Home
Posted By: RandyR Torque wrenches - 11/10/19
Looking for a new torque wrench for scope mounting with just occasional use.

Anything better than the Wheeler out there reasonably priced?
Posted By: Hudge Re: Torque wrenches - 11/10/19
I have the Wheeler Fat Wrench and really like it. Just about all of the gun shops/gun smiths I have been to use it as well.
Posted By: sackett Re: Torque wrenches - 11/10/19
Seekonk, Made in USA

Sekonk Torque Wrenches
Posted By: 1234 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/10/19
try ebay, i picked up a high end screwdriver type torque wrench that was boeing surplus for less than half of what they get for a fat wrench.

Ed
Posted By: lotech Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Brownells has a good one that's adjustable.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Seekonk are also what are issued in the M24, and M110 sniper packages.

They are top notch. I use them on my personal rifles and they are top notch.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
I prefer a decent brand of beam type torque wrench. I just don’t trust other less expensive designs.

https://m.seekonk.com/prod-77-1-48-...torque-deflecting-beam-0-100-in-lbs-.htm
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
If there was any item out there with inflated prices, it's the Fat Wrench. They can be had for $40 now and then.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Borka works well!
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Originally Posted by Daveh
I prefer a decent brand of beam type torque wrench. I just don’t trust other less expensive designs.

https://m.seekonk.com/prod-77-1-48-...torque-deflecting-beam-0-100-in-lbs-.htm

😂😂😂The wheeler does a good job for the money, I use my torque wrench’s at work all the time so it’s worth it to me to buy Snap-On, MAC and Utica some clicker and digital...........a deflecting beam type torque wrench is like going back to the horse and buggy ‼️

Stay away from Lowe’s, Home Depot and Harbor Freight brands and you will probably be OK
Posted By: Bay_Dog Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Fix It Sticks
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
I have a toolbox full of torque wrenches as I work on aircraft and everything is scrutinized. I don't like the Fat wrench at all- hard to even tell what setting you have.I have seen several sent in for calibration and they were pretty far off what they read. Once you have tried a real torque wrench you will see what I mean. I prefer the Wiha and the universal ones sold under the name of Capri. The driver that Vortex sells is the same tool. Mine are calibrated annually and they come back having tested near perfect each time. We just bought a couple of Snap on drivers for the shop. They are good too but I like the adjustment feature on the Capri and Wiha better.
The Seekonks I had were all pre-set; that is fine if you have a half-dozen of them.

I have a really sweat dial caliper made by CDI that is accurate and graduated to 1/2 inch pound. I find it easier to use a driver than the wrench so I rarely use it except when checking existing torque.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have a toolbox full of torque wrenches as I work on aircraft and everything is scrutinized. I don't like the Fat wrench at all- hard to even tell what setting you have.I have seen several sent in for calibration and they were pretty far off what they read. Once you have tried a real torque wrench you will see what I mean. I prefer the Wiha and the universal ones sold under the name of Capri. The driver that Vortex sells is the same tool. Mine are calibrated annually and they come back having tested near perfect each time. We just bought a couple of Snap on drivers for the shop. They are good too but I like the adjustment feature on the Capri and Wiha better.
The Seekonks I had were all pre-set; that is fine if you have a half-dozen of them.

I have a really sweat dial caliper made by CDI that is accurate and graduated to 1/2 inch pound. I find it easier to use a driver than the wrench so I rarely use it except when checking existing torque.

I now use the Vortex wrench. It is an excellent product considering the cost. It much more precise than the Wheeler fat wrench. The big auction site has the Vortex for less than 70.00.
Posted By: kingston Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Higginez Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Did you find the blue one on Adam&Eve.com?
Originally Posted by Higbean

Yea, they gave it to me when I bought your Christmas present last year.
Posted By: skeen Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19

Oh, [bleep], that made me spit some ice tea. laugh
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog

This -
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
The Vortex, Wiha, Capri look pretty sexy but I don't see any with the range desired.... Maybe the 18-62 in/lbs unit in the closest? But yah, I want one!
Posted By: shinbone Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Wheeler Digital Torque wrench. Runs 15-100in-lb.

https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmi...rivers/digital-f.a.t.-wrench/710909.html
Posted By: Stilllearning Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Borka works well!

