Home
I'm looking for a scope that will hold zero. That's really all I ask of it, since it will go on a rifle that I don't plan on dialing with. I know the SWFA fixed scope is supposed to be rock solid, but it is heavy, big, and has turrets that stick out. Is there an alternative that even the SWFA guys think works all right? Would going with a fixed power scope (something like a fixed Leupold 6x42 or even a Weaver 6x) make for better reliability?

In the past I've had VX-1 and VX-2 scopes and they've been fine. I've even killed things with them successfully. But I would like the peace of mind that comes with having a scope that is 24hourcampfire approved! I'm just kidding on the 24hourcampfire part, but I would like a scope that people in the know think is tough and reliable, and if SWFA represents the new standard of quality, why settle for less? If it has to be a SWFA then so be it. But if I can get similar zero-holding ability in a lighter and smaller package (for around the same price or less), that'd be great.
I have a Leupold VX II that has been mounted on my 30-06 since 2006. I dialed in my hand loads at 100 yards (H4350 and 165 gr Sierra HPBT Gamekings), then grouped that load at 200 yards. Made some minor adjustments, then went back to 100 and 200 yards to confirm.

I still use the same case lot # on the powder and primers. And I have not touched the adjustments since then (2006).

For the past 6 or 7 years, I have not even done sight in shots prior to hunting season. No need. Zero hasn't changed in 13 years.

I am not brand loyal, but, I am scope loyal, and this one is a good one.

Take what you will from this post.

GB
My first 2 choices for set and forget scopes are burris fullfield 2 and meopta meopro
I'll second the Meopta Meopro
I will be the third on Meopta then ! 6x42.
Surprising how many scopes will.

But several variables in a system, not counting the weather & the shooter that might be keeping them from doing it.
Another Meopro fan
I like the Leupold M8 scopes, especially the 6x36 and 6x42, as well as 3x and 4x. Sometimes it’s a bit of a dance getting them zeroed, but once there I have found them rock solid, much more so than any of their variables.

Another that holds zero very well, and it is a variable, are the Burris Fullfield IIs, the Philippine models. They also track quite well.
Originally Posted by westernsloper
Would going with a fixed power scope (something like a fixed Leupold 6x42 or even a Weaver 6x) make for better reliability?

I firmly believe so.

If you go leupold 6x42, look for a FXIII instead of a FX3.
Burris FFII 3-9×40 with ballistic plex reticle.

Bushnell elite 4200 rifle scopes.

Zeiss conquest

Zeiss Terra 3-9×42
Never had an issue with Leupolds. Outside of this forum, I’ve found they are held in high regard. Of course if you compare a $300 to a $1000 scope, you should expect to find some deficiencies, but holding zero has never been an issue with me.
Simmons, tasco, and centerpoint. In no particular order are primo.....
A fixed scope has less moving parts...variables can certainly be made to be reliable but if you're looking at the same build quality in a fixed vs variable a fixed "should" be tougher. I like the S&B Klassic 6x42 for set and forget. Several have been good for me on adjustments and holding zero in both 1" and 30mm. It's not a small scope but isn't massive either.
I had the 6x meopro but did not like it for my hunting here in the southeast. I have a 1-6 Leupold that went back to the factory early on, its on a 223 now, I don't dial it, I do take it out and fire 3-4 rounds once a year, it has stayed zeroed now for 5 years or so with Federal 62 grain fusion ammunition. I have a friend that re-zeroes all of his scopes once a year, mostly because he cannot remember what ammunition he used to zero them with the last year. It's kind of an annual ritual, and kind of amusing. A lot of times people get frustrated because the scope mounts are not solid or secure, or the ammunition they are using is different. Once I find something that works in a particular rifle I stay with it, on Monday my Grandson killed a buck at 120 yards using a 6.8 spc. All I shoot out of that gun is a 95 grain TTSX over 30 grains of Benchmark in a Hornady case with CCI primers. I have not shot that gun in 3 years, first bullet put the deer down. Now if you bash you scope against something its wise to check the zero, but if you stick with the same load, don't fire 500-1000 rounds a year out of a heavy recoiling gun, don't dial the scope, you will be amazed at how long a scope will hold a hunting zero. That said I do own a NF 2.5 - 10 x 42 that sits on a heavy barreled 6.5 creedmore. Get the right or best tool for the job, Meopta seems to offer a good 1 inch hunting scope, you might look at Tract their 1 inch scopes have received no major complaints that I can discern except dialing range I think. I would not touch a cheap Vortex, today if I had to replace the old Kahles on my 308 Montana it would probably be the Tract toric 3-15.
I bought a Leupold VXR a while back, really like it. Seem to hold zero very good. Nice clear glass. I have bought 3 more since.
Leupold FX II, VX 2, VX3i, Burris FFII, Zeiss Conquest. All set and forget. I calculate "point blank range" on 6" kill zone. Site in for that range, pretty easy to get to 300 yards without any fanfare. Has worked for me. Point and shoot. grin
Leupold has always been there for me, i use to buy/sell/trade on a Regular basis, I can safely say that i have owned 50-60 Leupold Scopes over the Years, I had 1 Failure out of ALL of those Scopes, and it Happened right out of the Box Brand new, Leupold Replaced it Immediately. The Majority of the Models i owned were VX-1 and VX-2s, with a Few VX-3s

