Home
Posted By: micky SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
I am thinking about getting one of these for a 243. I have never seen either. Is the extra magnification worth the lower quality glass? Is the AO worth it on the 3-15? What's the opinions on these for a hunting rifle.
Posted By: Holston Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
I like the 3-15s, and having the AO is handy at the range, and in the field at higher magnifications.

I have the 3-9s on my hunting rifles and much prefer those to the 3-15 for that application.

My eyes don't see a big difference in the glass between the two.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
I have a 3-9 in a .243. For hunting it is plenty. I have not seen a 3-15x, but unless you are hunting small animals at extreme ranges, the AO is probably not needed.
the glass is the 3-9 is close or on par with a 3-9 Zeiss I have.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
If you are scoping a light weight rifle, it'll probably feel top-heavy to some with either scope.

The weight difference is about 5 oz between the two scopes, and the 3-9 is not much smaller in bulk than the 3-15.

As far as glass in HD or not on these, between mine, I've reached the age where the difference is somewhat mute.

You'll have to decide if you're shooting far enough to need the extra magnification, but for hunting, you're probably not.

I like the SWFA scopes, in fixed and variable, and wouldn't hesitate to use either one.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
The 3-15 is my favorite prairie dog scope.
Posted By: timl Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
I have both and like them a lot, I actually chose the 3-9 over a Nightforce SHV. I think it depends on what you’re doing with the 243.
Posted By: micky Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
My plans are a deer rifle, little woods work, might shoot a groundhog at 3-400 yards. Nothing to wild, simple, versatile, and works.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by micky
My plans are a deer rifle, little woods work, might shoot a groundhog at 3-400 yards. Nothing to wild, simple, versatile, and works.

I would go with the 3-9x for that situation, and enjoy the HD glass for what its worth with a bit lighter weight.
Posted By: micky Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
Kind of what I have been thinking, but since I haven't seen either I thought I would ask folk with hands on experience. I'm in no rush rush right now and might wait for the black Friday / cyber Monday sale because I'm cheap.
Posted By: timl Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by micky

The 3-9 would be my pick for those purposes.
Posted By: jeeper Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/19/19

Never had a 3-15 but love the 3-9 I have . No hang ups with it , it just works.
Posted By: rwa3006 Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/20/19
I have both. Can't tell much difference in the glass. The 3-15 is a bit hard to get behind above 12 power and the turrets on the 3-9 are lower profile along with not having the parallax knob of the 3-15. Love them both and my choice between the two would come down to how obtrusive of turrets I would allow on a particular rifle.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/20/19
I think it depends on your use of the scopes. if you are mostly shooting at the range, I think the 3-15 is the best. I love the 3-15 power range, but out of all the SWFA line the 3-15's reticle choices are my least liked. The SFP reticle is too fine in that model. I bought one and sent it back because of it. The FFP model is ok if you run the scope on higher powers, ie above 9-10x most of the time. so if it range use, get the FFP 3-15 model. The 3-9 isn't bad, the FFP reticle is still useable on low power although I haven't shot one in field conditions on low power. but it looked pretty good on the dreary day I stopped in to SWFA and looked at all of them. I sure wished they made a second focal plane 3-9, probably would buy 3 if they did. I still want to buy one even though FFP is far from my choice on that power range scope.
Posted By: atse Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/20/19
I have both and use the 3x15 the most, but for your purposes, the 3x9 would probably be the best. The turrets on the 3x9 are definitely better. They are smaller and stiffer, which prevent accidental turning which can occur with the 3x 15. Once you get used to the mil quad reticle you will love it. It's an excellent all around reticle.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/20/19
I really like the 3-9, I have a few of them. The 3-15 are nice too but I prefer the 3-9, the glass seems nicer and I like the turrets better.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/21/19
Get the 3-9. Trust me.
Posted By: micky Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/21/19
It's not often on a message board there seems to be such a consensus. I will take that as a sign. Looks like a SS 3-9HD is in my future.
Posted By: Lw308 Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
Does the zero stop shims kits work on the 3-9? He might look into some of those if he goes this route.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
Yes
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
Make sure you hear from Tim before sending payment. There’s a few of us on Sniper’s Hide who are stumped as to what’s going on with him at the moment. He’s been on the site recently but a few of us have paid over 3 weeks ago and tried to contacting him multiple times to no avail.

