Home
I'm looking to scope a NULA 30-06 with a light weight tweener. I can buy both of the above for about the same price. I was going to get the Leupy but saw the SWFA and it has impressive Spec's. Better FOV, lighter weight and greater magnification range. The Leupy has better eye relief. Anyone have experience with these scopes?
If you've seen the eye relief specs on that SS scope you'll mark it off the list pronto, especially on a lightweight kicker.
I have both, and the swfa would not go on a nula in 30/06 for the reason above.
As much as I like the SS Ultralight, I would be hesitant to put it on a kicker. It is durable enough, but eye relief is a bit short.

Leupold 2.5-8x36 is a good option. I would also look at Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32. You can pick one up for about $500 right now and while it is a little bit more money, it is a very nice scope.

ILya
I was looking at Vortex but they seem to be getting a lot of bad reviews on the Campfire lately.
Originally Posted by AdkHunter
I was looking at Vortex but they seem to be getting a lot of bad reviews on the Campfire lately.

Razor HD LH?

Where?

ILya
Not that particular scope. Vortex in general.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13601253/1
On that gun go with the leupy, or the vortex razor 1.5-8x32. It's one vortex you shouldn't have to worry about.
That VX3i is a good scope and for $318 price match on Bud’s you just can’t go wrong

Vortex makes a broad range of products manufactured by different OEMs. And they are by far the largest company in the sportoptics world right now. Given how much product they ship, there are bound to be people who have issues with some of them and take it personally. They are usually the ones who yell much louder than satisfied customers.

I would not get the Crossfire or Strike Eagle. Diamondback is quite decent. PST Gen 2 has exceeded my expectations, so far (especially the 3-15x44). PST Gen 1 and HST I was mostly not that crazy about (a couple of models excepted). Razors of all flavors have been uniformly good.

ILya
Originally Posted by koshkin

Vortex makes a broad range of products manufactured by different OEMs. And they are by far the largest company in the sportoptics world right now. Given how much product they ship, there are bound to be people who have issues with some of them and take it personally. They are usually the ones who yell much louder than satisfied customers.

I would not get the Crossfire or Strike Eagle. Diamondback is quite decent. PST Gen 2 has exceeded my expectations, so far (especially the 3-15x44). PST Gen 1 and HST I was mostly not that crazy about (a couple of models excepted). Razors of all flavors have been uniformly good.

ILya

All you have to do is PM Formid about all of those Vortex scopes and see what he has to say. Your definition of good may not necessarily be his. Not slammin' your rec, but his carries lots of weight around here, for numerous reasons.

I've never used a Razor rifle scope, but I had hunters in camp for almost 15 years before we quit guiding. I never saw the first Vortex anything enter camp. There's always something as good or better for equal or less money.
There are haters for every brand but I figure you can’t stay in business since 1906 by selling only snake oil. Hell, I think only Bayer aspirin has been around longer.

[Linked Image]

Nikon was founded 1917 and Miroku Winchester is even made in Japan and is good stuff
I used a Leupold 2.5-8x36 and the Duplex reticle as a "set & forget" scope for over 20 years on a .338 Winny and put it on a 338-06 for my grandson, very fond of that old scope. My current version is the VX3i model with a Duplex and CDS turret that I have yet to send in for. If I had it to do over it would of came with the B&C reticle. Mine is on a little Husky 30-06 1640 version and the bare rifle is well under 7 pounds, so the scope matches up perfectly with the rifle.

Weight, eye relief and ability to transmit light are very good.
I vote Leupold but I'm prejudice. Eye relief Trumps all that other. The VX-3i is Clear and Bright and it's very light.

Also, Leupold has a great lifetime warranty.
I have 3-9 Leupold ultralight VX two on 7 stw in a rem 700 BDLM that weighs right at eight pounds never had problem with eye relieve or holding zero best scope made no thrills just plan works
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I have both, and the swfa would not go on a nula in 30/06 for the reason above.

