Home
Posted By: Jim_Knight leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/27/19
How many of you guys use a Leupold 1.5x5 on a "non DGR", like your regular deer rifle? Remember when the 4x was considered the "all around" scope power/use? And if one went out west then the 6x was the berries? I used a 1.5x5 on a 35 WAI for years, I even shot a black wildebeest at 347yds with it on 5x, easy cheesy. I know many use it for woods hunting, but how about even out on bean fields/food plots, etc? I sold mine awhile back, now I'm kind of thinking of getting another as opposed to a SWFA 2x10 Ultralight. This would go on a .270W. I need to add that I don't like a big heavy scope on my rifles. Opinions guys?
Posted By: mathman Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/27/19
5x is plenty for me to connect at 300 yards, no problem at all. I like the format of the 1.5-5x20 Leupolds, but at first and last light they don't hang in as well as my 6x42's.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/27/19
I have one on a late 50's Savage 99EG in 358 Win. Works great. I am lucky enough to be able to hunt in both open areas and in the brush. Works well for both. I try to keep shots under 150 yards, but that's me.

On another 99 in 300 Savage, I use the M8 6x. It does everything I need it to do. Even have taken a couple deer at 230 yards with no issues.
Posted By: Tejano Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/27/19
Haven't used that one but really like my 1.7-6x on my 375. I like the looks of the straight objective scopes on classic rifles. Never felt handicapped when 4x was the standard and maybe it helped me refrain from taking a too far and questionable poke. I would probably go straight 6 on a 270 but at five X an elk will still look pretty big. A number of rifles wear 2-7x or 2.5x8 scopes too so not a big difference. Some of the AR models in that range are made for dialing but with illumination and mega turrets the weight advantage is lost.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/27/19
I have killed a handful of animals on 8x to 10x, but far, far more from 2-6x I have often wondered why carry around a bulky variable if I'm only comfortable with the FOV of the low to mid powers? Target range, sure, I get it. Just thinking out loud...
Posted By: Tejano Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/27/19
Even on targets not too big of a hindrance. If it is at all just get a dedicated target scope and quick detach mounts. I was just thinking last night how many times higher magnification made a difference. I usually don't change the setting on a variable when I hunt and just leave it at 5x as a good compromise. I also was trying to add up the actual time I have spent looking through the scope and it was just a couple of hours even on my favorite set ups, about the same as a one day of spot & stalk hunting just glassing.

Our predecessors would shoot to 300 yards and further with iron sites and cartridges with much more of a rainbow trajectory than what we shoot now. Some would probably give me a run for the money even if I used a 4X scope and they irons.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/27/19
I like small x20mm scopes.

Own two of the Leupold 1.5-5s, one Leupold 1-4, Nikon Monarch 1-4, and a Bushnell Scopechief 1.5-4.5. The Leupold 1.5-5s are my favorite of the bunch. The one is on a Ruger #1A 275 Rigby and the other is waiting for it's next assignment, probably onto a 7600 30-06. I like those scopes on rifles with rifle sights. To me they look "right" and are ample for the hunting we do here.
Posted By: JGray Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I have a Vari X III 1.5-5, a couple of VX2/II 1-4's and several Nikon 1-4's. I also like the x20 low power variables - mostly on Ruger No. 1's and other rifles with open sights.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I have a couple of them on mannlicher stocked Ruger 77 RSIs and my pet 44 International.

I sent them back to Leupold for reticle changes from the duplex to heavy duplex back when Leupold would do that job for under $100 and have shot a few whitetail does with them during of SEASONS CHOICE and RIVER antlerless whitetail seasons.

I really prefer the 2-7x33 Leupold VX2s, as I think that they are a brighter scope than the 1.5-5x20s, but the 33mm objective requires the removal of the rear sights on the short action 77 RSIs, at least they do for me, and to my eyes a mannlicher stocked rifle without open sights looks rather naked.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I used a Vari X 1.5-5x20 with a Duplex reticle on a Ruger .338 Win. for 12 years here in Alaska. Bears, caribou, moose, etc. Longest shot was a broad side on a moose at about 350 yards. I eventually replaced it with a Vari X 2.5-8x36 Leupold.

My current 1.5-5 is a VX3 with a German #4 and is for use on a .356 Win. or as a back up scope. I wish I would of went with Leupold's Post/Duplex reticle instead of the #4. Over all they are great little scopes in my opinion and can easily handle over 90 percent of the shots I have taken at big game.

They are the "Classic" DG scope in my opinion and are quick to get into action on an AR platform.

Personally, I would prefer a 2.5-8x36 on a .270 or a SWFA 3-9x40 HD. Good shooting to you.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I have used my 1.5 x 5 for over 35 years I think its the best scope for where I hunt in the east, woods and small fields.
Posted By: Youper Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by mathman
5x is plenty for me to connect at 300 yards, no problem at all. I like the format of the 1.5-5x20 Leupolds, but at first and last light they don't hang in as well as my 6x42's.