Edit - He just emailed me, all is well.
Posted By: koshkin Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I think it depends on your use of the scopes. if you are mostly shooting at the range, I think the 3-15 is the best. I love the 3-15 power range, but out of all the SWFA line the 3-15's reticle choices are my least liked. The SFP reticle is too fine in that model. I bought one and sent it back because of it. The FFP model is ok if you run the scope on higher powers, ie above 9-10x most of the time. so if it range use, get the FFP 3-15 model. The 3-9 isn't bad, the FFP reticle is still useable on low power although I haven't shot one in field conditions on low power. but it looked pretty good on the dreary day I stopped in to SWFA and looked at all of them. I sure wished they made a second focal plane 3-9, probably would buy 3 if they did. I still want to buy one even though FFP is far from my choice on that power range scope.

There are many SFP 3-9x scopes out on the market. Or are you specifically looking for SWFA's reticle in a SFP scope?

ILya
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by koshkin

There are many SFP 3-9x scopes out on the market. Or are you specifically looking for SWFA's reticle in a SFP scope?

ILya

I am extremely well aware of this. I own them already. I just want SWFA robustness, I also think FFP is the place for very much higher scope power and that SFP is a better fit for optics in this power range. I don't give a crap what the hash marks measure when I am on low power. its point and shoot. When I want to use those hash marks on a 3x9 I will be at max power everytime. I till think that model is a great scope and might buy one anyways though. I just think SFP is a better fit.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
Well over half the animals that I have killed with the 3-9x SWFA using the reticle for wind or elevation has been on less than 9x.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
CC is a retard. Always has been, always will be..... grin
Posted By: GregW Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Well over half the animals that I have killed with the 3-9x SWFA using the reticle for wind or elevation has been on less than 9x.

CC is basing his analysis on a parking lot analysis on a dreary day, not killing stuff Formid....grin...
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19

most rifles shoot without hold over to 250-300 yards. Also at that distance your not going to be needing to do any hold off for wind either most likely . If I am shooting beyond that distance I am jacking the scope to max power instantly, 9x isn't too much power, I routinely max out my NXS compact on 10x to make shots at 300 and beyond. I am simply not taking shots at 4, 5 6x or whatever x besides max if I feel I need more power. shoot however you want, I am just saying I would rather a low power scope like that be second focal plane. if you want it first, to that I say fine. I don't need anyone elses approval. its still a good scope either way and I may buy one anyways.

greg GFY, your on block like mtn boomer.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/23/19
Another vote for the 3-9, the 3-15 is a large scope.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
CC is a retard. Always has been, always will be..... grin

Like!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19

most rifles shoot without hold over to 250-300 yards. Also at that distance your not going to be needing to do any hold off for wind either most likely . If I am shooting beyond that distance I am jacking the scope to max power instantly, 9x isn't too much power, I routinely max out my NXS compact on 10x to make shots at 300 and beyond. I am simply not taking shots at 4, 5 6x or whatever x besides max if I feel I need more power. shoot however you want, I am just saying I would rather a low power scope like that be second focal plane. if you want it first, to that I say fine. I don't need anyone elses approval. its still a good scope either way and I may buy one anyways.

Retard. LOL
Posted By: koshkin Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
One of the main advantages of FFP is that there is no compelling need to pay any attention to what exact magnification you are on. Dial it to whatever is appropriate for the situation.

Ilya
Posted By: GregW Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
[quote=Formidilosus]Well over half the animals that I have killed with the 3-9x SWFA using the reticle for wind or elevation has been on less than 9x. [/quote

No need to get offended. Am I wrong? I've killed bunches of stuff with both scopes, in all conditions, and your assessment is about like a parking lot assessment. I know you think you're an optics guru so I know it's hard for you to take. No need for the drama...
He's been whining about SWFA 3-9s, it seems, since before the Mil Quad!
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
One of the main advantages of FFP is that there is no compelling need to pay any attention to what exact magnification you are on. Dial it to whatever is appropriate for the situation.

