Home
What to get?

Another FFP 3-9 Mil/Mil, the 3-15 FFP Mil/Mil, the 1-6 HD, or more 6x MQ fixed?

Or?

What are you scooping up?

https://www.swfa.com/blackfriday2018
Just mounted the 3-9 W MQ on my Tikka yesterday. It was a gift from my former co-workers who I still shoot with. We will be out in the boonies at 1st light to zero and bang steel all day. I went on Shooters and have range card ready and will confirm out to 600 tomorrow.

mike r
Originally Posted by David_Walter
What to get?

Another FFP 3-9 Mil/Mil, the 3-15 FFP Mil/Mil, the 1-6 HD, or more 6x MQ fixed?

Or?

What are you scooping up?

https://www.swfa.com/blackfriday2018

I'm scoping a new Bergara Ridge in 6.5 Creedmoor that I've dropped into a Grayboe Terrain.

I'm considering the SWFA SS 3-15. How is the glass? What does it compare to?

Other consideration is a 3-12 LRHS or LRTS. I have one LRHS, but fairly limited experience with it. Based on what I have read, I think the SWFA 3-15 is a safer bet with regard to tracking accuracy and repeatability, but not sure how much optical quality difference there is in the glass.

Originally Posted by drano 25

I'm considering the 3-15. How is the glass? What does it compare to?

Other consideration is a 3-12 LRHS or LRTS. I have one LRHS, but fairly limited experience with it. Based on what I have read, I think the SWFA 3-15 is a safer bet with regard to tracking accuracy and repeatability, but not sure how much optical quality difference there is in the glass.

I have both. Half dozen in one six in another to me. I don't believe you'll have any tracking issues with the LRHS. For stricly hunting I prefer the LRHS G2 reticle. Dollar for dollar, the SS 3-15 at $499 for the win for me.

But, you know, that's just my opinion.

I think I'm going to try a SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 for my TacSol X-Ring rifle.
Originally Posted by skeen

I have both. Half dozen in one six in another to me. I don't believe you'll have any tracking issues with the LRHS. For stricly hunting I prefer the LRHS G2 reticle. Dollar for dollar, the SS 3-15 at $499 for the win for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

So no issues with optical quality on the 3-15?

I like the idea of the 2.5-10x32, just not sure i can make the short eye relief on anything i have.
10x SS Classic............maybe.

6x SS Classic ...........maybe.

Both Milquad
The sale is on now.
Actually, I think tomorrow.
I just ordered a scope before posting so if you want to wait, go ahead.
Good info. I’ll order soon.

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the idea of the 2.5-10x32, just not sure i can make the short eye relief on anything i have.

I just sold a 3-15, I didn’t like it as much as I liked the SS 3-9 it replaced. I had a hard time “getting behind it”, the image wasn’t as good (IMO), and my brass kept hitting that big windage knob! Just ordered another 3-9...
Originally Posted by timl

Thanks for the feedback.

I just sold a 3-15, I didn’t like it as much as I liked the SS 3-9 it replaced. I had a hard time “getting behind it”, the image wasn’t as good (IMO), and my brass kept hitting that big windage knob! Just ordered another 3-9...

Appreciate the info. I want more magnification, that's the only reason for not going with the 3-9. Maybe i should give it a shot....
The 3-15 I had was the older SFP version with the mil-quad dm reticle, so maybe that had something to do with me not liking it as much. Something to consider...if you buy it at the Black Friday price and decide to sell it later you won't lose much money.
I have been considering this scope but it is the 30mm tube and I normally use the 1" tubes. I decided to try the twists which is why I am considering this but if bought I will have to get the 30mm tube and then buy the 30mm rings rings. But they say it comes with the rings? Anyone know that for sure?
The fixed powers come with rings I believe.
For those of you who know this what ring height do you pick for a 30mm tube. This will be my first Tactical so what is the difference between the 1/4MOA and 1/10MOA? Just a paper puncher here.

