Home
Posted By: DoeDumper Another scope failure..... - 09/13/19
Had a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 bite the dust today. Nothing obvious that I could find but the fact it was mounted on my nearly recoil free T3 Lite Stainless 243 makes it even more laughable. Got a 9 inch group out of one of its pet loads. Tried it again with another of its favored loads and got a 7 inch group. This makes the 3rd scope failure in the last year for me. A ZA-5 Minox and a Bushnell Bone Collector also bit the dust. These are all set and forget scopes. Inexcusable... I have had great luck with Nikon but after seeing their warranty announcement I will be looking elsewhere. How are the Burris scopes working out? Never tried one but I havent read about a lot of failures from them. This scope had around 700 rounds. The ZA5 was just over a 1000 and the Bone Collector was under 100. I shouldve paid closer attention to all the negative reviews on Vortex junk on here.
Looks to me like you have a rifle that eats scopes. Some do, you know. A ZA-5 and a Bone Collector went south on the same rifle, and somehow they aren't junk? Methinks you need to blame something other than the scope(s). Three for three should tell you something.
I'd go Burris E1.
SWFA. How do rifles eat scopes? If there is very little recoil, then I see no way that can be an issue.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/13/19
Cheap scopes do cheap things.
Only had one Leupold go south on me and that was 40 years old at the time. Leupold fixed it for free and now my brother-in-law has been using it for the last 6 years with no problems.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Only had one Leupold go south on me and that was 40 years old at the time. Leupold fixed it for free and now my brother-in-law has been using it for the last 6 years with no problems.

This, but it was 8 yo on a 22-250. Compact 2x8.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/13/19
I bought a brand new in box E1 a couple months back and while shooting and adjusting the windage quit clicking while making a change. Sent back to burris and about 5 weeks got it back repaired. Thought they would have replaced it but they didn't. First out of half a dozen over time that needed to be repaired,nice scopes though.
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Looks to me like you have a rifle that eats scopes. Some do, you know. A ZA-5 and a Bone Collector went south on the same rifle, and somehow they aren't junk? Methinks you need to blame something other than the scope(s). Three for three should tell you something.

NOT the same rifle. ZA5 was on a 270 and the Bone Collector on a 7-08.
If that's the case, the Vortex lasted about seven times as long as the Bone Collector.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

Yes this, everyone knows nothing short of Alfa glass will stand up to a .243.
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
If that's the case, the Vortex lasted about seven times as long as the Bone Collector.

That's about as big of a win as finishing 2nd place in a gun fight isn't it?
I wouldn't know about a gunfight, but I won a knife fight a number of years ago.
Some guys should maybe learn how to use iron sights.
Or just not buy Vortex scopes.
SWFA 3-9x42 HD

SWFA 3-15

Nightforce SHV 3-10

All will get your job done without breaking. Only downside is some extra weight.
Posted By: hanco Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/14/19
My Leupolds have held up well, so did my old Denver made Redfield scopes.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/14/19
I had two new scopes fail today.
Just received two back from warranty..... I am having a bad luck streak lately.
The first failure was an Athlon Midas tac, wouldn't track. They sent me a new one no questions asked. New one tracks.
The second was a SWFA 6x wouldn't track, they sent a new one... sold it.
The next is a Vortex Razor adjust 1 moa it moves 3 moa... wtf
Finally a Burris Veracity... parallax is a joke can't dial it out and wont focus... time to box them up and send them back.

The craziest thing today my Leupold worked and adjusted perfect.... crazy... usually the Leupold's are the problem child for me

None of these are top end scopes but they aren't bottom end either
I've had two scope failures in 47 yrs of hunting. A VX3 wouldn't track (not even close), and a Swaro A3's erector went bad during a mule deer hunt.......while shooting at a big buck.
Posted By: JimH Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/14/19
Only rich people can afford cheap scopes...
Stuff happens, but a Minox ZA-5 is not what I would call a "cheap" scope. Burris FF is a decent scope that has worked well for me. The Veracity not so much, even after a trip to Burris.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/14/19
I had a Vortex Diamondback 4-12, that was bad new out of the box.
I have had 6 scopes fail over the years out of maybe 50 ish.
1 leupold vx-II Wouldn't hold zero fixed and sold
1 Burris fullfield 2 would dial left and right was sent a new one still on an old 243
4 vortex 3 vipers 2 wouldn't track and one wouldn't hold zero , 1 razor hd lh side focus quit working all 4 fixed and all 4 sold
I have 6 leupolds still all work great
Have 1 other burris works great
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/14/19
Am I to understand that scopes other than Leupolds fail sometimes?
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Am I to understand that scopes other than Leupolds fail sometimes?

Heresy, and everyone around here knows it.
Posted By: szihn Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/14/19
Is "made in China" a common factor in all 3 of your failures?
i dove into the Vortex pool once. new out of the box diamond back on a savage 22 mag. shot a shotgun pattern at 50 yards, couldn't hit the backboard at 100.
swapped it out for a tasco something i had laying around and the 22 mag shot little bitty holes at 100.
got the vortex replaced and sold it.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by deerstalker
i dove into the Vortex pool once. new out of the box diamond back on a savage 22 mag. shot a shotgun pattern at 50 yards, couldn't hit the backboard at 100.
swapped it out for a tasco something i had laying around and the 22 mag shot little bitty holes at 100.
got the vortex replaced and sold it.

I had that experience with an expensive Burris 8-32X. It was on a heavy barrel .223 which I thought was shot out because it had 2,000 rounds through it. I'm used to magnums. A friend told me I could get thousands of accurate shots from a .223. I replaced the Burris with a Tasco 6-24X. The next five shots at 100 measured .312".
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

Yep, and Expensive scopes do expensive things.
I wouldn’t really recommend the diamondback line from vortex. However, the warranty is pretty good so you can send it back and get a new one for free, or use it as a credit for a more expensive scope I believe. But the viper line is about as low as I’d go from vortex. Just my opinion.
This is a Vortex. Who the hell names a scope after the swirl in the toilet?

[Linked Image from previews.123rf.com]
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Another scope failure..... - 09/15/19
Had a Weaver 2-7(Marksmen I think on a .270.),bought new made in America fog. Weaver just changed hands, Winchester maybe and the warranty meant nothing.That scope replaced a Japanese Tasco 3-9 that still is working on a 30-06.

Bought a Simmons 1.5X4.5 and had it puke. Had the receipt from Bass Pro and they replaced the scope with a 10pt 1.5x6. Had the original 30 years. Never liked it but liked its replacement. That said old Redfields and Weavers still work but the glass isn’t coated like today’s.
© 24hourcampfire