Ilya

koskin, aren't you an optics guru? one of the down sides of FFP is you can't see the f'ing reticle on low power have you considered that? Now this particular scope discussed isn't aweful at low power, like so many other FFP scopes. but if it was SFP the reticle sure would be bolder for low light. Also those wonderful little ticks that measure exactly the same no matter the power. What happens if you can't make out the little ticks on the lower powers? What good is it for them all to match in measure? the fact is it doesn't. I never said FFP doesn't have its place, its place is very high powered optics 6-24, etc. If you have some sort of reason to be off max power and need the features of the reticle. That could be dialing down for mirage, or shooting moving targets. ie tactical shooting, FFP is your choice. but then again most people are using their scopes at the gun range and NOT out in the field or in the desert. My hunting scopes are either set to lowest power(most of the time) and only dialed to MAX power when I need the features of the reticle. I could care less what the reticle measures at 7.25x power, because I am not using the scope with the reticle at that power. shots are either point and shoot. ie under 300 yards, OR beyond that at which point I am flicking the scope the max power. This is a hunting forum not a tactical forum. Thats how I do it, The use for FFP in the field I have personally found is colony varmints. but then again I am normally just guess my followup shots, ie missed 5 inches right. next shot add in 5 inches to make up the difference. I don't take the time to think oh am I holding a certain exact amount.
^Case in point.
Posted By: pointer Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
Though I've never seen a 3-15; the 3-9HD is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Used it last week on pronghorn in WY. Worked perfectly. My 12yo liked it well enough he's bugging me to put one on the rifle he uses. laugh

The butt-hurt is sure strong in the "hunting/truck window sticker capital" it seems...
Posted By: koshkin Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19

Ilya

koskin, aren't you an optics guru? one of the down sides of FFP is you can't see the f'ing reticle on low power have you considered that? Now this particular scope discussed isn't aweful at low power, like so many other FFP scopes. but if it was SFP the reticle sure would be bolder for low light. Also those wonderful little ticks that measure exactly the same no matter the power. What happens if you can't make out the little ticks on the lower powers? What good is it for them all to match in measure? the fact is it doesn't. I never said FFP doesn't have its place, its place is very high powered optics 6-24, etc. If you have some sort of reason to be off max power and need the features of the reticle. That could be dialing down for mirage, or shooting moving targets. ie tactical shooting, FFP is your choice. but then again most people are using their scopes at the gun range and NOT out in the field or in the desert. My hunting scopes are either set to lowest power(most of the time) and only dialed to MAX power when I need the features of the reticle. I could care less what the reticle measures at 7.25x power, because I am not using the scope with the reticle at that power. shots are either point and shoot. ie under 300 yards, OR beyond that at which point I am flicking the scope the max power. This is a hunting forum not a tactical forum. Thats how I do it, The use for FFP in the field I have personally found is colony varmints. but then again I am normally just guess my followup shots, ie missed 5 inches right. next shot add in 5 inches to make up the difference. I don't take the time to think oh am I holding a certain exact amount.

Noone is telling you how to hunt or which scope to use or how to use that scope. Do whatever rocks your boat.

However, this being a public forum, a healthy discussion of different preferences does not hurt.

Weirdly enough, I have considered how FFP reticles look on different powers. I have spent a fair amount of time designing reticles for a few different companies covering a good range of both FFP and SFP scopes.

Well designed FFP reticles usually look like a simple plex or #4 on low power. Various compensation and ranging features start becoming prominent enough to easily see as the magnification goes up and where exactly in the mag range it is really depends on which scope it is and who designed the reticle. There are some designs out there I am not hugely excited about and some that are very good. Overall, everyone is getting better at this since the competition is significant.

