Home
Posted By: drdx7646 long range ffp scope - 04/18/19
I am looking to purchase a large magnification scope (3-27x) with a reticle in the first focal plane. My only experience with a FFP reticle was an old Swarovski 3-12 PH scope that the reticle would get very large when zoomed to 12 on smallish target. The Schmidt and Bender scope I am considering has a "fine duplex" (P4L). Does anyone have experience with this scope and how "large" does the crosshair appear on a deer type target at 700-800 yards?
Thanks
Aaron
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: long range ffp scope - 04/18/19
Good afternoon Aaron,
it would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Please feel free to give a call
Posted By: Ringman Re: long range ffp scope - 04/18/19
drdx7646,

Don't tell the FFP advocates the reticle grows with magnification increase. They don't like hearing or reading that.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: long range ffp scope - 04/18/19
i would be more concerned with how I was going to see the reticle at 3X. A 9 ratio zoom is a lot of change in a reticle.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: long range ffp scope - 04/18/19
But the reticles values don`t change with magnification, even if you can`t see it. I`m sold on that...not.
It sounds that you are using this for a single purpose, at high magnification. IME, if true, either FFP or SFP would work. Might open more options for you.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: long range ffp scope - 04/19/19
Originally Posted by drdx7646
I am looking to purchase a large magnification scope (3-27x) with a reticle in the first focal plane. My only experience with a FFP reticle was an old Swarovski 3-12 PH scope that the reticle would get very large when zoomed to 12 on smallish target. The Schmidt and Bender scope I am considering has a "fine duplex" (P4L). Does anyone have experience with this scope and how "large" does the crosshair appear on a deer type target at 700-800 yards?
Thanks
Aaron

No time with a 3-27.
But quite a bit with the 5-25 S&B. With the P3 mildot.
I have shot deer with it to say 450 or so...just the way things worked out.No problems at all even in low light.
And if you have a problem....with these scopes.... you just turn the light on....
I also ran it in 1000 yard silhouette competition for my first season.
10 crows at 850,10 woodchucks 900,10 bobcats at 950 and 10 coyotes at 1000.pretty much life sized targets.
It worked very well for the bobcats and the coyotes.not so much on the crows and the woodchucks.
The P3 would pretty much cover the crows at 850.The P3 was not ideal for the smaller targets.
For the cats and the dogs.
i thought it was perfect.
i used to have a chart that gave the reticle coverage for all the different S&B reticles.I seem to have missplaced it.
From there you can pretty much figure out what would work best for you.
S&B should be able to give you all the numbers.
For a deer sized target.Just about anything will work.
jwp475 has a 5-25 with the P4F reticle.Hes as happy as a clam...

dave
© 24hourcampfire