Home
I'm currently sitting on six or seven pairs on what i call, budget friendly binoculars. I've used them all in the field and for one reason or another, not impressed with any of them. Manufacturers run from Nikon, Redfield, Alpen, Vortex, Minox, and Brunton. Price ranges have been anywhere from $100-$250, some new and some used. I'm thinking it's time for me top unload all of them and put the funds to the purchase of one pair in will be pleased with and keep for a while. My situation requires a minimum of 12x, even thought these old eyes might prefer 15x, and would really like to have an objective of no less than 50mm due to a combination of use out of a ground blind and the majority of deer movement being early and late in low light conditions. I'm figuring if i can sell off all of them, might put me in the $700-$900 budget range. Suggestions always appreciated.
1st things 1st. If you are looking at 12x or 15x binoculars then also figure tripod mounting them. If not then you will be very unhappy.

You can get,
Steiner HX 15x56
or the Meopta MeoStar B1 12x50 HD Binoculars in top quality optics. It would be my pleasure to discuss options with you if you have a few minutes to give a call.
Doug
Absolutely don't won't to go the tripod mount way, so i might just stick with the 12 x. If i get a chance, i'll give you a ring later today. Interested in any trades, lol ?
If you do not want to tripod mount then I suggest you do not go over 10x.
I'm in till 6 today. We can discuss trades, of course
Go 6x or 8x and be done with it. Clarity and brightness will beat X’s, but that’s just my opinion.
In my opinion, budget glass is never a bargain. For all the money spent on multiple budget friendly optics, good glass that lasts for years can be had. I’m guilty of that as well, but no more. 10x binoculars are shaky enough and 8x is about right for field use. Happy Trails
Go buy a pair of Leica or Swaros and quit piddling around. Pay the money and enjoy the glass.
If you are patient, and willing to dig around, you can find good deals on great glass. Last year I managed to pick up a late model, pre-swarovision version of the 8.5x42mm EL's for only $900. Probably one of the best purchases of my hunting career to date.

Sell the binos you have and start watching the classifieds or even post a WTB ad outlining what you want and what your budget is. You might be surprised at some of the offers you get.

Doug is great to deal with and I am sure he can put you into an upgrade over what you have for a reasonable price.

Also, check out a 10x42 model from Tract. It's in the budget you mention and the folks here that have them are all generally very pleased.
The thing is that really good glass shows more at lower magnification than lesser glass at higher magnification. Also, if you can't hold it steady the extra magnified details cannot be seen. So, 8x max for handheld, 10x if you have rock solid hands.

Rock solid means you can drill the x out of the target with a pistol holding it with one hand.
Originally Posted by fellas2
I'm currently sitting on six or seven pairs on what i call, budget friendly binoculars. I've used them all in the field and for one reason or another, not impressed with any of them. Manufacturers run from Nikon, Redfield, Alpen, Vortex, Minox, and Brunton. Price ranges have been anywhere from $100-$250, some new and some used. I'm thinking it's time for me top unload all of them and put the funds to the purchase of one pair in will be pleased with and keep for a while. My situation requires a minimum of 12x, even thought these old eyes might prefer 15x, and would really like to have an objective of no less than 50mm due to a combination of use out of a ground blind and the majority of deer movement being early and late in low light conditions. I'm figuring if i can sell off all of them, might put me in the $700-$900 budget range. Suggestions always appreciated.

How do you use binos ?
Are you searching distant wooded hillsides for deer longrange hunting style glassing ? I ask because of the 12x 15x comment as HH4whiskey said ;

Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Go 6x or 8x and be done with it. Clarity and brightness will beat X’s, but that’s just my opinion.

means very little . You can see WAY BETTER with alpha glass 8x than you can with budget 12x 15x glass . Myself nothing over 8x without a tripod , 8x with a tripod makes glassing much more enjoyable .
Originally Posted by ol_mike
You can see WAY BETTER with alpha glass 8x than you can with budget 12x 15x glass . Myself nothing over 8x without a tripod , 8x with a tripod makes glassing much more enjoyable .

