Home
Posted By: R_H_Clark Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
A friend wants me to help him buy"the best scope he has ever bought." His budget is about $400.
His current scope is a Barska 4-12X56. Weight won't matter and he won't be shooting over 300 yards.

I'm a little nervous about making a recommendation because he is expecting a lot. I doubt he has ever spent over $100 for a scope and he is expecting a lot.

Right now I'm thinking Meopta 3-9X50. Any better suggestions?
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
There is one of your beloved Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32's on the Classifieds for $400. He may want more mag/objective though?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Doug had some Meopta 3.5-10x44 #4 reticles for that price range a few days ago. Leupold vx3I might be in that range as well
Posted By: sidepass Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Most anything will be an improvement from my point of view. For 300 yard shots he doesn't need a Hubble. Talk to Doug about a Hawke, lot of scope for the money it seems.
Posted By: SKane Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I'm a little nervous about making a recommendation because he is expecting a lot. I doubt he has ever spent over $100 for a scope and he is expecting a lot.

He currently has a BARSKA yet he has high expectations? laugh

is 50mm(+) a must?
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
We have the Meopta 3.5-10x44 #4 on sale for $399.99

Also have a Sig Sauer 3-9x40 WHISKEY3 Riflescope with the HellFire TriPlex Reticle, #SOW33108 for only $199.99. Give a call as this is not on our site
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by SKane

He currently has a BARSKA yet he has high expectations? laugh

is 50mm(+) a must?

I know,right,but he thinks he will be buying something astounding at $400. I don't think 50mm is a must but I think he will like it better given his leanings.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

This and done.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

This and done.

There is nothing else at that price, I had one and still get to use it from time to time
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Does he want something in the same power range or doesn't it matter ? What rifle is it going on ?
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
With that budget, I would go with a SWFA SS 6x42 at $299. Six power is plenty for 300 and under, and it will actually work and retain zero.

If he wants a variable, I would look at the Burris Fullfield II's. But, I would definitely do the SS myself.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by ChetAF
With that budget, I would go with a SWFA SS 6x42 at $299. Six power is plenty for 300 and under, and it will actually work and retain zero.

If he wants a variable, I would look at the Burris Fullfield II's. But, I would definitely do the SS myself.

I hear you but that kind of guy would be trying some seriously fugged up shots with his new sniper scope. He needs a set and forget.

I'm trying to get him in that direction,and he didn't mind the idea of target knobs. I've had a couple of the 3-9's in the past but don't have one now. I want to get one in his hands,so if he likes the reticle,it will be the obvious choice. I doubt he will want a 6X though,as he kept telling me how he liked to zoom in on one with the 12X Barska. He missed his best ever buck at about 75 yards though,sitting down using shooting sticks, and he is re-evaluating his scope choice.

He might go for the 3-15 SS. There are some cheaper moa versions and maybe even a non FFP version,I think,not sure. Anyway,would you recommend a 3-15 SS model for someone who likes higher power and wants the toughest scope he can get for the money? He was talking about wanting to shoot long range,but I figured out that would be 300 yards and probably never over 400.

He is also shooting a Mossberg 270 bolt gun with synthetic stock,and factory ammo. I told him we would start with the gun and check it over and I would help him mount the scope. He said his gun shot cloverleafs when he tested it,but who knows? I've seen guys say that because they just happened to shoot one good group chasing zero all over for the first 30 rounds, and called it the end and perfect after that last "lucky" group.
Posted By: skeen Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19

He might go for the 3-15 SS. There are some cheaper moa versions and maybe even a non FFP version,I think,not sure. Anyway,would you recommend a 3-15 SS model for someone who likes higher power and wants the toughest scope he can get for the money? He was talking about wanting to shoot long range,but I figured out that would be 300 yards and probably never over 400.

I would recommend it and have to several of my hunting buddies who want a good scope with higher magnification, but, for whatever reason, don't want to spend big bucks.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I hear you but that kind of guy would be trying some seriously fugged up shots with his new sniper scope. He needs a set and forget.

