Why not ? Been doing it for 40 years.
Posted By: Judman Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
I do it quite frequently too...
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by Judman
I do it quite frequently too...

Same here.
Posted By: greydog Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Might not work as well with one of the big, tall turret, side focus, scopes; just because the turrets get in the way.
Posted By: zeissman Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Never carried a rifle like that although a friend does that with various Leupold scopes and they're not as strong as the Zeiss Diatal C 4x32 scope in the picture above.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by 458Win

Yep.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Yep
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Doing the same thing forever and I prefer two piece bases. But, both of my Tikka Creeds have the picatinny rails as they have the weird to me style receiver that is closed except for ejection port and fed by detachable magazines. So the rail is ok on those with the two piece Nightforce bases. I suspect that receiver style is one reason they shoot so good, probably stiffer.

I don't like any thing hindering me if I want to stuff rounds in a magazine in a hurry. I never could understand the many who like the one piece rails on "traditional" open receivers. But heck, we all like what we like!
I don't... nothing wrong with that carry, but it is quicker to put the rifle up if you already have it in your hand.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
I don't routinely do it, but I do at times. I don't know what it could hurt.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Never done it
Posted By: BobMt Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Never done it

all the time...….bob
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
I prefer two piece bases too. Carrying by the scope is one of those things I almost never do- but by almost I mean for those tiny moments I might I don't want anyone to see me. Know what I mean?

I fully expected the procedure police to harangue on this one for several pages.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
WHY!!!!
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
I don't.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Never have.
Posted By: szihn Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Been doing it for 52 years now and it's never hurt a thing.
Posted By: Rodell Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
I'm showing my age, but I was taught to baby the scope and protect it. I've never used it as a handle.
If Sundra did it, can it possibly be wrong?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by kenjs1
...I fully expected the procedure police to harangue on this one for several pages.

I am amazed that this hasn't been the case. It is always nice when they overlook an opportunity to lecture and condemn.
Posted By: SKane Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19

I fully expected the procedure police to harangue on this one for several pages.

They will. laugh

While not standard protocol I've carried like that with some frequency since I've been 12 years old.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Never have used my scopes for a handle.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Have and still do depending on bases used.
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
I don’t carry like that. Probably nothing wrong with it but just don’t choose to.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19

Originally Posted by zeissman
Never carried a rifle like that although a friend does that with various Leupold scopes and they're not as strong as the Zeiss Diatal C 4x32 scope in the picture above.

Have never heard that Leupold scopes ‘are not as strong’ as Zeiss scopes.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by zeissman

Have never heard that Leupold scopes ‘are not as strong’ as Zeiss scopes.

I've often wondered if Leopold's light weight is achieved by using thinner tubes. That might explain a lot.

I do not carry my rifles like that. I might occasionally grasp one by the scope, but not for long.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
If I have the bipods down and have to move quickly, I do. Or if I just want a break from carrying over the shoulder. Never had a problem.

I hope those weak Leupold tubes dont give out one day.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Always, every time, for decades. That's the first purpose of a scope as far as I'm concerned. If a scope couldn't handle it, then it would in no way be able to handle recoil.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/29/19
Had a post 64 featherweight 270 Win with Leu 1.5x5 fall on concrete when a sling connection came off the stud. I landed solid on the Leu with a good mark to show impact point. I checked the sight in that same evening. Poi had not shifted.

Brother killed a few bulls with it later and had to have it. On a later hunt above Vallaceto lake in Col we rode horses to camp after dark and his horse slipped and fell coming down a steep, rock face. He bailed off and landed on the rifle which he had slung on his back.

Yep, another solid rock mark was left on the scope so he stayed in camp the next morning and checked it out. Poi was still spot on. The next morning he got sight of a small 5x5 and heart shot it. He said it just looked up sadly at him from about 50 yards. In disbelief he shot again in the ribs farther back. It still stood there and he knew the gun was off. As he went to shoot again the bull fell over and died.
On remembering the events afterwards he felt the bull knew he was dead from the first shot. I wonder if a heart shot on a calm animal may put it in shock of if the animal is smart enough to know it is dying and not moving in order to stay alive as long as it can.