Well put
Most of my use is in a ground blind or tree stand overlooking fields. Shots can be anywhere from 25 yards to 600 yards if i so desire ( never attempted one that far, but have shot a couple over 300 )
Deer movement is highest early am while travelling from food source to bedding areas and in the evening back to food source. They also some daytime travel using field corners as shortcuts.
How about a suggestion for a tripod that is light enough to carry, sturdy enough to hold optics steady and won't break the bank?
Crisp quality glass in 8X gives the best view in my opinion.
I have 15X swarovski, and they live on a tripod, when they are not in the safe, but they never get out due to size.
CZECH10022, in answer to your question, the best value tripod for glassing that is small and well built would be the Manfrotto Befree Live US, MVKBFRT-Liveus. It has a fluid pan head and comes with a case. Normally $239.99, we discount it for forum members to $209.99, HOWEVER through this Sunday we will do it for $191.99
Here is a link to see it. You would need to call to get this price

https://cameralandny.com/products.html?catalog%5Bsearch%5D%5Btext%5D=befree&catalog%5Bsort%5D%5Bon%5D=relevance&x=0&y=0
Originally Posted by ol_mike

How do you use binos ?
Are you searching distant wooded hillsides for deer longrange hunting style glassing ? I ask because of the 12x 15x comment as HH4whiskey said ;

Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

means very little . You can see WAY BETTER with alpha glass 8x than you can with budget 12x 15x glass . Myself nothing over 8x without a tripod , 8x with a tripod makes glassing much more enjoyable .

^^^^This......You simply cannot beat clarity and brightness.

Trystan

Simple enough, work out what size you want then go check out the appropriate glass from Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica...once you have made up your mind as to what you want start saving your pennies 'til you have exactly what you want.

Some things really are worth saving for.

added; took me two years to get my Zeiss...and another three to get them back from my daughter!
Buy once, cry once....I'd only be looking at the Big 3
Originally Posted by atse
Go buy a pair of Leica or Swaros and quit piddling around. Pay the money and enjoy the glass.

This^^

20 years ago I bought a pair of 10x42 Swarovski slc’s, I’m still using them today and likely will be 20 years from now. I spent $830 for them then and have watched buddies go through numerous pairs of budget binos in the same time while spending more for all the “upgrades” than I have in my swaros. They’ve got a bunch of mediocre binos in a closet & I’ve got one pair that I use all the time.

Buy once cry once.
The budget binocular I bought a while back is a Meopta Meostar. It gives me all or nearly all of what the Zeiss, Leica and Swarovskis of the same time period gave, and on a substantially smaller budget.
Meopta Meostar HD, Pro Guide BX4, Nikon HG, Tract Toric UHD, Conquest HD.....all of these I've owned and/or used. All will do what the "alpha" guys do for waaaay less money. I do own and use "alpha" glass, FWIW.
One thing on size vs weight/dimensions - the 8x42 Leicas and Swaros weigh the same as the 10x42 and are almost identical in dimensions - at least according to the respective websites. If true, I see little advantage going with an 8X unless you struggle to hold a 10X still.

I'm going through the same exercise and upgrading my 10+ year old Minox...........
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

+1 I must have bought a dozen binos before i started buying Leicas... If I combined all the previous binos pricewise I could have bought 3 different pairs of alpha binos
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1 I must have bought a dozen binos before i started buying Leicas... If I combined all the previous binos pricewise I could have bought 3 different pairs of alpha binos

Yes Sir, some still don't get it....and never will.
The one's that don't get it are the ones that think you have to spend $1500+ to get a fantastic set of hunting binos. Those days are long gone.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

This^^^^^^^^^^^ and even then, some people have a little trouble with 10's, but I love 'em. And you wouldn't want anything bigger hanging around your neck, even with a harness.

But if you're head hunting, you still need a spotting scope, just no way around it.

I have Lieca's & they are great, but lots of good glass from Zeiss & Swarovoski as well..............lots of personal preference, timing & budget involved.

MM
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The one's that don't get it are the ones that think you have to spend $1500+ to get a fantastic set of hunting binos. Those days are long gone.

The Big 3 should be going out of business any day now lol

Nobody said you shouldn't spend the big bucks if you can afford it and want to.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Same here. Now I own a set of Zeiss Victory that I will probably never part with.

Good try but I never said that. I own Swaro and Leica as well. The fact is that the sales of top end, high $$$ glass is miniscule in comparison to mid range, high performing binoculars, i.e. Toric, Conquest HD, Meostar HD, HG, etc.

FYI, Leica was close to filing bankruptcy already about 20 years ago.
Originally Posted by mathman

No,,,but implying those that do choose to buy Alpha products, are somewhat foolish or uneducated consumers because of today's "new kids on the block" is lol.