I have a couple of the SWFA 3-9x42 scopes and with them the hashmarks are quite usable from 5x onward which is about right, IMO, for a scope of this type. It is really not all that complicated to make a FFP reticle that maintains good visibiity across the power range.

ILya

However, this being a public forum, a healthy discussion of different preferences does not hurt.

ILya

agreed, the problem we see here is group and pack mentality. Its like global warming. everyone agrees so it must be correct. I personally feel the industry is too fixated and that most shooters would be generally best served with optics that have less power than the ones currently being pushed. For a hunting scope I see no need for a scope to be greater than 15-16x on the high end. I can shoot half MOA with a 3.5-15x nightforce @1000 yards. If I was always shooting that far might I pick a scope with more power, probably. but 1000 yards is really too far for anyone to be regularly shooting at big game animals, and 15x on the high end still gets the job done. When I shoot at an animal and the shot requires hold over or holding off or anything more than point and shoot. I am not rushing a shot of this nature. If you use a scope of 15x or less there is no reason not to just crank the scope to max. So what changed in the optics business? why were all the older scopes SFP? because they were generally less power and were designed for hunting. FFP has been popularized by tactical shooting and PRS style shooting. which is a totally different shooting dynamic. Maybe a quick shot at 400+ yards at something moving is desired. In which case there is a good reason to not be on max power to make that shot. Since the optic maxs at 25x on the high end, its desired to not be on max power because of mirage OR because more FOV is desired. Again all benefits of FFP.

both scope designs have a trade off. No one seems to care to acknowledge this around here. its like FFP or nothing. You yourself said the markings on FFP aren't useable on the lowest powers. they are only use able at mid to high power. That is still a trade off and most definitely not usable at any power like so many people claim. For a hunting scope, you need ONE thing most importantly, you need to be able to actually see the reticle on the lowest power and in the lowest light because that is when animals are most likely seen. early in the morning or late in the evening. Low light performance is a huge deal. illuminate the reticle some would say. Ok what if the scope got left on and the battery is out? what if the battery isn't working and is dead because you forgot to replace it? The illumination argument is monkeying around too much and its not ideal anyways in low light.

lastly, koshkin, what scopes do you feel offer FFP AND acceptable reticle visibility on the very lowest power without illumination? the 3x9 SWFA scope isn't bad, what others?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19

what scopes do you feel offer FFP AND acceptable reticle visibility on the very lowest power without illumination? the 3x9 SWFA scope isn't bad, what others?

Bushy LRHS with circle of death
Posted By: irfubar Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19

ILya

agreed, the problem we see here is group and pack mentality. Its like global warming. everyone agrees so it must be correct. I personally feel the industry is too fixated and that most shooters would be generally best served with optics that have less power than the ones currently being pushed. For a hunting scope I see no need for a scope to be greater than 15-16x on the high end. I can shoot half MOA with a 3.5-15x nightforce @1000 yards. If I was always shooting that far might I pick a scope with more power, probably. but 1000 yards is really too far for anyone to be regularly shooting at big game animals, and 15x on the high end still gets the job done. When I shoot at an animal and the shot requires hold over or holding off or anything more than point and shoot. I am not rushing a shot of this nature. If you use a scope of 15x or less there is no reason not to just crank the scope to max. So what changed in the optics business? why were all the older scopes SFP? because they were generally less power and were designed for hunting. FFP has been popularized by tactical shooting and PRS style shooting. which is a totally different shooting dynamic. Maybe a quick shot at 400+ yards at something moving is desired. In which case there is a good reason to not be on max power to make that shot. Since the optic maxs at 25x on the high end, its desired to not be on max power because of mirage OR because more FOV is desired. Again all benefits of FFP.

both scope designs have a trade off. No one seems to care to acknowledge this around here. its like FFP or nothing. You yourself said the markings on FFP aren't useable on the lowest powers. they are only use able at mid to high power. That is still a trade off and most definitely not usable at any power like so many people claim. For a hunting scope, you need ONE thing most importantly, you need to be able to actually see the reticle on the lowest power and in the lowest light because that is when animals are most likely seen. early in the morning or late in the evening. Low light performance is a huge deal. illuminate the reticle some would say. Ok what if the scope got left on and the battery is out? what if the battery isn't working and is dead because you forgot to replace it? The illumination argument is monkeying around too much and its not ideal anyways in low light.

lastly, koshkin, what scopes do you feel offer FFP AND acceptable reticle visibility on the very lowest power without illumination? the 3x9 SWFA scope isn't bad, what others?

