Home
Posted By: 444Matt Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/18/19
I’ve always thought the full field II Scopes from Burris were decent optics for the non turret twister looking to save some cash. Recently came on a deal buying FFII 3-9 that included a 4.5-14 E1. Any reviews on the newer E1 series of scopes from Burris?
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/18/19
I've got four and they work very well. I have had no problems with them.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/18/19
Same here with the one I have, Moe. For the money it's a good scope. I have it on a Tikka LSA-55 in 243.
I personally like the E1 better, the Focus Ring doesn't move when you turn the Power Ring on it and it has real turrets. Not Super Chicken-good turrets you understand. Not everybody likes the E1 reticle though.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
Mine works great as a set it and forget it scope on my ruger no 1 300 H&H mag
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
I wish Burris would offer more reticle choices in the E1
Posted By: Beaudry Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
I have an e1 3-9 with a 30mm tube on a 243 pickup gun. For set it and forget it types it’s awesome
Matt, I love the FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle, but the E1 reticle is terrible. It's tiny and the dots are annoying. You can always buy the set and try it. If you like it, its good. If you don't, sell it on ebay. No harm no foul...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
Ive got one of the 3x9 FF E-1 with the German 3P#4 reticle. I prefer it over the FFII, which Ive had excellent luck with.
Looking for another with the lighted 3P#4 reticle...hard to find at a good price...
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive got one of the 3x9 FF E-1 with the German 3P#4 reticle. I prefer it over the FFII, which Ive had excellent luck with.
Looking for another with the lighted 3P#4 reticle...hard to find at a good price...

Friggin cats meow aren't they! Favorite reticle. Got mine for under $170- and of course alerted everyone here on where to find them at the time.

Only minor gripe is that the dot could be smaller but it is for hunting not targets. Glass is every bit as good as my VX-3 an was surprised to find it working at least as well in low light situations. A nice surprise.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
I like the E1 scopes and the FF scopes.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
I have several E1s. Never had an issue in and out of boats or on top of mountains.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
JB has nice things to say about those scopes in the latest Rifle Loony News. Good read, and a subscription is a great bargain.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19

How do they compare with your LER Hawkes? I'm partial to them as they've made a couple of mounting issues disappear. My son has a FF on his Kimber Hunter, and it was decent, but I had to crawl it a bit.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by 338rcm

If you want a standard plex, I have a note from Burris CS from 2018 stating that they'll install one for $60. Whether or not that price has changed a year later I have no idea, but it might be worth asking. Beats the heck out of the $200 another manufacturer is (or at least was) charging.

RM
Originally Posted by Pappy348

How do they compare with your LER Hawkes? I'm partial to them as they've made a couple of mounting issues disappear. My son has a FF on his Kimber Hunter, and it was decent, but I had to crawl it a bit.

Opticallyt they are definitely better than the Hawke Endurance, and I like the dot reticle a bit better than the x-hairs on the Hawke. Like them both mind you, but the Burris is yards ahead...
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19

We have the Burris Four X 1.5-6x42mm - 3P#4 E Dot Illuminated reduced to $259.99 and the Burris Four X 3-12x56mm Long Range - 4 Illuminated reduced to only $349.99
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

We have the Burris Four X 1.5-6x42mm - 3P#4 E Dot Illuminated reduced to $259.99 and the Burris Four X 3-12x56mm Long Range - 4 Illuminated reduced to only $349.99

Thanks, but on the lookout for a 3x9...
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
I have the four X 1.5-6 and like it a lot. If anyone is after a scope in that power range I can definitely recommend it.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by 338rcm

If you want a standard plex, I have a note from Burris CS from 2018 stating that they'll install one for $60. Whether or not that price has changed a year later I have no idea, but it might be worth asking. Beats the heck out of the $200 another manufacturer is (or at least was) charging.

RM

I was told by Burris that a reticle change wasn't a possibility in an E1 since it is etched in the glass

Maybe on a Fullfield 11 it is an option
Posted By: hunt_4646 Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/19/19
The E1 scope I had on 270 Win functioned perfectly. I never warmed to the reticul so I replaced it with Sightron BigSky.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/20/19
I didn't specify the model, so that's probably right.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/20/19
Update: here's the exact quote I received back from Burris. Evidently I did specify the model:

"Yes, we will also be able to install the reticle on the Fullfield E1."

Plex for (at the time) $60. Might be worth asking about current costs and availability.
Update: here's the exact quote I received back from Burris. Evidently I did specify the model:

Plex for (at the time) $60. Might be worth asking about current costs and availability.

By "install", they probably mean they will install a different lens. Since the reticle is etched in the glass. If they would offer the tried and true ballistic plex, i'd probably buy one.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/20/19
Just got off the phone with Burris. They will do reticle changes for $60 for a duplex or ballistic plex

Etched reticles are $160.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

By "install", they probably mean they will install a different lens. Since the reticle is etched in the glass. If they would offer the tried and true ballistic plex, i'd probably buy one.

So I got the E1 mounted, let me tell you at first prior to mounting I didn’t like the smaller reticle at all. But...after mounting its growing on me. I’m used to reticles that extend all the way. Hopefully I’ll make the range tomorrow and be able to report back.
Posted By: Crusader Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/20/19
I have the E1 in 3-9x40 on a Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308. Makes a great lightweight rig for elk hunting in the mountains. I think the reticle might be an acquired taste, I like it a lot after being so-so when I first got it. Loaned that rig to my nephew this past weekend for deer season opener in Missouri; he's "between rifles" and needed something. I thought he might balk at that reticle, being used to crosshairs extending all the way out. But he bagged an 8-point buck opening morning and a coyote later in the day and said he loved the reticle and the open space in the scope view.
Posted By: howard1 Re: Burris E1 rifle scopes - 11/21/19
I have a 4x14 E1 on a 280 remington. With a 140 accu bond this ballistic plex is minute of deer out to 500 yards. Really happy with mine
© 24hourcampfire