Home
Posted By: 1Akshooter Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
Where is the best buy on a Nightforce SHV 3-10? Is it possible to get one with the 4a reticle in America?
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
It would be my pleasure to assist you with a scope. The 4a is not available in the USA.
I am back in the store 1st thing tomorrow, please give me a call at your convenience, 516-217-1000.
Have a great night
Doug
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
Doug or Mule Deer or any one,

I am looking for a different scope for my .338 Winny. I want some thing in the 2-10x44 range that is not over 22 ounces. I prefer a reticle like the Nightforce 4a or Leupold Post-Duplex. I would like and exposed elevation turret with a zero stop and capped windage. Above all else, I want repeatable reliable adjustments. I am tired of not trusting scope adjustments.

Does such a scope exist?
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
With capped turrets is the Steiner GS3 4A 2-10x42. Great scope.

not sure of one with everything you're looking for.

Hunting scopes won't have Zero stop and exposed turrets and Tactical scopes won't have a basic Plex or 4a
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

I am looking for a different scope for my .338 Winny. I want some thing in the 2-10x44 range that is not over 22 ounces. I prefer a reticle like the Nightforce 4a or Leupold Post-Duplex. I would like and exposed elevation turret with a zero stop and capped windage. Above all else, I want repeatable reliable adjustments. I am tired of not trusting scope adjustments.

Does such a scope exist?

No, it does not exist. The closet you will get is the 3-10x SHV with ForcePlex reticle. Leave the elevation cap off.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
Form, do the Steiner scopes track as well or close to Nightforce?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
Personal preference but I wish I would have found a SHV 3-12x42 with an illuminated reticle. The MOAR reticle on mine has been a little difficult to see on a black or dark targets. I like the small scope and known reliability.
Doug @ CL can hook you up.
😎
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
I just got an shv 3-10 with the illumintated force plex from Doug at camera land. He gave me a good price and it was at the post office waiting for me in 3-4 days with zero issues. I also got a Leica rangefinder from Doug which he also gave me a nice price on. In fact, I need to order another SHV within a few days.

As for the scope, it’s great, I love the forceplex and I’ve been able to shoot it out to 500 with my kimber, I like the clean reticle with the ability to dial if I want. I like being able to turn on the illumination if I want, it really helps in low light and since we don’t have legal shooting light here in AK it’s a nice feature.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
I am getting sold on the SHV 3-10. Lets talk reticles. How bout the International Hunting Retical, the Force Plex and the MOAR. which one is best all around out to 500 yards? Why is the 4anot available in N. America?
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/15/19
I am getting sold on the SHV 3-10. Lets talk reticles. How bout the International Hunting Retical, the Force Plex and the MOAR. which one is best all around out to 500 yards? Why is the 4anot available in N. America?

I had the moar reticle in an shv 3-10 for awhile but at the time I didn’t like it. It seemed hard for me to pick up the center crosshairs in low light and I find myself in low light a lot. When I get another shv, I’d like to try the moar again but I’ll go with the illumination.

I like the simplicity of the force plex personally but for a longer range build I see the value in having a more advanced reticle.

At first I was worried about the set parallax in the illuminated versions but honestly it’s a non factor, most 3-9 or 3-10 scopes don’t have parallax adjustment anyways.
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/16/19

Does such a scope exist?

Lots of people here on the fire have expressed interest in a scope with essentially the same requirements you describe. I don't know how many a manufacturer/brand would have to sell to make the venture both profitable for them and reasonably affordable (maybe $800 - $1000 range?) for the buyer. I'm guessing companies either haven't seriously considered it, or have considered it and believe the volume in the niche market isn't sufficient.