Can't argue with that logic......
Originally Posted by JGRaider

what scopes do you feel offer FFP AND acceptable reticle visibility on the very lowest power without illumination? the 3x9 SWFA scope isn't bad, what others?

I hear ya. I would only agree with you on the 4.5-18 version. I would NOT agree with you on the 3-12 version. I think the SWFA 3x9 is better on lowest power in low light than the LRHS 3-12, I still hate to see bushnell quit making the LRHS models though 3-12 or otherwise.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
One caveat would be shooting a SFP scope at max power in low light. Gonna be really hard to see much of anything at 15x with a tiny exit pupil in really low light.
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
One caveat would be shooting a SFP scope at max power in low light. Gonna be really hard to see much of anything at 15x with a tiny exit pupil in really low light.

exit pupil is the same FFP Or SFP and is a function of the scopes power setting and its objective size. but either way your going to see less scope brightness as the scope goes beyond about a 4:1 ratio. if its a 40mm scope that is going to be 10x+, if its 50mm its going to be 12x+ that is probably why you see a darker image on 15x

exit pupil is the same FFP Or SFP and is a function of the scopes power setting and its objective size. but either way your going to see less scope brightness as the scope goes beyond about a 4:1 ratio. if its a 40mm scope that is going to be 10x+, if its 50mm its going to be 12x+ that is probably why you see a darker image on 15x

My point exactly - if you have SFP scope, you may need to turn it down from max power at last light, making your reticle incorrect and then you'd have to do the math on your subtensions.

My point exactly - if you have SFP scope, you may need to turn it down from max power at last light, making your reticle incorrect and then you'd have to do the math on your subtensions.
. That is a great point I do not generally find myself making those long shots at last light though. It’s all a trade off. I love cussing and discussing optics
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
At last light windage subtensions won't be visible in a fine reticle unless it's illuminated.

. That is a great point I do not generally find myself making those long shots at last light though. It’s all a trade off. I love cussing and discussing optics

I can say after some experience last week with the 3-15 at last light on the range I would not want to be shooting it at an animal at last light at 15x, but I don't have an issue shooting 300-400 at 9x or so in low light. IF I wanted to use the reticle, I'd be up sh*t creek trying to make a split second decision if I had a 3-15 SFP in that situation. Even if I memorized what the reticle subtended at 9x, I'd have to make sure I was EXACTLY on that, and have verified that prior on the range.
Posted By: screaminweasil Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
Just dial with a reliable 2nd focal and be done with it. If I have time to range the animal, I have an extra 3 seconds to dial my dope. Hold over rets are for playing games, not shooting them.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19

ILya

Yup, kind of like the "round earth'ers". Just a bunch of group think and pack mentality. If you happened to believe that the Earth is flat, you get slammed with people saying you're wrong...Or just maybe, most people on here individually disagree with you about this, and it has nothing to do with group think or pack mentality.

The hashmark subtensions on an FFP scope are consistent at any magnification, that doesn't mean that they're usable or visible. Being visible/usable at mid to high-magnification is advantageous because you don't HAVE to crank the scope for the subtensions to be correct. Or if you forget to crank up the mag and shoot on mid power, the subtensions are GTG.

The benefit to SFP is if you require an ultra-fine subtension when dialing magnification to the upper range, and are shooting at static distances.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I think the SWFA 3x9 is better on lowest power in low light than the LRHS 3-12

Have you used both in low light to compare them? I have, and the coarse details are plenty visible on minimum magnification. The fine details (hashmarks) not so much, but they are not really needed on minimum mag in low light...
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Just dial with a reliable 2nd focal and be done with it. If I have time to range the animal, I have an extra 3 seconds to dial my dope. Hold over rets are for playing games, not shooting them.