There are many levels of optics budgets available, along with a multitude of choices based on needs in the field. Each person chooses what fit's his budget and provides the tool to accomplish the task. Arguing brands or even models is futile, especially if price isn't part of the equation.

People with a Ford Focus always feel the need to explain why they own a POS, yet I've never met a guy with a BMW explaining why he's stuck with that car.

No,,,but implying those that do choose to buy Alpha products, are somewhat foolish or uneducated consumers because of today's "new kids on the block" is lol.

There are many levels of optics budgets available, along with a multitude of choices based on needs in the field. Each person chooses what fit's his budget and provides the tool to accomplish the task. Arguing brands or even models is futile, especially if price isn't part of the equation.

People with a Ford Focus always feel the need to explain why they own a POS, yet I've never met a guy with a BMW explaining why he's stuck with that car.

That wasn't the implication, the explicit statement was about those who think one must buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular.
Bwana1, you seem to have missed the fact that i own a few alpha binos....slc HD's, Geovids, 10x50 SV's, along with several high performing mid level glass. I'm not implying anything other than the indisputable fact that today's $500-$1000 glass is all anyone, anywhere would ever NEED to hunt and glass successfully in the field and the performance gap is negligible. It will not make a hill of beans difference as far as success goes. I never said otherwise, ever. Believe it or not, when I have my SV's on a tripod, alongside a BX4 Pro Guide HD I can see the same thing through both of them, easily. The SV does it better, but you won't miss anything.

I believe spotting scopes, however, are another matter, and that you do have to pay for performance.

That wasn't the implication, the explicit statement was about those who think one must buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular.

I appreciate you explaining "the implication" of the statement lol, mind reading 101.

I collect optics, both bino's and spotters,,,and feel no need to defend my purchases nor explain my purchasing choices. I probably have 35k in optics, not counting rifle scopes,,,and if anyone wants to really learn about optics they'll spend time at the bird watching forums.

If you understand and agree with that sentiment, there's no need to drive your post count up.
About 10 years ago, I bought a set of 10x Leica's from Doug to go Mule Deer hunting in Wyoming. After a couple of years, I sold them and bought a set of Swaro EL in 10X. After a couple more years, I picked up a used 7X Swaro SLC that is a 30mm or somewhere around there. One of the son's uses them and I now use a 8X SLC again with the 30 something objective. The EL's haven't been out of the safe for about 4 years now (won't sell them) as the smaller SLC 8X fits my hunting to a tee. I still hunt timber that is some old growth so I can occasionally see well over 100 yards. Occasionally I will hit the fringes of the timber to check out the fields, the 8X are more than adequate for me to 600 yards on our whitetails.
Bwana1, you seem to have missed the fact that i own a few alpha binos....slc HD's, Geovids, 10x50 SV's, along with several high performing mid level glass. I'm not implying anything other than the indisputable fact that today's $500-$1000 glass is all anyone, anywhere would ever NEED to hunt and glass successfully in the field and the performance gap is negligible. It will not make a hill of beans difference as far as success goes. I never said otherwise, ever. Believe it or not, when I have my SV's on a tripod, alongside a BX4 Pro Guide HD I can see the same thing through both of them, easily. The SV does it better, but you won't miss anything.

I believe spotting scopes, however, are another matter, and that you do have to pay for performance.

I agree with most of that, based on how many hours the glass is actually used. An awful lot of quality is also based on one's individual eye sight, if someone's eye sight is subpar them distinguishing detail is off setting optic quality.
OK, so please be explicit for obtuse old me. Must one buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular?
OK, so please be explicit for obtuse old me. Must one buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular?

Nope, your money buy what you want...and so will I.

Easy
A: Nope, you won't be explicit.

B: Nope, it isn't necessary to buy an alpha to get a good bino.

The question is still open.
A: Nope, you won't be explicit.

B: Nope, it isn't necessary to buy an alpha to get a good bino.

The question is still open.

ok, argue with yourself, that way you'll always be right....lol
You're just not willing to say it. ... lol
Bored ? lol

I agree with most of that, based on how many hours the glass is actually used. An awful lot of quality is also based on one's individual eye sight, if someone's eye sight is subpar them distinguishing detail is off setting optic quality.

Agreed. What's your handle on Birdforum? Also, if you will read the OP, what bino do you suggest for him given his $700-900 budget?
I'm going to get you to say "Hell yes I ordered the code red!"