This !
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19

Good grief you guys, the internet is at it again. Next thing we know only NASA certified, Space Shuttle approved torque wrenches can touch our scope screws. Any wrench costing less than $500 will be plumb unworthy.........

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63881.html

And before anybody says it, my mechanic--a Snap-On slut if there ever was one--has a Snap-On torque meter that can be used with a regular wrench--it's the same tool the tool truck driver uses to check torque wrenches. On a whim he bought a Harbor Freight 3/8" torque wrench and it agreed with the Snap-On tool. So he bought the 1/4" and 1/2", and they both agreed also.

All we need is to get the screws tight enough to hold the scope/mounts in place and the screw torque half-way consistent.........
Posted By: rj308 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
I took a tip from Dennisinaz a while back and bought the one Vortex sells. Its a damn fine tool for gun stuff, RJ
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
I use a Whia Torque Vario and it works very well. Fix it sticks are also great and very packable.

https://www.wihatools.com/adjustabl...P8Lbi5QIV2v_jBx09LQunEAQYASABEgIB2_D_BwE
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Good grief you guys, the internet is at it again. Next thing we know only NASA certified, Space Shuttle approved torque wrenches can touch our scope screws. Any wrench costing less than $500 will be plumb unworthy.........

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63881.html

And before anybody says it, my mechanic--a Snap-On slut if there ever was one--has a Snap-On torque meter that can be used with a regular wrench--it's the same tool the tool truck driver uses to check torque wrenches. On a whim he bought a Harbor Freight 3/8" torque wrench and it agreed with the Snap-On tool. So he bought the 1/4" and 1/2", and they both agreed also.

All we need is to get the screws tight enough to hold the scope/mounts in place and the screw torque half-way consistent.........

Thanks for saying what I always think when I see these threads.

It's a friggin set of scope rings, not a nuke submarine. A $500 torque wrench isn't needed. I've used several of the Harbor Freight torque wrenches and they have all tested out plenty close for what we're needing them for. If it's off by 10% then that's still going to be fine and a boatload closer to where it's supposed to be than the farmer tight method most are used to.

Sometimes good enough really is good enough. You don't need to take out a second mortgage to get a torque wrench plenty good enough to install scope mounts.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Originally Posted by boatanchor

😂😂😂The wheeler does a good job for the money, I use my torque wrench’s at work all the time so it’s worth it to me to buy Snap-On, MAC and Utica some clicker and digital...........a deflecting beam type torque wrench is like going back to the horse and buggy ‼️

Stay away from Lowe’s, Home Depot and Harbor Freight brands and you will probably be OK

They may be old fashioned but in the less expensive torque wrenches they can be trusted.

Honestly I have never torqued mounts nor action screws but decided in the last week I might as well buy one and see just how tight I have been getting those.....
None of my torque wrenches cost any where near $500 and none of them were made China.

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19
Originally Posted by kingston
None of my torque wrenches cost any where near $500 and none of them were made China.

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

I use a CDI as well. It’s worth the extra money. I think it was a little over a hundred bucks
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/11/19

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

I use a CDI as well. It’s worth the extra money. I think it was a little over a hundred bucks, which was $300 less than Swarovski charged me to replace a tube my father crushed on a scope he borrowed. Said it was just “hand tight”. Guess what he got for Christmas
Originally Posted by TxHunter80

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

I use a CDI as well. It’s worth the extra money. I think it was a little over a hundred bucks, which was $300 less than Swarovski charged me to replace a tube my father crushed on a scope he borrowed. Said it was just “hand tight”. Guess what he got for Christmas

Hopefully a Harbor Freight torque wrench.........

