Home
Posted By: TnBigBore Wide duplex - 09/08/19
I see a lot of hate for the Leupold/Redfield wide duplex reticle, but I happen to find it easy to use. Anyone else here like it.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Wide duplex - 09/08/19
I think there are three guys that have said they like it, including you.
Posted By: murkydismal Re: Wide duplex - 09/08/19
I have 6, have used for years, like better than any other.

But then, I don't really care what others say.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Wide duplex - 09/08/19
I like them, too.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Wide duplex - 09/08/19
Up to 5....
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: Wide duplex - 09/08/19
I like the one I have in a 6x36. I don't use the reticle to range like JB and others do. Also, the center wire thickness on the WD is just a little thicker than the standard Leupold duplex. I've found that after my 6x36 duplex center wires have faded, I can still see the WD wires. Not much of a difference but it's there.
Posted By: RGK Re: Wide duplex - 09/08/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Up to 5....

Six.
Bob
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
Seven.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
Not me, count me as a heavy duplex fan for shooting game under a quarter-mile.
Posted By: Youper Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
I've never found anything I could like about the wide-duplex.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
I like the one I have in a 2.5 compact fixed power scope but it has a reticle subtension that is 1.4" at the thin section and 4.3" at the thick section. Compare that to a Heavy duplex on a 6x Leupold with a subtension of 1.0" and 2.9"
Posted By: Rooney Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
I like them...have 2
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by Youper
I've never found anything I could like about the wide-duplex.

I am with you on that, luckily I only have one that I have been threatening to send back for years, on the other side of the spectrum I have a Leupold varmint with target cross hairs, horrible for anything but shooting targets
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
TnBigBore: No - do not use them do not like them do not want one.
I have used the standard Du-Plex (fine Du-Plex) in my Big game and Varmint scopes since day one (the day Leupold patented the term "Du-Plex") when they started offering them for sale.
The "wide" Du-Plex can work but not nearly as well as the standard Du-Plex.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
I love them. Nice and simple. Bold. My preferred reticule.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
I like the original duplex design but don’t like the wide version. Even at the highest magnification, the thick portion of the crosshairs is too far apart to use as a rangefinder (unless you’re going after elephants 😊) or as a long range aiming point.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Wide duplex - 09/09/19
Apparently a lot of people who like the Wide Duplex would LOVE plain crosshairs--which is what the Leupold Duplex was supposed to improve on in the first place. Though it was basically just a version of European reticles that had been used for decades.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wide duplex - 09/10/19
Dont mind the wide duplex.

Do not like plain crosshair or target dot.

Didnt mind CPC on my fixed 10x for chucks.

Like reg duplex over fine duplex. Even on varmints.

Hate heavy duplex
Posted By: Nrut Re: Wide duplex - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Apparently a lot of people who like the Wide Duplex would LOVE plain crosshairs--which is what the Leupold Duplex was supposed to improve on in the first place. Though it was basically just a version of European reticles that had been used for decades.

LOVE the plain crosshairs??
Not really..
Have only one Wide Duplex (6X42) and have no problem with it..
Posted By: RinB Re: Wide duplex - 09/10/19

My favorite, wide duplex.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Wide duplex - 09/10/19
I've lost count. But it's interesting...

I really like the FireDot Duplex in the VXR 3-9x40. Perfect for a plex reticle. Heavy Duplex too. I don't understand why, regarding the Wide?
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Wide duplex - 09/10/19
There are several very useful reticles.

I can’t think of any advantage the Leupold wide duplex offers. Can’t use it for holdover, can’t see it at last light (not like Heavy Duplex).

Maybe acceptable for dialing/long range. Except Leupold scopes are notorious, and have been for pretty much forever, as terrible dialing scopes. Have you ever tried to sight in a 6x36? You kind of have to guess how many clicks it will take to move an inch. Sometimes 4. Sometimes 1. Sometimes 16. They do hold zero pretty well. Which is why the LRD is a good reticle.

I use both 6x36 and 6x42 scopes regularly. I have none with the wide duplex.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Wide duplex - 09/10/19
I don't use the reticle for ranging as most of my shots are 250 yards or less. I am able to see the crosshairs right up until about dark and have not felt handicapped by it to this point. I guess the reason I like it is because it is one of two reticles used in the Redfield Revolution scopes and I don't like the accurange reticle. I really like the Redfield as light, compact set and forget scope.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wide duplex - 09/10/19
I dont have problems w wide duplex at start or end of legal light.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Wide duplex - 09/12/19
I too like the wide duplex.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Wide duplex - 09/12/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I really like the FireDot Duplex in the VXR 3-9x40. Perfect for a plex reticle. Heavy Duplex too. I don't understand why, regarding the Wide?

+1

© 24hourcampfire