Probably right,..but he won't be able to get ridiculous anywhere close to home. There are actually very few places to shoot over 300 yards locally,and you only get the longer shots on a power line or cut-over after the first year or two,after that it's too grown up.

Touche! grin
I think ,right now,I'll recommend the 3-15 SS if he can deal with the knobs and reticle,and if not a Meopta with their #4.

I'm trying to get him in that direction,and he didn't mind the idea of target knobs. I've had a couple of the 3-9's in the past but don't have one now. I want to get one in his hands,so if he likes the reticle,it will be the obvious choice. I doubt he will want a 6X though,as he kept telling me how he liked to zoom in on one with the 12X Barska. He missed his best ever buck at about 75 yards though,sitting down using shooting sticks, and he is re-evaluating his scope choice.

He is also shooting a Mossberg 270 bolt gun with synthetic stock,and factory ammo. I told him we would start with the gun and check it over and I would help him mount the scope. He said his gun shot cloverleafs when he tested it,but who knows? I've seen guys say that because they just happened to shoot one good group chasing zero all over for the first 30 rounds, and called it the end and perfect after that last "lucky" group.

Yes, the SS 3-15 is a good scope. I have one that I have used a lot over the last few years and it would be a great choice if he likes a higher power variable. I just figured it was over his budget, but if there are some in the $400 range out there, they will work fine.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
eBay could be his friend...If he’s a hard charger a Super Chicken 3-15x42 can be had in his price range. 😎
Originally Posted by Beaver10
eBay could be his friend...If he’s a hard charger a Super Chicken 3-15x42 can be had in his price range. 😎

Yea,I might talk him into a few dollars more but I hate to hard sell it before he can even see the reticle. He had never seen a FFP scope either.

Then there's mounts. I think he has some of those air gun company mounts on it now,..forget the name.

Yea,I might talk him into a few dollars more but I hate to hard sell it before he can even see the reticle. He had never seen a FFP scope either.

Then there's mounts. I think he has some of those air gun company mounts on it now,..forget the name.

Daisy?

Daisy?

Ha,Ha.. No,something ultra cheap in 30mm rings.I just remember the air gun guys use them mostly. I'll try to talk him into a decent rail and likely give him a good set of rings.
putting a scope like that on a 250.00 plastic stocked Mossberg is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
putting a scope like that on a 250.00 plastic stocked Mossberg is like putting lipstick on a pig.

What do you have your SWFA's on? What didn't you like about the Mossberg bolt action you've owned?

The're cheap rifles ,but I hear they shoot. I think they are about like a Savage 110.

Even so ,I would rather have a $500 scope on a $200 rifle,rather than the other way around. That's if if shoots decent.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
What about a VX-3i 3.5-10?

The're cheap rifles ,but I hear they shoot. I think they are about like a Savage 110.

Even so ,I would rather have a $500 scope on a $200 rifle,rather than the other way around. That's if if shoots decent.
If 500.00 scopes were mandatory to kill deer/game I'd never have killed anything in my life. Having killed well over 200 deer over the last 45 years as well as thousands of varmints/predators/small game animals you might be able to see how rediculous I think that is.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
[quote=gr8fuldoug]We have the Meopta 3.5-10x44 #4 on sale for $399.99

This is as good as it gets for $400. A Great price from Doug.

If 500.00 scopes were mandatory to kill deer/game I'd never have killed anything in my life. Having killed well over 200 deer over the last 45 years as well as thousands of varmints/predators/small game animals you might be able to see how rediculous I think that is.