Sorry, I took English (& Literature too), & though the statement was as you noted, but the clear implication (what was to be inferred) behind that was exactly as Bwana stated.

The explicit statement is one thing, what was implied is quite another.

To attempt to say that that's not what JG meant is being pretty disingenuous on both your part as well as JG's.

MM
Leica Demo Deals

We've got 1 of each of the following in discounted Leica Demos:

Geovid 10x42 R - Yards #40428 reduced to $1,079.99

Trinovid 8x42 HD Binocular - Black reduced to $749.99

Trinovid 10x42 HD Binocular - Black reduced to $799.99

We've got 1 of each of these so if you're interested please give us a call,516-217-1000
Then JG implied himself to be foolish, JG being an alpha owner too.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Sorry, I took English (& Literature too), & though the statement was as you noted, but the clear implication (what was to be inferred) behind that was exactly as Bwana stated.

The explicit statement is one thing, what was implied is quite another.

To attempt to say that that's not what JG meant is being pretty disingenuous on both your part as well as JG's.

MM

I'm not sure how anyone could misunderstand my response you guys are referencining. The quote below is what Bwana 1 said in agreement about "buy once, cry once"......

Yes Sir, some still don't get it....and never will.

My response to that was.....

What's confusing about that?
lol

JG clarified his post, we understand each other's viewpoints.
Bwana1...?????

Agreed. What's your handle on Birdforum? Also, if you will read the OP, what bino do you suggest for him given his $700-900 budget?
I too had an obsession with glass.

Your optics are the most important part of the gear after your gun. You should buy the best optics you can afford to.

There are many good deals on used top tier optics out there- many are barely used. Spending a grand on a used set of used Swarovski or Zeiss is hands down better than spending the same amount on budget optics (FWIW I rate Leica just below the Swaro & Zeiss and well above the others).
OP,
Quit reading all the BS here and buy those 8x42's from Doug. Use your credit card.
Thank me later.
Or buy some Toric's in 8x42.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
OP,
Quit reading all the BS here and buy those 8x42's from Doug. Use your credit card.
Thank me later.

The 8x42 are what I would pick after many years of trial and error. 750 is a great buy.
I purchased a nice pair of Swarovski ELs on the fire several years ago, very happy.
In September I purchased a pair of Minox 8x43 HPG demos for $1,000. These were the higher end model.
Be patient, if you can’t get exactly what you want in size, 8 vs 10 or 12, you will be happier with the better glass.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
OP,
Thank me later.

^^^^This^^^^
$700-900 budget = Leica Trinovid HD 8x42. Love mine! Happy Trails
Spence1875 on the fire had a pair for sale on the fire. Buy with confidence from him.

Cool, have we worked out who is the bigger jew yet?
Originally Posted by JSTUART

[bleep]
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

[bleep]

Use "arsehole", it doesn't bleep.

Oh, and your touchy-feelie crap doesn't interest me either.

I have found over the years that 10x as a walk-around bino- is a little too hard for me to hold steady as opposed to the 7x or 8x glasses and a reasonable rest is not always handy when on foot. And for me anything over 10x is demanding of a tripod if used primarily. If you regularly can “rest” a 10x in your style of general hunting, you’d be fine I’d think.

Over the years I’ve distilled my use to a Zeiss BRF (integral rangefinder) 8x45 HD for hunting on foot. They are heavy at over 30 oz but you eliminate a separate rangefinder. For-sit-and-glass hunting I use a Leica 15x56 on a tripod or a window mount if in the truck.

I’m sure there are other brands at less price that would suffice but these two at many years now have proven well worth it, especially priced as demo’s from Cameraland. I’ve really not used any other than the “Big 3” but have never been disappointed in any.

Now, scopes?..that’s another story.
Always glad to discuss optics with the members here. Please give a call
If you plan on a 12x or 15x power binox, then you WILL need a tripod.

I hunt in heavy brush. I use a Conquest HD 15x56 mounted on a tripod when on the ground, or a gorillapod 5k when elevated.

What I don't get is the "best value" or "best bang for the buck" approach a lot here have, Personally I choose what I want and then save 'til I can afford it, and if it is more than I can afford I go without 'til I can.

