Home
Posted By: castnblast suggest a new scope for me - 04/03/19
I've been hunting with various Leupold scopes for years, and have been very satisfied with them. Leupold generally fits the price/performance window I'm looking for. But almost all the Leupold scopes I have or see for sale are equipped with the old style fine thread slow adjust focus system. My eyes are changing with age, and I need a more versatile quick focus system when I choose to hunt without glasses on - bad weather for instance. I need +2.5 diopters. So I need quick focus eyepiece. I also want low profile adjustment turrets, not the huge "tactical " style so popular today. 30mm tube vs 1" is not much of a difference, but I prefer 1". I like relatively small ocular bells to give better clearance for the operation of the bolt. Click adjustments are preferred but not required for my purposes. Good low light performance is a plus, but I don't want an objective bell larger than 40-42 mm. I like standard hunting reticles, Duplex, German #4 or even the old German #1. Won't buy a scope with range marks in the reticle. Don't want an exposed adjustment elevation turret. Power range of somewhere between 2-10x including 2-7 or 3-9 or 3.5-10 is OK. Under US $800 or so is my budget.
What can you suggest?
Posted By: WAM Re: suggest a new scope for me - 04/03/19
Call Doug at Cameraland.
Good suggestion, but I wouldn't waste Doug's time, because I can't buy a scope from him. Your Government strongly discourages foreigners exporting scopes from the USA.
Still my pleasure to discuss options with you even if you cannot buy from us. no problem
Id look for a VX6 2-12 on the secondary market or a new VX5HD 2-10 can easily be had well under your specified budget
A bunch of the Leupies have the quick-adjust ocular nowadays.

I'd suggest perusing their online catalog to see what they have available for you.
Meopta MeoPro 3-9x40/42
Posted By: Quak Re: suggest a new scope for me - 04/04/19
The meopta advice is good...great scopes. I like the jap Bushnell Elite 4200 or 4500 even more and they are also fast focus but they are no longer made so you’d have to search out a used one.
Originally Posted by warpig602
Id look for a VX6 2-12 on the secondary market or a new VX5HD 2-10 can easily be had well under your specified budget

+1
Posted By: tjb1960 Re: suggest a new scope for me - 04/04/19
+2
Posted By: hanco Re: suggest a new scope for me - 04/04/19
I’m old, the VX III’s work well for my old eyes
Originally Posted by warpig602

Nver looked through any "alpha" glass, but I like my VX-5HD 2-10 very much. I thought the wide-ish duplex would be an issue in dim light, but I was wrong. It's a very nice scope, and so far, a very good one too. About $700 most days for real ones.
Posted By: Filaman Re: suggest a new scope for me - 04/05/19
I'd find a VX-3i with quick focus ocular lens. These quick focus features are now on most scope brands.

A lot if people on here are down on Ebay because on some auctions they don't get what they bid on. I had this happen. But Ebay has a great return policy. I got my money back within a few days and bought what I wanted from a Store on Ebay, not an auction. It was new in the box and much cheaper than retail. I called Leupold Customer Support and gave them the SN and they told me it was a Leupold Scope as advertised and said it was fully warranted. You can't go wrong doing that. And the VX-3i is an excellent scope, bright, clear, and sharp. Also a bit lighter than most scopes.
Originally Posted by tjb1960
+2

+3

I really like the VX-6, 2-12x42 duplex, have two of them. Glass is near alpha quality, one of the best duplex reticles on the market. They are 30mm, but sleek and not overly heavy. Great ER, about as easy to get behind as any scope on the market. What’s not to like.

Some say they’re not the most robust, but I’ve not had issues.

DF
thanks for the suggestions. I wa unaware of some of the new Leupold options, and the Meoptas look good too. So now for shopping!
Will be hard to top the meopta. Granted the vx5 and 6 hd didnt exist when i made my last majorish optics purchase but the vx6 did. And i looked through everything i could get my hands on. I just couldnt find anything that compared with the meopro 3-9x42 without dropping alpha euro glass coin. And now Tract optics is around. A new company with some very high end glass. Im leaning real hard towards their toric 30mm uhd for my next optic. Definitely worth checking them out as well. Lots of choices. I would however recommend steering clear of vortex. Most of their stuff is chinese made. They tout a great warranty but its used far too much by far too many. Something to keep in mind....with exception of the euro alpha glass....most of the good stuff seems to come from LOW in Japan.
© 24hourcampfire