I once flew an arrow through the liver of a big 5x5 bull following a few cows past me on a trail. It jumped and ran about 5 yards then stood there and slowly bled out. Legs spread and head down. It wasnt a pretty sight and it was partially covered by timber where I could only see its head and neck and butt. I slowly knocked another arrow but when I tried moving to the side to get another shot he alerted and I was afraid to move any more, not knowing at the time how well he was hit nor how far he might run.

It was nice slowly easing through the East Texas timberlands on cool, wet, cloudy mornings toting that rig by the scope in my right hand hanging down and moving nothing but my feet, legs and eyes a few steps at a time, stopping every few feet and travelling slower than a buck on his search for a doe in heat. In that manner got some of my own deer meat.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
I once heard a sgt. exclaim "that is a MF'n sighting device not a MF'n carry handle you limp dikd MFers. I still hear that voice in my head.

mike r
Posted By: Higginez Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
I always do that sometimes.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19

Yup. No ill effect.
I'll pick a rifle up by the scope sometimes, but not carry one in the field like that. To each their own..
Posted By: shootem Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yup. No ill effect.

Ever since I discovered bolt action rifles. Just fell into place.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
Not unless I have to. But I will admit that it is easy to do. I just don't make a habit out of it.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
I have carried my 52B Winchester target rifle to the car many times a year using the steel tube K-6 as a handle with no ill effects.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
...I fully expected the procedure police to harangue on this one for several pages.

I am amazed that this hasn't been the case. It is always nice when they overlook an opportunity to lecture and condemn.

I believe the know-it-alls will tell you that this is acceptable...if it's a Leupold. laugh
Posted By: shaman Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
I've only had a couple of rifles where I could get my fingers under. I've got Johnny Bench-type hands.

I never tried, because I didn't think it was proper. I'm also the kind of shooter that nearly always puts a sling on a rifle when it's going to be afield. Most of the time when I'm out hunting, it is cold and the last thing I'd want to do is wrap my hand around cold steel.

If y'all use the scope as a carry handle, I've got no problem with it.
Its like marrying your 2cousin . Probably safe to do but just not appealing to me.
Posted By: hanco Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
I don’t do that, never ever!
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
“What would Big Stick, do?”
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

Now, there you have it.

Waiting for him to opine...

I don't carry like that, even my AR's are flat top, no handles.

But, I'm not gonna jump on those who do, even with those flimsy Leupolds... blush

grin

DF
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Now, there you have it.

Waiting for him to opine...

I don't carry like that, even my AR's are flat top, no handles.

But, I'm not gonna jump on those who do, even with those flimsy Leupolds... blush

grin

DF

Yeah, I don’t carry that way either...... no problem if others want to.
I was taught very early on the the scope is an optical aiming device and not a carry handle.
Guess that stuck with me.

The Stick question isn’t really a dig....
That guy runs a ton of spendy rigs and I am curious of his thoughts on that carry option.......
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
No, I don't use the expensive magnifying optical aiming device as a "carry handle". I don't use my underwear to haul feces around either. But I've known guys who did both. I chose not to emulate them. Makes sense now why so many guys have scopes that "fail" and some of us have never had one "fail".

I hunted elk one time with a guy who packed his rifle like that. I was about 14. We happened upon a raghorn bull that came over a rise and down on top of us, about 100 yards away. The guy pulled up and shot, hitting it square in the ass. Then he shot again, and missed. Then again, and blew off a front leg at the knee, as the elk had begun to try to get away from whatever was injuring it. Then he missed two more shots, and was out of ammo. He started screaming for someone to put it down. My step father had come toward us when the shooting started, and was able to finish it off, making a pretty impressive neck shot at about 250 yards at that point. I never did find out whether it was the Indian or the arrow that was at issue there, but I never did have a desire to use my expensive magnifying optical aiming device as a "carry handle" for my rifle, and I remember that day every day I start out after elk before daylight.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
I too, like to hear what Stick has to say, not always how he says it.