Wind and spotting shots are best done with the reticle...
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
I have a SWFA 3-9 HD on a T3X Superlite 6.5 Creed. I bought the rifle for the grandkids to use on every thing in Alaska except or coastal grizzlies and they will be with me or their Dad when hunting. I also want my grandkids to learn the mil system with me. I had a SWFA 3-15 FFP that I was going to put on my AR10 in 6.5 Creed, but ended up selling them both due to size and weight. The 3-9 is ok on the Superlite and should allow 500 yard hits at the range and help the gun to be a good 300 yard performer.

I put a 28 ounce Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHSi on a 24" Tikka CTR 6.5 Creed. It is a range gun and I will not be carrying it around Alaska. It's a heavy set up and I try to keep the combined weight of hunting rifles under 8 pounds.

We are first and foremost moose and caribou hunters and occasionally a bear. My .338 Winny wears a 3-10 SHVi with the Forceplex reticle and it is a good scope for hunting Alaskan critters. One of the reasons so many Alaskan hunters I know use Leupold's is because walking in Alaska with a heavy pack can be tough so they try to cut rifle weight and Leupold's are light weight scopes with great eye relief. None of the guys I know are twisting turrets when hunting, that includes the sheep and caribou hunters. But, if one watches TV every one twists turrets.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/24/19
So, it seems like the easy answer is still the 3-9HD here. Usable on 3x with no problem in low light, and holdoff-usable at mid to high powers in any light.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by screaminweasil

Wind and spotting shots are best done with the reticle...

3 posts in a a row and I can't find anything to disagree with. if I have some money on black friday I will pony up on a 3x9 and see how I like it, one point you kinda touch on is the fine sub tensions. being a MOA guy, I think MOA is a tuffer sell in FFP, I think the mil spacing generally works better for FFP. if you want to have a MOA reticle in FFP you really need to go 2 MOA spacing which IMO isn't ideal.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/25/19
I really like my 3-9 SS's. I have a ffp 3-15 and just don't like it as well. The 3-9 glass is better. Unless you need 15 power go 3-9.

Bb
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/25/19
I have a few of the 3-15 and 3-9. I like both a lot especially for $450-$500 Black Friday pricing. Can’t really go wrong with either honestly.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/25/19
Wasn't there a guy that bought a SWFA 3-9 Mil Quad and didn't like it?
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/25/19
Just posted a 3-9 in the classifieds!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7/swfa-ss-3-9x42-hd-milquad#Post14150957
$425! Someone jump!
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/25/19
Dammit!
Dammit!

Indeed.
Posted By: koshkin Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/25/19

ILya

Just to be clear, are you accusing me of group think? I was promoting FFP since the day I learned such a thing existed.

On most hunting scopes being SFP in the olden days: only in the US and, weirdly, a lot of it was due to US hunters having legal light limits. In Europe, FFP was a lot more common mostly because they needed better reticle visiblity for night hunting. A ton of old SFP hunting scopes have reticles that are too thin for low light use, but they worked great when sighting in at 100 yards, so that's what people wanted. Why do you think Leupold always had standard duplex and heavy duplex? Heavy duplex was mostly for people who actually use their scopes, while thin duplex was for people who show off their 100 yard groups.

On magnification: we are in full agreement. An average hunter can't tell his ass from an elbow as far as scopes go most of the time, so he assume bigger is better. I field these question every day. People send me e-mail with questions whether their 6-24x scope is enough magnificaiton to shoot a deer inside of 100 yards. This happens often enough that I have several prepared answers I can copy and past.

Both designs do have tradeoffs and we disagree where those tradeoffs are. To me, SFP is at its best in blister pack scopes because they are cheaper to make and in high magnification static target scopes. For just about everything else I am firmly in the FFP camp.

