Home
Posted By: timl LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
I currently have a SWFA 3-9 on my CTR and I’m happy with it. However, I strarted looking at the LRHS 3-12 and liked a few of it’s features; mainly the smaller knobs. I know some don’t like the reticle in the SWFA scopes, saying it’s too fine but I really like it. Is the LRHS reticle thin as well? Do you think the numbered hash marks are helpful? Is the higher magnification useful if I’m only shooting steel out to 700 or 800? I realize this model is discontinued, but there are still some out there.

I have more questions, but I’ll let you guys tell me what you think the important pros/cons are. This is for a hunting out to MAYBE 300 yds, and shooting steel to possibly 1000.

I did a search after posting this and got a bunch of good information, but I’d still like to hear some new opinions.

Thanks
Posted By: elkaddict Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
I much prefer the LRHS retiicle. The glass is a huge upgrade from SWFA. Both seem equally repeatable. Also, as you note, the knobs are much more conducive to hunting. Wish I’d picked up a couple more of the 4.5x18i scopes when they were available/more reasonably priced.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
LRHS gets my vote!
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
The LRHS is more scope when it comes to glass and features. It’s also “more scope” in terms of weight and price. Can’t go wrong, they’re both fantastic options. Both reticles are excellent. The numbered and variably-sized hashmarks are nice. Zero stop is really great on the LRHS. For a lightweight rifle, I’d go SS, for a midweight, LRHS.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
LRHS gets my vote!

Same here.
Based on, what I have read about them on here and other web links.
Wish you the best.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
I've had both, and both work well. I like the weight of the SWFA. The LRHS is a bit heavier than advertised. The LRHS glass is better. I like the reticle better. It is just fine but the heavier portion is closer to the center on low power,so easier to bracket an animal if the light was bad.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
I like both, but prefer the LRHS. Great feature set and glass. Both are repeatable, durable scopes, IME. But, as the other guys have mentioned, the LRHS is heavier and costs more. So no free lunch. smile
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I like both, but prefer the LRHS. Great feature set and glass. Both are repeatable, durable scopes, IME. But, as the other guys have mentioned, the LRHS is heavier and costs more. So no free lunch. smile

Yea,basically no contest otherwise,but weight can be a big issue. I decided the one I had was too heavy for my needs ,which weren't really long range.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
I believe I currently have 4 3-9 SWFA scopes and 5 LRHS. Both are good so like Jordan said just depends on the application.
Posted By: STS45 Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
I have both.......but chose a 6X SWFA for my Desert Bighorn Sheep hunt......and closed the deal yesterday at 560 yards so that should tell you something.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 30338 Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
What a marvelous ram. Well done.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/08/18
Is there a better 3-15X on the market for the money and features of the SWFA?
Posted By: Holston Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Is there a better 3-15X on the market for the money and features of the SWFA?

I have a 3-15 SWFA MQ, I'm not nearly impressed with it as much as the 6x and 3-9.

Might be for sale soon.

I'd look elsewhere personally, but they seem to be pretty popular here.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Originally Posted by 30338
What a marvelous ram. Well done.

Indeed.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
STS45,

Congrats on a fantastic ram! Awesome animal.

I love the 6x SS. My wife will be getting a new Tikka this year, it'll be scoped with the 6x.
Posted By: Brad Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Wow STS... to heck with scopes, that’s a fabulous Ram! Big congrats!
Posted By: STS45 Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Originally Posted by Brad
Wow STS... to heck with scopes, that’s a fabulous Ram! Big congrats!

Thanks Brad. By the way I got your old FWT stainless 308 back that I foolishly traded. It was actually in the truck and had been in the pack for many hours the days before while hunting for sheep. It is wearing a SWFA 3-9. Only took the Tikka on this day as it was a LONG hike in and back out. Needed to save all the weight I could!

After practicing a lot ranging and dialing in the distances with the SWFA scopes I can't begin to tell you what a game changer they are. My buddies were freaking out that I was so calm before the shot. But I had practiced out to 838 yards on steel and rang it consistently with the 6X so I was pretty confident in it. At 560 yards the 6x magnification wasn't a problem at all. Two years ago I would have NEVER even considered a 6x for anything close to 500 yards. Funny how you don't know what you don't know.

I'll try to figure out how to post the shoot video.
Funny what practice will do smile

Glad to hear you got the 308 back!

What is your Tikka chambered for?
Posted By: beretzs Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Congrats on the Ram STS! Those 6x SS’s are damned good scopes. All of my Tikkas are set up the same way except for the 270 which has the 3x9 on it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Friggin awesome ram.
Posted By: STS45 Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Originally Posted by Brad
Funny what practice will do smile

Glad to hear you got the 308 back!

What is your Tikka chambered for?

308 smile

Shooting Hornady 178 ELD-X.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Great sheep! I really like my Super Chickens!
Posted By: GregW Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/09/18
Great ram bud....
Originally Posted by STS45

308 smile

Shooting Hornady 178 ELD-X.

I should have known laugh
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/10/18
What height ens rings did you go with?
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/10/18
Nice ram mate
Posted By: timl Re: LRHS vs SWFA? - 12/10/18