I tossed the harness, deciding it was the binocular version of a butt out tool.

I ordered one even with that reservation in mind. I'm thinking separating the loose end would cure thing hanging issue.
Posted By: SKane Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/07/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

*SMFH* JeffO with a Nosler box?
Tuck it beneath either side of left/right shock chord at back if it's getting in the way.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/07/18
I found the best solution was to just use a bino harness that doesn’t have a bunch of dangly [bleep] hanging off of the back. FHF Harness for the win.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/07/18
Interesting the turns the discussion takes.

At the price I couldn't help but try the Rick Young. It also looked like the best option that could be used with the HPG bag that I'm a fan of. Should be here soon and ML opens next weekend so it will get a go.

Back to the 8x32's......so many recommendations. Suggestions on 8x32's that are no good?.
Posted By: TWR Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/10/18
Got the RYO strap in today and I think they will work fine with my HPG kit bag. My 8x30 Swaro's ride on top of the bag or I can since the bag up and bino's will ride below the bag.
Posted By: Chainsaw Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/10/18
Being on a budget I was lead to the Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 Binos model number SIIBL832 . I am happy with this purchase and use these binos for everything I hunt.
Lotsa better binos out there, but for the money I spent they are good to go for me.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/10/18

I have the 8x32 Ultravid HD for the reasons you said. Light weight, compact, and crazy good optics. I am lucky to have a choice of alpha glass, and the 8x32 are my go to.
I had Swaovski 8x30 SLC, and these are much better in my opinion.
Posted By: skeen Re: Favorite 8x32's? - 10/12/18
Nikon Premier 8x32. Nikon binos don't get much attention on hunting forums, but always get good reviews on birding forums. I've had Leica, Swaro, Vortex, Steiner, Minox and others but always come back to the Nikons.

Oh, yeah, and always with the Rick Young Outdoors bino harness. wink
© 24hourcampfire