Home
Posted By: LCHunter1 Scoping a Rem Mod 7 w/30mm? - 08/13/19
I have a custom Rem Mod 7 (250 AI) that I'm scoping with a Leupold 2-12x 30mm scope and 42mm front. It's very lightweight and I'd like to keep it that way regarding mounts and rings. Rifle has the 4 holes for mounts.

I know I'm pushing it but I'd also like Quick Detach because I've three other Mod 7s too 223, 308 and 358). I realize I'll have to re-sight on different rifles.

QD may not be possible and if not, non-QD will have to do.

I'd appreciate any advice/thoughts regarding mount and ring options out there. Also low or medium.

Thank you.
I’d trade that scope off for a Leupold VX-3 in a 2.5 X 8 with a 1” tube.
Hard to beat on a nice little compact Model 7, IMO.
I think the Burris XTR 2 piece base with a good ring (I prefer Seekins) is the way to go. There are 1 piece rails for the M7 that will do the same but are noticeably higher. The rings aren't truly quick detach but with the star bit (wrench) it's easy enough.

The 700 base has 3 holes in the rear base with spacing for either a 700 or M7.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

That's what my 7 wears.

Agree...I just did this with even a 700 mtn rifle...the vx5hd was nice but just too big imo...model 7 would be same situation...vx3 2.5-8×36 goes good with these rifles.

This , and ditch the QD idea. Buy appropriate scopes for each rifle. In my mind QD is for swapping different scopes on the same rifle not moving scopes from rifle to rifle. You can scope all three rifles with good quality scopes and mounts for less than $900 by buying VX3 or equivalent from the classified.
The VX6 he wants weighs over 1/2 pound more than the 2.5-8, so I wouldn't worry about mount weight. He could buy VX3i's for all his guns for the price of the VX6.
One advantage of light rifles is that you can use somewhat larger, heavier scopes for better low-light performance and/or reliability without the total weight being too burdensome.

Choose a scope for each rifle that best suits its purpose and forget the swap-a-scope idea. Spend the most on the scope for the rifle you use most, then shop for used, bargain, or close-out scopes for the others until you can afford better. I've got a number of decent reliable scopes that cost less than $200 new. Do some research, pick the ones that fit your requirements, then shop around for deals.
Amazon, Natchez, and some others have stuff on sale all the time, and don't forget our pal Doug from Camera Land, who regularly posts good deals.
A 3-12x42 ain't huge. Don't sweat a couple ounces.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/maxima-horiz-30
Posted By: pete53 Re: Scoping a Rem Mod 7 w/30mm? - 08/14/19
i like bigger scopes,the scope you wanna put on that model 7 should work perfect ! the old say`n is bigger is better !
Just wanna add that a swaro z3 3-9×36 would fit into these situations great too if you are of the small scope for smaller rifle camp. Fixed power scopes are nice too...
its not QD but i've put 30mm scopes with 42/44mm objectives on several Model 7s using Talley Lightweights Extra Low. A 30mm tube and 50mm objective requires Talley Lightweight Low rings.
Thanks to all of you! Great wisdom and expert advice. I got the VH6 w/illum. B&C reticle for a ridiculous price! I do have a VX3 3x10 that I love on another rifle. I believe you are right about the QD so that's off the table now. Never had any before so really not familiar. Looking to use it on antelope this fall.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Scoping a Rem Mod 7 w/30mm? - 08/14/19
There was a time when compact lightweight scope was a priority. I still wouldn't go too big, I don't like 50mm objectives nor lots of X's. But I'm finding a bit bigger scope is often worth a little extra weight. And a lighter weight rifle means you can go a little heavier on the scope.
Originally Posted by JMR40
There was a time when compact lightweight scope was a priority. I still wouldn't go too big, I don't like 50mm objectives nor lots of X's. But I'm finding a bit bigger scope is often worth a little extra weight. And a lighter weight rifle means you can go a little heavier on the scope.

Good point...for me the fit, looks and handling kinda get all rolled into one...i wouldn't hesitate to put a Meopta meopro 3-9×40 on a model 7 or 700 mtn rifle...in fact I used to have a .30-06 700 mtn rifle with a zeiss conquest 3-9×40 in talley lightweights...another good combo.
Originally Posted by JMR40

Good point...for me the fit, looks and handling kinda get all rolled into one...i wouldn't hesitate to put a Meopta meopro 3-9×40 on a model 7 or 700 mtn rifle...in fact I used to have a .30-06 700 mtn rifle with a zeiss conquest 3-9×40 in talley lightweights...another good combo.
Decided to go with Tally light mount/rings. We'll see what happens. Thank you all for the great input. Much appreciated.
© 24hourcampfire