There have been some favorable reviews here of the Huskemaw Blue Diamond products. The reticle doesn't seem to be what you describe, but doesn't look terribly cluttered relative to some of the more tactical style reticles out there. I have reservations on them for a couple of reasons. One, I have never even seen one first hand. Two, while I have read a few good reports on the mechanical accuracy and repeatability, it is far from the convincing number of positive feedback one can find on SWFA, Nightforce & the Bushnell Elite Tactical line. For those of us that haven't "shot it all and then some", it seems a bit of a risky purchase, relatively speaking.

Speaking of Huskemaw, I'd have to think their market is pretty "niche" in itself, and that as a result their volumes are pretty low. Perhaps they are a brand that could bring to market a scope with the specs discussed above? I suspect they think their current offerings meet the criteria....and they may. I'm just not confident enough, specifically on the tracking and return to zero, based on info I've dug up to give it a go.

I've read Formidilosus posts enough to believe he is in the know on many brands/models. Not sure I've seen him comment on Huskemaw at all though.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/16/19
Thanks for the input guys. I called Doug today and the price was right, so I ordered an illuminated 3-10x42 SHV with the Force Plex reticle. I also called Kenton Industries and ordered the strip with ballistic info for my load on it. According to them it should allow shots to 600 yards. I don't ever plan on starting the shooting at that range, but it would be nice to be confident to do it in a worse case scenario, like a wounded animal.

Once it is here and zeroed I am going to go hunting for an early season youth hunt for caribou with my Granddaughter. She will be using the Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5 Creed with the SWFA 3-9 HD. I had it at the range and it likes the 127 grain Barnes LRX factory ammo and she can try it on moose later, I hope.

I am sure the new SHV, will be like the 3-9 SWFA and the 4.5-18 LRHSI Bushnell that dial like they are supposed to.

For me, at my age and hunting in Alaska like I do, I don't ever plan on using a scope weighing over much over 20 ounces.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/16/19
If you’re looking for a 4a and for lightweight have you given the Z3 any thought?? They make a 3-10x42 with 4a that Doug could help you out with and I’m sure Kenton could make you a turret for it as well. There’s also the the Z5 you can get with ballistic turret. And I believe Doug had the Leica Visus in a 2.5-10x42 on sale recently as well. Just a few more options to throw in the mix that I don’t think you could wrong with.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/16/19
Thanks for the input guys. I called Doug today and the price was right, so I ordered an illuminated 3-10x42 SHV with the Force Plex reticle. I also called Kenton Industries and ordered the strip with ballistic info for my load on it. According to them it should allow shots to 600 yards. I don't ever plan on starting the shooting at that range, but it would be nice to be confident to do it in a worse case scenario, like a wounded animal.

Once it is here and zeroed I am going to go hunting for an early season youth hunt for caribou with my Granddaughter. She will be using the Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5 Creed with the SWFA 3-9 HD. I had it at the range and it likes the 127 grain Barnes LRX factory ammo and she can try it on moose later, I hope.

I am sure the new SHV, will be like the 3-9 SWFA and the 4.5-18 LRHSI Bushnell that dial like they are supposed to.

For me, at my age and hunting in Alaska like I do, I don't ever plan on using a scope weighing over much over 20 ounces.

I’ve been very happy with my 3-10 illuminated forceplex
Shv. Looking forward to using it to fill the freezer this year.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/16/19
Always a pleasure to assist the guys here (and ladies). Please give a call and we can discuss what might be the best option for you
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/16/19
I was not aware of the Leica Visus 2.5-10x42 when I ordered the SHV. I personally prefer the 4a type of reticle for my moose hunting. Does any one know if that scope has a reputation for repeatable adjustments like Nightforce has?

This darn optics forum is an expensive place to hang out at!
Posted By: whitearrow Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/16/19
i'd like to know that too 1ak.
Big Ed
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/17/19
I was not aware of the Leica Visus 2.5-10x42 when I ordered the SHV. I personally prefer the 4a type of reticle for my moose hunting. Does any one know if that scope has a reputation for repeatable adjustments like Nightforce has?

This darn optics forum is an expensive place to hang out at!

