Home
Posted By: 65Jeffrey vintage scope - 11/12/19
Need a scope recommendation for a classic MS 6.5x54 that still goes hunting on occasion.....scope needs to be good quality glass fixed 3 or 4 power ,used, with a little "patina" to it.

hoping to stay under $300, what should i be looking for?
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: vintage scope - 11/12/19
The early perma center Lymans seem to have better glass than the Weavers of the same vintage. They don't look out of place on about any vintage rifle.
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: vintage scope - 11/13/19
interesting.....what about Kollmorgen? always like something a bit different
what Euro brands would be appropriate and affordable?
Posted By: backtobethel Re: vintage scope - 11/13/19
The classic scope for a MS rifle is a Kahles. I’d go with a Super Helia. Made in the 50’s-80’s. Steel or aluminum, 26mm tube. I’d suggest a 4x, 6x, or a 2-7.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: vintage scope - 11/13/19
Here you go. A moderately priced German scope would be the icing on the cake, IMO.

https://thea.com/Rifle-Scopes-Reticle-1-Germany/

I would watch this one. I like the Pecars and have had many on combo guns. A 4X vintage Hensoldt would be an excellent choice, also, but every seller now claims theirs is a "sniper" scope and jacks the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264527820850

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113889835909

I've owned several of these. They're heavy, but they are tough as hammers with good optics.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113889845847
thanks for the input guys!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: vintage scope - 11/13/19
Early Weaver K-3 or K-4 with the brass lens retainers starting to show through, class and patina with function. 50 bucks tops. Proportioned more suitable for the 1903 model.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: vintage scope - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
interesting.....what about Kollmorgen? always like something a bit different

Most, maybe all, Kollmorgens have 26mm diameter tubes and it is hard to find good 26mm rings and when you do, they are expensive.

Have you considered a B.Nickel Supra? Nice bright German glass with, usually, a heavy reticle, These are 26mm scopes, but brighter than any Kollmorgen scope that I've looked through.
The tube size is gonna be critical as rifle has a "1 in Griffin Howe side mount base
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: vintage scope - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
The tube size is gonna be critical as rifle has a "1 in Griffin Howe side mount base

If I needed a 1" vintage scope, I'd rank Lyman above Redfield or Weaver.
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: vintage scope - 11/14/19
currently wearing a vintage weaver dot reticle....very hard to see
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: vintage scope - 11/14/19
Vintage 1” tubes scopes I’d rank as follows. Leupold M7 or early M8 followed closely by the Lyman All American “Perma Center” with a post-crosswire reticle. Both are constantly centered reticles.
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: vintage scope - 11/15/19
some Lyman are marked All-American others are marked All-American Permacenters.....whats difference?
Posted By: Woodhits Re: vintage scope - 11/15/19
I went through this exercise a few years back and landed on a Weaver K4 with a post reticle.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: vintage scope - 11/15/19
The “Perma center” marked scopes have constantly centered reticles, the older All American scopes don’t. You want a Perma center marked scope!
Posted By: erich Re: vintage scope - 11/15/19
If those G&H mounts have any windage adjustments in them an old Balvar 8 is still a pretty impressive scope for it's age. I mounted one up in Leupold Std. bases and rings for a target match, chicken eggs at 150 yards off of shooting sticks. I made it to the final round in masters(I won it a few years ago). I wanted to see how a 50 yr old scope would hold up against todays best, the scope didn't let me down, I saw the crosshairs drift off the egg just as I let the last shot go.

I took it out coyote hunting after the match.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: vintage scope - 11/16/19
Ditto on the Lyman Permacenter. Mine went out the door yesterday on a redundant Mauser, but it functioned perfectly, and was clear as, well glass.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: vintage scope - 11/16/19

Vintage scopes are very nice to look at, not so nice to hunt with when an opportunity to take a trophy is blown because of fogging in the rain or snow.
I use Leupold M8’s. Ymmv.
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: vintage scope - 11/16/19
the glass itself in the old weaver i have now is adequate but the dot disappears depending on background. while im looking for "better" reticle might as well get clearest glass i can while maintaining the vintage experience. and i really like the look of a 20mm objective on the little MS
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: vintage scope - 11/16/19
thanks for the pics....beautiful rifles by-the-way
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: vintage scope - 11/17/19
Why not just go vintage-ish? Doug would be happy to sell you a Meopta Artemis, steel tube, classic looks...modern glass. Believe they are on sale now too.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: vintage scope - 11/17/19
If I were hellbent on a vintage 1 inch scope of 2 or 3x I would seek out a Unertl. They made a short straight tubed 2 3/4x scope. (Some kind of bird name in its title.) Unertl optics were world class in their era of 1950's-60's-- much better than any other American glass from back then. I see them on eBay quite often, squarely in your price range.
Posted By: hanco Re: vintage scope - 11/17/19
Get a 3x9 Redfield widefield
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: vintage scope - 11/18/19
Meopta is great glass and yes they are on sale for very good price, but they are too big too heavy for a little carbine.
Unertl Hawk is a contender would prefer a 4x though.
all good ideas, thanks guys
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: vintage scope - 11/18/19
Unertl Falcon 2-1/2x, Leupold M7 or M8 3x, Lyman AA Perma Center 2-1/2 or 3x, Redfield Bear Cub 2-3/4x 1” tube. All these are 20mm objectives.b
© 24hourcampfire