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

Ironically, I'm one of the first guys to biotch about Chinese crap. My 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches are USA Craftsman. But my Wheeler FAT wrench is apparently made in China if the inspectors initials on the "certification" tag is any indication.......

Still, torquing scope screws is not the same as assembling a satellite.

It's the obsessive-compulsive behavior the internet creates that cracks me up.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Torque wrenches - 11/12/19
"Everyone should do it the same way I do it."
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Torque wrenches - 11/12/19
I have a CDI for the motorcycle but for the scope rings, loady loady no....
Posted By: RandyR Re: Torque wrenches - 11/12/19
15 to 18 lbs is the range needed for rings correct?
Someone stayed up very late putting this together. (Smiley face)

Originally Posted by anonymous guy with really expensive torque wrenches....

Here is a list of a few current manufacturer's specs:
Burris Signature / Zee Ring Tops have a stated 20 inch-pounds for ring top screws (https://www.burrisoptics.com/customer-service/faqs)
Talley LW's call for 17-20in/lb
ARC 65in/lb. (This is unique to the M10's design)
APA TruLoc ring cap torque spec 15in/lb. (I go 22in/lb. on heavy scopes)
Ken Farrell "Suggested tightening torque for ring caps: 20-30 in/lbs. depending on the weight of the scope and caliber of the gun. Average is 25 inch lbs."
SPUHR recommends 15-25 in/lbs.
Nightforce Ultralight Ring top screws - 25 inch pounds
Seekins ring caps call for 20in/lb
Badger side steps publishing an exact spec for ring cap screws by stating "holding the short end of the T-15 wrench tighten about as tight as you can get it".
Warne Mountain Tech scope cap screws are stated at 18 in/lb* max
Warne Maxima Horizontal scope cap screws are also stated at 18 in/lb.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Torque wrenches - 11/12/19
A $40 Tekton has been working great for me.
Posted By: cdb Re: Torque wrenches - 11/12/19
Originally Posted by RandyR
15 to 18 lbs is the range needed for rings correct?

Warne Maxima rings require 25” pounds and I think Leupold Standards say 24” pounds.
I’ve had a Fat Wrench for around five years and thought I was in high cotton, until a gunsmith who specializes in rebarreling Model 700’s told me the Fat Wrench is worse than not having a torque wrench at all. He belittled me about it in front of a prospective customer waiting for him to get through with me. I told the gunsmith to f***k off and walked out. The icing on the cake for me was the other prospect telling him the same thing and walking out with me. If I ever have to replace my Fat Wrench I’ll probably get a nicer one. But the Fat Wrench has worked fine and won’t be replaced unless it breaks.

Yea, they gave it to me when I bought your Christmas present last year.

Those are the funniest posts I’ve ever seen on this website.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Torque wrenches - 11/12/19
You'd really be laughing if you saw the contraption I got for Christmas!
For the heathens.

Fat Wrench for $29.16. Deal ends in 6 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accu...585579&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-4
Posted By: HiredGun Re: Torque wrenches - 11/12/19
I prefer the dial torque wrenches like the Seekonk 0-75" pound unit. I have a couple others. I think one is a Snap On or Proto or something like that and it goes 0-30" pounds. The beauty of the dials is you can watch the torque climb in proportion to how much the screw is turning. Why is that important? Sometimes you run into soft screws or poor metal in the receivers and when you are tightening up the handle will be moving and the needle will be moving up and when something starts stretching or the threads yielding (stripping) the needle will stop while the handle continues to move. The dial gives you a visual that can't be seen with any of the common scope torque devices. It doesn't matter that they are spot on. The materials we are torquing are not near perfect.

With the old click type wrenches 10/22 receivers were famous for stripping 1 or 2 inch pounds before the specified torque. With the dial you can see that happening and stop just as it just starts to happen. This will save you from having to remove a broken screw or stripping a receiver. It will also detect cheap screws like we commonly find on Vortex and Burris rings or bases. The dial wrenches save us a couple times a eek from breaking or stripping a scope screws.