I have had enough of buying stuff I am not altogether happy with.
Agree with many of the opinion's above. I also own $$ Euro bino's but once I started using Nikon's MONARCH HG's that was it. It also had nothing to do with me doing freelance work with Nikon either. When I am hunting in TX,OK,KS or OR I use the best optic's I have and those are the HG's. An older guy from Maine I recently hunted with had the HG's and also loved em. When you are going to spend a grand on bino's, it's definitely worth looking through the ones you like and buying what works best for your eyes.
I smell...............................................a Pussy!
I'm currently sitting on six or seven pairs on what i call, budget friendly binoculars. Suggestions always appreciated.

Sell all that chit and buy a used set of the Alpha's of your choice. I'm a Leica guy.
Meopta for the win!
Weare running a Weekend Meopta sale that's worth taking a look at. The Meopro 10x42 for only $399.99, the 8x32 Meopro for only $299.99

Give a call and let's discuss what would be best for you.

We also have 1 of the demo Leica Trinovid HD's left for only $799.99

+1

If you wear eyeglasses look at the zeiss 8x42 conquest, nikon 8x42 hg, or leica 8x42 hd each have adequate eye relief so you see the entire field of view.

Lol...you must not know many people with a BMW. If you own a BMW you need to set up an automatic withdrawal from your checking account with your mechanic the instant the warranty runs out.

What I don't get is the "best value" or "best bang for the buck" approach a lot here have, Personally I choose what I want and then save 'til I can afford it, and if it is more than I can afford I go without 'til I can.

I have had enough of buying stuff I am not altogether happy with.

It just depends on how you were raised. A binocular, a rifle, a four wheeler and all that stuff we talk about on here are just toys for most of us. In the grand scheme of things none of these items make much difference in our lives. I was raised that if you can’t buy something like that for cash without even thinking about it, then you can’t afford it. If you have to save, scrimp, plan, or buy it on credit, then you are better off focusing your time and energies elsewhere.

I’m not passing judgment or saying that one is better than the other...they obviously both have their merits and adherents, but that is the thinking for lots of people anyway.
By the way, I’ll spend $2k on a pair of binoculars as soon as someone can cure me of the habit of setting them on the bumper of my truck while I get out of my hunting clothes and then driving off.
I've got the 10x50 and 15x56 Swar's... I can use both pretty easily and have never used tripods. Your results may vary... I'd get the 10 power Swar's again... they get used the most unless I'm out west...

Personally, I've been quite pleased with my Weaver Grand Slam 8.5x45 binocular, I like the Super Slam ones even better, just could not afford them at the time...right now I'd go with a Super Slam or a Meopro(especially for the deal Doug has going on the Meopro right now).
Within the OP's budget, what about the Meopta Meostar vs. the Leica Trinovid HD in 8 or 10x42?

Although not quite in the same league, I have an older pair of Pentax DCF WP 10x42s I'm rather pleased with.

My next pair will likely be either the Meostars or the Trinovid in 8x42.
We have a Demo Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 for only $799.99
Years ago I decided to quit wasting money on cheap binoculars..I would do without till I saved up enough money for the best...which I thought were zeiss. After looking through both zeiss and Lica ..I walked out with Lica...that was 25 years ago and they are still good as new...
Pay now or pay later..

$29.99 Bushnell's are where it's at! whistle
I'm going to get you to say "Hell yes I ordered the code red!"

Good flick.;)
Personally, I've never even handled really high end binoculars. My dad has a decent, old pair for bird watching, but something like a 10x30mm Simmons (cheap) has always been good enough for the shorter woods ranges of the indiana/ohio/Illinois/Tennessee/Kentucky area. As I grew up at shotgun range, rather than rifle range hunting.
My best pair of binoculars was given to my wildfire fighting son, as he needed them more. But I am missing them from time to time. I have never owned a range finder as well. I am thinking of a combined bionics/range finder. Something cheap, but good for @300yards.
Any Suggestions?

Edit: there are several pages of offerings on ebay for used bionics. Some good names in optics. A lot for less than $100.00.
Bet ^^^^ your favorite beer is Old Milwaukee 😂
Originally Posted by WAM
Bet ^^^^ your favorite beer is Old Milwaukee 😂

Nope, afraid I don't care for beer much. Though feel free to imbibe, it will not offend me if you like that swill. wink

But I don't understand this need to buy the bestest, newest, most awesomest, while the best of last year is still up for grabs. Quality gear that was designed for decades, yet cast aside for this year's new color. If it was worth buying then as quality, it still is quality, so why not buy used?
Originally Posted by kellory
I am thinking of a combined bionics/range finder. Something cheap, but good for @300yards.
Any Suggestions?

