Home
Posted By: powdr Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
I'm one scope short and I'm thinking about a 2-7 or 3-9 VXR. How good is the glass? Thanks, powdr
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
I keep hearing (reading) that it's as good as VX-3 and -3i, but I wonder if that'll hold up. Never had one myself, so I can only guess. Guess no good.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Originally Posted by powdr
I'm one scope short and I'm thinking about a 2-7 or 3-9 VXR. How good is the glass? Thanks, powdr

What are you planning on reading with it???
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Just a heads up - I got a flyer from Crapela’s yesterday saying the vx-r 3-9 was going to be on sale for $299 come October 1. They probably have two in stock, but if you happened to get one ... that is a good deal.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Oct. 1st?.?
Posted By: RBO Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Oct. 1st?.?

Dang...... We’ll never make it on time frown
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Nope. Not without our campfire time machine! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Well, let’s try November 1. “Limited stock.”
Posted By: aalf Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Originally Posted by powdr

I put a 2-7 on my AR for coyotes....I think it's pretty damn good......
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
I haven’t noticed any difference between the VX-R glass and my VX3s. Then again, I haven’t worried about any scientific comparisons, either....they just have good, useful illuminated reticles, and are more than bright/clear enough for hunting early and late.
Posted By: powdr Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Thanks Whiskey, that's what I was looking for. powdr
Posted By: patberg Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
I just bought a VXR 3-9 about a week ago. The glass is very clear, and I will be buying more of them in the future.
Posted By: skeen Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I haven’t noticed any difference between the VX-R glass and my VX3s. Then again, I haven’t worried about any scientific comparisons, either....they just have good, useful illuminated reticles, and are more than bright/clear enough for hunting early and late.

That's a fair assessment, and my experience too.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

That's a fair assessment, and my experience too.

+1
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Optics on VX R - 10/26/19
Any issue with parallax on the 4-12 in this scope?
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Optics on VX R - 10/27/19
I’ve not had issues with the LPVs, 2-7, and 3-9s I’ve had. I can’t say about the 4-12, because I only had it for a very short time, and did not find the eye box and clarity past 6x to be on par with the others. Could’ve easily just been my limited sample or use.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Optics on VX R - 10/27/19
I had the 4x12 , actually two of them, one of which sat on my Sako 338, the other on a 280 AI. I had zero problems with either scope . Both performed very well for me. A friend of mine made me an offer I couldn’t refuse for both, so I took him up on it.

FYI: at the last NRA annual meeting I stopped by the Leupold booth and asked the rep in charge his thoughts on the VX-R and honest opinions on it. He said it was a great scope, which I agreed with, adding it was somewhere between the VX-2 and VX-3 in design.

I’ll buy another without hesitation if I ever need another scope.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Optics on VX R - 10/27/19
I’ve read that VX-R glass is on par with VX-2 glass. But the latest VX-2 glass seems to me about as good as VX-3 glass. The VX-R scopes I’ve examined seem very good regarding glass quality.

DF
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Optics on VX R - 10/27/19
Love my 4x12 VXR. It’s about like the quality of a VX-III, IMO.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Optics on VX R - 10/27/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Love my 4x12 VXR. It’s about like the quality of a VX-III, IMO.

I think VX-3 glass is better than VX-III. I think the latest VX-2 glass is pretty close to VX-III.

DF
Posted By: Adluginb Re: Optics on VX R - 10/27/19
Heck I’m still using several vari-x III’s and see no reason to upgrade them. Maybe I need a new rifle so I’ll have to buy a new scope?
Posted By: powdr Re: Optics on VX R - 10/27/19
Thanks guys. I'm gonna pull the trigger on one if I can find it priced right. powdr
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Optics on VX R - 10/28/19
Bass pro already has them on sale for the 299. But with Alabama adding 10% tax. Makes it $329 shipped. good deal but not great.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Optics on VX R - 10/28/19
Bass pro already has them on sale for the 299. But with Alabama adding 10% tax. Makes it $329 shipped. good deal but not great.

Just curious - where else are you seeing them close to that price ?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Optics on VX R - 10/29/19
Originally Posted by Adluginb
Heck I’m still using several vari-x III’s and see no reason to upgrade them. Maybe I need a new rifle so I’ll have to buy a new scope?

I like way you think... cool

DF
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Optics on VX R - 10/29/19
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Local bass pro had them 299 in store but were sold out. Picked one up online at bass pro 299 +tax. Don’t really need it, but at that price, couldn’t resist.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Optics on VX R - 10/29/19
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Local bass pro had them 299 in store but were sold out. Picked one up online at bass pro 299 +tax. Don’t really need it, but at that price, couldn’t resist.

laugh
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Optics on VX R - 10/29/19
Can you get it in the #4 firedot?
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Can you get it in the #4 firedot?

I had a VX-6 1-6 with #4 and Firedot. I sold it because the #4 covered up too much target for 300 yd shooting on 6X.

To me, if you have the Firedot, you don't need a #4 reticle, the Duplex in that setting is the better choice.

DF
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Optics on VX R - 10/29/19
I can understand that . I love the #4's and firedot type reticle is just SO great for what I do and want. I have it in a Burris and yeah, the dot is a bit big even for 100 yard sight in if trying to lay cloverleafs.
I’d do the Firedot OR the #4, not both in the same scope.

DF
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Optics on VX R - 10/30/19
I’ve never had much issue with a reticle covering up too much of a game animal to make a shot. Too much paper to see the other bullet holes? Sure. Still, I’ve had holes touching with 1x G1s and even open sights. It’s a bigger problem when I can see the animal in the scope, but can’t see any reticle in bad light, illum or not.
© 24hourcampfire