Home
Posted By: Remington280 What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/14/19
I'm finally upgrading my scope on my Rem 700 280 after 15 yrs , will be using a picatinny rail. Scope is a 2-12x42 so I'm thinking a low ring should work. I've looked at several rings but just can't decide as I always notice a weak link or maybe it's just me.
Any suggestions for some rings that'll look good for a sporter rifle and be trouble free?
Posted By: iddave Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/14/19
Seekins “low” for your situation gonna be hard to beat.
Originally Posted by iddave
Seekins “low” for your situation gonna be hard to beat.

Yep.
Could also look at APA .75s (lows) but quite a bit more $.
Posted By: Holston Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/14/19
I’d use Seekins low rings if you’re set on using a rail.

eupold DDs/lows have been rock solid for me though. They’re the way I go if I don’t need inclination. (On Remington 700s at least)

The reversible front will grant you good ring spacing if that’s why you’re using a rail. The standards are pretty short in that regard.
Posted By: cdb Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/14/19
I like Warne.
I really like Talley steel bases and Screw Lock rings.

Right now wearing Leupold 2-12x42. I'm trying to break it, as I've sent it back once right after I bought it. Haven't had any other problems.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: boatanchor Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by Remington280
I'm finally upgrading my scope on my Rem 700 280 after 15 yrs , will be using a picatinny rail. Scope is a 2-12x42 so I'm thinking a low ring should work. I've looked at several rings but just can't decide as I always notice a weak link or maybe it's just me.
Any suggestions for some rings that'll look good for a sporter rifle and be trouble free?

Excuse me but f the seekins. Remington has never drilled 4 holes in a straight line............ever.
Enter the Burris Signature Z rings. with the off set inserts you can dial your scope in somewhat before you shoot a shot. over the weekend I set up a Rem 700 in 270 Win.
I used the +10 -10 inserts to correct windage ( +20-20 were too much for this rifle but very common on Remingtons). I used the other +10-10 to add elevation. they never put ring marks on your scope and never slip, very light weight.
No longer own a Burris scope..........but the Signature Zee rings are the bomb for mounting to picatinny or weaver bases, own more than a dozen. awesome !!!!
Posted By: WAM Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/15/19
Warne bases and Burris Signature Zee rings are your huckleberry.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/15/19
F u c k #ChineseSelloutBurris. Warne Mountain Techs.
Posted By: hanco Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/15/19
I like Talley bases and rings. They look great
Posted By: cs2blue Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/15/19
If your on a budget, look at the Weaver tactical rings 1 inch and 30mm, aluminium 4 screw or six and 50 cal rated. Awesome bang for you buck!
Posted By: TBS Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/16/19
+1 on the Weavers!
Posted By: 30338 Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/16/19
I'd go rail or these. If going rail Seekins is an easy choice. Either way I've taken to bedding them to the actions. For short actions, I prefer the Seekins. For long actions, have had good luck with the Nightforce pictured. Bedding visible under the rear bridge.
[Linked Image]
So many options, thanks for the suggestions .
Posted By: Bull64 Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/17/19
Warne lows...
Posted By: kingston Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/17/19
For that scope APA or Farrell Lows.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...catinny-rail-heights-listed#Post12758885

Posted By: SDupontJr Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/17/19
Warne here on my short action
Originally Posted by kingston

Just when I thought I had it narrowed down, thanks Kingston .
Posted By: Fotis Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/17/19
Originally Posted by cdb
I like Warne.

yup
Posted By: boatanchor Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/18/19
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd go rail or these. If going rail Seekins is an easy choice. Either way I've taken to bedding them to the actions. For short actions, I prefer the Seekins. For long actions, have had good luck with the Nightforce pictured. Bedding visible under the rear bridge.
[Linked Image]

Hope you did not want to ajust eye relief...... looks like there is none !!!!!!!
Posted By: boatanchor Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/18/19
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by cdb
I like Warne.

yup

For the base yes, but the Burris Signature Zee rings a better choice every time.
Posted By: kingston Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/18/19
Vertically split rings are a PIA and Warne Mountain Techs are too high.

Ken Farrell Lows on Warne two piece bases would be super low. The only issue would concern whether your the ocular of your particular scope would interfere with the bolt throw.
Posted By: EdM Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/18/19

Ken Farrell Lows on Warne two piece bases would be super low. The only issue would concern whether your the ocular of your particular scope would interfere with the bolt throw.

I have killed a lot of critters, big and small, with vertically split rings.

I agree, trying to stay away from the vertically split rings, big PIA.
Posted By: hanco Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/18/19
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

Right now wearing Leupold 2-12x42. I'm trying to break it, as I've sent it back once right after I bought it. Haven't had any other problems.

[Linked Image]

I like Talley bases and rings too!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/18/19
Originally Posted by EdM

I have killed a lot of critters, big and small, with vertically split rings.

Which has nothing to do with them being a PIA to setup.
Burris Signature Zee. You can adjust windage and elevation and no ring marks .
Posted By: hanco Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/24/19
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

[Linked Image]

The Talleys look good.
On a hunting rifle where weight is a concern I would skip the rail and go with the Hawkins Precision long range hybrids. A one piece base and ring with 25 moa built in. They are Talley lightweights on steroids without a significant weight penalty.

https://hawkinsprecision.com/scope-rings/
Posted By: Filaman Re: What 30mm rings/Rem 700 - 04/25/19
For a Remington 700? Maybe it's just me but I go with the kiss system. I use a 1 piece Leupold base and traditional Leupold rings.Yes I am a fan of those horried dove tail-windage screw rings and bases. I know it's not cool these days in a world of high tech modern design. But I have been using this system for 40 years on some of my guns. Not all, I have a couple that -have rails and claw style rings. They work too, but I've never experienced any of the perceived problems with the dove tai[-windage screw set up. They all work if you do them right.

One warning. If you go with low rings with a 42mm Objective you may have problems with the objective bell hitting the front of the base mount or even the barrel. In my case it could have been a problem specific to the Leupold rings, I'm not sure. But when I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 on a commercial Mauser using low Leupold rings I had to grind on the rifle bolt and follow up with a file to stop the bolt from rubbing the ocular lens body of the scope. And even with just a 40mm Objective It barely cleared the front of the mount and even the barrel. I think a 42MM would have hit it. If you do decide to go low, be sure to keep your receipts in case you have to return stuff. I went with low rings anyway. because the stock of this particular rifle fits me so much better with the lower scope that I decided to fit things myself. It turned out pretty nice but it was a PIA getting things right.
© 24hourcampfire