It seems you just want to argue.I never said anything about needing a certain priced scope,or even any scope at all to kill a deer.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
The $399 Meopta will be such an improvement over his Barska that he will be shocked. Even discerning rifle loonies might have trouble telling the difference between the Meopta and scopes 3-4X that price.
Posted By: drover Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by peeshooter

Since he is using a Barska now anything would be an upgrade. I would think that he would be awed by the view through the VX-3i 3.5-10. Take him to a store and let him look through it and if he likes it with a little shopping one can be found for under the $400 budget, and maybe with enough money left over to buy him a decent set of rings.

drover
Posted By: SKane Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19

That's what I'd do. smile
Originally Posted by drover

Since he is using a Barska now anything would be an upgrade. I would think that he would be awed by the view through the VX-3i 3.5-10. Take him to a store and let him look through it and if he likes it with a little shopping one can be found for under the $400 budget, and maybe with enough money left over to buy him a decent set of rings.

drover

That was a possibility but I wonder if a Meopta won't have just as good of a view and perhaps hold up slightly better,if he wants a set and forget scope.
Posted By: drover Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19

drover

That was a possibility but I wonder if a Meopta won't have just as good of a view and perhaps hold up slightly better,if he wants a set and forget scope.

They are all mechanical and anything mechanical can fail, but if he has been getting by with a Barska and it has not failed he must not be too hard on equipment. I have never owned a Meopta but have looked through a few and each case I was underwhelmed with the view - IMO the Leupold view is superior. But I also have excellent eyesight and not all of us see the same thing when looking through a scope. Before advising him to go one way or the other if you can find a store that carries a Meopta and Leupold take him there and let him have a look and make the decision from what he sees.

drover
Posted By: Burbank Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Just my take.....

VX3i for under 300.00 bucks on Ebay and use the rest of the money for beer.

drover

They are all mechanical and anything mechanical can fail, but if he has been getting by with a Barska and it has not failed he must not be too hard on equipment. I have never owned a Meopta but have looked through a few and each case I was underwhelmed with the view - IMO the Leupold view is superior. But I also have excellent eyesight and not all of us see the same thing when looking through a scope. Before advising him to go one way or the other if you can find a store that carries a Meopta and Leupold take him there and let him have a look and make the decision from what he sees.

drover

Yea,that's a huge problem around here. He asked me because he knows I've owned a dozen different scopes in the last few years. Subjective as you say,since I liked the view of the Meopta's I've seen with the exception of one. I don't remember the model,but it had a wide zoom range but the low end had bad tunnel vision. The 3-9's and 4-12's I've seen,I would say are the equal at least to a VX3.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by Burbank
Just my take.....

This man is a genius!
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19

drover

drover

Yea,that's a huge problem around here. He asked me because he knows I've owned a dozen different scopes in the last few years. Subjective as you say,since I liked the view of the Meopta's I've seen with the exception of one. I don't remember the model,but it had a wide zoom range but the low end had bad tunnel vision. The 3-9's and 4-12's I've seen,I would say are the equal at least to a VX3.

The Meopta/Cabelas/Zeiss old Conquest are at least the equal of the VX3 glass with the bonus of constant eye relief through the power range. The only thing the Leupold has over the Meopta is weight and slightly more compact dimensions. I would try to find one in the 3-9x40 instead of the 3-5-10 or 3-9x42 etc. They have a little longer eye relief.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
I second the 3-9x40 Meopro. I think the Meopro 3.5-10x44/VX3i are great choices as well
Mil reticles and turrets are surely the way to go in a 3-15x scope. He'll be slinging 1000 yard shots at deer after only half a box of Corelokts at the dump shooting paint cans at 53 yards.
Don't forget the 20moa base.

drover

I had said scope and the first time I looked at it I was cured of my Z3 habit
Mil reticles and turrets are surely the way to go in a 3-15x scope. He'll be slinging 1000 yard shots at deer after only half a box of Corelokts at the dump shooting paint cans at 53 yards.

Neither of us are redneck snipers. The attraction of the SWFA is the durability more than anything.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Get the Meopta from Doug and be done with it.
Posted By: kingston Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19

Daisy?

Ha,Ha.. No,something ultra cheap in 30mm rings.I just remember the air gun guys use them mostly. I'll try to talk him into a decent rail and likely give him a good set of rings.

NCSTAR
Posted By: kingston Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
It’s pretty hard to beat Meopta for quality and value. If you ever need it, they’ve got top notch CS.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Just my take.....

