Home
Got my clock rung last week.I have a concussion and can only shoot a light kicker for deer hunting.I have 60 grain Nosler Partitions or the 64 grain Bonded Noslers.Shots will be under 100 yards.Any favorite loads or comments on these two bullets?I need to get them loaded and sighted in by tomorrow.Thanks ahead,Huntz
I know a guy who watched his grandson kill several deer with the little NPT. He said it dug deep. That's what I'd shoot.
Given my luck with first-trys would load some of each. Haven't used those bullets but had good results with IMR-4350 behind 63s and 70s. Accuracy and terminal effect, both.
You got any H380? dump 36 grains in have at it!!
I've never gotten the 64 BSB to group very well. The 60 NPT is a good one, as well as the 62 gr. Fed Fusion. I got a thou from Rocky Mtn Reloading and they shoot very well in my 8 twist 22-250. I don't know if they have any more. Those are not readily available as a reloading bullet.

The biggest surprise was the 75 gr. (advertised as 80 gr) MidwayUSA surplus bullets I got a few years ago. With some research, I learned they're made for Horn short barreled tactical ammo, not offered as a reloading bullet. That doesn't help you, just to say 80 gr. bullets can really group well in an 8 twist.

The 75 gr. SSII is a good one, although you gotta work with COAL to get them to group. I use them in my .22-204 for hogs.

There are number of good 75-80 grain bullets that should work in an 8 twist. Other may chime in with suggestions.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have no experience with the bonded 64 grain.

I've shot the 60 grain partition in a few guns. The 1-14" twist .22-250s and .220 Swifts gave me 3-4 inch groups with indications of keyholing. It has done better in a couple AR-15s with 1-8" twists .. maybe inch and a half best for 5 shots. While it is not great, depending on the distance, it may be good enough.

The best accuracy I've gotten from a hunting bullet in .22 was from the 55 grain TBBC in one of those 1-14" .22-250s .. just under MOA, and shot THROUGH stuff instead of merely shooting INTO stuff. Wasn't happy with the bloodshot but I sure can't complain about penetration.

If you can find them in time, the 70 grain Accubonds are shooting ok in those 1-8" twist ARs. I would definitely look to them as a candidate for a 1-8" twist .22-250.

Tom
Speer 70 grain soft point

1x8 will shoot it just fine.

My .223 1x8 26" tube loves it.

Hits hard.

Inexpensive too. $13.95 a hundred at Grafs and sons.

Last 1,000 I ordered in September they were at that price.

Killed 6 pigs this summer with that bullet. No flies on this bullet.

Good luck.
There are several Barnes TTSX bullets that you may want to try. The 62 gr, shot pretty fast should whack about anything up to stuff that will eat or stomp ya... Bigger guns for those critters...

DF.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
There are several Barnes TTSX bullets that you may want to try. The 62 gr, shot pretty fast should whack about anything up to stuff that will eat or stomp ya... Bigger guns for those critters...

DF.

the 62 grain TTSX pushed by some CFE223 will likely train wreck any deer you run across.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

DF.

the 62 grain TTSX pushed by some CFE223 will likely train wreck any deer you run across.

I use 8208 with the 62 TTSX for 3550 and man is it accurate at 600 for me. I’ve got it ready for deer season as well. Have no doubts it’ll be excellent.
8208 is also highly rated for this bullet. I will try it also.
80 grain Berger's....
We have killed deer with the 64 BSB. Use that one, no matter the accuracy. At short-range the accuracy won't matter. It is a monster killer bullet. You can run it as fast as possible--it will open to a double-size mushroom and maintain 95% of its weight.

We have had it break both shoulders and exit on large bucks.
DakotaDeer, is that a Nosler bullet?
Huntz

I've used both bullets you mentioned and prefer the 64 nosler. it's a killer.

33.5 grains of Varget worked very well for me
SPS now has them at a good price.

DF
Originally Posted by Huntz
Got my clock rung last week.I have a concussion and can only shoot a light kicker for deer hunting.I have 60 grain Nosler Partitions or the 64 grain Bonded Noslers.Shots will be under 100 yards.Any favorite loads or comments on these two bullets?I need to get them loaded and sighted in by tomorrow.Thanks ahead,Huntz

I would be hesitant. At least very particular to the shot I take. Fine for the smaller deer of say W.VA, but your tag says N.E. Wisconsin which is known for some much bigger deer.
Both work well. I like the 64 grain.
Originally Posted by beretzs

DF.

I use 8208 with the 62 TTSX for 3550 and man is it accurate at 600 for me. I’ve got it ready for deer season as well. Have no doubts it’ll be excellent.

