Home
Posted By: Remsen Damage to scope question - 12/01/19
I took a pretty good tumble earlier today when I was trying to fill my MT deer tag on this last day of the season. Short story is that there was a ton of snow, I had on snowshoes and caught a hidden branch. I went flying one way, rifle went the other way and both my knee and the scope hit rocks. The objective housing (not sure it's the right term, it's the extension of the objective bell that extends sorta like a sun shade) got a nice dent in it.

Maybe this came at the right time, with all the sales on, but I actually like this scope (it's a Leupold with CDS that actually works great for the ranges I hunt in) and there is no apparent damage to either the glass or the reticle. I haven't shot it since the damage occurred, though, and wanted to know if anyone has an idea whether this kind of damage is of the type where it's just better to toss the scope and get a new one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Damage to scope question - 12/01/19
glad you are OK first of all!

scope, ahhhh buff right out, lol
Call Leupold service and tell them your story. They will probably repair or replace it.
Get a hold of them they will make it good.

My friend slipped on some ice and fell on his back,the rifle was underneath him.
The tube was bent forward of the turrets.

They fixed him after a short wait,they did some other things to it as well.

It is as good as new.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Damage to scope question - 12/01/19
Thanks, everyone, I hadn't even thought about sending it back to Leupold since it was entirely my fault, but if they can fix it that would be my first choice.

Send it to Leupold with a note telling them the story and how you and the scope fared. Odds are they will repair it for a small or no cost.
Posted By: Judman Re: Damage to scope question - 12/02/19
They’ll fix it without a question brother man...
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Damage to scope question - 12/02/19
Leupold charged me $40 to do a repair on a very similar dent. I damaged it again, same dent, same charge. I’m okay paying for what I broke, but I guess Leupold just didn’t like me...
Originally Posted by 270jrk
Leupold charged me $40 to do a repair on a very similar dent. I damaged it again, same dent, same charge. I’m okay paying for what I broke, but I guess Leupold just didn’t like me...

I'd call 40 bucks a hell'uva deal for a scope that you broke...........
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Damage to scope question - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Get a hold of them they will make it good.

My friend slipped on some ice and fell on his back,the rifle was underneath him.
The tube was bent forward of the turrets.

They fixed him after a short wait,they did some other things to it as well.

It is as good as new.

This happened to me and they told me to buy a new one.
Posted By: Mull Re: Damage to scope question - 12/03/19
Leupold Fixed A 4.5-14-50MM For Me for $40 As Well.. It Wasn't As Bad As Your , But I Still Wanted It Fixed.. Sent a Swarovski Back One Time In 3 Pc... $300 They Sent Me a New One..
Posted By: hanco Re: Damage to scope question - 12/03/19
They will do you right, small repair fee.
Posted By: crsides Re: Damage to scope question - 12/06/19
A little Ren wax and it'll be good to go.
Leupold replaced a 4x scope that had been dropped. I bought that scope new for $50.00 tax and all. This should give you an idea how old this scope was. This scope dropped recently and sent in for repairs. The company replaced the scope with a new FX-4. I had Burris, to be fair, replace the objective lens on a 3-9x50 that had been cracked by a previous owner.
I just sent a 3.5X10 in a week ago after it's meeting with a concrete floor.

Will post as soon as I hear from Leupold.

Lefty
Posted By: Remsen Re: Damage to scope question - 01/16/20
So I got the scope back from Leupold...they fixed it for no additional cost. I've always had good luck with Leupolds (though, in fairness, mine are 10-20 years old) and appreciate that they fixed my mistake.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Damage to scope question - 01/16/20
Glad to hear they helped.
© 24hourcampfire