Same here.
I have a VX-3i 2.5-8x36 on my 308win Browning AB3. I use low integral Talley rings for mounting. I notice that eye relief is significantly less at high magnification than low magnification, but it still worked great for me after I trimmed my stock to fit my body well. I have about 560 rounds thru this weapon after about a year of use, and never had any problem obtaining and holding zero. I never have any eye strain looking thru that scope, it works well in twilight conditions, and I think it has great field of view for a 1-inch diameter scope tube. If I had to do it all over again, I might choose a more expensive 30mm scope like Leupold VX-5, but what I have works well. Good luck to you with whatever you choose!
Thanks everyone. I,m still weighing my options but leaning toward the Leupy. I just wish it had a little more FOV on the bottom end for the thick northern woods where I live.
Thanks everyone. I,m still weighing my options but leaning toward the Leupy. I just wish it had a little more FOV on the bottom end for the thick northern woods where I live.

I use one in this, no problem.

[Linked Image]
Not either scope you mentioned, but close to the Leupold 2.5 x 8....

In my MN days, I use to hunt the north woods of both MN and Wisconsin,
both heavy woods and thick cover in swamps with a Leupold 2 x 7 Shotgun scope on top
of an 06.....

I use to leave it on the 2 power, and I was never handicapped with lack of Field of View
and those heavy shot gun cross hairs sure never handicapped you at all either....

Took several deer shooting across a swamp, at 250 yd range with the scope on 2x, and was
not handicapped on those shots either with that low of a power...

After seeing the FOV in my 2 x 7, I had friends that still had to have the 2.5 x 8, Vari X 3.. I think if
nothing else as a status symbol over the Vx 2....but they ordered or had the reticles changed to the
heavy duplex of the shotgun scope.....

Those 1.5 x 5 with the fire dot, I've seen some amazing shots taken with one of those by one of our
campfire members at a campfire gathering....no FOV issues that at all....put that dot on your target and pull
the trigger....

upper end magnification is over rated from what I've seen guys with low power scopes do...

yet this from a guy who has 4 x 16 scopes on several rifles.... yet for deer hunting, most whatever
rifle I use or what ever scope is on top.... it seems to live most of its life on 3 or 4 power...5X when I need to see something way out there...

just passing on some field observations of mine at least.. that's worth what ya paid for it...
Originally Posted by Seafire
I use to leave it on the 2 power, and I was never handicapped with lack of Field of View
and those heavy shot gun cross hairs sure never handicapped you at all either....

Took several deer shooting across a swamp, at 250 yd range with the scope on 2x, and was
not handicapped on those shots either with that low of a power...

I agree with that. I have two of Leupold's 1.75-6x VX3i. I had a heavy duplex put in one and left the other with the standard duplex. I used the HD on my MRC for a while, then switched it for the other one. Even in low light I don't lose the standard reticle. But outside of testing several different loads, neither of them were often off the 1.75x setting. Granted, most of my hunting is done at ranges less than 100 yards, and I find that 1.75x is plenty of magnification. As always YMMV, but the lower power scopes work for me.
I'm not a fan of the 2.5-8 Leupold. The weight and mag range are good but the rest leaves me unimpressed. I know they are the best set and forget hunting scope in existence to many here but that hasn't been my experience. I haven't tried the SWFA UL yet but the eye relief concerns me. For a light scope, I'd be looking at a Z3 3-9. For light-ish scope at a lower cost, I've been very impressed with the Razor LH 1.5-8. They can be had for just a hair over $400. For me there is no comparison between it and the Leupold 2.5-8. The image, eye relief, eye box, reticle, and adjustments are all better in the Vortex.

Vortex quality in the scopes starts at the Razor line. I won't own one lesser, but the Razors are G2G.

No problems here, though when I do use my .45-70 here, it has a 1.5-5 VX-3i on it.