I will no longer use a clicker on anything other than lug nuts and bigger fasteners. My race car engine has 3/8"-24 head studs and a clicker wrench just a few pounds off will strip them right out of the block. I have switched all my torque wrenches out to dial wrenches now so we can see that before I wreck a $12,000 engine block. A few years ago a clicker wrench cost me a $2000 set of Jesel rocker bodies that was about 4 pounds off at 26 foot pounds.
Posted By: mbrook Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
I also use the Vortex torque wrench.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
For the heathens.

Fat Wrench for $29.16. Deal ends in 6 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accu...585579&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-4

My "Fatwrench" quit before I finished mounting the second scope.

I did one rifle/scope and put it away for a few weeks. When I got it out again the battery was dead. It came with a spare battery, so I put the spare in. No Go, she still would not come on. I bought a new battery at town, that dod no good either.

I need to call "Larry" and get it sent back to him.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
I have a couple manual ones as linked and haven't had any problems.... Cheapest I've seen before today was $36 IIRC. Sale is done.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
My inch-pound unit came to me free - from my Dad when he finally stepped away from the precision machine work in the 80s,. No telling how old it is and right now I can't remember the brand name - but it works very precisely and maintains its set. However, I have never used it to check the tightness of scope mount/ring screws. How on earth did we mount those scopes for all of those years, starting in the 60s, and not ruin anything? And, why did our stuff shoot so accurately and kill game with hardly ever a scope problem - and never a problem of too tight or too loose? Yes, the requirements of the world have changed - much more demanding on old guys. I hope I can find that old wrench before needing to mount another Tasco or BSA scope.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
I have a Wiha and it’s worked just fine although HiredGun make a good point regarding stripping screws, or worse, whatever they are being screwed into.

Agree, mostly we are not building space shuttles, but I’d prefer to have a tool that is calibrated, and will maintain said calibration. I’d prefer to eliminate variables and worry.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19

A few years ago I evaluated a few torque wrenches, using a calibrated test fixture. Two figures below show the results from Fat Wrenches.

My favorite out of the test was a 1/4" beam-type wrench. IIRC, I tested a few and they were dead nuts accurate.

Posted By: HiredGun Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
For firearms or scopes absolute accuracy is rarely if ever an issue. With in 10% is plenty close and tons closer than you will get without one.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

Yeah, Fook Harbor Freight! They also sell dog crap SuperMan Capes. Alpinecrick loaned me his for my elk hunt. 😛😎

Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
See?!!!!! I told you!!!!

And I bet you killed that baby bull without a $500 purple dillydo disguised as a torque wrench..........
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
Had a fat wrench and got rid of it. I bought a Capri tools pretty impressive driver.

capri tool
Posted By: killerv Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
I don't trust my fat wrench, had some rings loosen up on a couple rifles after torquing to spec. Never had these issues before I started using it. Go figure.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by 4th_point

A few years ago I evaluated a few torque wrenches, using a calibrated test fixture.
My favorite out of the test was a 1/4" beam-type wrench. IIRC, I tested a few and they were dead nuts

As I assumed would be the case......
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
Borka and snap-on are what I use. The snap-on I found at a pawn shop. The snap on I bought for setting the pre-load on pinion bearings on differentials.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Torque wrenches - 11/13/19
Been looking for a better wrench that what I currently have.. good info here. thanks all
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
Originally Posted by HiredGun
I prefer the dial torque wrenches like the Seekonk 0-75" pound unit. I have a couple others. I think one is a Snap On or Proto or something like that and it goes 0-30" pounds. The beauty of the dials is you can watch the torque climb in proportion to how much the screw is turning. Why is that important? Sometimes you run into soft screws or poor metal in the receivers and when you are tightening up the handle will be moving and the needle will be moving up and when something starts stretching or the threads yielding (stripping) the needle will stop while the handle continues to move. The dial gives you a visual that can't be seen with any of the common scope torque devices. It doesn't matter that they are spot on. The materials we are torquing are not near perfect.