This was my experience as well. I had a Vari-X III 1.5-5x20 on a short action 700 until two years ago, and was happy with it. I had to quit hunting a little earlier than with other scopes, but that didn't really bother me. I replaced it with an IOR Valdada 4x33 that I stumbled across. I'm likely to put the old scope on a Marlin 1895 when I get around to it.
Posted By: TheKid Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
They make an ideal scope for a lightweight AR truck gun. I had one on my 16” AR that rode in the truck all the time. Killed a turkey, 2 deer, a bunch of coyotes, and 54 pigs one year with it from 5 to 300 yards, never had to rezero and never felt handicapped. Had it on a 458 Winchester I used in AK for 6-8 years before I put it on the AR.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I bought my first one in 1986, have three mounted on rifles now, with another on standby waiting for the right gun to come along. One on a Savage 99 .308, another on a Rem 700 Classic 350 RemMag, and the third on a Ruger Mini 14. They're all Vari-X III of some vintage, oldest is back from era of friction adjustment turret dials.

Then again, my other most used scopes are Vari-X II and VX II 2-7 models. Currently have those on a Kimber Montana .308, a Rem 700 Classic 250 Savage, and a Rem 700 Classic 300 Savage.

I don't go up to a 3-9X scope until I get to my .280.

Never felt over or under scoped with any of them. They spend most of their time on lowest magnification, unless I'm sitting still in a spot with good views.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19

+1

I like the low power for off hand shooting. 5X is good enough for most applications.

Low light would be the weak point.

DF
Posted By: erich Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I have a half dozen 1-4x20's(mostly Leupold) on various coyote hunting rifles, combo and levers. They just plain work for calling coyotes, more than enough X's for 300 yard shots and lots of FOV for those at your shoelaces. Coyotes I can hunt with no restrictions on starting or quitting time, if I can see a coyote coming to the call with my bare eyes the scope is plenty bright enough to kill him. I do run 1.5x6x40mm scopes on my some of my bolt action for coyotes as they get use in more open country, I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference, but I think they look better on the bolt action in some cases.

Drilling

[Linked Image]

A bolt action that looks great with a straight tube scope

[Linked Image]

They are plenty accurate enough also.

The drilling above at 200 yards.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

+1

I like the low power for off hand shooting. 5X is good enough for most applications.

DF

All true...except maybe the low light thing.

On 4X the scope still has a 'exit pupil' of 5mm...which is all the light over 40 yr. old eyes are capable of using....

I used the 1.5 to 5x exclusively for many years on 3 different rifles, and at ranges out to 450 yards. Only reason I quit them is the eyes kept getting older and started showing a preference e for more power....
Posted By: mathman Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

+1

DF

All true...except maybe the low light thing.

On 4X the scope still has a 'exit pupil' of 5mm...which is all the light over 40 yr. old eyes are capable of using....

I used the 1.5 to 5x exclusively for many years on 3 different rifles, and at ranges out to 450 yards. Only reason I quit them is the eyes kept getting older and started showing a preference e for more power....

You're neglecting the effect of magnification. It isn't just the size of the exit pupil, the intensity of the light in that 5mm beam counts too. A 10x scope with a 50mm objective will produce a brighter 5mm shaft of light than will a 4x and 20mm.
Posted By: roundoak Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I have Leupold 1x4x20 mm's on my favorite lever guns that I take whitetails and black bear with in heavy timber/brush and open country conditions and have great success.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I have a VX-3i 1.5-5X20 on my Guide Gun. About a good an application as could be for this scope.

[Linked Image]

I have a 1.5-4X20 VX-Freedom on my .458 SOCOM, so far it's held up good, seems to be perfectly adequate for the job. It;s held zero and moved the appropriate amount when adjusted, though the turrets feel mushy compared to the VX-3i. The only thing I haven't directly compared is low-light performance, but I suspect it will be sufficient to shoot during legal shooting hours, if I choose to hunt with this rifle. I've threatened to deer hunt with it the last 3 years but haven't followed through.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
Ruger #1A in 275 Rigby. 1.5-5 Leupold

[Linked Image]

Marlin 336 in 30-30 with Leupold 1-4. The extra low mounts are perfect for this. It works very well.

[Linked Image]

Remington 7600 in 30-06. Nikon 1-4

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RGK Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
A Leupold 1.5-5 VX3 goes well with a No 1 7x57 Leopard.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Works well on a Marlin Cowboy .45-70.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Not bad on .22's, except 100 yd, not 50 yd. parallax, still OK, close enough.

Volquartsen Ruger 10-22 with Jard fire control unit, Hogue stock.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scottishkat Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I own more than one 1.5-5 x 20 mm VXIII. I had one on a Ruger 77 RSI in .308 win for years looks like a pretty common choice from all the posts read. With it I harvested my biggest ever whitetail 254 field dressed. The other was on a 3030 I owned it is now on my dads 3030 that I used to harvest my first whitetail with iron sites many years ago. The other is on a dedicated turkey gun now.