I have the ERI which I have been told is essentially the same exact scope as the Visus. Mine tracks and adjusts exactly how it should. Probably my favorite scope to date. That or a Meostar. It is extremely crisp and clear as well. Although I have been tempted several times, I have no experience with the NF.

And yes this optics forum is an EXTREMELY expensive place to hang out.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Any fire around your place? My kid was up there fighting them for a bit and may be going back.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Foreceplex, not illuminated. I like mine.

It may require a rail for a LA, mounts well on a SA.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/18/19
They are great scopes. I just posted one in the classifieds.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/18/19
Link helps.

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13982371

DF
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/18/19
I have an SHV 3-10X42 Forceplex non-illum and an NXS 2.5-10x42 with the mil-dot reticle, and for hunting I prefer the SHV/Forceplex. If I buy another one, it will be a hard decision whether it's illuminated or not.

10 power doesn't really display the need for a lot of parallax correction.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SWJ Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

No, it does not exist. The closet you will get is the 3-10x SHV with ForcePlex reticle. Leave the elevation cap off.

Any concerns with running the SHV with caps off? I feel like NF wasn't recommending leaving the caps off but can't recall where that came from.

Wouldn't mind seeing the SS 3-9 HD with the same style turrets as the SS1-6 HD
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/18/19
Any concerns with running the SHV with caps off?

No, other than there is no zero-stop. I simply wrote a scale reference and taped it to the objective bell, but the effort needed to turn the turret helps prevent accidental turning, making it less likely to inadvertently turn the turret.

Nightforce doesn't endorse leaving caps off, but I've not heard of any issues with the practice. I've not had any personal experience with problems by doing so, either.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/19/19
The SHV scope is on my Mod. 70.338 Winny and I will head to the range soon. I use Talley QD rings and if the mounting distance on the scope barely made it. I am talking tight, but clamped on. I had to remove about an1/8 of an inch of material from the inside of the rear lever to secure the rings as it was hitting the scopes the power adjustment. So if any of you get this scope please do more research then I did.

The illumination control is good with the off capability between intensity settings. But, if I go up over 5 on the setting the illuminated part of the reticle starts moving to the left, very weird to me. I will read the book again and call Nightforce if needed. Not the end of the world as I don't think I will ever need it set over 3 or 4 for low light shooting.

I also did not realize it was made in Japan, which would not of been a deal breaker as I was going to have a reliable scope with reliable adjustments, no matter who made it.

How does it look, perfect to me on my custom "Classic Stainless" that has been my "gittterdone" beast slayer for many years
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
I bore sighted the SHV and took a shot at about 60 yards, a couple inches low and bout 4 inches to the right. I used the wretched Lead Sled and had my Granddaughter move the reticle to the bullet hole and was on target for the 3rd shot. Turning the adjustment knobs on the SHV was a positive feeling and experience. It is so nice to have a scopes reticle move to the right place when it is adjusted.

The next trip to the range we will shoot to 300 yards and I won't be wasting ammo using a scope that does not have good adjustments. Eventually we will work our way out to 600 yards.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
Yeah, it's nice to have the bullet holes appear where they're supposed to....

It's pretty easy to fit a zero-stop to an SHV. I did it with the 3-10x on my NULA .30-06--may post a photo of it soon.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, it's nice to have the bullet holes appear where they're supposed to....

It's pretty easy to fit a zero-stop to an SHV. I did it with the 3-10x on my NULA .30-06--may post a photo of it soon.

So true!

We were steering bullets at the last range session with an old burris 6x! Good times .
MD and alwaysoutdoors,

I have not been this excited about and optic in a long time. Moving the turrets feels like a heavy duty go and stay where it should piece of engineering. I am also having the same thrill when I move the adjustments on the SWFA 3-9x42 and the big LRHSi 4.5-18x42 that is on my "range gun", a Tikka 6.5 Creed CTR.

