Home
Posted By: boatanchor I Got tricked - 03/15/19
I have heard of counterfeit Leupold's but thought it would never happen to me.
I bought a Leupold on-line for a great deal (I thought), when I opened the box a few things stuck out to me. The power dial had the numbers on the front side of the ring instead of the back and went from 4.5 to 14 in the opposite direction of any of my other Leupold's. On the Gold ring inscription it looked pretty good except the lettering was white instead of black. when I took off the windage and elevation caps....no no no those are not Leupy dial's.
I have an identical scope (in theory) but the new one is 3/4" longer, the final straw was looking through it. the glass is green!!!!!!!!

I called Leupold and gave them the serial#, they said they have seen several counterfeit's with the same number, a number Leupold has never used.

I guess tomorrow we will see if it is a full refund or possible property damage.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Was it an Ebay purchase?
Posted By: boatanchor Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Yes it was, I have got a few great deals over the years there but I'm done with them now
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Sorry you got taken and hope you get a refund. Stick to known dealers of scopes (SWFA/Brownell's/et al) or members here on this forum and you won't go wrong. Leupold makes it easy with a list of authorized dealers:

https://www.leupold.com/locator
Posted By: hanco Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
I hope you get your money back.
Posted By: WAM Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
The non-counterfeit ones not much better these days.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Link to the ad? So we can tell you how bad it was... Or learn from it. smile
Posted By: old_willys Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Was a time when if you setup ebay to only display US sellers you were safe BUT now US based sellers are getting in it.
Posted By: nuguy Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
eBay will get your money back but you have to go to resolution page and open a case. If seller refuses to refund your money after messaging them after a few days etc... eBay will make a judgement on the case and every one of them I’ve had to open ruled in my favor and refunded my money. It’s just a hassle but better than losing your money.
Posted By: cleanbarrel Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Don't forget to mention in your feedback that this guys scopes are fakes.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I bought a Leupold on-line for a great deal (I thought), when I opened the box a few things stuck out to me. The power dial had the numbers on the front side of the ring instead of the back and went from 4.5 to 14 in the opposite direction of any of my other Leupold's. On the Gold ring inscription it looked pretty good except the lettering was white instead of black. when I took off the windage and elevation caps....no no no those are not Leupy dial's.
I have an identical scope (in theory) but the new one is 3/4" longer, the final straw was looking through it. the glass is green!!!!!!!!

I called Leupold and gave them the serial#, they said they have seen several counterfeit's with the same number, a number Leupold has never used.

I guess tomorrow we will see if it is a full refund or possible property damage.

Hope you get your money back. Be sure to leave negative feedback and explain why. This will help get rid of scammers via making other ebayers aware that they’re selling fakes! Good luck.
Posted By: oremi Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Sorry about that, i always asking for the serial number so i can check, be it leupold, nf, vortex.
Posted By: dragonfly Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Was this the Leupold 3xi that was supposed to be a smokin' black Friday deal that started a huge buying frensy hear on the forum?
Posted By: LowerRiver Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Just read an article in the local news rag about a guy that was importing these fake Leupolds and selling them on his website and on eBay. The postal inspectors and a bunch of different law enforcement agencies were involved. Sounded like he was looking at some jail time.

CulMar Outdoors was his business name.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Do they track better than the real Leupolds?
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by dragonfly
Was this the Leupold 3xi that was supposed to be a smokin' black Friday deal that started a huge buying frensy hear on the forum?

NO. As has been previously stated in several other threads, those deals were legit and from a long-time e-bayer with excellent feedback.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Boatanchor: Sorry to hear of the scam you got taken up in - good luck getting your refund.
Sad that ANYONE would be debase enough to take advantage of good honest people like I know you are!
By the way there is a 25% chance I will be doing the Billings, Montana gunshow on the weekend of the 13th and 14th of April.
Again sorry, and good luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: gunner500 Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
That known fraudulent fakers are "allowed" to operate on flea-bay tells me all I need to know, hope you get satisfactory recourse.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19
Originally Posted by cleanbarrel
Don't forget to mention in your feedback that this guys scopes are fakes.

I think if your deal gets refunded you can't leave feedback, no?

It's total bullchit Ebay is allowing...
Posted By: Highoctane Re: I Got tricked - 03/15/19

Sometimes those "good deals" wind up being really expensive... I quit Ebay several years ago....If you paid with Paypal, no friends and family, or a credit card you can get your money back. May be a pain in the rear end and take a few weeks but better than losing your money..
Posted By: boatanchor Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
Originally Posted by WAM
The non-counterfeit ones not much better these days.

