Home
Posted By: jrsdws Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/21/19
Just bought a Tikka T3X Lite Compact 243 and want to get it set up for the grandkids that'll be growing up in our deer camp. The oldest is 10 now and plinking with a 22 and moving along well and the rest will be spaced out a few years apart. The 243 is intended to be in camp for many years to come for each young un and for a backup gun should anyone have problems.

I want a scope that makes it as easy as possible for the kids to use so I'm thinking longest possible eye relief, low variable or low fixed power, but I'm not sure on objective diameter.

I kind of think maybe the Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 might be a good choice? Maybe the Vortex Crossfire II that is of similar size?

What do you all suggest I look at?
Old Leupold M8 4X
Posted By: Slope77 Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/22/19
I have an old Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 on an M70 Featherweight, which is currently set up for Youth in a Mini-Carbine stock. Hasn’t seen any youth time yet, but seems to fit together well. I think a 2-7x33 would work as well. They are a little trimmer, but not much difference in weight compared to the 3-9. Field of View has never been an issue for me with a Leupold 3-9x40, but a 2-7 may be even a little better. I think you are making a good choice. I have never used a Vortex.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by jrsdws
I kind of think maybe the Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 might be a good choice?

I've not looked at a Freedom, but do have a VX2 in 2-7 and like it very much. Just bought another VX2 in 3-9 today.

Those 2-7s are small, simple, dependable, crisp and clear. It would be perfect for a youth gun.
Posted By: jrsdws Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I've not looked at a Freedom, but do have a VX2 in 2-7 and like it very much. Just bought another VX2 in 3-9 today.

Those 2-7s are small, simple, dependable, crisp and clear. It would be perfect for a youth gun.

Was also considering the DNZ Game Reaper as I use it on a couple of my hunting rifles and like it a lot, but wonder if it's a good choice for a youth gun.

Anything else I should consider?
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Was also considering the DNZ Game Reaper as I use it on a couple of my hunting rifles and like it a lot, but wonder if it's a good choice for a youth gun.

Anything else I should consider?

I use either TALLEY LWs or weaver style R&Bs. Never a problem with either.
I’m not that well versed in Tikkas, I mostly have Model 70s and use Leupold dual dovetails on them. I have a set of Talley lightweights on a T-Bolt and Warne ringmounts on a couple of CZ 527s. I like both of those as well.
https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/tikka-t3-t3x/

https://warnescopemounts.com/tikka-mounts/
6x36
Posted By: Motown Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/22/19
My 9 year old son has a 7/08 Tikka compact with a 2-7 Leupy VX-1. It has the LR Duplex and he really likes it a lot as it offers great clarity and eye relief. I had him shoot at 200 yards the other day and even with 7X he was able to manage a 3” group. Not too bad for a kid his age.
Posted By: jrsdws Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/22/19
Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33 and Talley LWs it is!!!
Fixed 4x.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/22/19
Sightron SII 3-9x42
Don't overlook a Redfield Revolution, they have a very forgiving eye box with great eye relief.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Fixed 4x.

This.

Light ,tough and SIMPLE. IMHO, new shooters should see a relaively wide veiw with a consistent sight picture. They need not be tripped up by having their scope set in the wrong power or even be bothered by such details. A 4x keeps things simple.

Kids won't be taking shots at 300 yards plus . A 4x with a good reticle is plenty on a deer.

Of the those currently available, I would get a Weaver Classic K4 x38 for a youth gun. One currently sits on my Ruger American .308 backup/loaner rifle and it is great little rig.

The Weaver has a well designed reticle with a thin center section. I have taken Antelope out to 350 yards with that reticle with one shot using a .243 Ruger m77.

Posted By: Nate40 Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/23/19
I put a 2-7x33 redfield revolution on my sons Rem Model 7. I think that size scope is about perfect on a youth gun
Posted By: bcp Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/23/19
Another vote for a fixed power scope. Otherwise, with many kids, it will change power about 6 times a minute. smile

Bruce
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by Remington280
Don't overlook a Redfield Revolution, they have a very forgiving eye box with great eye relief.

That's right ...... I have one on a 22-250. I like it as much as my Leupolds.
Posted By: cdb Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by Jrsdws
I kind of think maybe the Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 might be a good choice? Maybe the Vortex Crossfire II that is of similar size?

I think Crossfires suck. I’d get the Freedom or a Fullfield II 2-7x35.
Posted By: jrsdws Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/23/19
Thanks all. I ordered the Leupold Freedom 2-7x33 and the Talley rings came in today!!
Posted By: pointer Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/24/19
Originally Posted by bcp
Another vote for a fixed power scope. Otherwise, with many kids, it will change power about 6 times a minute. smile

Bruce
Very much the reason I went with a Weaver K6 on my sons' 243. Always the same and plenty of magnification for the ranges I let them shoot.
Posted By: JPro Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/24/19
Thanks all. I ordered the Leupold Freedom 2-7x33 and the Talley rings came in today!!

The 2-7 is a pretty forgiving scope, so that's a good call. Don't be afraid to add a cheap nylon stock pack for the early years so that their little faces can have some cheek-weld. Helps keep consistent head placement.
Posted By: hanco Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 09/27/19
Find an older 3x9 Leupold
Posted By: gremcat Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 10/01/19
I’ll be the odd one out and say either something with a euro sized ocular in 1.5 range for the low end like a 1.5-6x42ish. Or a red dot with magnifier if you think they’ll need magnification. I base this on trying all manners of guns/optics with kids and Mentored Youth/Adults over long liberal seasons. Worst situation was a 130-140” buck at 15 ft. Yep 15 ft. and could only see his hams. When he cleared a tree the kid couldn’t find him in a 4x scope because he was too close. Have had the same kid shooting out to 500 yards on steel and 300 on paper a few years prior. Tried all kinds of combos up to custom ULs and Bullberry Encore single shots running everything I ever read was ideal including 2-7, 3-9, fixed 4x, etc. best combo was a 5.5 lbs. custom in 7-08 running lite ammo with a Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 by far. The 4x wasn’t limited to Leupold as I tried a few Euros too. Head position and the “forgiving eye box” along with quick target acquisition have me seating lower power than a 4x and more error margin than a 2-7x33 VX2 or 2.5-8x32 Zeiss. Both are compact but lack forgiveness of head position. Most that have seen a new shooter bobble head for sight picture can understand why I’m biased. They can build confidence off a bench at 3-400 but the first few game animals are better suited under 150 from the small sample size I’ve worked with. Yep, I’ve seen 5 YOs make clean kills at 200+ with a 223/556/22-250 and higher mag scope but think for a general easy to shoot setup low mag and close range might be easiest.
Posted By: kecatt Re: Scope for 243 Youth Rifle - 10/01/19
Just bought a Tikka T3X Lite Compact 243 and want to get it set up for the grandkids that'll be growing up in our deer camp. The oldest is 10 now and plinking with a 22 and moving along well and the rest will be spaced out a few years apart. The 243 is intended to be in camp for many years to come for each young un and for a backup gun should anyone have problems.

I want a scope that makes it as easy as possible for the kids to use so I'm thinking longest possible eye relief, low variable or low fixed power, but I'm not sure on objective diameter.

What do you all suggest I look at?

My son started deer hunting with me at age 12. He used my old Ruger M77 flatbolt in .243 Winchester. It has always had a Weaver 6x38 scope on it. He's 18 now and last year I asked him if he wanted to upgrade to a 3-9x40 or similar. He said "Why, what's on there works great."
I had no argument.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/classic_k/
© 24hourcampfire