It is like an instant improvement in my marksmanship. Shoot, read the target make the adjustments and smile. No more questioning my ability to deliver the shot at 100 yards from the bench, golly.

I see another 3-9 SWFA and SHV in my future.

I see a zero stop in my future, can I fit one to the SWFA 3-9 also?
Posted By: 79S Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
MD and alwaysoutdoors,

I have not been this excited about and optic in a long time. Moving the turrets feels like a heavy duty go and stay where it should piece of engineering. I am also having the same thrill when I move the adjustments on the SWFA 3-9x42 and the big LRHSi 4.5-18x42 that is on my "range gun", a Tikka 6.5 Creed CTR.

It is like an instant improvement in my marksmanship. Shoot, read the target make the adjustments and smile. No more questioning my ability to deliver the shot at 100 yards from the bench, golly.

I see another 3-9 SWFA and SHV in my future.

You need to come to Alaska rifle club shoots here at ft Richardson. Shoot out 600 yds with your Ctr.
I will give that some thought 79S. Is the place you shoot actually on the base and any issues bringing a weapon into the base? I have never shot to 600 yards, I need to practice so I could hit a circus tent at that range.

I think Teddy Roosevelt has a son buried there.
Posted By: 79S Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
I will give that some thought 79S. Is the place you shoot actually on the base and any issues bringing a weapon into the base? I have never shot to 600 yards, I need to practice so I could hit a circus tent at that range.

I think Teddy Roosevelt has a son buried there.

No problem with weapons since it's on the the side with all the ranges. You are not going onto ft rich itself. So no registering weapons. Look up alaska rifle club they will have directions to the range etc. I felt the same way, I shoot ar tactical. I use a ar15 in 223 wylde with swfa 10x. Anyhow once you get your velocities and have a good 100yd zero, just turn your turrets and shoot. I use the hornady ballistic calculator for the most part it's pretty spot on. Aug 3rd we have a Saturday shoot. 300,500 and 600 yds. 60 rds plus sighers.
Posted By: tikka77 Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
i have seen it for sale on Sniper'sHide classifieds section a few times
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19

Yep. A SH user makes and sells them.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
After getting my first SHV, I took a look at the elevation turret construction and found that (like the fixed-power SWFA's) it would allow a simple washer-type zero stop. So I took some measurements and went down to the local hardware store with the biggest selection of stuff. , taking along a dial caliper. Didn't find any washers or similar ready-made stuff that would work just right, like garden-hose washers work in the SWFA's. Eventually bought a PVC pipe coupler with approximately the right dimenions. It cost 69 cents, or maybe it was $1.69.

Anyway, took it home and cut a "washer" off it with a hacksaw, then used files to get the final dimensions right, and it works just fine. You can see it under the elevation turret.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
Hope you don't mind making it bigger.

After getting my first SHV, I took a look at the elevation turret construction and found that (like the fixed-power SWFA's) it would allow a simple washer-type zero stop. So I took some measurements and went down to the local hardware store with the biggest selection of stuff. , taking along a dial caliper. Didn't find any washers or similar ready-made stuff that would work just right, like garden-hose washers work in the SWFA's. Eventually bought a PVC pipe coupler with approximately the right dimenions. It cost 69 cents, or maybe it was $1.69.

Anyway, took it home and cut a "washer" off it with a hacksawn, then used files to get the final dimensions right, and it works just fine. You can see it under the elevation turret.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/20/19
Wow, it would have cost NF a ton of money to make a simple zero stop. SMH

I have a friend whose Dad is a retired machinist, he has a lathe at home, has modified a delrin cleaning rod guide for me , I think I will have him make one of these.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/21/19
That Nightforce would have been a great scope if it was FFP and had a Milquad reticle
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/21/19
Myself, I prefer 2nd focal plane and a plex reticle for the hunting I do.

