Home
Posted By: Bearded AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/28/19
Thoughts/experiences? Worth the premium over Butler Creek? Alternatives?

Thanks
Posted By: RiverRider Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/28/19
No experience with them, but they look stout and the warranty sounds good. I don't believe I'd shell out $100 for a set, though. That'll buy a whole bunch of Butler Creeks which are perfectly functional---until you break em.

Maybe if I had only one or two scoped rifles I'd see it differently.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/28/19
Like scopes, when it is a critical moment, I want my gear to work, not a warranty. I have two sets, one each for the two size scopes I use x42 and x56.

They are ridiculously expensive, but I have not broken either pair after three or four seasons. I was going through several sets of Butler Creeks a year before that.

Tenebrax is another comparable quality alternative.
Posted By: Bearded Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/28/19
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Like scopes, when it is a critical moment, I want my gear to work, not a warranty.

Well said. Thanks for the input
Posted By: RiverRider Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/29/19
Vortex offers a flip-up cap that costs a third as much. I wonder how well those hold up.
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/29/19
I have a set on my Kahles 624i. I can pick up a 18lb rifle by the objective cap lid. They are very high quality, strong, and they stay put.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/29/19
Originally Posted by Bearded
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Like scopes, when it is a critical moment, I want my gear to work, not a warranty.

Well said. Thanks for the input

You’re welcome.
Posted By: Bearded Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/29/19
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
I have a set on my Kahles 624i. I can pick up a 18lb rifle by the objective cap lid. They are very high quality, strong, and they stay put.

That's impressive

How much clearance do you need between the barrel and scope?
Posted By: kingston Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/29/19
They are the best there is.
Posted By: koshkin Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/30/19
Originally Posted by kingston
They are the best there is.

I wholehartedly concur.

They are not for everyone and they are not cheap, but they are ridiculously durable.

ILya
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/30/19
Originally Posted by Bearded
Originally Posted by Jwood1284

That's impressive

How much clearance do you need between the barrel and scope?

A lot. It’s on an Accuracy International in a Spuhr 1.18” mount.
Posted By: GravyMeister Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 05/31/19

[Linked Image]

calling it 3DPrinter w/ ScrewSnugglyness

YES the Schwayze...
...and the Proverbial LifeTimeGuarantee
...and the LockUp/ Spring Industrial robust
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 06/01/19
I liked the older ones with a tube long enough to get past the diopter. The screwy ones are too short on a couple of mine. And the older ocular covers with the red BC style pushbutton were a whole lot harder to open accidently against a coat or pack(while slung), than the long-stemmed new style....
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 06/01/19
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I liked the older ones with a tube long enough to get past the diopter. The screwy ones are too short on a couple of mine. And the older ocular covers with the red BC style pushbutton were a whole lot harder to open accidently against a coat or pack(while slung), than the long-stemmed new style....

I kinda have the diopter issue with a set on a SHV. The adjustment for my eyes leaves just enough for it to secure, it could be just a tad longer
Posted By: BrentParker Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 06/12/19
I think they are worth every penny. Mine have just worked.
Posted By: swampkid Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 06/17/19
Money well spent, they are outstanding.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: AAD Mount Flip Caps - 06/17/19
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I prefer the old style with the red button - the new ones really stick out there a long ways, making it easy to open accidently, but also easy to snag on my tender flesh.
© 24hourcampfire