I am looking at the SWFA SS 12X42
SS 10x42

and maybe the side focus scopes like 3-15X42 Tactical scope

Obviously I can buy the $250ish scopes and I can get two of them compared to one of the 3-15X42 so I have to decide what I need.

So again what ring height should I get for these 30mm scopes?
Originally Posted by valad
I have been considering this scope but it is the 30mm tube and I normally use the 1" tubes. I decided to try the twists which is why I am considering this but if bought I will have to get the 30mm tube and then buy the 30mm rings rings. But they say it comes with the rings? Anyone know that for sure?

It says right in the BF ad. The fixed powers come with rings.
Originally Posted by valad
For those of you who know this what ring height do you pick for a 30mm tube. This will be my first Tactical so what is the difference between the 1/4MOA and 1/10MOA? Just a paper puncher here.

I am looking at the SWFA SS 12X42
SS 10x42

and maybe the side focus scopes like 3-15X42 Tactical scope

Obviously I can buy the $250ish scopes and I can get two of them compared to one of the 3-15X42 so I have to decide what I need.

So again what ring height should I get for these 30mm scopes?

No higher than a Low ring, IMO
I love the 3-15 power range, but if I buy a SWFA variable its going to be a 3x9, the reticles IMO don't seem to work quite right FFP or SFP in the 3-15 models. at least that was my observations when I looked at all of them at their place in texas. shoot at a range mostly on max power, ignore what I am saying.
Gonna grab a 10x package.
For those looking at the fixed power SS with the package of rings, sunshade, bubble level and easy loader.......only $259.95

Be aware that the crosshairs on the MOA versions have a dot at the intersection while the Mil/Mil versions have a normal crosshair. Hard to see unless you magnify the view.

I own an older SFP 3-15 x 42 which has the dot. It is useful for target shooting at 100-200 yds as the dot will center nicely in the small bright orange sticky targets.

For this sale I am considering the SS 12X package. Haven't decided on MOA or Mil.

Montana Marine had good things to say about the 12X Mil/Mil:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8587180/Re_SWFA_12x42_MRAD_Review
Order placed for the 3-15x42. Looking forward to trying it out.
Which ring height works with 700 short action 308?
GreggH
I ordered a 2.5x10x32. Might make a nice scope to keep the weight down on a 6.5. We’ll see.
Low
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by prm
I ordered a 2.5x10x32. Might make a nice scope to keep the weight down on a 6.5. We’ll see.

Please give us a report....
The ultralight eye relief is not very good or I’d try one. I know they’re sad about it.
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by prm

Please give us a report....

Mine from the Veterans Day sale is stuck in UPS sure post purgatory.

About the only thing “sure” about that crap is that you surely won’t get it in any sort of timely fashion!
I ordered a 3-9 yesterday, just got an email saying it shipped today...
Ordered the SS classic Fixed 12x with low rings and Mil/Mil... Going to be alot over scope moving and testing this winter between my 2 old Nikon, 3 vortex, the 2 athlons I just picked up from Cameralandny and this SS. If i came up with an old fixed power m8 for my SxS '06 i'ld be set.
I have always put the medium rings on my rifles, with the swfa fixed scopes. It looks like the lows would be fine, but to me, it is easier to get behind a scope that is a bit higher. I just ordered another 10x to add to the two that I already have. They have even sweetened the add-on deal a bit. They have always shipped quickly and I have had great luck with their customer service. I will continue to support swfa.
i've got a 12x moa coming.....Ed
I personally like the 2.5-10x32 UL. I bought a few and mounted one on a 6x45. I'll probably mount the other one on a Rem 700 25-204. Both very light kickers.

Clicks are very positive. Glass seems good in the evening. The reticle looks similar to a Leupold standard duplex to me. I like it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I personally like the 2.5-10x32 UL. I bought a few and mounted one on a 6x45. I'll probably mount the other one on a Rem 700 25-204. Both very light kickers.