But, you're right, he's burned a BUNCH of powder and busted lots of primers.

If attacked, he'll respond in kind.

DF
Posted By: 1minute Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
Given the wimpy screws used in most mounting systems, no. Also, with most of my units, my fingers will not make it through the void so such would not be a secure carry.
Posted By: centershot Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
I had a guy ask that a few years back. I said if holding it by the scope is enough to change zero, then I need to change the scope and mounts.............
Posted By: kellory Re: Scope as carry handle - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by Rodell
I'm showing my age, but I was taught to baby the scope and protect it. I've never used it as a handle.

Same for me. Never done it.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
I mean, for old time's sake, I'll just post this throwback thread here from 2005. This was discussed once before, a long time ago. I started the thread back then.

The original "Is your scope a handle?" thread
Posted By: bcp Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I mean, for old time's sake, I'll just post this throwback thread here from 2005. This was discussed once before, a long time ago. I started the thread back then.

And the same opposite answers, too. smile

Bruce
Posted By: shootem Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
Originally Posted by centershot
I had a guy ask that a few years back. I said if holding it by the scope is enough to change zero, then I need to change the scope and mounts.............

Fer real. I figger when my hand is wrapped around the scope it's got all the weight of rifle, ammo, and sling and mounts putting terrible pressure on it. If that's going to be the straw then so be it. Better to know while carrying than when required for use. If the rig can't stand 7,8,9 pounds of weight it'll have a helluvatime dealing with recoil.
Posted By: sierraHunter Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19

posted 02/02/2005
Big Stick
Campfire Oracle
Paradise,Alaska

Guilty here...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

and

posted 2/10/2005
Big Stick
Campfire Oracle
Paradise,Alaska

I carry lotsa my stuff by their scope expressly.

One of 'em is the Easy Rider 7-08 and today I dialed dope and watched my Boss smoke a 12oz water bottle at a Mr.Leica confirmed 838yds,despite some less than absolute calm conditions(3MOA wind).

Am thinking it takes more than the 14.34lbs suspended weight of the Easy Rider,to fuss and muss a Leupie MK4 10x in M1 configuration.

BUT,I could be "wrong"........................(grin)
Posted By: ironbender Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
Lookit this jabroni.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Glad I went back and read it. I would have missed;

Strider
Campfire Regular

The Old Frontier
Huh? Every read those little papers that come with the product? Instructions, warranty info, care and use, etc? I always thought it was an internally complicated, technical, precision engineered tool that should be treated with care.

Maybe I've been missing out...

I've seen a fella "finish off" his deer by hitting it over the head with his rifle (someone else brought him). I guess I shouldn't be suprised.

Try using your shotgun barrel as a hunting horn. Not only does it work well, but it gets lots of attention too. And there is all that room you get on future hunts.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
Back when I was considerably younger and fitter our government issued me with weapons fitted with actual carry handles, and then committed me to the tender mercies of various NCOs who would tear great strips off any young recruit who was tempted to use them. It's not a fuggin briefcase! they'd scream, carry the fuggin thing like a weapon!.

The lesson seems to have stuck. If I might have the opportunity for a shot, then at the very least I'll have my strong hand on the grip as I wander along. If not, I may as well have it slung. That, and the fact that my hand's never going to fit comfortably in that space under a scope on any of my rifles, means I don't think I've ever carried a rifle that way..

I don't care if others do it though.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
Ridiculous question.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: battue Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
Have and find little optical reason not to.

However, there is a possible safety issue-if one is carrying with one in the chamber-and by chance something at knee level knocks the safety off and something else yanks on the trigger.
Posted By: Hoth Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
I've never done it and have actually never seen anyone else do it. I wasn't even aware that it was an option.
It's never even crossed my mind to carry by the scope.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Scope as carry handle - 10/01/19
I don't; have never had the desire to carry my rifle like a briefcase. I don't see it hurting anything if a guy wants to.
© 24hourcampfire