Home
Posted By: 16bore Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
I'm assuming some sort of zero stop?

[img]https://cdnp.leupold.com/content/imageMatrix/CDS_ZL_Dial.png?mtime=20181018104325[/img]

Posted By: ammoman16 Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
You can get a second revolution of the turret by depressing the button. They've been that way for some time.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
Interesting, hadn't seen that. Mine was old school. Saw they finally made a dial you can read too.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
be nice if they tightened them up so they wouldn't spin so freely. I do have 1st gen cds tho.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
That was the issue I had with mine as well. Somebody had a knurled cap that looked decent.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
I believe on the VX5 and VX6, that button acts as a zero lock, you have to press it in to move the turret off your zero.
Posted By: ammoman16 Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
I think I may have mis spoke. It is a a zero lock button, but it allows for 2 full rotations of the turret. On the first turn it will be flush with the turret (as it is when you depress it. On the second turn it will automatically recess into the turret, giving you a visual indication as to which turn you're on.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I believe on the VX5 and VX6, that button acts as a zero lock, you have to press it in to move the turret off your zero.

That's what I was hoping it was.
Posted By: prm Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
Not all CDS have that.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
I have one on a VX-3i 2.5-8 that is a one-turn with the lock, got it through the Custom Shop. You get about 14 MOA, which is enough for what I'd use that scope for.

You can see it here, but not in great detail. (Notice the dry conditions we suffered this year.) I also have a 2-10x42 VX-5HD with a lock and two turns...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
Hey Vic, are you duck hunting with a rifle?
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
My brother and a pard came out to hunt mule deer here in CO this past season. They were both running VX6 3-18s with the Wind-Plex and those 2-rev CDS dials with the zero-lock... they were pretty impressive pieces of glass, and tracked well shooting rocks out to 900 or so. I liked all the features, and they’re pretty light. I can buy them at 1/2 of retail.... but I’m still rather dubious about their durability... they’re still a new Leupold.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/08/19
Originally Posted by Sako76
Hey Vic, are you duck hunting with a rifle?

That may explain that string of misses...(grin). That land is normally dry, but deer will still come through there, skirting the edge of the thick stuff seen on the other side of the water. We don't run dogs, but when adjoining properties do, I rake up on "squirters" at that stand. It's a narrow spit of hardwoods that connects two larger wooded areas...a perfect funnel.
I've always hunted with Leupold and really like them. I'm patiently waiting for someone to tell me that that a Leupold 30mm scope is gtg for dialing. I'm suffering through the handful of Leupold 6x42's I have left.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
My brother and a pard came out to hunt mule deer here in CO this past season. They were both running VX6 3-18s with the Wind-Plex and those 2-rev CDS dials with the zero-lock... they were pretty impressive pieces of glass, and tracked well shooting rocks out to 900 or so. I liked all the features, and they’re pretty light. I can buy them at 1/2 of retail.... but I’m still rather dubious about their durability... they’re still a new Leupold.

I have a couple VX6 3-18’s that sat up top on my 300 ultra and Wby for several years, combined seeing a few hundred rounds. I had no issues with either. Figured the Leupold clock was against me, changed one out for an LRSHi. VX6 Glass is very nice. I haven’t seen the “HD” glass offering yet. Curious how much it improved the straight VX6 glass. 😎
Posted By: 16bore Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've always hunted with Leupold and really like them. I'm patiently waiting for someone to tell me that that a Leupold 30mm scope is gtg for dialing. I'm suffering through the handful of Leupold 6x42's I have left.

Can't say 6x42's are much suffering....
Posted By: Calvin Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/09/19
They are when you go to sight in your rifle and you want to throw it off a cliff because the windage NEVER tracks properly. I've killed a pile of animals with them but they have got to get the tracking figured out. None of that "dial past it" BS you hear.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/09/19
1st gen CDS was loose as Madonna. Caused me a miss on a cow elk. Next gens much tighter, vx2, vx3i, vx5. Haven't played with 6HD but I'm sure its the same as the 5. That button actually locks the dial, you can't turn it unless you push it in.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/09/19
was loose as Madonna.

Is the barreled action staying in the stock or does it fall out?
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/09/19
Exactly!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/11/19
Through the floorplate......
16bore,

That looks like one of our ZeroLock dials. We offer a 2-turn (38MOA) ZL adjustment on all of the VX-6HDs, and most of the VX-5HDs. The tactical M5C3, M1C3, and M5C2 (Any with "C" as the third character) adjustments on the Mark 5, Mark 6, and Mark 8 scopes are very similar to this as well.

We can also install a single turn ZL adjustment on most VX-Freedoms, VX-Rs, and VX-3is as a Custom Shop exclusive; just like Vic in VA got. For more info on that, contact our Custom Shop at 1-888-629-4811 7am-3:30pm PST, M-F, or by email at [email protected].
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/11/19

LOL.

The VX-III/VX-3 30mm always were GTG if they were properly mounted on a good rifle.

The VX-3i 30mm are GTG for dialing.

The VX-5s are GTG for dialing.

The VX-6s are GTG for dialing.

All you had to do was ask. grin
Posted By: peeshooter Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/11/19
I concur on the VX-5HD as I have 2 of those in use. Looks like the VX-Freedom is tracking well too!
Posted By: 16bore Re: Did CDS grow a nipple? - 01/12/19
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

LOL.

The VX-III/VX-3 30mm always were GTG if they were properly mounted on a good rifle.

The VX-3i 30mm are GTG for dialing.

The VX-5s are GTG for dialing.

The VX-6s are GTG for dialing.

All you had to do was ask. grin

You sure? Me and my pards puke them all the time....hint
© 24hourcampfire