Clicks are very positive. Glass seems good in the evening. The reticle looks similar to a Leupold standard duplex to me. I like it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Trigger time yet? Details? Thanks....
What’s the 2.5-10 UL offer that the Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope doesn’t?
What’s the 2.5-10 UL offer that the Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope doesn’t?

Less weight, less $ to aquire, less objective diameter, less eye relief, and hopefully, less chance for failure.
grin
I got a 6x Mil Quad coming........LOW rings (yeah right, they are higher than most companies mediums)

May end up with a 10x mil quad before the weekend closes.

Too many damn good deals and not enough fun money to go around..........decisions, decisions.
I’m thinking the 10x milquad might be a good scope to put on my future 17HMR....
I ordered a 3-9 yesterday, just got an email saying it shipped today...

Same, but I went with the 6x mq.

Reading info here I feel confident to utilize a mil/mil scope now.
6X MQ and Lows on the way. My first foray into turret twisting.

Just thought I'd try a few. I've had my share of Leupolds. Liquidating quite a few Leupolds lately. Hopefully, these live up to what SWFA has been offering lately. I love the 6x42's and 3-9x42's. But they're heavy.
I did pick up a 3-9x42 on AR15.com this afternoon for cheap. I'm penalized in Texas with paying sales tax on SWFA's. Makes it difficult.
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by 257heaven

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Trigger time yet? Details? Thanks....

Not many chances lately.
Ordered a 2.5-10X32 ultralight to mount on a tikka ss 223 Superlight 8 twist. 😁

Trystan
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
6X MQ and Lows on the way. My first foray into turret twisting.

You will like it. I have two that have been good. I have gone to the 10x, as my eyes need a bit more magnification. I have killed deer from close, out to 430 yards with the 10x without problems. The 6xs are riding on a 308 and 7 mag and perform well. I shot an elk at 346 yards a couple years ago, with the 7 mag.
I really wanted another 10x HD but they haven't been available in a while so I got another 3-9 on the way.
Asking someone else what height scope rings you should use is like asking someone else what size shoes they prefer that you buy.
I placed my order for the 3-15.42 about 8:30 Friday morning. It was on my front porch when I got home from work today. Impressive.
For a lightweight long range build, strictly hunting (under 500 yards) other than practice. Would a swfa 3-9 be ok?
Yes, it would be ok, but it won’t be lightweight. That’s my dilemma with them and the SHV. For me, if I can’t find lighter scopes that seem durable the weight it is and I’ll live with it.
I just bought another 3-9 for a 18” Fieldcraft. They are just hard to beat for the money.
I have a 3-9 on a Kimber Montana and it works out just fine.
What's the optical clarity compared to the old zeiss conquest 3-9x40? Which I love and have a few of.
Another 3-9 on the way for a yet unseen Tikka t1x. I guess I need to thank Tikka for not rushing me on a scope purchase.
I ended up with another 6xMQ, an still pondering another 3-9.
I have a 12x Mil-Mil on the way far a 6.5 Grendel I'll be putting together shortly.
Got mine in the mail yesterday (12x), really like the reticle. It'll be awhile before I get to test the Mil/Mil part out, but I suspect I'll like it. Turret clicks do seem a little on the soft side, but enough to count them without a problem.

My 2 Athlon Midas 2.5x15x50 came in the mail today from cameraland. They seem to be more than I expected, Seem really nice and time will tell the whole story there.
I broke under peer pressure...AND...a deal I couldn't pass up. I bought the SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD Illuminated Mil-Quad, FFP, .1 MRAD, Side Focus NEW for $1124.96. I've seen used ones for that price move and move quickly. I can't be scope snob anymore.
I have the swfa 3-9 and 3-15. Plus a 10 And have been eying the 5 - 20 Hd now

Any feedback on the swfa 5-20 hd vs the Nf shv ?
Picked up another 6X mil-quad.
Which for a Tikka 260 for hunting, the 6X or the 3-9? I think I like that the reticle would be bolder in the 3-9 at magnification higher than 6X, but having never looked through one I'm not sure if the difference is enough to warrant the cost.
Originally Posted by pointer
Which for a Tikka 260 for hunting, the 6X or the 3-9? I think I like that the reticle would be bolder in the 3-9 at magnification higher than 6X, but having never looked through one I'm not sure if the difference is enough to warrant the cost.