With the old click type wrenches 10/22 receivers were famous for stripping 1 or 2 inch pounds before the specified torque. With the dial you can see that happening and stop just as it just starts to happen. This will save you from having to remove a broken screw or stripping a receiver. It will also detect cheap screws like we commonly find on Vortex and Burris rings or bases. The dial wrenches save us a couple times a eek from breaking or stripping a scope screws.

I will no longer use a clicker on anything other than lug nuts and bigger fasteners. My race car engine has 3/8"-24 head studs and a clicker wrench just a few pounds off will strip them right out of the block. I have switched all my torque wrenches out to dial wrenches now so we can see that before I wreck a $12,000 engine block. A few years ago a clicker wrench cost me a $2000 set of Jesel rocker bodies that was about 4 pounds off at 26 foot pounds.

If you are working on stuff like that you should have them calibrated frequently. FAA requires it annually for aircraft work.

I can generally torque by had very accurately in the ranges I typically deal with. I test myself daily; tightening by hand an the checking with the torque wrench. I've never ruined anything with a 'clicker' type torque wrench. If you tighten a ring and there is a "soft" spot, you should be able to feel it by hand and stop.

I have never had a torque wrench come back from calibration more than 3% at any value and most are <1.5%. Proto, CDI (Snap-on) and Wiha are excellent tools. There are some torque wrenches out there that are certified <.1% in variation. They can cost upwards of $2000 for a 1/4" drive tool. The come with a cable to connect to a computer for recording results.

No, you don't need $500 torque wrenches for scope work but a nice tool is much more pleasing to use than a chitty one. Some of Harbor Freight tools are actually very good. I have a 1/2" impact wrench that was built specifically to compete with the $700 Snap On. It is just as good and only $119.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
Say I wanted one specifically for the 65 in/lbs 1/2" hex nuts to use in conjunction with an adjustable bit driver type that has a lower range like 10-50. On the frugal side, click or beam?

(Gotta find my 3/8" CDI, might have the question answered, but, I can't recall it's range OR location since moving. )
Posted By: Higginez Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
Say I wanted one specifically for the 65 in/lbs 1/2" hex nuts to use in conjunction with an adjustable bit driver type that has a lower range like 10-50. On the frugal side, click or beam?

(Gotta find my 3/8" CDI, might have the question answered, but, I can't recall it's range OR location since moving. )

There's Adam & Eve stores in Missoula and Three Forks.

Just an FYI
Posted By: SeanD Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
You guys all realize that a little oil or loktite and the torque values are out the window right? This really isn’t an exact prediction of screw stretch or resistance to loosening. Not saying it’s not valuable since there isn’t a better practical way for most folks to go about it. Just saying it’s ballpark.

There's Adam & Eve stores in Missoula and Three Forks.

Just an FYI

Thanks buddy.... I think, with Christmas on the way, that would be a solid plan, 'cept I'm not supposed to go within 300 feet...
Been using the Fat Wrench and it's better at not stripping out schidt than I am.

Wish I had dainty hands like Beaver10....

smile
Boomer,

Anything under the titles of "huge, realistic or prostate" are usually a home run.

Kingston prefers discrete shipping fyi.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
Been using the Fat Wrench and it's better at not stripping

Are there fat wenches at Teasers in Three Forks and how's their stripping?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

If I was a betting man....
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Like I said, 300'.
Boomer,

Anything under the titles of "huge, realistic or prostate" are usually a home run.

Kingston prefers discrete shipping fyi.

I am totally not shopping for d i l d o s for Kingston. Wink wink...
Posted By: kingston Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
You'd really be laughing if you saw the contraption I got for Christmas!