Why not just buy a fake leupold and buy a keg and invite all your friends? Damn near anything would be better than a barska..
Posted By: Burbank Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Just my take.....

Why not just buy a fake leupold and buy a keg and invite all your friends? Damn near anything would be better than a barska..

That is a good point...
Posted By: dale06 Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
There is a 4-12X leupold in the classifieds, it’s mine, and well within your budget.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Best $400 scope - 01/04/19
Used SWFA 3-9’s can be had for just a bit more than $400, less than most of the 3-15’s I’ve seen. And no side focus to mess with, etc.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Best $400 scope - 01/05/19
I just bought a Burris Veracity 3X15X50 for $699 and got a free FFII 4.5X14X40 free. Buy the Veracity and sell the other Burris. For me it will be a great 22LR scope as it has side focus so I'm going to keep it. It was on Ebay
Posted By: GreggH Re: Best $400 scope - 01/05/19
The gentleman in question seems to know little about optics, hence the original use of Barska, why suggest the
Super Sniper and it reticle? He would be better served with a set and forget scope of standard reticle. There is
no better scope for $400 than the Meopta deal Doug is offering right now.
GreggH
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Best $400 scope - 01/05/19
Originally Posted by GreggH
The gentleman in question seems to know little about optics, hence the original use of Barska, why suggest the
Super Sniper and it reticle? He would be better served with a set and forget scope of standard reticle. There is
no better scope for $400 than the Meopta deal Doug is offering right now.
GreggH

Yup.
Posted By: scottishkat Re: Best $400 scope - 01/05/19
The Meopta/Cabelas/Zeiss old Conquest are at least the equal of the VX3 glass with the bonus of constant eye relief through the power range. The only thing the Leupold has over the Meopta is weight and slightly more compact dimensions. I would try to find one in the 3-9x40 instead of the 3-5-10 or 3-9x42 etc. They have a little longer eye relief.

[/quote]
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I second the 3-9x40 Meopro. I think the Meopro 3.5-10x44/VX3i are great choices as well

I was so impressed by the value of the 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquests I purchased 5 of them 2 for family members everybody I know likes that scope. It is they Meopta Meopro with different knobs.

Good luck and shot straight all
Posted By: hanco Re: Best $400 scope - 01/05/19
You can get a Leupold VX III 4.5 x 14 CDS for right at 400.00
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
Re read the opening post, if he is not shooting over 300 yards a Weaver Gramd Slam 2-8x36 can be found on sale right now for >$200. Spend the rest on a good set of mounts, and a good supply of ammunition...and beer. Would be a slick little rig combined with that Mossberg.

Just say no to oversized optics.
Posted By: McSerpent Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
I love the weight and dimensions of the Leupold VX 3. The Ziess Conquest MC/ meopro line are bulky and that eyepiece is just butt ugly. HOWEVER, the glass quality is not even close IMO. That's why I sold my Leupolds and now have three Ziess Conquest MC and a Meopro.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
A friend wants me to help him buy"the best scope he has ever bought." His budget is about $400.
His current scope is a Barska 4-12X56. Weight won't matter and he won't be shooting over 300 yards.

Right now I'm thinking Meopta 3-9X50. Any better suggestions?

What would you buy for yourself at that budget number? Its obvious he trusts your judgment and is looking for you to lead him to a good scope. I suspect anything you recommend will be the best he's ever had.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
If he can own a Barska.............barrfff............ cry

this Sig for $180 shipped might work

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig...adplex-illuminated-reticle-sow33107.html
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
SWFA,,

Not knowing the conditions, terrain, style of hunting he does it is hard to recommend a 6x vs 10X. That said, if he can swing a 3-15 he would be very well set.

I would take a used 3-15 SWFA, FFP or FFP before a new Leupold vx3,2,1 .
Posted By: catch_22 Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Re read the opening post, if he is not shooting over 300 yards a Weaver Gramd Slam 2-8x36 can be found on sale right now for >$200. Spend the rest on a good set of mounts, and a good supply of ammunition...and beer. Would be a slick little rig combined with that Mossberg.

