Home
Posted By: MLC Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
Looking for the best Rimfire squirrel hunting scope. What do you got? I don't mind spending for the best.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
I don't know what the best is but I've got an old 4x Bushnell Banner rimfire and a 2-7x32 Nikon Pro-Staff on my two favorite squirrel rigs. Given the fact that I've averaged 80-100 squirrels a season with those rifles for many years I'd have to say they're good enough.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
Which rimfire? At what ranges? AO or not? What light conditions (illuminated or not)?
Posted By: Circles Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
I do a lot of squirrel hunting, but it's all with dogs so that affects my gear choices.

I've been very happy with a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 that I had the custom shop bring the parallax down to 50 yards and put a CDS dial on the elevation. Before that scope I used a VX-2 2-7x28 ultralite, also modified by the custom shop in the same way. The rifle gets carried a lot, not mistreated but not babied either. Both scopes held zero just fine through all kinds of adventure.

I've got a Clearidge 3-9x32 RM that I'm messing with. It's got turrets that have tracked consistently, but the optics aren't as clear as the Leupolds.

I'm really interested in Leupold's T-MOA reticle and Rimfire MOA reticles. I think those would be great with an AO scope that tops out around 12 or 14 power.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
I'd like to know more about the Leupold Rimfire MOA reticle. I presume its on their website?
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
The past several years I've been using a 6x42 SWFA on my favorite 22 rf. It's a larger scope but I really like it for squirrels and targets. A 25 yard zero, a range finder, and good dope can make things really interesting on squirrels. It's excellent practice dialing drops (yardages that would be considered short for big game), setting up the shots, and hitting the small game. Not that everyone wants to hunt squirrels that way, and it's easy enough to stalk a bit more and not dial, but it gives options.

I need to try to get a couple of trips in before the season ends......
Posted By: Oldschool65 Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
Weaver rv7
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
The Leupold 2-7x33 rimfire is pretty decent for the money. I've had 4-5 of them and no problems with them loosing zero, great for a squirrel gun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: warpig602 Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
I have a VXII 2-7 with CDS on mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
By far the best Ive found for a .22 Rimfire is a Burris FFII 3x9 with Ballistic plex.

By far...
Originally Posted by ingwe
By far the best Ive found for a .22 Rimfire is a Burris FFII 3x9 with Ballistic plex.

By far...

Hmmm... I just got one of those for something else. What velocity ammo do you use and how do the hash marks correspond to your bullet drops?
Originally Posted by wareagle700
The Leupold 2-7x33 rimfire is pretty decent for the money. I've had 4-5 of them and no problems with them loosing zero, great for a squirrel gun.

[Linked Image]

I've used one of those too and I agree it's a good scope. But the 2-7x33 was noticeably brighter to my eyes and I prefer the regular duplex for hunting.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
Ive been using the Nikon rimfire for about 5-6 years now and I like it just fine. I’m not a big fan of the BDC, but it does work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
I have a Leupold rimfire 4x with the turkey plex and it's perfect for me. I zero at 35 yards.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/17/19
The best AP scope I've used on a .22 was the Leupold Rimfire 3-9 EFR, but I can see where one with a reticle featuring hash marks would be very useful. The .22 I have in the pipe will get a SWFA 6x42. I suspect it will serve very well for most purposes.

For closer ranges, a 4x or 2-7 would be just fine too, and easy to carry around.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by Circles

By far...

Hmmm... I just got one of those for something else. What velocity ammo do you use and how do the hash marks correspond to your bullet drops?

CCI mini mag hollow points.... it'll tell you how the dots line up in the manual but IIRC its spot on at 50 yds, then 75, then 100, then 125...didnt matter after that point.

Worked like a charm...
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/18/19
I like the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR. Magnification for small targets. EFR for parallax free, again for small targets. Smaller diameter ocular (eyepiece) allows the lowest rings Ruger makes to be used on M77/22 and still clear the bolt. Smaller diameter ocular may help with CZ bolt clearance, but I have no experience with that.

All that said, I'm putting together a 10/22 heavy barrel with a target stock for playing at longer ranges. It will get a SWFA 10x mil-quad. But for a lighter, more general purpose .22, I like the Leupold.
I've used several different scopes on rimfires, and the favorite has been the Leupold 2-7x 33mm. Woods can be thick here in Alabama, so 2-3 power on the low end can be helpful, and 7 on the top is adequate for most of longer opportunities. Hunting in more open spaces would like more magnification.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/18/19
The Weaver V16 on a heavy contour barreled rifle like my Anschutz 1502.

The Leupold 3-9x33AO EFR on a light contour barreled rifle like my Remington 504.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/18/19

This seems to work fine for head shooting rabbits.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Easy enough to pick up on ebay and are axcellent optics.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/18/19
I kept it simple with a Leupold 4x and adjusted the parallax for 35 yards. Ballistic reticles are great for longer shots on ground squirrels but I haven't shot any tree squirrels at 75 or 100 yards.
Posted By: Circles Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by Circles

By far...

CCI mini mag hollow points.... it'll tell you how the dots line up in the manual but IIRC its spot on at 50 yds, then 75, then 100, then 125...didnt matter after that point.

Worked like a charm...

Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/18/19
How about a Meopta MeoPro 3-9x40 #598360 50 Yards Muzzleloader/Rimfire?
Posted By: MLC Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/27/19
Went with the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire. 50 yard parallax. Very nice scope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: whitearrow Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/27/19
i just put one of the new leupold vx-freedom 3-9x33mm efr scope into a set of medium burris signature rimfire rings on my 8yo sons cz 455 scout and like it alot. i prefer the looks of the older vx-2 3-9x33mm efr scope but its no longer in production AND i got a really good,less than $230 shipped,price on the vx-freedom so i gave it a shot. or you can take whatever centerfire scope you have laying around that you like and rimfirerize it to be parallax fre at 50yds. i just did that to (2) leupold vx-3 4.5-14x50mm scopes i had layng around to put on a couple cz rimfires.
good luck,
Big Ed
Posted By: centershot Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/27/19
I'm a big fan of the Nikon 3-9x40AO Target EFR on rimfires. Super optics, AO, nice fine cross hair for fine aiming. ~$175. Excellent rimfire/airgun scopes.
Posted By: MLC Re: Rimfire scope hunting - 02/28/19
I got the Vortex Rimfire for $166.32 shipped.
© 24hourcampfire