As I have said, I have both the 6x and 10x. I love the 10x for a bit more magnification. I have shot deer at last light with both and up close with the 10x. I have no experience with the 3x9, but if you prefer variables, it sure has a lot of good feedback for it. No bad choice. Unless all of your shooting is under 100 yards, I, personally would always buy the 10x.
Just got my first 3-9 in the mail today. Will see how it stacks up against the 6 and 10x versions.

Was going to order a second but I see they’re on backorder now...I’m assuming you’ll still get the BF price if you backorder one?
Originally Posted by Holston
Was going to order a second but I see they’re on backorder now...I’m assuming you’ll still get the BF price if you backorder one?

In years past, the price was based on when you ordered the item from SWFA.

So, yes, it should be the black Friday price.

I had a problem with my brass hitting the big windage knob on one of the 3-15’s which are the same size as the fixed version. That convinced me to go back to the 3-9. It was mounted on a CTR in low Mountain Tech (Warne) rings.
have one on a Montana 223 and just received one that will go on a Remington 700 5R 223 . Good pieces of machinery in my opinion, coyotes don't really appreciate them much though.
I am trying so hard not to buy a 6X
I have looked at them the last couple years and with all the Fire talk they must be dam good

Today is it
Hank
Buy it.

It's my top pick and universally useful.
Originally Posted by boatboy
I have looked at them the last couple years and with all the Fire talk they must be dam good

Today is it
Hank

Do it! I bought a 6MQ last year and a 10MQ this time. Put the 10 on my deck coyote gun. Jury is still out on it. The 6 went on a .22 for now. You won't believe how nice it is to make an adjustment and actually get exactly what you wanted.

I had a problem with my brass hitting the big windage knob on one of the 3-15’s which are the same size as the fixed version. That convinced me to go back to the 3-9. It was mounted on a CTR in low Mountain Tech (Warne) rings.
A spin through old posts here showed this to be an issue. I have a 3-9 en route and Sportsmatch rings. Hope that I don't have the turret/brass issue.
Buy it.

I resisted, but finally broke down and ordered a 6x MQ and a 3-9x MQ last night. I think the 6x will replace the 1-4x on my 308; the 1-4x is good too but not quite what I want on a 10 lb 308. It'll probably show up in the classifieds here in a couple weeks...
I think the 3-9 will be a winner. No doubt my eyes prefer the thicker reticle in the woods.

That’s my only complaint on the 6x, and it was only a slight annoyance right at first or last light.
Originally Posted by Yondering
Buy it.

I resisted, but finally broke down and ordered a 6x MQ and a 3-9x MQ last night. I think the 6x will replace the 1-4x on my 308; the 1-4x is good too but not quite what I want on a 10 lb 308. It'll probably show up in the classifieds here in a couple weeks...

I have a 6x on a Ruger American .308. It has been great. The rifle is so accurate, I am afraid to change scopes!

A spin through old posts here showed this to be an issue. I have a 3-9 en route and Sportsmatch rings. Hope that I don't have the turret/brass issue.

I read that too, and forgot about it. The good news is, I just got back from the range with the newly purchased 3-9 mounted on the same gun with the same rings as before...no problems.
I was finally led to water. I finally got rid of my [bleep] rigging, and started from the start. I got rid of my old leupold and bought one of those fixed fuggers (ala super chicken). Well the couch ain't grabbin my ka chunt any longer. I put one on my PLC (pistol length cartridge) rifle for use in the limited firearm zone in MI. Dam if that thing doesn't connect the dots. Turn those nobs and the big ole punkin ball goes right where its supposed to. Now my rifle is a goat fuqk in any other part of the country, but it is about as good as it gets in the limited idiot zone of MI.

Amen, buy one and you will be led water.

