Home
Posted By: kalbrecht Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
Looking for a standard rifle scope with the longest eye relief (not a scout or handgun scope). Presently most of me and my wife's hunting rifles wear Leupy 6 x 36mm fixed power scopes. Is their another option with even longer eye relief?
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
Zeiss Conquest or Meopta Meopro 3-9x40 have 4”. The Leupold 6x42 also has a pretty long eye relief.
Posted By: mathman Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
Leupold 2.5x Ultralight
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
Yeah, the 2.5 x ultralight has 4.9" but I was looking for something with a few more X's.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
Nikons seem to have a generous amount.

kwg
Posted By: mathman Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
The 6.5-20 Leupolds have a bunch at lower powers, but those may not suit your purposes.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
I have three Hawke Endurance LERs with 4.5". Discontinued, but still to be found on clearance. ingwe may still have a couple for sale NIB.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
I'll second the Zeiss Conquest/Meopta Meopro 3-9x40. 4" of constant eye relief across the whole power range is hard to beat. They have pretty darn good glass too.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/27/19
The discontinued Nikon Omega had claimed 5" and the one had lived up to that. Disadvantage was the closer parallax, slightly cluttered reticle and shorter tube. Looks like they have been replaced by the Prostaff P3 Muzzleloader.

But a 6x36 Leupold is hard to beat when you factor in the tube length.
Posted By: bersh Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19
I owned two of these, sold them here, regretted it ever since. Great scopes for the money - glass is great, reticle is great, eye relief is great.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...abelas-instinct-eruro-3-9x40-plex-scopes
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
I'll second the Zeiss Conquest/Meopta Meopro 3-9x40. 4" of constant eye relief across the whole power range is hard to beat. They have pretty darn good glass too.

No way to defeat the Laws of Physics... no such thing as truly "constant eye relief" in a variable power scope. Courts have forbidden Zeiss to make that claim.
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

No way to defeat the Laws of Physics... no such thing as truly "constant eye relief" in a variable power scope. Courts have forbidden Zeiss to make that claim.

Sitka, That's been my experience also. When a scope manufacturer claims one eye relief number for a variable scope I call BS
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19
Originally Posted by kalbrecht

Sitka, That's been my experience also. When a scope manufacturer claims one eye relief number for a variable scope I call BS

It may not be exactly the same eye relief from 3-9, but it seems pretty darn close. Much more constant than any Leupold I have owned.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19
Many scopes have very narrow eye relief ranges... The bigger question is what was the compromise?
Posted By: bersh Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19

Technically, you are correct. But rather than 1/2" or more of variance, it's more like 1/4" or less.
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
Looking for a standard rifle scope with the longest eye relief (not a scout or handgun scope). Presently most of me and my wife's hunting rifles wear Leupy 6 x 36mm fixed power scopes. Is their another option with even longer eye relief?

I bought an Athlon Argos 2-10x40 from Doug that almost has too much eye relief. I did a reasonably lengthy write-up of it last year, and found it to be more than servicBly. Ring him up and see if he still has some.

FC
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19

I'll third it. Amazing eye relief on my 3-9 Conquest.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19
It was one of the first aspects of the VX3 that stood out for me. GREAT eye relief on the standard 3-9x40. Generous (to say the least) at any magnification.
Posted By: mathman Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19
Originally Posted by kenjs1
It was one of the first aspects of the VX3 that stood out for me. GREAT eye relief on the standard 3-9x40. Generous (to say the least) at any magnification.

?
Posted By: rcbergs Re: Long Eye Relief - 08/28/19
My wife is short in stature, 5'4" and had problems with eye relief. Even with a shortened length of trigger pull she was not able to get close enough to the objective to see a full picture thru the scope and I was maxed out on moving the scope rearward using standard mounts. I solved the problem by mounting a picatinny rail type mount that allowed me to mount the scope much further back giving her a full view. She is very happy with this setup.
© 24hourcampfire