The 62 Barnes works very well in my 223 AR’s. I’ve hit a half dozen 200 lb pigs at 150 to 225 yards. They went through both shoulders to parts unknown. They would be extra awesome out of a 22-250
I've used the 60 NPT with great success on deer. My nephews killed 3 deer this fall with 1-8 twisted 22-250's and 60 grain NPT's. Loads were 33 grains of H4895. Shot well too.
I have killed a lot of deer and pigs with the 77 grain Sierra TMK, and wouldn’t consider using anything else now
I understand that the 64 BSB has great terminal ballistics. It's hard for me to get excited about a bullet that is barely MOA, or slighly over MOA at best, when I can shoot sub MOA or even half MOA bullets. I understand the difference is moot when it comes to everyday hunting, guess I'm just too big a Loony when it comes to such things.

For sure it's more the idea than where the rubber meets the road.

Just me.

DF
I got the Nosler partition to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards using Varget.That is what I have decided to use.Thanks for all the useful input,Huntz
Originally Posted by Huntz
I got the Nosler partition to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards using Varget.That is what I have decided to use.Thanks for all the useful input,Huntz

Good choice. Hard to go wrong with a Partition.

DF
64 BSB does indeed work well and will certainly hold up to 22/250 velocity, whether or not you get sufficient accuracy to suit you is another problem, but then it can be with any bullet, can't it?

Yes, the Nosler Bonded Solid Base 64 grain. It will outpenetrate a 180 CoreLokt 30-06, as an example.

As to accuracy, it shoots 1" groups or so. What better is needed for hunting deer?
Have gotten great results with the 70-grain Hornady GMX and Superformance powder, including the biggest pronghorn I've taken in a while.
Mine shoots the 60 gr NPs and 60 gr Hornady Interlocks quite well.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Yes, the Nosler Bonded Solid Base 64 grain. It will outpenetrate a 180 CoreLokt 30-06, as an example.

As to accuracy, it shoots 1" groups or so. What better is needed for hunting deer?

I better try some of those.
CFE223 works for me in .223. BC ain't too high though Cliff.
CFE sure meters well!!
I’m surprised that the 65 gr Sierra Gameking hasn’t been mentioned. It’s an accurate and deadly little bullet. I dropped two hogs with it yesterday morning and was again impressed how it put them down. I can’t say that it’s any better with deer and hogs than the Nosler Partition, but it is easier to work up an accurate load. But...no stinkin way you’ll be able to use it in a 14 twist 220 or 22-250. I tried, and I don’t know where those bullets went. I never hit paper at 100 yards.
Originally Posted by 603Country
I’m surprised that the 65 gr Sierra Gameking hasn’t been mentioned. It’s an accurate and deadly little bullet. I dropped two hogs with it yesterday morning and was again impressed how it put them down. I can’t say that it’s any better with deer and hogs than the Nosler Partition, but it is easier to work up an accurate load. But...no stinkin way you’ll be able to use it in a 14 twist 220 or 22-250. I tried, and I don’t know where those bullets went. I never hit paper at 100 yards.

Never tried the 65 SGK in my 8 twist 22.250, but it sure shoots well in my 8 twist .223 custom Mini 14.

Just killed targets, no critters, although it should do well there, too.

DF

80-88 ELDMs for me....

DF - you sure you shot that with a Mini-14, I had one years (like 20) ago that shot patterns (like a shotgun)...

Then again I was a kid and someone probably smoked it and sold it (I bought it cheap)...

Nice group
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

DF - you sure you shot that with a Mini-14, I had one years (like 20) ago that shot patterns (like a shotgun)...

Then again I was a kid and someone probably smoked it and sold it (I bought it cheap)...

Nice group

Not your typical Ranch Rifle...

Send your Mini and a grand or so to these people and it'll shoot like this... grin

This work was done years ago when their prices were less

https://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/Mini-14-30-Letter.php

DF
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
64 BSB does indeed work well and will certainly hold up to 22/250 velocity, whether or not you get sufficient accuracy to suit you is another problem, but then it can be with any bullet, can't it?

I even got some factory 64 BSB ammo to try in my 8 twist Rem 600/Shilen .22-250. I want to see if they can get that bullet grouping better than I’ve been able to. Have yet to check that out. Other projects keep getting in the way. Any info on how factory ammo shoots?

DF
Only thing wrong with the partition is BC. Nos should BC it to compete
Anybody shooting the Barnes factory 50-grainer in 8-twist /250?

Does it group adequately?

Wish they'd make a factory 62 and/or 70 grain VOR-TX. Suggested it to them awhile back and could hear crickets chirping.

Hornady could easily beat them to the draw on heavy .22/250 OTC loads.

Sorry for drift...
77 Scenar would be perfect
Originally Posted by 10at6

Never tried those. Bet they’ll group.

DF
Originally Posted by 10at6

Never tried those. Bet they’ll group.

DF

Yep does not give up much to the 80 gr MK.
© 24hourcampfire