Home
Posted By: handwerk Leupold VX-3 vs. newer VX-3i - 07/07/19
I have a couple of the VX-3's that have been good scopes( 2.5-8x36) did the new VX-3i model cheapen the gene pool or are the new ones an improvement?
Had one, a 3.5-10, for a bit on a transitory Ruger No. 1. Nice view, and no drama during the sight-in, maybe because I ran the knobs a bit before mounting it. Probably should have kept it; the long tube and good ER make it a good fit on almost anything, but I got most of my money back when I sold it.

Still have a couple of Leupolds in service, including a VX-5 HD, but am steering clear for a while while trying other stuff.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Leupold VX-3 vs. newer VX-3i - 07/07/19
The looks and finish is down a step and the optics might be up a small step. Not sure how the internals compare.
My very old Vari X 2.5-8x36 rode on my .338 Winny for many years and always performed. I put it on the 338-06 I made up for my Grandson. I have a VX3i on a Husky 1640 Light 30-06 and hope it works as well, but time will have to prove it. This scope also has the CDS feature, which I have not used yet.
I’ve got a VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS for sale, new in unopened box, if interested. $375.
I've had and still have a VX-3L 4.5-14x56. I also have 4 of the new VX-3is in 3.5-10x40. It's hard to compare the two different power ranges and objective sizes. But I belief the VX-3is to be a bit brighter even with the smaller objectives I have on them. One thing about the internals, they tell me that the new VX-3is had their erectors beefed up to help tracability(Is that a word?). I will admit while not an earth shaking difference they tract better while I was sighting in than the older VX-3L. Also, another plus for the VX-3is is that they have a hard surface on the lens to prevent scratching that wasn't on the old VX-3s. Mine are all matte finish so I can't tell if the finish is as good or not than the old VX-3. My one VX-3L is matte as well since that's what I prefer even on a shiny rifle. One thing though, whether VX-3, VX-3L, or VX-3i, they all have a high degree of resolution and have very sharp images.
Isn't one of the improvements of the Vx-3i dual springs on the turrets? The "Diamond Coat and"Rain Coat" are a worthwhile improvement. Less likely to fog and less likely to get scratched from improper field cleaning. I would suspect by protecting the exterior lens coatings better it could increase the optical longevity.
The finish on the new ones seems a little less durable. Other than that, they seem pretty close to me
I have several older VX-3's and one VX3i, mostly 3-10x40's. They have all worked pretty well for me. I think the VX-3i may be a little brighter. No problems with tracking on the VX-3i so far. However, I don't twist the adjustments on these, they are used as set and forget scopes with B&C reticles. For dialing I prefer other brands.
I can't tell the difference regarding optics.

DF
I have several VX-3is, two are currently in use.

One is a 1.5-5X20 on my .45-70, the other is a 2.5-8X36 CDS on my little Howa lightweight .308.

The .45-70 hasn't been used too much in the last couple of years, I was hit head-on by a cell phone-wielding young lady and the results were some injuries that limited my use of harder-recoiling rifles, but that's all good now.

The little Howa is a mainstay, and the scope on it has held up so far. I've shot it out to 500 yards to verify the come-ups and it does what it's supposed to do, but that rifle is used mainly where shots will be shorter and I use a 200 yard zero so it doesn't get dialed a bunch.

Glass is good on both, and I've not had an issue with either in regards to tracking or holding zero.
I have both in 2.5-8........I can't tell the difference.

The company employees live tonight (prompted by Douglas@ camera land) stated the GLASS AND COATINGS were both updated I believe.
I heard on the live show that glass and coatings are updated, and some of the ergonomics were changed(for looks or manufacturing efficiencies) I believe the service manager specifically said the erector was the same, though their literature talks about a new erector.
I missed the Tue. live discussion, had to work.

Where can I get a link to what was said...?

DF
I looked through a vx freedom 3-9 x40 and it definitely has a chitty eyebox. I wouldnt step down below a vx3i line.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I looked through a vx freedom 3-9 x40 and it definitely has a chitty eyebox. I wouldnt step down below a vx3i line.

Haven't examined a VX-2 in the newer series, but plain VX-2 vs. VX-3, I don't see a lot of difference in glass quality. The VX-2 is a great deal, IMO.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Haven't examined a VX-2 in the newer series, but plain VX-2 vs. VX-3, I don't see a lot of difference in glass quality. The VX-2 is a great deal, IMO.

DF

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Vx-2 and vx-1 are dead. The freedom series replaced them both . VX-1.5 was used already.
Haven't examined the new Freedom series.

From your report, probably not that interested in doing so.

DF
Hey Guys (and ladies)! New here, thought I would chime in. I have a 3i 3.5-10x with the smaller lens (40mm?) and I love it. I prefer the Leupy to the Viper and SWFA I have. It works great for these old eyes!
© 24hourcampfire