PS I am learning to cipher to.
Dude.

Good grief...
I
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

Today is it
Hank

Do it! I bought a 6MQ last year and a 10MQ this time. Put the 10 on my deck coyote gun. Jury is still out on it. The 6 went on a .22 for now. You won't believe how nice it is to make an adjustment and actually get exactly what you wanted.

Of course I did
I have a 6.5 Grendel upper and I think I may take off my 4 to 14 Burris and just put the 6x on it. Thoughts?

Like a previous poster I hunt limited rifle area of Michigan bet it would do well on my 450 bushmaster upper

Hank
I
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

Today is it
Hank

Of course I did
I have a 6.5 Grendel upper and I think I may take off my 4 to 14 Burris and just put the 6x on it. Thoughts?

Like a previous poster I hunt limited rifle area of Michigan bet it would do well on my 450 bushmaster upper

Hank

The fixed 6 SS IMO is hands down the best 0-700 yd scope for $1000 or less that money can buy. I've run 10s, 12, 16 and 20. Im looking forward to trying the new SS Superlight on a 223 tikka in 3 or 4 days when it shows up. Will likely run it on 4 power as shots will all be at 300 yds or less on whitetail deer and eye relief should be around 3" on 4 power. 3" on a 223 is plenty

Trystan
I have seen people rave about these for quite a few years also the Leupold 6x is a crowd favorite

So its it just better because less BS in the tube? Why do the fix power scope seem to be so liked?
My first rifle when I was a kid Rem 700 30-06 with 4x weaver could not wait to step up to a 3x 9x variable

Hank
Well after some time reading on this site and hearing people rave about these super chickens I broke down and ordered a fixed 6. I am fully expecting to never miss another shot, be able to walk on water, and laugh at any shot inside of a half mile.

In all seriousness though I am kind of excited to try it.
Well beaudry, in lite of all the nonsense i posted above, I have really been led to water. I hate to say it but Big Twat has some points to be made that are true, and I have learned alot from him. Thanks big twat. Regardless, buy one and get to know it and you will be led to water.
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
Well beaudry, in lite of all the nonsense i posted above, I have really been led to water. I hate to say it but Big Twat has some points to be made that are true, and I have learned alot from him. Thanks big twat. Regardless, buy one and get to know it and you will be led to water.

I actually heard a story of a hunter that got turned around and lost and 3 days later died from dehydration! Not so with a fixed 6 SS........all you have to do is look thru the scope than walk in the general direction it pointed and instant water!! Thats a true story and I read it on the internet😄

Trystan
Originally Posted by Trystan
Thats a true story and I read it on the internet😄

Hate to break it to you man..... but not everything you read on the internet is true. I read a story about “more 1/2 MOA groups at 500 yards than I can count” on the internet once, dude was gonna post a video and everything. It turned out to be total Bullschitt....
Originally Posted by Lungpuncher1
What's the optical clarity compared to the old zeiss conquest 3-9x40? Which I love and have a few of.

The Conquest 3x9's were very bright and clear to me but had horrible parallax shift and of course it's non-adjustable like the SWFA 3x9. And the lack of parallax adjustment on the 3x9 is why I see no advantage over the 6X or 10X and it's marketed as a "tactical" scope.
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by Lungpuncher1

The Conquest 3x9's were very bright and clear to me but had horrible parallax shift and of course it's non-adjustable like the SWFA 3x9. And the lack of parallax adjustment on the 3x9 is why I see no advantage over the 6X or 10X and it's marketed as a "tactical" scope.

The 3-9 SWFA is shorter, more compact than the fixed 6's, the adjustments firmer. The turrets are slightly smaller, the glass is a little better.

David
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Hate to break it to you man..... but not everything you read on the internet is true. I read a story about “more 1/2 MOA groups at 500 yards than I can count” on the internet once, dude was gonna post a video and everything. It turned out to be total Bullschitt....

Troof!

Good smackdown
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Troof!

Good smackdown

TFF
© 24hourcampfire