Home
Posted By: RICKMELEAR Tikka mount - 02/10/19
I recently purchased a Tikka T3x in .270. I’m about to receive a Zeiss V4 3-12X56 scope. Need some suggestions on a mount. Like the idea of a Warne that fits the Tikka dovetail but I’m not sure it will give me enough adjustment. Any suggestions from users is appreciated.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
There's a very informative thread on Tikka mounts in the rifle forum. It may be on page 5 or 6 by now, but worth the search... Personally, I'd go Leupold dual dovetails myself, but there are a lot of options.. However, since that is a 30mm tube, the popular way to go is the sportsmatch.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
I bought a pair of Warne's a couple weeks ago when I was home and put on my Tikka T3. I am happy with them, and got them off Amazon for a good price as well. Granted my are 1" rings, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 30mm Warne rings either.
Posted By: spence1875 Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
I tried the new Burris tikka dovetail mounts. Very nice and have a recoil stop. I was using meds 30mm with 50mm objective, think the 56 might make or get high.

Sport match rings are nice as well.
Posted By: Bater Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
All my Tikkas wear Talley LW’s and I wouldn’t change a thing.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
I'd go with Sportsmatch or Burris Tikka rings if mounting directly to the dovetail.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
Direct to the dovetail makes the most sense, as wareagle700 said. Warne's and SM's are great.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
I just installed a 12x SS in a set of the SportsMatch rings on a Tikka.... I’m impressed with them, and I think they’re the only way I’ll go for 30mm scopes on Tikkas. The 13mm ring height works well on scopes with 40-42mm objectives, for the 56mm I’d probably go with the 17mm height.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
I’ve got 2 Tikka’s both wearing DNZ 1 piece rings/base. Solid as a rock.

Randall
Posted By: Shane431 Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
I’ve used the DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece mounts with luck. I actually have a 30mm 0 Moa mount for sale. PM me if interested
Originally Posted by spence1875
I tried the new Burris tikka dovetail mounts. Very nice and have a recoil stop. I was using meds 30mm with 50mm objective, think the 56 might make or get high.

Sport match rings are nice as well.

Post a pic of those Burris rings please. They sound interesting..
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Direct to the dovetail makes the most sense, as wareagle700 said. Warne's and SM's are great.

You are off your fu cking rocker lately man. To say they make the most sense is arbitrary at best. People have been using the bolt on mounts for damn near 100 years now. Back in the day, most 22lr's had dovetail mounting systems, but you don't see a whole hell of a lot or manufactures using them anymore. Why is that, if they are the best and make the most sense? For fu cks sake, some of these ideas are never not funny... Tikka is cool, because they offer 2 options. Use what you want and quit spouting off stupid chit...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You are off your fu cking rocker lately man. To say they make the most sense is arbitrary at best. People have been using the bolt on mounts for damn near 100 years now. Back in the day, most 22lr's had dovetail mounting systems, but you don't see a whole hell of a lot or manufactures using them anymore. Why is that, if they are the best and make the most sense? For fu cks sake, some of these ideas are never not funny... Tikka is cool, because they offer 2 options. Use what you want and quit spouting off stupid chit...

Not surprised at the chilidish response from you.

Unlike you, I speak from having lots of Tikka experience. I've been shooting Tikkas for over 20 years, and have used Optilocks, the Tikka rings that came with the T3, modified Talley's, Warne, and SM. Mounting directly to the dovetail is ticket, IMO anyway.

Don't you have some paper to go punch, or post up some more targets? Never seen you with a dead animal come to think of it.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
Yeah.... dismissing the bases all together does’t make any sense at all....

I know it’s never a good idea to eliminate opportunities for mechanical failure.

Ultimately.... they do “make the most sense”. You’re clamping the ring to something that has absolutely no chance of moving: the receiver. No other system that uses “bases”, including Talleys, can say that.

That’s not to say that the other options aren’t viable... or even necessary sometimes..... just that the less moving parts, the better.
Posted By: SLM Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
Don't you have some paper to go punch, or post up some more targets? Never seen you with a dead animal come to think of it.

Pretty sure you never will either.