I have an NXS 2.5-10, and it is 2nd focal plane, but the mil-dot reticle isn't as good for hunting (in my situation) as a plex.

If the situation changes, I'll adapt the equipment to it.

It would be nice if they offered the SHV with 1st focal plane reticle, and a zero stop, both separate options. It is a top-tier hunting scope, no doubt.
Posted By: SWJ Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/21/19
John, would you mind sharing the details of the bases and rings on the NULA? Talley bases and rings?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/21/19
Those are indeed Talleys, the steel model with detachable rings.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/22/19
.........Eventually bought a PVC pipe coupler with approximately the right dimenions. It cost 69 cents, or maybe it was $1.69.

Anyway, took it home and cut a "washer" off it with a hacksaw, then used files to get the final dimensions right, and it works just fine. You can see it under the elevation turret.

Excellent workaround. For folks with access to one a 3D printer is another option.

I think it's important to put the stop a few clicks under 0 so you don't torque it but its simple and effective.
Posted By: SWJ Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/22/19
Those are indeed Talleys, the steel model with detachable rings.

Didn't see them listed on the Talley website? Purchased from Talley or Melvin Forbes.

I am planning on mounting a SHV on my 30-06 CLR/NULA and was going to call Melvin for a set of the 30 mm lightweights. I wasn't aware there were other options!

Thanks for the info

Scott

Thanks for the reply Vic-in-VA
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/22/19

Are these close to what you're looking for?
These might be the rings.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/22/19
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
.........Eventually bought a PVC pipe coupler with approximately the right dimenions. It cost 69 cents, or maybe it was $1.69.

Excellent workaround. For folks with access to one a 3D printer is another option.

I think it's important to put the stop a few clicks under 0 so you don't torque it but its simple and effective.

I am going to measure mine and give it to a guy that has an experimental lab to make some.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/23/19
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I am going to measure mine and give it to a guy that has an experimental lab to make some.

Let us know if you get some in the works. Thanks.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/23/19
JMCUBIC,

"I think it's important to put the stop a few clicks under 0 so you don't torque it but its simple and effective."

That's exactly what I did. NULA's tend to put various loads into a pretty small group at 100 yards, and I already had sighted it in. So filed the stop until it was about 1/4 turn below zero.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/23/19
SWJ,

If I remember correctly, got the steel bases from Talley. I don't see them listed on the website, but others might fit the NULA actions. I'm sure if you call Talley they can help you out.

There were two reasons I used the steel rings instead of the Ultralights. First, I didn't have any NULA 30mm ULs on hand, but more importaantly, the NULA .30-06 is so accurate I often use it for testing scopes--and so light the recoil is enough to separate real scopes from pretenders. The detachable steel rings allow me to mount another scope on the rifle, then replace it precisely with the SHV afterward.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/23/19
JMCUBIC,

"I think it's important to put the stop a few clicks under 0 so you don't torque it but its simple and effective."

That's exactly what I did. NULA's tend to put various loads into a pretty small group at 100 yards, and I already had sighted it in. So filed the stop until it was about 1/4 turn below zero.

John
Thanks for the tip with the zero stop.
Posted By: SWJ Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/23/19
Thanks John, I will give Talley a call.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/23/19
For those who'll be switching scopes around a bit, Talley also makes a pic rail for the NULA rifles. Hopefully the search below will show up correctly. SWFA appear to only have the Model 24 20MOA version in stock but you can see the other options.....if Talley still makes them.... I dislike the extra height of a pic rail but they sure are secure and handy for switching scopes.

https://www.swfa.com/catalogsearch/...ht%20Arms&attachment_style=Picatinny
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Nihtforce SHV - 07/23/19
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Let us know if you get some in the works. Thanks.

Will do, I thought about a retired machinist doing them and then thought it would waste a lot of delrin to do these that way. I am going to get dimensions this weekend and give it to him next week and see what he can do on the 3d printer. FIngers crossed
© 24hourcampfire