This is some solid advice, the 2-8×36 Grand Slam is worth a look (Natches for $189.00).
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
Originally Posted by catch_22

This is some solid advice, the 2-8×36 Grand Slam is worth a look (Natches for $189.00).

Something I might choose but it might be a hard sell from 56,mm to 36.

Natches won't sell to us anyway so fugg them.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19

This would be my pick and allow some funds for a solid mounting system. I see a few posts indicating other scopes are the equal of this, so why not go with the Leupold? I am guessing your pard won't like FFP scope and agree with Steelhead on him thinking dials might make him a long range killer. In addition to scope advise, you need to take him shooting some to evaluate equipment and ability.
Posted By: memtb Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
A nice, used Leupold! Even “if” is has an issue.....it has a lifetime warranty, which transfers to the new owner! memtb
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
Originally Posted by memtb
A nice, used Leupold! Even “if” is has an issue.....it has a lifetime warranty, which transfers to the new owner! memtb

Well, it's a LITTLE better than a barfsky! grin
Posted By: memtb Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by memtb

Well, it's a LITTLE better than a barfsky! grin

Yep.....just a little! smile memtb
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19

A 36mm with good glass will wipe the floor with a 56mm Barska every day of the week and twice on Sunday for good measure. I'd take that bet side by side with a Made in Japan Weaver(Classic or Grand Slam) and win EVERY TIME.

They are $250 on Amazon if you don't like Natches.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
We just got in the
Sig Sauer WHISKEY3 SCOPE 3-9X40MM - 1" - SFP - TRIPLEX ILLUM RETICLE - 0.25 MOA ADJ
which we are blowing out for only $199.99. This would be a great option for him
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19

A 36mm with good glass will wipe the floor with a 56mm Barska every day of the week and twice on Sunday for good measure. I'd take that bet side by side with a Made in Japan Weaver(Classic or Grand Slam) and win EVERY TIME.

They are $250 on Amazon if you don't like Natches.
I'd tell him to get a Weaver too. But what do I know, I've only been killin shyt with Weaver scopes for 45 years with nary a problem. The only possible issue is eye relief and whether or not you'd be able to mount a Weaver on that long action and have it be useable. That's about the only thing that keeps me from mounting Weavers on everything I own these days. Other than that, they have proven over time to be better overall than my Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell and Bausch & Lomb scopes.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19

I never considered buying something new of lesser quality at the same price if you can get a better scope that has been used. Here is one on the Campfire for $305.00 that I doubt you could go wrong with...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e-duplex-2014-model-reduced#Post13425716
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
Are you sure you want to be friends with this guy?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
For $400, meopta and be done.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
Originally Posted by SKane

That's what I'd do. smile

Not to forget....That scope goes for about $265/$275 on Ebay with coupon
Posted By: jhopkins Re: Best $400 scope - 01/06/19
Pretty sure there was one in the classifieds earlier for $265.
Posted By: patberg Re: Best $400 scope - 01/07/19
Leupold or Nikon. I don't think people give Nikon enough credit.
Posted By: SKane Re: Best $400 scope - 01/07/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Are you sure you want to be friends with this guy?

laugh laugh
Posted By: Dre Re: Best $400 scope - 01/08/19
I like my monarch over my vx 3.
Natchez has Nikon Monarch 5 Rifle Scope - 2-10x42mm ED Advanced BDC Reticle Matte for $299
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: Best $400 scope - 01/08/19
I’d take a Nikon any day over a loserpold.
Posted By: sdbrown3 Re: Best $400 scope - 01/08/19
Sightron STAC 3-16x42 with MOA-2 reticle on opticsplanet for $250.... got one a month ago and ordered another. Really good features and glass for $250
Posted By: woodson Re: Best $400 scope - 01/08/19
Find a used Sightron Big Sky. Excellent glass, tracks true, returns to zero and holds its zero. A patient man can find a deal.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Best $400 scope - 01/09/19
A Leupold vx-iii , vx3 4.5-14x40
© 24hourcampfire