They're a very useful short range scope out to 300 max. I prefer a 3-9x40 on a rifle today for short and medium range and more flexibility for longer 3-15 is more than I need.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/28/19
I can see myself getting another later on. smile
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I can see myself getting another later on. smile

Hard to have too many.

They are handy.

DF
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/30/19
I prefer the 2-7x myself. The straight tube does look good in certain applications, but it is not as useful for me.

The 2x has about as much usable FOV, and the 7x has both more magnification and exit pupil.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/30/19
I prefer the 2-7x myself.

A very versatile magnification range, to me.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/30/19

Have a Leupold 1.5X5 and I am a big fan of Leupold scopes, but a scope just doesn’t look right without an objective bell.
Posted By: battue Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/30/19
Not always, but sometimes....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Windfall Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/30/19
I've had several of them and currently have one with the heavy duplex on my M99F .300 Savage and it is ideal in that application. We don't shoot at long range here and more typically thick brush at first and last light. What nobody talks about is the huge exit pupil diameter you get with that 1.5-5 Vari-X lll which means that you can get the full fov very quickly with a less that perfect cheek weld on the stock. A nice feature for getting on a quick moving deer. I have watched that heavy duplex into full darkness which is way past when we are allowed to hunt and I can see that heavy duplex long after the standard one has faded into the background. It isn't as bright as my high end Euro scopes and thus on my back up rifle, but certainly no slouch in my deer woods.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/30/19
How many of you guys use a Leupold 1.5x5 on a "non DGR", like your regular deer rifle?

Not at the moment. For several years I carried a stainless / synthetic Remington Seven in 7mm-08 with a Leupold 1.5-5X. It was very good in the huckleberry / tan oak patches I hunted most of the time back then though I liked more magnification in the more open white oaks. I had another on a Marlin SS .45-70 guide rifle.

Though I conceptually like the scope, I think the 1.75-6X was better and the 2.5-8X even more better. I almost never turned that 1.5-5X below 2.5X, so all it really did was take away from the top end without adding anything useful (to me) on the bottom end.

Tom
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 06/30/19
I’ve owned a few and personally don’t care for them. Mostly I used them on Lever Action Carbines and a Sako Mannlicher Battue Carbine in .375 H & H.
I’m not knocking them. They just don’t let in enough light to suit me.

Give me a Leupold 2.5 X 8 or 2 X 7 Compact any ole day of the week and twice on Sundays. JMHO, for whatever it’s worth.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 07/01/19
Originally Posted by T_O_M
How many of you guys use a Leupold 1.5x5 on a "non DGR", like your regular deer rifle?

Not at the moment. For several years I carried a stainless / synthetic Remington Seven in 7mm-08 with a Leupold 1.5-5X. It was very good in the huckleberry / tan oak patches I hunted most of the time back then though I liked more magnification in the more open white oaks. I had another on a Marlin SS .45-70 guide rifle.

Though I conceptually like the scope, I think the 1.75-6X was better and the 2.5-8X even more better. I almost never turned that 1.5-5X below 2.5X, so all it really did was take away from the top end without adding anything useful (to me) on the bottom end.

Tom

X2, I didn’t care for the couple I owned. Preferred the 1.75-6, or better yet a 2-7. Particularly if you hunt where there are antler restrictions.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 07/02/19
Over the past couple of years I’ve moved a lot of rifles to low power variables . Been getting some practice in and killing a few critters up close / running / moving on 1x shooting with both eyes open with a more squared up shotgun style stance . True 1x is great for this , although I guess I’m fortunate enough I can focus well enough to use 1.25 and 1.5 just as easily . Had some Leupolds and a 1-3 weaver V3 (great scope ! True 1x but has some “fisheye”) a Bausch and Lomb 1.5-6 ... and now the primaries are a Zeiss 1.5-4.5 and Swarovski 1.24-4 . I dig it and will probably be moving to one of the newer 1-8x scopes when I can afford it . I like the straight tube look personally .

[Linked Image]

Small buck shot jogging at 165 yards last season
Posted By: SuperCub Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 07/04/19
[Linked Image]

What scope is that?

thx

Posted By: jmd025 Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[Linked Image]

What scope is that?

thx

West German Zeiss Diavari 1.5-4.5
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 07/04/19
I have one on my .375 H&H for when I had hopes of going to Africa, because at the time that is what the "Experts" said to get. Now those same ones are using high end scopes costing thousands with power of at least 12 it seems. I still have it on my .375 since it never seems to go out zero.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 07/04/19
I used a V3 1.5x5 on my first Plains Game trip to South Africa, up near Kruger Park. It was perfection! Great scope, no matter where, but especially in mixed terrain.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by jmd025
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[Linked Image]

What scope is that?

thx

West German Zeiss Diavari 1.5-4.5

Nice scope. Seems to be a bit longer and thus fits better on a long action.
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: leupold 1.5x5 users - 07/05/19
I have used one before on a Howa 308 Winchester.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire