Home
Posted By: StoneCold Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/17/18

Well, I managed to break my 6X Classic SS rear parallax. I was on a steep grassy, rocky slope - you know, Colorado! I dropped my rifle from about chest high as I fell. Rather than eat rocks I just kinda tossed the rifle to the side. It must have landed near the very rear of the ocular. Being such a long ocular tube it must have acted like a lever on the scope.

The scope “separated” between the ocular and the parallax adjustment ring. It appeared to be a threaded section. It actually surprised me it broke. After watching BigStick’s video of him throwing a rifle with one. Then doing “impact” prone and making a 900 yard shot. My “impact prone” seemed mild by comparison. However, my rifle was heavier by a good bit. A factory Howa hogue in 6.5 creed...

I bent the ocular back up a bit and could see through the scope. So, of course, I found a place and fired a shot to see if it was close.....nope, not even. The optical path was obviously buggered.

On the bright side, I contacted SWFA and they said “send it in for warranty”. So it’s on the way to TX!

SC

(I have pics, but I can’t figure out how to post any - and yes, I’ve tried)
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/17/18
Damn! That sucks. I really like to deal with SWFA. They have been super with me, on ordering and warranty. I would not expect them to warranty something that was my fault, but that is super that they are doing it. Keep us posted on what they do.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/17/18
Jeebus that wouldn't happen on a couch!
Posted By: StoneCold Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/17/18
I really didn’t know if SWFA would or wouldn’t. I figured I’d just ask if they could offer assistance. They said send it in under warranty. If they change their mind when they see it, it will still be fine. As long as “repair” isn’t as much as new - I’ll gladly pay.

Or, I’ll add a new one n Black Friday....

SC
Great report. Let us know how they treat you. Of course, I see where they would likely not repair it, since it's not a "warranty" issue. But if they do, that would be very cool of them. When I read your OP, I thought to myself, "how many scopes would have failed that test?".. Probably quite a few. I'm new to SWFA SS scopes, but from what I've seen as far as tracking and function, they are damn good. I don't think I've had a better tracking scope. Keep us posted...
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/17/18
My bet is they will send you a new one. Did you have a backup?
Posted By: StoneCold Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
No worries for me....Backups are always part of the plan.

I have 4 of their scopes now. Will probably be adding more. Trying to find anything that can compete in the price range is impossible. Lol..

SC
Posted By: berryns Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Ouch! Any pictures?
Posted By: kingston Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Jeebus that wouldn't happen on a couch!

LMFAO!!!!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Curious about the scope mounts you have on the gun?

Sounds like you are in good shape with a repair.
[Linked Image]

Using the SWFA rings....
[Linked Image]

Hope these are working....
Posted By: Higginez Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
I bet that sucker still tracks better than a Leupold...

Awesome pics by the way.
Posted By: Judman Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by Higbean

Awesome pics by the way.

Oh for sure!!!!
Posted By: Judman Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Does he need crutches or a high chair???
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Brutal! I am slowly phasing out my leupolds for swfa. Just wish they were silver but that is a personal preference
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
A Leupold most likely would not have broken.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by Borchardt
A Leupold most likely would not have broken.

Laffin.....
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by StoneCold
[Linked Image]

Hope these are working....

I have been using the swfa rings that come in the Black Friday deal. They are great, in my opinion. I have tried a couple different scopes, lately, but still just prefer the swfa 10x fixed over variables. Debating on whether to pick up another one this BF!
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
I've done that many times with several Leupolds. Never broke one. Never had to rezero one either. In all fairness, I've seen an old B&L Balvar 8, dropped on the ocular from head height on to a hard floor. The glass scope cap was shattered. But the scope and the zero, which were in the mounts, were fine. The other thing is most of my Leupolds were 4X and 6X42's. But two were variables. One was an older 3-9X33 Compact, and the other was a newer 1.5-4X VX2 Scout. BTW. I've redailed both my FX3, 6X42, and my 1.5-4X Scout many times for different loads or distances out to 300 yds. and never had either fail to move and hold zero as they should. No, I don't spin them to extreme ends of their adjustment range, but I don't need a tactical scope, just a good reliable hunting scope. E
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by Judman
Does he need crutches or a high chair???

LMFAO! Never forget when I was about 8 years old lugging the old man's 742 carbine with a widefield 3-9 up a steep ass grade. He said, you might slip and go down, that gun cost me a couple weeks wages so if you hit the ground and something gets [bleep] up it better be you and not that rifle. The times I fell, I knew I better be bleeding good if the gun was damaged.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/18/18
[Linked Image]

Using the SWFA rings....

There's the problem - the scope rings were not the "Break Away" type smile

Maybe need to replace with an old El Paso Weaver Steel tube scope - j/k
Originally Posted by Higbean

Awesome pics by the way.

Ha ha. Probably does..
Proper ring lapping would have prevented that.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/19/18
If it was a Leupold mounted in Talley lightweights it would have torn a chunk out of the rifle!
Posted By: doubletap Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/19/18
[Linked Image]

Using the SWFA rings....

Looks like the perfect setup for shooting over the crest of a hill without showing yourself.
Posted By: Grady8541 Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

How exactly would that have prevented this "failure"?
Are the screws torqued to spec?
Posted By: SKane Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

laugh laugh
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/19/18
Must be a counterfeit SWFA. Everyone knows they are indestructible no matter what. They don't even have or need a repair department.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/19/18
Originally Posted by doubletap
[Linked Image]

Using the SWFA rings....

Looks like the perfect setup for shooting over the crest of a hill without showing yourself.

Makes stock pads obsolete.....
Posted By: StoneCold Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/21/18
Well, the brown truck arrived today. On it was a NIB replacement scope. I mailed it off last Tuesday, a new one at my door by the next Wednesday !! BAM!! Fast turnaround....

All I can say is that is great for them to do. If they wanted more of my business in the future, They Have It !!!

Love all the comments as well. The humor around here is never lacking...

SC
Posted By: 30338 Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Must be a counterfeit SWFA. Everyone knows they are indestructible no matter what. They don't even have or need a repair department.

Seeing as how they sent a new scope for one that was damaged by accident, it would appear you are correct. No need for the expense or head ache trying to fix the very few that come back. Just send a new one.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Broke my SWFA 6X..... - 11/22/18
Good service by SWFA.

Same thing happened to me with a Leupold and they told me to buy another one.
My pal broke a Leupold just as pictured, they repaired it at no cost...
© 24hourcampfire