Edit: there are several pages of offerings on ebay for used bionics. Some good names in optics. A lot for less than $100.00.

My only experience with a bino/rangefinder combo is with the Bushnell Fusion ARC, in 10x42 persuasion. 'Twas a used item purchased here on 24HCF, that was much better than I was anticipating. The glass was clearer/sharper than the price point would have suggested, and the rangefinder worked flawlessly to the full range claimed, as verified by both Swaro and Leica stand alone range finders. This was in 2014 - I'm not sure of the actual date of production.

I don't know if you could find a unit from another mfgr priced lower, but I'd be suspicious of it if you did. Perhaps buy from a trusted source, like Doug, who'd make good on it if it crapped-out.

In the meantime, I believe Doug has some package deals with stand-alone binos/rangefinders, that might be intriguing. I wanna say he had paired-up some Athlon units for south of $300, though would probably have better glass than what you've been using. My own experience with 2 Athlon products has been quite positive.

Good luck,

FC
It's always my pleasure to "meet" the members here, talk optics and give the best deal we can. Just give a call, 516-217-1000
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I am thinking of a combined bionics/range finder. Something cheap, but good for @300yards.
Any Suggestions?

My only experience with a bino/rangefinder combo is with the Bushnell Fusion ARC, in 10x42 persuasion. 'Twas a used item purchased here on 24HCF, that was much better than I was anticipating. The glass was clearer/sharper than the price point would have suggested, and the rangefinder worked flawlessly to the full range claimed, as verified by both Swaro and Leica stand alone range finders. This was in 2014 - I'm not sure of the actual date of production.

I don't know if you could find a unit from another mfgr priced lower, but I'd be suspicious of it if you did. Perhaps buy from a trusted source, like Doug, who'd make good on it if it crapped-out.

In the meantime, I believe Doug has some package deals with stand-alone binos/rangefinders, that might be intriguing. I wanna say he had paired-up some Athlon units for south of $300, though would probably have better glass than what you've been using. My own experience with 2 Athlon products has been quite positive.

Good luck,

FC

Thank you for the input. I'm shooting .450bushmaster, which is designed as a 300yard accurate ammo. (Short range rifle) so what you describe sounds ideal. 10x42mm with range finder. I'll see if I can locate a used pair.
FC, any issues with color? There seem to be a lot of comments about a blue/green poor quality view. Reviews are not altogether favorable.
I would think a tripod in the ground blind would be a great help steadying the binos and rifle. If no tripod, how about a monopod?
FC, any issues with color? There seem to be a lot of comments about a blue/green poor quality view. Reviews are not altogether favorable.

They were Ready's. Since he posted this in the open forum 4 years ago, I'll throw it back out there (emphasis mine) :

Originally Posted by Ready
Bushnell Fusion ARC 1600 I got here on the fire preowned (thank you to Great Waputi for a good deal and flawless prceedings).

To my eyes a serious piece of kit. Ranging in a quick test on par with Leica 1600. I can life very well with the so called "blue tinge".

Admittingly a bit anxious on the "electronics" not to take a dive...

For the purpose - in set with my canned Savage PC .308, SWFA 10x42 MIL/MIL - set up for ranging in meters - its the cats meouw.

Perhaps PM him, to see if he still feels the same.

FWIW, I could also live with the blue tinge.

Also, while searching for Ready's assessment, I came across this 1/22/13 post from Mule Deer:

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One piece of good optics news from the SHOT Show is that Bushnell eliminated the blue tint in the Fusions. It was there to enhance contrast in the range LED, but they figured out how to do that without the blue tint. I'm hoping to get a test sample of the new version as soon as they become available.

FC
Excellent. Thank you for that.
It's always my pleasure to "meet" the members here, talk optics and give the best deal we can. Just give a call, 516-217-1000

Yep. I did. Doug did. Grateful.
Jim

If you're using the 12x for just picking them up and looking at something, the 12x50 will indeed work. If you're going to continually glass with them, I would recommend a tripod or stepping down to a 10x.
As well, if you're used to using low-end optics, a 8 or 10x in some of the better makers will blow you away.

In recent weeks, I used a 12x50 Meopta Meostar based on a recommendation from GregW. And I'll probably need to buy him dinner at some point. laugh
If you need a 12x, don't mess around - sell one more thing and get the Meopta Meostar from Doug.
© 24hourcampfire