It was a real “stocking stuffer”.
PULEEZE no video!
Originally Posted by 4th_point

A few years ago I evaluated a few torque wrenches, using a calibrated test fixture. Two figures below show the results from Fat Wrenches.

My favorite out of the test was a 1/4" beam-type wrench. IIRC, I tested a few and they were dead nuts accurate.

Originally Posted by alpinecrick
See?!!!!! I told you!!!!

And I bet you killed that baby bull without a $500 purple dillydo disguised as a torque wrench..........

It taking more than a $19 Chinese chrome club to torque my nuts isn’t something I’ll apologize for.
PULEEZE no video!

I’m thinking there’s a group buy in the works. That or the first annual 24HCF Secret Santa—or both.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19

laugh.......oooookay.......
Posted By: RickBin Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
I really have come to like the Vortex.
PULEEZE no video!

I’m thinking there’s a group buy in the works. That or the first annual 24HCF Secret Santa—or both.

I’m dead on balls serious about the later.
I'm in on a group buy.

hanco
I use 140s.

hanco
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
Farmer tight is best.

hanco

😎
This is "hunting" optics not wrenches bitches!

Jud
cool

Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Torque wrenches - 11/14/19
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Borka works well!

This^^^

John
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/16/19
I’ve had the Wheeler Fat Wrench for a couple of years now. Mounted probably close to 40 scopes with it and 35-40 action/stock screws. All that work for nothing! LOL I guess my screws are out of spec but I’m happy with it. I’ll replace it once I think it’s broken.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Torque wrenches - 11/16/19

It taking more than a $19 Chinese chrome club to torque my nuts isn’t something I’ll apologize for.

That’s what she said.........
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Torque wrenches - 11/16/19
What can you tell me about the "Brownells Magna-Tip Adjustable Torque Wrench?"
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-adjustable-torque-wrench-prod84011.aspx
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Torque wrenches - 11/17/19
[Linked Image]
Calibrating the Harbor Freight torque wrench.

An engineer at Caterpillar posted on practical machinist gunsmithing how to calculate max torque on a screw. He explained the whole wax, oil, and dry derating and 1.5 times the root [minor diameter] of engagement before the male screw breaks and the female thread stops stripping.

To drill and tap 10-32 holes the thin [that means the female is going to strip first, if you have not been paying attention] Mosin Nagant receiver and cantilever a scope base...
I bought an inch pounds torque wrench at Harbor Freight for $20.
I milled some mild steel to .1" thick.
I drilled and tapped 4 holes with #21 drill.
I expect that I should be ok with 52% of the usual high ratings
...a) waxed 52% of 34 in lb = 17.8 in lb, but measured a 15 and a 16 yield
...b) lubed with oil or grease 52% of 51 in lb = 26.5 in lb, but measured yield at 28 in lb
...c) dry 52% of 68 in lb = 34.7 in lb, but measured yield at 34 in lb

I put on loctite and torqued the scope base to 20 inch pounds.

[Linked Image]
Yes, I thought metric torque in my mouth was so funny, I got my dentist to pose.
I used to negotiate dental prices with his father.

Dental implant insertion torque
Minimum of 32 Ncm insertion torque was necessary for implants to achieve osseointegration. The minimum torque that can be employed to attain primary stability is undefined.

The cadaver bone stripped out. I had to go home and heal.

The next implant was cow bone, and it prospered in my jaw bone, and took the 32Ncm of torque the first time.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Torque wrenches - 11/17/19
I currently use Wiha, but the Capri looks sweet.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Torque wrenches - 11/17/19
Originally Posted by Rug3

All I can tell you is it's the same as the CDI TorqControl, which I have. The units on the two are different in that the Brownells is in-lb whereas the CDI is Nm. I have no idea of the accuracy when it clicks.
Posted By: lotech Re: Torque wrenches - 11/18/19
Originally Posted by Rug3

I've had good results with the Brownell tool for several years.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Torque wrenches - 11/18/19
Always imagined that you'd look like this...
© 24hourcampfire