I just recently bought a Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 MOAR-T, a 2,200 Dollar Scope, It is an AWESOME Scope NO DOUBT, But in ALL Honesty, I like my 225-300 Dollar Leupolds JUST AS WELL

My Little .308 with 1 of my NUMEROUS Leupolds at 750 Yards, over the Hood of my Truck 👍 What’s not to Love? 🙂 This is a Simple VX-2 With CDS, the Dial is for a 6.5 Creedmoor i no longer own, the Turret matches my .308 REALLY Close
With the above said, I have NO EXPERIENCE with the newest of New Leupold Stuff, The last Leupold i bought was about 4, maybe 5 years ago? It would be The VX-2 CDS Scope on the .308 in the video above. The newer Leupolds i have seen have Bold White lettering iirc?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Burris FFII 3-9×40 with ballistic plex reticle.

Bushnell elite 4200 rifle scopes.

Zeiss conquest

Zeiss Terra 3-9×42

I'll second the Elite 4200 and Zeiss Conquest, although my only experience is with the older Japanese-made 4200.
I have had good luck with my Leupolds. I swapped from Leupold windage adjustable bases and Leupold rings to Talley bases and rings. The Leupold, dual turn in rings are good but I gave up on the windage adjustable system
I can advocate for the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. My rifle took a hard fall this season and landed directly on the scope. The rifle hit so hard that I was expecting the lenses to be broken. What I found was a flat spot on the knurled elevation cap and a dent on the tube approximately 1 inch in front of the elevation turret.

The scope still tracks like it always has, which is very reliable. The rifle grouping was not affected. The POI did shift down approximately 1/2", that was verified with 5 shot groups. I would have probably not noticed a difference with a single shot.
Some Burris scopes use to have an actual zero lock, don't know if any still do.

Phil
The SWFA are a bit heavier, but in reality, you are only talking a few ounces. They are totally reliable and inexpensive. If you do not like the turrets, then sight it in, remove them and replace them with rubber caps. I have used them for several years and never felt like the turrets are a problem. If you think that you will bump them off zero, you can sight it in and then tape them, too. I will take them hands-down, over the more expensive leupolds, vortex etc.
Holding zero is a must but I also want a scope to be true to its adjustments and know I can trust it.

I tend to swap scopes and hate to find out that it will not adjust properly like a lot of scopes I have owned.

Just because it has not changed zero does mean its adjustments will track.

That's when you find out if a scope is working correctly.

Had the worst luck with certain models of Leupolds, even after they came back from the Leupold repair facility.
Originally Posted by sbhooper
The SWFA are a bit heavier, but in reality, you are only talking a few ounces. They are totally reliable and inexpensive. If you do not like the turrets, then sight it in, remove them and replace them with rubber caps. I have used them for several years and never felt like the turrets are a problem. If you think that you will bump them off zero, you can sight it in and then tape them, too. I will take them hands-down, over the more expensive leupolds, vortex etc.

Well I hope the 6x42 SWFA's are as good as they say, because I just bought one. You're right that it's only a few ounces, and it's worth it for reliability I can count on. $199 for the Mil Quad is pretty unbeatable.
© 24hourcampfire