He gets a little sensitive when asked to post pics of himself with a dead animal.
He's a paper killing machine though, gotta give him credit for that.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Tikka mount - 02/10/19
I can see having an affection towards one mount or another but after owning over a dozen different Tikkas I can’t say that any one mount worked better than the next, from rails to Talleys. I know we have gone full tactical with most chit but has anyone really had one system fail over another? With the exception of guys like Big Stick living in the land of salt and corrosion and chit just plain rusting out I haven’t seen any evidence of any one mount being a weakness. Sans the soft screws on the original Tikka mounts even they worked well once quality screws were installed.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Tikka mount - 02/11/19
Any USA source for Sportsmatch other than Ebay with overseas shipping? The airgun dealer listed in Arizona as a source doesn't seem to list the Tikka rings on the site.

Other rifle makers stopped doing dovetails and bridges because of cost. Heck of a lot cheaper to drill and tap 4 holes.
But, since it is there on the Tikka, no reason not to use it.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Tikka mount - 02/11/19
Other threads list the direct site, non-Ebay to get some Sportsmatch. Only sources known that makes the most sense. LOL

Tried to Google but typed sortsmatch 084 and this came up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka mount - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I can see having an affection towards one mount or another but after owning over a dozen different Tikkas I can’t say that any one mount worked better than the next, from rails to Talleys. I know we have gone full tactical with most chit but has anyone really had one system fail over another? With the exception of guys like Big Stick living in the land of salt and corrosion and chit just plain rusting out I haven’t seen any evidence of any one mount being a weakness. Sans the soft screws on the original Tikka mounts even they worked well once quality screws were installed.

+1
Posted By: Northman Re: Tikka mount - 02/11/19
I only use and own rifles with integral mounting, like the Tikkas, Sako, certain M98 actions and the like.

The cheap ass manufacturers that made "improvements" on their actions, by machining them round on top and having to mount scopes by tiny screws does not even deserve my money!
Posted By: whitearrow Re: Tikka mount - 02/11/19
guess I'm the only renegade that uses the warne 1 piece weaver rail and burris sig zees then. I have this setup on (3) T3's and have no issues. I personally like the thought of screws holding vs a couple clamps. by the way OP I have the exact same scope you are receiving mounted with burris sig zee highs.
Big Ed
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Tikka mount - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by Northman
I only use and own rifles with integral mounting, like the Tikkas, Sako, certain M98 actions and the like.

The cheap ass manufacturers that made "improvements" on their actions, by machining them round on top and having to mount scopes by tiny screws does not even deserve my money!

I like the integral rail on the Tikka. Unobtrusive, and Tikka still provides tapped holes that allow a full range of other options to suit a particular need.

But it would be REALLY nice if they chose to support their product by offering a range of ringmounts in standard heights to mount to the integral rail (their Optilock base/ring offering is a heavy weight abortion, and offers zero compared to many other available mounts).

I have owned my last Sako. Primarily due to the ejection problem, but also due to their limited and inflexible scope mounting options. Their system sucks, and they barely support it any better than Tikka does.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Tikka mount - 02/12/19
I have Burris Signature Zee rings with the two piece Burris Extreme Tactical bases clamping a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 to my T3 .260 Rem-moor.

I like the looks of the Sportsmatch however.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tikka mount - 02/12/19
Interesting some people's take on the OptiLocks. I've had a set on a Tikka 695 7mag for over 20 years now and it's rock solid.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka mount - 03/09/19
Interesting some people's take on the OptiLocks. I've had a set on a Tikka 695 7mag for over 20 years now and it's rock solid.

Not 20 years but about 4 years on a 06 Sako 75 , never ever an issue.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Tikka mount - 03/10/19
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I just installed a 12x SS in a set of the SportsMatch rings on a Tikka.... I’m impressed with them, and I think they’re the only way I’ll go for 30mm scopes on Tikkas. The 13mm ring height works well on scopes with 40-42mm objectives, for the 56mm I’d probably go with the 17mm height.

Are the SportsMatch rings you suggested for 40-42mm obj. mounted to the receiver or a picatinny rail?
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Tikka mount - 03/10/19
Originally Posted by Remington280
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Are the SportsMatch rings you suggested for 40-42mm obj. mounted to the receiver or a picatinny rail?

Mounted straight to the receiver....

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire