Home
Posted By: Cheesy Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
Many scopes now are all knobs/turrets/cluttered reticles. I don't need that. I don't like that.

If you're buying a sub $400 scope that is a simple duplex reticle, no big knobs hanging off the side, streamlined look, what would you buy in a 2-7 or 3-9 power or so?

In the past I've always bought Leupold VX-2 or VX-3 (or whatever the iteration was named at the time of production). I know some say they wouldn't shoot junkyard rats with current Leupolds, while others say they have no issues with them. I'm open to any suggestions right now.

Leupolds website is crap in my opinion. They can't just give a simple chart showing their models with available power/objective lens. Has to have a screen's worth of picture to show every single scope they offer without much filtering ability. How are their Freedom line of scopes compared to their previous VX-2 and VX-3? Whats the verdict on the VX-3i?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
Meopta.
Posted By: drover Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
I have a couple of the Freedom series, duplex crosshair, 3-9x40 and to my eyes they seem to be as good as the glass in my VX-2 3-9x40's. The feel of the adjustments on the Freedom is like the VX-2 a bit mushy but they track okay and the two that I have hold zero just fine.

I am not fond of the angular turret housing but that is more a matter of taste than anything else.

If you don't like the Freedom then just keep an eye on the classifieds, I see VX-2 3-9's come up for sale quite often.

drover

Posted By: bowmanh Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
Burris Full Field II's and E1's are a good value in the power ranges you're looking at. They are reliable and can be had for under $200.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Meopta.

+1
Burris E1 on the low end, Meopta (or old Conquest) on the $400 end. Those are what I'd personally trust to hold together.

And I share the same tastes in scopes as you. smile

FC
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Meopta.

+1

+2
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
I have a meopro 3-9x40 with a basic duplex reticle that sits on a 30-06. That rifle is sort of an all around loaner, bad weather boat rifle and I haven’t had to re zero it since I sighted it in.

There’s a meopro in the rokslide classifieds now for a good price, I’d jump on that if I were in the market for that sort of scope.
Posted By: whitearrow Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
meopta meopro's are well worth their asking price and call doug at cameraland and he'll probably hook you up.
Big Ed
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Meopta.

+1

+2

The only answer for me in the sub $400 range for a hunting scope.

Heck, used in the $3-$325 range. They pop up on the classifieds often. Either meopros or conquests or instincts

Meopro
Posted By: centershot Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
Leupold VX 3i (current line) 3.5-10x40. The standard by which other scopes are judged. Some better, some worse, still a high quality scope from a trusted name. And if you ever decide to sell it, Leupold will hold it's value better than many others.
Posted By: SKane Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
VX3i in 2.5x8 or 3.5x10 for this purpose suits my needs just fine. smile
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
VX2i or VX3i
I have both. Great scopes.
Jim
Posted By: CWT Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
Meopro is the way to go.
Posted By: Quak Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/04/19
Meopta...Leupold vx3is have been problematic for me
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/05/19
surprised no one has mentioned Meopta
Posted By: kingston Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Leupolds website is crap in my opinion.

Leupold's website is a catastrophe.
Posted By: RGK Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/05/19
Meopta is a great scope. Here's a 3-9x42mm on a Cooper.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: kingston Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/05/19
RGK, I was just thinking of you when I almost posted "Zeiss 4x".
Posted By: RGK Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by kingston
RGK, I was just thinking of you when I almost posted "Zeiss 4x".

Roger that...awesome scope. Made by Meopta.
Bob
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/05/19
Zeiss Conquest is a great option. 4x fixed (which I happen to have one for sale) or a 3-9x40 or the 3.5-10 are really nice scopes.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by Quak
Meopta...Leupold vx3is have been problematic for me

How so ?
Posted By: Quak Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/08/19
Sent two back for very unpredictable tracking...both were replaced. Not repaired mind you. Sold em both.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Simple Scope, sub $400 - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Burris Full Field II's and E1's are a good value in the power ranges you're looking at. They are reliable and can be had for under $200.

THIS

Especially if durability is a consideration....as in heavy use.
© 24hourcampfire