Appropriate reticle illumination is most certainly the way the industry is going, whether you like it or not. Battery issues are nicely resolved with auto shutoff features and more efficient illumination. You may not like it, but that is where things are going. For example, in the excellent Blaser 1-7x28 scope I tested not long ago the reticle is DESIGNED to virtually disappear on 1x, so that the large illuminated dot looks like a reflex sight with no distractions. It is not a tactical scope. They want that 1x performance for driven hunts and stuff like that.

On current FFP scopes that are designed for good low power reticle visbility without illumination: there aren't that many because it is not a design goal for all that many. Off the top of my head, here are the ones I can come up with: SWFA 3-9x42, Bushnell LRHS with G2 reticle, March 3-24x52 and 3-24x42 with several reticles, higher mag Blaser Infinity scopes, Meopta Meostar 3-12x56, Burris Veracity, several S&B scopes.

More on low light use: when things slow down in low light, for a lot of people I know, it is pretty common to bump magnification up a bit to 5-6x or so where there is a good compromise between magnification and exit pupil. It seems like with a scope like SWFA 3-9x42, 3.5x where the sight tunneling goes away is most commonly used in decent light where you might be presented with a quick shot offhand. At least, that's how I tend to use it. For most other situations I tend to bump up magnification a little bit with 6x being very common. The scope goes on 9x for sighting in and, once in a while, when I really have time to shoot.

ILya
Posted By: STS45 Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/29/19
I can't even finish this thread. I'm so glad I actually listened to a couple VERY serious hunters and shooters (hint several have posted in this thread) and bought a couple SWFA 6x and 3-9's with the mil-quad reticle. Had it not been for their experience I would have NEVER, EVER bought what I thought was a garbage scope brand. I didn't know what I didn't know.

The 3-9 is excellent if you actually get out and shoot with it at various ranges, so is the 6X. Get out of the parking lot, spend day learning the scope, its adjustments, your drops, etc and shoot at various distances. Trust me you will be sold. These scopes took me from a very average shooter who thought 350 yards was a stretch to comfortably ringing steel at 838 yards (farthest my range goes). I actually favor the 6X over the 2-9, and didn't care at all for the 3-15. Shooting these SWFA scopes also made me realize I was using magnification as a crutch.

The thing I like about these scopes is they have just made hunting and shooting easy for me. Meaning I don't need to think about scopes. They just work. I know they work. They are proven, easy to use, easy to shoot at distance with, repeatable. Anymore I get burned out thinking about gear all the time and whats better, or should I switch blah blah blah. I couldn't even tell you what all the new scopes are because I don't care. I'm not competing, I'm not in the military anymore, I just like to hunt.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA 3-9 HD or 3-15 - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by STS45
I can't even finish this thread. I'm so glad I actually listened to a couple VERY serious hunters and shooters (hint several have posted in this thread) and bought a couple SWFA 6x and 3-9's with the mil-quad reticle. Had it not been for their experience I would have NEVER, EVER bought what I thought was a garbage scope brand. I didn't know what I didn't know.

The 3-9 is excellent if you actually get out and shoot with it at various ranges, so is the 6X. Get out of the parking lot, spend day learning the scope, its adjustments, your drops, etc and shoot at various distances. Trust me you will be sold. These scopes took me from a very average shooter who thought 350 yards was a stretch to comfortably ringing steel at 838 yards (farthest my range goes). I actually favor the 6X over the 2-9, and didn't care at all for the 3-15. Shooting these SWFA scopes also made me realize I was using magnification as a crutch.

The thing I like about these scopes is they have just made hunting and shooting easy for me. Meaning I don't need to think about scopes. They just work. I know they work. They are proven, easy to use, easy to shoot at distance with, repeatable. Anymore I get burned out thinking about gear all the time and whats better, or should I switch blah blah blah. I couldn't even tell you what all the new scopes are because I don't care. I'm not competing, I'm not in the military anymore, I just like to hunt.

Well said.
© 24hourcampfire