Obviously you are a Leupold hater but believe me this thing is far worse than anything a reputable manufacturer could sell
So happy to get my money back today laugh laugh done with ebay!!!!!!!!!
From talking with the Rep from Leupold the 4.5X14X40 one inch tube model's are the most counterfeited , don't buy one on ebay
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
Glad you got your money back. Sucks to get duped.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
Glad that worked out for you.
Posted By: Oakster Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
I wonder why EBAY is still in business
1- anti gun, but still supported by hunters and shooters
2- allow known counterfit people to sell on their site, with no consequence
3- tied to PayPal, again, known anti gun group

It shouldn't take that many warnings.
Posted By: Darryle Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
Whats funny is Leupold says they can't do anything, but they can if they would just try.

Several yeras ago I tried to sell a pair of UGGs that the daughter bought and then decide she didn't like them, bought at Nordstrom, eBay kept cancelling the ad saying they were counterfeit per UGG, I had to email them a copy of the receipt where I purchased them and take a picture of their holographic logo to prove they were legit. Leupold could do the very same thing if they had the desire to actually protect their brand. I have some old old Leupolds, but nothing made in the last 15yrs, there are way better options.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19

eBay doesn’t have any redeeming value to the shooting industry, but when you want to find a rear peep sight for a Remington 14 1/2 you won’t find one anywhere else...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
Yup. I found a replacement handle for the old cistern pump that had belonged to my great uncle. That old pump survived decades on his farm, but not being hit by a Tundra.

Honestly, no one who buys current manufactured goods there at a ridiculous price should be surprised if they turn out to be fake, or hot, or somehow defective. Glad our boy got his money back and hope we all learned something, again.
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
I finally saw one on a marlin 30-30 at a gunshow in Jackson ms. Quick glance it looked real after a close look. UGH!!! So many things stood out scope adjustment dials lettering and turret caps Was a pretty good copy though.... man behind the table knew what he had. Didn't deny it. But was asking $700 bucks for the rig
Posted By: JSTUART Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19

Generally crooks con those who are greedy the easiest.

General rule of thumb...if it looks too good to be true, it is.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
don't sell those fakes so far short, they probably track better than the "real" leupolds
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Do they track better than the real Leupolds?

I’m sure they couldn’t be much worse.
WOW, you guys are hilarious grin
Posted By: deerstalker Re: I Got tricked - 03/21/19
i got a couple fake Leupolds ........ HERE on the classifieds. tell me what recourse i have here? ZIP
Posted By: LeupoldOptics Re: I Got tricked - 03/22/19
Hey all,

gonehuntin's got it exactly right: stick to authorized retailers for 100% security from these scammers. That said, we understand folks trying to get a good deal on used and discounted products, and it's a shame that these fake products have made the used market such a minefield (and not just on Leupolds). If you're looking at an eBay or other possibly-questionable seller, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-Leupold with the eBay auction number or the like. We've seen a ton of these ads and can likely weigh in one way or the other.

The good news is that our legal team, with cooperation from others in the industry, are going after these folks in every way we can and seeing some concrete progress. Hope this helps!
Posted By: EdM Re: I Got tricked - 03/23/19
Originally Posted by Oakster
I wonder why EBAY is still in business
1- anti gun, but still supported by hunters and shooters
2- allow known counterfit people to sell on their site, with no consequence
3- tied to PayPal, again, known anti gun group

It shouldn't take that many warnings.

Just guessing here but, perhaps, the hunter/shooter customer base is close to nil for them regarding sales revenue.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: I Got tricked - 03/23/19
If people who don't know would just educate themselves on what a real Leupold looks like, it's not hard to tell the difference. And if you can't see it don't buy it.

The serial number alone is all you need to know if it's real (thus far) I've yet to see a picture of a fake that had the prefix or suffix letter that dates the scope.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: I Got tricked - 03/23/19
Originally Posted by shrapnel

eBay doesn’t have any redeeming value to the shooting industry, but when you want to find a rear peep sight for a Remington 14 1/2 you won’t find one anywhere else...

If a shooter has something he wants to sell that another shooter wants to buy, but they are states apart, and eBay facilitates the deal, I'd have to call that value. That said, I do get your point, and fug em for the anti-gun things they do. So, I begrudgingly call it value.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: I Got tricked - 03/23/19

I bought motor mounts for my car off ebay. All 4 were only $70 shipped compared to $50+ for just one at rockauto.
Surprisingly the clunk on the passengers side that was there since I got the car new went away. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.
Posted By: pal Re: I Got tricked - 03/23/19
So happy to get my money back today laugh laugh done with ebay!!!!!!!!!...

Why eBay's fault? That is just wrong. You got your $ back. This blunder was on you for not recognizing a deal that was too good to be true.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: I Got tricked - 03/24/19
I'd be interested in seeing the ad. There are normally things that stick out. The vendor name is one. The writing in the ad is, shall I say clumsy. Most reputable dealers in the USA will give you a delivery date that's not too far out. If the they have a delivery window rather than a specific date or a date that is more than a week out, that's a red flag. Any Leupold coming from an overseas location would be a red flag. There's no guarantee with Ebay that an item listed in the USA is actually in the USA, but the delivery window I mentioned earlier is a good warning sign.

© 24hourcampfire