[Linked Image]
Looks a-bit wet.

Having some fun in a tree.
That's how much rain we got this year. That area is normally dry, and it obviously doesn't drain well, but I kill a deer or two there every year. It's a natural funnel
I would not use the SWFA on a 30-06. I have one, and like it for what it is. It is not for rifles with recoil. 223, 243, etc., it’s a neat scope.
The field of view in a 2 1/2 X 8 Leupold VX-3i is about 37.5' @ 100 yds at the bottom magnification. How much field of view do you think you require?

IMHO field of view is way down on the list of priorities in selecting a scope. I've done a lot of hunting in the thick stuff & w/ various scopes that have a max FOV of around 30' to 40' @100 yds & lack of FOV has never been an issue on shots either standing or running no matter how close.
Having more FOV just makes the job easier for me.

I have rifles with 3 to 3.5 on the bottom, it's never cost me a deer, I just like more FOV.
If you like lots of fov, the 1.5-8 Razor has 72 ft of it at 100 yds.
Leupold 1-4X20 has about that amount, too.

I've used it on several woods rifles.

You can pick up a moving deer, look ahead for a hole, then pop him when he get there. smile.

I bet the Razor has some nice glass. How is it at 6 to 8 power?
It's very good glass. The view is nice across the mag range. I'm able to use 3" dots as targets at 500 yds, which isn't bad for an 8x scope.
Hmmm. I'm assuming 30mm tube, I'll check it out, and it sounds useful and interesting.
The LH's are 1" tubes. Amazon has them for around $405 right now.
You're making this hard.....must resist......
Ditto on the Leupold 2-7 Shotgun/ML Scope. I've had a few and they're great hunting scopes. Sometimes we let what works best for long range or bench shooting influence us too much when we choose scopes (and guns) for hunting. Hunting comes down to being able to see and hit a pretty large target, often pretty close-up if we're whitetail hunters, and quickly, because the deer are often in spots like the one in Vic's picture, and moving.

Another good one I've actually used is the 3-series 1.5-5. Mine was an old one circa 1980, but it was nearly an ideal scope for the woods, with enough Xs for open fields too. I keep my scopes set on Low, but like having some power on tap for when it's an advantage. Now, I might spring for the VX-5 HD version, based on positive results with a 2-10.
Well I found out what SWFA means but do they actually make their own scopes or does some famous scope maker do it for them and put their name on 'em?
I believe you'll find that a large optical contractor builds them to spec... just like most scope "manufacturers".
Well, I found a new Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 for $367.00 and took a chance and ordered it. Once I have it I will post my thoughts. I have 30 days to return it if I don't like it.
ADK,

Where did you find the Vortex razor for $367?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Aviator
ADK,

Where did you find the Vortex razor for $367?

Thanks

$368 on Amazon with prime shipping right now. The 2-10x40 is $458.
I had a Razor 1.5-8 come apart on me when being used on a snappy recoiling 84M in 338 Fed. Something came apart internally. A one time deal, or a lack of engineering I don’t know. They sent me a new one stating a screw came out and damaged the erector system and could not be repaired. Having said that, I think it’s the best combination of weight, zoom, reticle and glass I’ve used. I have not tried anything ‘nicer’ than a Nightforce SHV. I may use the Razor on a slightly heavier 6.5CM that I still use in the mountains. If Vortex could convince me this was a one time deal and that they have a relatively bomb proof erector system and scope design I’d put them on all my rifles. Note: the number one criteria for a scope is that it reliably point the rifle. I still need to be convinvinced of that... As for dialing, the very first shot I dialed it was a bit off. The many subsequent times I shot groups dialing ~11 MOA between each shot for multiple groups it was perfect. Vortex, if you read this, convince me of the ruggedness of the HD LH scopes, or design a ruggedized version. You got the rest right.

Edit: of the options in the title I’d go with the Leupold hands down for a 30-06.
© 24hourcampfire