Home
I have a model 700 bdl in 30-06 and am considering the Leupold QR rings and bases. I’m wondering if you can see and shoot with the factory sights with the scope removed? Any other pros or cons . Thanks Bob
QR or QRW?

I know that most Weaver bases will allow you to use the open sight that are mounted the Marlin 336s and Remington 760/7600s if you use QRW or Warne Maxima QR rings.

I'm not a huge fan of Leupold QRs, as I think that the release levers are too small and fragile for their intended purpose.

I've used the Weaver-style Durasight QR rings on a couple of installations and like them. They are robust and inexpensive, but only come in medium, DS400B/DS400S, and high, DS403B/DS400S.

www.durasight.com
some say the Leupold QR are fragile , but Ive used them on a 375 weatherby and carried them in a saddle scabbard without any issue

you can see stock M70 sights over the bases OK
I was looking at the QR I’ll look at thr QRW too . The reviews all seem positive on the QR that I’ve seen.
I
Originally Posted by bbrown
I was looking at the QR I’ll look at thr QRW too . The reviews all seem positive on the QR that I’ve seen.

I like Leupold QRs, as they allow me to quickly/easily swap scopes, but I snapped both levers off a QR base when a Winchester 70 that was leaning against the bench in my gun room slid off and fell onto the carpeted floor. It wasn't a hard fall, but both levers snapped off flush with the side of the base. I had to disassemble the rings to remove the scope so that I could remove the bases. Leupold sells replacement levers, so I must not be the only person to have them break. The levers on the QRWs, Warnes, and Durasights are all much more rugged/robust such that they are what I use on rifles that might be handled roughly.

I use them on a couple of rifles so that I can swap the 2-7x33 that is on the rifles most of the time for 6s42s with HD reticles that I install for use at first/last light. The 6x42 with a heavy duplex reticle will allow me to clearly see the POA in the low light before and after legal shooting hours.

They might work great 99.99% of the time for 99.99% of guys who use them, but that one bad experience was enough for me not to trust them enough to install them on a rifle that might be used on a serious hunt. As with many things, YMMV.
Might take look at the Warne QD very similar to the Leupold QRW.
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Might take look at the Warne QD very similar to the Leupold QRW.

I believe that Warne makes the Leupold QRWs.

The only thing that I don't like about the Warnes is that the recoil lug isn't attached to the rings, so it can easily be lost.

The Durasight rings have a recoil lug that is integral to the rings, simple and effective, but only available in medium and high.
Thanks for the replies guess I’ll look for something other than the QR I prefer bullet proof gear
Durasight QR rings are the most bullet proof Weaver style that I've seen and they are the least expensive.

I sincerely wish that they would make them in a low height, rather than just medium and high.
Lows would be good as I plan on a VX3 2.5-8 36mm scope and the lows would put it right where it should be
If you're careful with the Warnes and do your scope swap where a dropped recoil lug won't get lost, they are worth trying. When I've done it in the field, I sat down and put my coat over my lap so that if (when) I dropped the recoil lug, it would be easy to find.
Thanks for the advise, some Warne Maxima lows were just posted for sale so I will try those on the Warne steel bases. Thanks
© 24hourcampfire